PDA

View Full Version : From worst to first...

ja1022
09-12-2005, 10:33 AM
...congratulations to the Gary Railcats of the independent Northern League for winning the league's Southern Division playoff, and the opportunity to play for the league championship. Yesterday, I was lucky enough to decide to go to the Steel Yard over Cellmiskey and it was great. Just last year, Gary set a league record for suckage (that's a technical term) losing 65 games under the expert managerial guidance of three time All-Star Garry Templeton. This past winter, the Cats went out and hired Greg Tagert, a successful manager out of the Frontier League (Windy City Thunderbolts, Rockford RiverHawks) and turned the franchise around.

For those of you that really like the game of baseball, I would highly reccomend these independent leagues. I believe I've seen Mr. Labrum's endorsement of the the Joliet Jackhammers and Silver Cross Stadium before, and the Flyer's have a nice little gig up in Schaumburg. For me, the neat thing about independent ball is that most of these guys have either slipped out of, or weren't quite good enough to play affiliated ball. Never the less, these guys are good and the level of play is high. Maybe more importantly, they play because they love the game. It sure ain't about the money.

The Cats' stadium, The Steel Yard, is easy to get to from the south burbs and northwest Indiana. It's a great, great venue for baseball, the beer is cold, the food is good, and for those concerned about the Gary thing, it's safe.

http://www.railcatsbaseball.com/PressRelease_detail.asp?ID=571

skobabe8
09-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Converted and I went to the clincher last week and had a great time. I wanted to give her a little preview of what the Sox clincher is gonna be like. (Not even close, but still :D: )

The Steel Yard is awesome.

http://www.railcatsbaseball.com/stadium.asp

ja1022
09-13-2005, 12:42 PM
I wanted to give her a little preview of what the Sox clincher is gonna be like.

Let's hope you're right, Sko. And let's hope it happens at home.

MUsoxfan
09-13-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm a fan of the Independent leagues, namely the Jackhammers. I've wanted to make it out to the Steelyard but I have the constant fear that I'll be locked in bumper-to-bumper traffic for 3 hours each way on I-80/94

skobabe8
09-13-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm a fan of the Independent leagues, namely the Jackhammers. I've wanted to make it out to the Steelyard but I have the constant fear that I'll be locked in bumper-to-bumper traffic for 3 hours each way on I-80/94

Smooth sailing when we went.

ja1022
09-13-2005, 04:46 PM

I don't know if you prefer to blast down 83 to 127th and Cicero or take I-55 to 294, but from 294 and Cicero you're looking at probably 35 to 45 minutes in most cases.

Once you're in the park, you can move around and see the game from different vantage points because the Cats' attend....ahh....stadium hasn't had alot of fans there. In fact, on Sunday there were only 1000+ fans in atten....the seats. Too bad, because it's a great value and a great story and there really should be more fans atte....seeing them play.

miker
09-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Once you're in the park, you can move around and see the game from different vantage points because the Cats' attend....ahh....stadium hasn't had alot of fans there. In fact, on Sunday there were only 1000+ fans in atten....the seats. Too bad, because it's a great value and a great story and there really should be more fans atte....seeing them play.
Sounds like the White Sox aren't the only team whose patronage is affected by negative stereotypes of their stadium's location.

PatK
09-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Well it certainly isn't scenic driving to the park. But it's a nice park and parking is free.

I was going to go to the game Sunday, but had to go to a family function.