PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Cleveland remaining schedules

cheeses_h_rice
09-12-2005, 04:08 PM
The remaining schedules for both teams point out how crucial the head-to-head games are going to be, I think.

The Sox have the following remaining:

3 @ KC
3 @ MN, 4 at home
3 @ Cle, 3 at home
4 @ Det

The Twins are just about out of the race, and the Tigers and Royals are, so I think the schedule slighlty favors the Sox, although Cleveland has an additional 4 against KC that we don't.

The Jndjans have:

3 Oak at home
3 KC at home, 4 @ KC
3 @ Chi, 3 at home
3 TB at home

So the differences in the schedules are:

The Sox play the Twins 7 times more.
The Sox play the Tigers 3 times.

The Jndjans play the A's 3 times.
The Jndjans play the Royals 4 times more.
The Jndjans play the Devil Rays 3 times.

This gives a slight advantage to Cleveland outside of the head-to-head games, making this A's/Jndjans series pretty huge.

voodoochile
09-12-2005, 04:15 PM
This gives a slight advantage to Cleveland outside of the head-to-head games, making this A's/Jndjans series pretty huge.

No... Not if the schedules are that close. It is simply a matter of matching their record while not giving up the extra 6 losses the Sox have in their favor.

Nothing is huge unless the Sox go seriously in the tank against teams they should be beating easily and/or get smoked by Cleveland head to head...

Sol Good, Cheeses...:D:

mr_genius
09-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Nothing is huge unless the Sox go seriously in the tank against teams they should be beating easily and/or get smoked by Cleveland head to head...

:moron

"If the sox go seriously in the tank? The stinky sox are done. May I suggest, vodoo, that you refrain from attacking 3rd base umpires during this difficult stretch"

dcb33
09-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Cleveland is 7-5 vs. KC and 4-3 vs. TB thus far in 2005. They are going to have to play better ball against those two clubs if they want to win the Wild Card, let alone catch the Sox for the Central crown.

cheeses_h_rice
09-12-2005, 04:22 PM
No... Not if the schedules are that close. It is simply a matter of matching their record while not giving up the extra 6 losses the Sox have in their favor.

Sol Good, Cheeses...:D:

I agree, but if the Sox lose 4 of 6 to the Indians, the slight tilt in the remaining games towards the Tribe could be a cause of concern. If the Sox beat up on the patsies, they should be fine.

Ol' No. 2
09-12-2005, 04:25 PM
The remaining schedules for both teams point out how crucial the head-to-head games are going to be, I think.

The Sox have the following remaining:

3 @ KC
3 @ MN, 4 at home
3 @ Cle, 3 at home
4 @ Det

The Twins are just about out of the race, and the Tigers and Royals are, so I think the schedule slighlty favors the Sox, although Cleveland has an additional 4 against KC that we don't.

The Jndjans have:

3 Oak at home
3 KC at home, 4 @ KC
3 @ Chi, 3 at home
3 TB at home

So the differences in the schedules are:

The Sox play the Twins 7 times more.
The Sox play the Tigers 3 times.

The Jndjans play the A's 3 times.
The Jndjans play the Royals 4 times more.
The Jndjans play the Devil Rays 3 times.

This gives a slight advantage to Cleveland outside of the head-to-head games, making this A's/Jndjans series pretty huge.Who has the advantage hinges a lot on what you assume for the Twins. Based on the way they've been playing lately, they may not be much of a threat. That makes the three games the Indians have against the A's pretty important.

cheeses_h_rice
09-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Who has the advantage hinges a lot on what you assume for the Twins. Based on the way they've been playing lately, they may not be much of a threat. That makes the three games the Indians have against the A's pretty important.
Yep, but keep in mind, the Twins absolutely despise the White Sox, so they're not going to ratchet down the intensity regardless if those games mean anything to them or not.

mr_genius
09-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Yep, but keep in mind, the Twins absolutely despise the White Sox, so they're not going to ratchet down the intensity regardless if those games mean anything to them or not.

Thats true.

I guess all of our "impressive" second place finishes really pissed em off.

miker
09-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Thats true. I guess all of our "impressive" second place finishes really pissed em off.
The Twins are just jealous that the Sox payroll is higher and U.S. Cellular Field isn't made out of plastic.

Daver
09-12-2005, 04:39 PM
The Devil Dogs have been playing very well since the ASB, I'm glad that they are on Cleveland's schedule instead of the Sox schedule.

dcb33
09-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I think the most important factor in the division race is whether or not the Sox continue to own the Tigers and Royals. If they take 6 or 7 of those 7 games, they could play .500 ball against Minnesota and Cleveland and the division crown would more than likely be theirs.

Bottom line for the Sox is if they want this to be easy, they'd better beat who they're supposed to and not lay an egg this week in KC.

MarySwiss
09-12-2005, 04:56 PM
I think the most important factor in the division race is whether or not the Sox continue to own the Tigers and Royals. If they take 6 or 7 of those 7 games, they could play .500 ball against Minnesota and Cleveland and the division crown would more than likely be theirs.

Bottom line for the Sox is if they want this to be easy, they'd better beat who they're supposed to and not lay an egg this week in KC.

Yep.

Flight #24
09-12-2005, 04:57 PM
True, but looking at who Minnecrapolis has been rolling out there of late, I don't know that it matters a ton as long as the Sox play halfway decently.

Unless the thought of Mike Ryan, Juan Castro, Jason Tyner, Terry Tiffee, Jason Bartlett, and Chris Heintz is putting the fear of LAA into you. Latest word is Carlos Silva may have knee surgery rather than waiting until the offseason. Kyle Lohse is hurt. Santana's hurting (and may have his start pushed back).

These games will turn on how well the Sox play. If they're just halfway decent, it'll be fine.

DaveIsHere
09-12-2005, 05:24 PM
I dont think any of this matters if the Sox at least hit the ball, especially once in a while when a Runner is in Scoring position.

I have found that a base hit with a runner on can go a long way....call me Crazy:D:

Pasqua's Posers
09-12-2005, 05:35 PM
fRANKLY, i HAVE LITTLE WORRIES (2-3%) THAT THE SOX WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. MY CONCERN IS WHAT THEY WILL DO WHEN THEY GET THERE. I HAVE LIVED AND DIED WITH THIS TEAM THROUGH EVERY GAME THIS YEAR AND NOTHING SHORT OF A WORLD SERIES VICTORY WILL BE A FAILURE

LETS GO SOX! LET'S GO A'S (FOR THE NEXT THREE NIGHTS) HELP US OUT...

Pasqua's Posers
09-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Sorry about the caps....at work.:?:

hose
09-12-2005, 05:48 PM
The Sox have 20 games left , if they win 10 of those games they will end up 97-65.

Cleveland has 19 games left and would have to go 15-4 just to tie the Sox and 16-3 to over take them.

The Sox are in the drivers seat, start chilling the the champaign .:gulp:

enurb
09-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Here's a bit of good news -- Johan Santana pitches Wednesday at Detroit meaning he will not pitch against the Sox this weekend. Of course, a rainout could impact the rotation schedule.

BeviBall!
09-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Here's a bit of good news -- Johan Santana pitches Wednesday at Detroit meaning he will not pitch against the Sox this weekend. Of course, a rainout could impact the rotation schedule.

This is correct. But, he would face us the last home game of the season (25th). Who cares? Ozzie has learned not to stack the lineup with righties against him.

Lip Man 1
09-12-2005, 06:40 PM
It was either Nellie or No.2 who said in another thread that Santana has a bad back and his start may be pushed back. How convienent!Lip

BeviBall!
09-12-2005, 06:49 PM
It was either Nellie or No.2 who said in another thread that Santana has a bad back and his start may be pushed back. How convienent!Lip

I know he had a cracked nail/blister in his last outing. According to TSN, he's still scheduled to pitch Wednesday. Either way is fine... we'll be seeing "Santanas" in October anyway.

Mots09
09-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Who would have thunk it in July we would be talking about holding off the charging Indians to win the division...

My o my Kenny Williams was right.. Sox fans earned the right to be pesimistic even during a great year for the club because of recent history.

I am sitting here confident the Sox win the division by 9 games!:dtroll:

FloridaSox
09-12-2005, 07:06 PM
...the Sox and Indians tie for first in AL Central, playoff is in Cleveland.