PDA

View Full Version : Should Uribe Move to the 3rd Spot in the Order?

TomBradley72
09-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Looking at what we have to work with right now....do we move Uribe to the #3 hole to get a some more production/energy at the top of the line up?

Something like this:

Podsednik
Iguchi
Uribe
Konerko
Dye
Everett
Rowand
AJ
Crede

TaylorStSox
09-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Looking at what we have to work with right now....do we move Uribe to the #3 hole to get a some more production/energy at the top of the line up?

Something like this:

Podsednik
Iguchi
Uribe
Konerko
Dye
Everett
Rowand
AJ
Crede

At this point, I'd move the hottest hitter to the 3rd spot. Right now, it's Uribe.

Rowand's an absolute joke in the 3rd spot.

bennyw41
09-12-2005, 09:40 AM
I say no. Uribe is hot right now, but far from the most consistent hitter. I think Ozzie should put Rowand there, he can be a good steady force at the 3.

Mr. White Sox
09-12-2005, 09:44 AM

Something like this:

Podsednik
Iguchi
Uribe
Konerko
Dye
Everett
Rowand
AJ
Crede

I'd love to see this, although this will be met with criticism:

1. Podsednik
2. Uribe
3. Iguchi
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Everett
7. AJ
8. Crede
9. Rowand

Fredsox
09-12-2005, 09:49 AM

1. Podsednik
2. Uribe
3. Iguchi
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Everett
7. AJ
8. Crede
9. Rowand

Not necessarily. You'd like to have some bat control in the #2 slot and Uribe has never demonstrated a lot of patience at the plate, but when he's hot he's unstoppable. Moving Iguchi to #3, a position he's very familiar with, really is not too wacky given his abilities.

TomBradley72
09-12-2005, 09:50 AM

1. Podsednik
2. Uribe
3. Iguchi
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Everett
7. AJ
8. Crede
9. Rowand

I like Iguchi in the 3rd hole...but concerned with Uribe's ability to help with "small ball" when we just need to move Pods over, etc....maybe we should pull out a page from the 1983 playbook...move our catcher to the #2 slot?

SoxFan76
09-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Uribe is a very streaky hitter. He's hot right now, but before long it's going to be back to this old ways. I don't think that's a dark cloud way of thinking, it's just the facts. Uribe is streaky. What happens when he goes into a cold streak? You just move somebody else into the 3rd spot? I think this just says something about the White Sox offense. Even an average offense should have consistent reliable bats in the 3rd and 4th spots.

SoxFan76
09-12-2005, 10:19 AM
I like Iguchi in the 3rd hole...but concerned with Uribe's ability to help with "small ball" when we just need to move Pods over, etc....maybe we should pull out a page from the 1983 playbook...move our catcher to the #2 slot?

AJ can bunt, he's proven that before. He's a contact hitter (despite his low average this year, AJ at least makes contact), and I think he would do fine in the 2nd spot. He never walks, but I guess you can't have it all.

White Sox Randy
09-12-2005, 10:22 AM

1. Podsednik
2. Uribe
3. Iguchi
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Everett
7. AJ
8. Crede
9. Rowand

I'm almost with you.

1. Pods
2. Uribe
3. Iguchi
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Everett
7. Rowand
8. A.J.
9. Crede

kittle42
09-12-2005, 10:23 AM
We could put this lineup in almost any order and it still ain't so hot. But....

:hawk
"Where are they gonna play him?"

StillMissOzzie
09-12-2005, 10:51 AM

1. Podsednik
2. Uribe
3. Iguchi
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Everett
7. AJ
8. Crede
9. Rowand

I do like it. I think 1-5 should stay as you've got them. With Everett, AJ, & Rowand all struggling, I'd like to see that threesome spread out a bit. Plus, if Rowand does find his way on base, he won't be clogging the basepaths for the top of the order like Crede or AJ would.

SMO
:gulp:

A_ROW33
09-12-2005, 11:20 AM
I certainly think Uribe should get moved up in the order in some fashion, I particularly like him hitting 2nd if Podsednik is not in the lineup (which I hope is not often) Other than that he should hit after Dye, or even 5th after Konerko if the matchup is right.

enurb
09-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Any lineup without Harris, Perez, and Ozuna is acceptable. It's time to play the starters. They can rest in the off-season.

SoxinAZ
09-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Any lineup without Harris, Perez, and Ozuna is acceptable. It's time to play the starters. They can rest in the off-season.

Agreed. Use the lineup that got you the most "W"'s.

Brian26
09-12-2005, 11:58 AM
The fact that this is up for discussion right now with 20 games left in the season is nuts.

I say go with the Opening Day lineup and leave it at that for the rest of the season:

Pods
Iguchi
Everett
Konerko
Dye
Rowand
AJ
Crede
Uribe

I know Everett is struggling, but there's nothing you can do about it at this point. You can't replace his bat in the lineup, and quite frankly we'll need him to produce in the playoffs anyway. Let him work his way out of this slump. The only way for that to happen is for him to play. Let all the guys know this is where they will hit in the order. Don't change it. Give Carl a vote of confidence. And let's win this thing.

BeviBall!
09-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Why not PK in the 3 hole?

Pods
Gooch
PK
Dye
Everett
Rowand
AJ
Uribe
Crede

BeviBall!
09-12-2005, 01:17 PM

After the day off today, this has to be done. No more Blum, Timo or Harris.

CHIsoxNation
09-12-2005, 01:31 PM
I would agree that Uribe should be moved up in the order. If not in the three spot then I would put him in the fifth spot after Konerko. Paulie seems to be the only one these days that pitchers are afraid to pitch to because of how hot he is and the power he possesses. By putting Uribe before him, there is a good chance that Pualie will have someone to drive home, with the way Uribe has been swinging. If Uribe is throw into the five spot, then when teams pitch around Paulie they will have to face one of the hottest bats in our lineup.

Bottomline, Uribe needs to be moved up. He might be a streaky hitter but he has the hottest bat on the team right now and he needs to be either in front or behind Pualie. Who knows, maybe with Uribe finding this little leg kick of his he'll be able to stay this hot for the next month and a half.

SoxFan76
09-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Bottomline, Uribe needs to be moved up. He might be a streaky hitter but he has the hottest bat on the team right now and he needs to be either in front or behind Pualie. Who knows, maybe with Uribe finding this little leg kick of his he'll be able to stay this hot for the next month and a half.

See, I agree completely. But when Uribe isn't hitting the crap out of the ball, then you have to find a new guy to bat at the top of the order. Something needs to be done though. Sometimes when a manager tweaks the batting order they bust out of slumps and go on a tear. And no, tweaking the batting order doesn't mean Timo, Blum, Harris, Anderson, etc. It means change the order of the "A" lineup. I like how Ozzie keeps his guys well rested for when they need to step up, but the time to step up is now. No more B game lineups. Play the starters every day until this thing is clinched! This whole lineup needs to go on a week long tear and get this magic number below 10.

antitwins13
09-12-2005, 07:03 PM
The fact that this is up for discussion right now with 20 games left in the season is nuts.

I say go with the Opening Day lineup and leave it at that for the rest of the season:

Pods
Iguchi
Everett
Konerko
Dye
Rowand
AJ
Crede
Uribe

I know Everett is struggling, but there's nothing you can do about it at this point. You can't replace his bat in the lineup, and quite frankly we'll need him to produce in the playoffs anyway. Let him work his way out of this slump. The only way for that to happen is for him to play. Let all the guys know this is where they will hit in the order. Don't change it. Give Carl a vote of confidence. And let's win this thing.

Everyone who's posting on this thread can go live with Jerry Manuel in "Tinker Town", USA

SoxFan76
09-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Everyone who's posting on this thread can go live with Jerry Manuel in "Tinker Town", USA

I know, that's my whole point. Uribe goes back into a slump, then you have to move somebody else into the 3 hole. That person goes into a slump, next contestant pleast. That's not how it should work.

TomBradley72
09-12-2005, 08:37 PM
I know, that's my whole point. Uribe goes back into a slump, then you have to move somebody else into the 3 hole. That person goes into a slump, next contestant pleast. That's not how it should work.

We're just trying to win as many of the last 20 games as we can...who cares if it's how it "should work". I don't think this a fluke with Uribe...he's made a major adjustment in his approach....if it just gives us a spark for a few games...that will be enough. Definition of insanity: trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Maybe it's not necessary...but when only two guys are hitting at all in your lineup (Konerko and Uribe)...it seems crazy to have one of them hitting 8th.

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Why not PK in the 3 hole?

Because you need your big RBI producer hitting clean-up. He's done fine at the four-hole this year, so why try fixing something that's not broken. Until AJ gets his swing back, I'd bat him as low as #8, actually.

Podsednik
Iguchi
Everett
Konerko
Uribe
Dye
Rowand
Pierzynski
Crede

Optipessimism
09-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Podsednik DH
Iguchi 2B
Uribe SS
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Anderson LF
Pierzynski C
Rowand CF
Ozuna 3B

speed, speed, and more speed

SoxFan76
09-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Everett as a switch hitting pinch hitter option....I would like that. He's one of the few guys I want up in the 9th with a RISP.

Whitesox05
09-13-2005, 12:14 PM
At this point, I'd move the hottest hitter to the 3rd spot. Right now, it's Uribe.

Rowand's an absolute joke in the 3rd spot.

I agree! Rowand is not a #3 hitter at all....not even close. He has been struggling at the plate recently. He has been a disappointment at the plate this whole year so far. He is lucky that he plays great defense. I would love to find a way to replace him with another better htting outfielder...one that plays good defense too.

Whitesox05
09-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Everett as a switch hitting pinch hitter option....I would like that. He's one of the few guys I want up in the 9th with a RISP.

Hell no! Carl has to start. He is struggling right now, but he is one of our only hitters that can really hit. He comes through most of the time. Without him in our lineup, it would be even more vanilla than it is now. That is a bad idea.

FielderJones
09-13-2005, 03:26 PM
I agree! Rowand is not a #3 hitter at all....not even close. He has been struggling at the plate recently. He has been a disappointment at the plate this whole year so far. He is lucky that he plays great defense. I would love to find a way to replace him with another better htting outfielder...one that plays good defense too.

I'm sure we can order one of those right up. :smokin:

Whitesox05
09-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm sure we can order one of those right up. :smokin:

Yup! I wish I could...I would!

DaleJRFan
09-13-2005, 04:21 PM
How about the following:

Podsednik (LF)
Iguchi (2B)
Konerko (DH)
AJ (C)
Dye (RF)
Gload (1B)
Anderson (CF)
Crede (3B)
Uribe (SS)

buehrle4cy05
09-13-2005, 05:22 PM
I would worry about moving Uribe up too far in the order.

Pods
Gooch
PK
Dye
A.J.
Uribe
Everett
Rowand
Crede

Tadahito has to stay in the #2 hole. He's been moving Pods over all year, and I'm not sure there's another player on the team who can do that 95% of the time. Pauly's got one of the higher averages on the team, and JD going to be about as effective as PK in the #4 hole. Drop Everett and Rowand down. A.J. in at #5 is a gamble, but then you sandwich Uribe in a L-R-L situation if it's a righty pitcher.

Mr. White Sox
09-13-2005, 05:37 PM

sorry for the :hijacked: , but on the subject of Aaron, I really think his recent play shows me that he'll be traded in the offseason. Brian Anderson will play CF, and Aaron will be traded for a first baseman (Overbay? The Brewers need a CF). I don't love Overbay, and I wouldn't totally agree with that trade, but I could really see it happening.

Mr. White Sox
09-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks for taking our advice, Ozzie.

Podsednik
Iguchi
Konerko
Everett
Rowand
Dye
AJ
Uribe
Crede

maurice
09-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Rowand yesterday:
4-4, 3 2B, BB, SB.

Please be a sign of things to come.

JeffIsTHEMAN
09-14-2005, 02:35 PM
sorry for the :hijacked: , but on the subject of Aaron, I really think his recent play shows me that he'll be traded in the offseason. Brian Anderson will play CF, and Aaron will be traded for a first baseman (Overbay? The Brewers need a CF). I don't love Overbay, and I wouldn't totally agree with that trade, but I could really see it happening.

Doubt it.

Clarkdog
09-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Uribe is a very streaky hitter. He's hot right now, but before long it's going to be back to this old ways. I don't think that's a dark cloud way of thinking, it's just the facts. Uribe is streaky. What happens when he goes into a cold streak? You just move somebody else into the 3rd spot? I think this just says something about the White Sox offense. Even an average offense should have consistent reliable bats in the 3rd and 4th spots.

I would agree that Uribe has been a very streaky hitter - in the past. I think Uribe has turned a corner on his approach at the plate. He is demonstrating more patience and is staying back on the ball longer with his new timing mechanism (Thanks to Walt Hriniak). Uribe will still attack the baseball, but you should see more controlled swings at the plate and less of him corkscrewing himself into the batter's box than before. Put him in the 7 hole and keep him there. Let AJ hit 8th, he's cold now but he makes contact and can be be used to move or drive in Uribe when he is on - which should be with more frequency and more consistency.

Podsednik
Iguchi
Konerko
Dye
Everett
Rowand
Uribe
Pierzynski
Crede

Ol' No. 2
09-14-2005, 03:59 PM
I would agree that Uribe has been a very streaky hitter - in the past. I think Uribe has turned a corner on his approach at the plate. He is demonstrating more patience and is staying back on the ball longer with his new timing mechanism (Thanks to Walt Hriniak). Uribe will still attack the baseball, but you should see more controlled swings at the plate and less of him corkscrewing himself into the batter's box than before. Put him in the 7 hole and keep him there. Let AJ hit 8th, he's cold now but he makes contact and can be be used to move or drive in Uribe when he is on - which should be with more frequency and more consistency.

Podsednik
Iguchi
Konerko
Dye
Everett
Rowand
Uribe
Pierzynski
CredeIMO, the better Uribe starts to hit, the more I like him hitting 9th. Once the lineup turns over it's like having two leadoff hitters. You've got Uribe-Podsednik-Iguchi all in a row.

putherawaywet
09-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Players should not be moved around in the order simply because they are hot. The number 3 hitter, especially, should remain your best hitter. This may be difficult in our lineup since we don't really have a great hitter besides perhaps Konerko. We should bat Dye/Konerko at 3/4 or even vice versa and drop Everett to 5,6, or even 7 (behind Rowand and A.J.).

PicktoCLick72
09-14-2005, 06:22 PM
ARow is not getting traded.

Huisj
09-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Uribe right now looks exactly how he looked for during the first month and a half or so last season. He was absolutely on fire last year once he got the chance to play consistently, and it seemed like every time up he would get a hit or drive a run in. And right now, it pretty much seems that he's locked in in the exact same way.

All year people have loved his D and sort of wished his bat from last year was back. . . and suddenly, his stats are surprisingly close to those he had last year. I guess this just confirms what we've all noticed since he's been here: when he's hot, he's real hot, and the rest of the time he's not so hot. Hopefully he can find that hot switch a little more consistently from here on out, because he's unbelievable right now.