PDA

View Full Version : Two suggestions

jfinsocal
09-11-2005, 08:52 PM
My two cents:

1. Replace El Duque with B Mac in the rotation.

2. Stop playing musical chairs with the lineup. I fully agreed with this idea in July and August with a big lead and hot weather. It is good to rest players. Now is the time to reap the fruits of this philosophy, starting Tuesday I would play the best 10 players every day except maybe for a day after night situation and after the best record in the AL is clinched.

Let's have a fun remainder of the season and go deep into the playoffs.

Go Sox

JB98
09-11-2005, 08:55 PM
I agree with both suggestions.

Go Sox!

NSSoxFan
09-11-2005, 08:58 PM
I agree with both suggestions.

Go Sox!

LOL! Funny how Dark Clouds have changed their tune already.

JUribe1989
09-11-2005, 08:58 PM
I would love to stick with the same lineup everyday, but Everett has gone in to a huge cold streak and hasn't been hitting or playing smart lately. If we are going to go with a consistent lineup everyday tho that could help. Then again, Crede is back and we haven't really seen too well if he is going to help us or not.

SoxFan76
09-11-2005, 08:59 PM
I think Ozzie needs to go balls to the walls and clinch this thing. That means Podsednik, Crede, Dye, Everett, they all need to be in the lineup on the same day consistently. After the Sox clinch the division then you can rest Podsednik 3 times a week...

Oh, and another thing. He has to stop being so stubborn and yank El Duque from the rotation. How many good outings does McCarthy need to show he is capable of being a major league starter?

soxjim
09-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Go all out, same lineup everyday. McCarthy has the hot hand pitch him.

sircaffey1
09-11-2005, 09:10 PM
My two cents:

1. Replace El Duque with B Mac in the rotation.

2. Stop playing musical chairs with the lineup. I fully agreed with this idea in July and August with a big lead and hot weather. It is good to rest players. Now is the time to reap the fruits of this philosophy, starting Tuesday I would play the best 10 players every day except maybe for a day after night situation and after the best record in the AL is clinched.

Let's have a fun remainder of the season and go deep into the playoffs.

Go Sox

How about we actually get to the playoffs...This team is in disarray.

Ol' No. 2
09-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Timo Perez and Willie Harris are not the problem. If you think they are, you haven't been paying attention. The Sox scored 5 runs on Friday and 5 on Saturday with their two aces on the mound - and lost both games.

The starters look gassed. Hernandez hasn't given up less than 3 ER in a start since July and he may be done as a starter this year. Buehrle has had 3 quality starts in his last 7, Garland and Garcia have also been spotty. Contreras has been the only one pitching well. Of those four, guess who has the fewest IP? Coincidence?

PAPChiSox729
09-11-2005, 09:12 PM

Oh much things can change in four days, eh? I love this game.
:D:

Lip Man 1
09-11-2005, 10:08 PM
No.2:

Valid point but how do you change things with only two weeks remaining? If this was becomming an issue it should have been addressed a month ago don't you think?

At this point I don't think it matters much if a pitcher starts 25 or 26 games on the year do you?

I don't think there is an alternative that will make a difference in how the pitchers physically feel at this time.

I think the discussion also needs to include how the team struggled offensively for basically the entire month of August, putting more pressure on the starters since at times, allowing three runs meant certain defeat.

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Papi:

Well I will admit that having a 9 1/2 game lead on Wednesday night pretty much put me at ease...apparently the Sox did as well.

Lip

ScottsdaleSoxFan
09-11-2005, 10:19 PM
I would love to stick with the same lineup everyday, but Everett has gone in to a huge cold streak and hasn't been hitting or playing smart lately. If we are going to go with a consistent lineup everyday tho that could help. Then again, Crede is back and we haven't really seen too well if he is going to help us or not.

Everett will be back to his normal self. He is a bit of a streaky hitter. But, he is only a minor streaky hitter. He will be back to his clutch hits. I actually feel he is one of our clutch hitters. At least he gets walks in extras. Even if he runs himself in to outs lol.

P.S. JUribe1989, sorry you got banned buddy.

PAPChiSox729
09-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Papi:

Well I will admit that having a 9 1/2 game lead on Wednesday night pretty much put me at ease...apparently the Sox did as well.

Lip

Haha. That is why I love this game. In four days, our lead could be back up to 9.0 games and the Magic Number could be down to 8. Things change quickly. And I doubt that the Sox will play like this much longer.

ScottsdaleSoxFan
09-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Haha. That is why I love this game. In four days, our lead could be back up to 9.0 games and the Magic Number could be down to 8. Things change quickly. And I doubt that the Sox will play like this much longer.

Hopefully the Royals can help our recent string of bad play.

Ol' No. 2
09-11-2005, 10:22 PM
No.2:

Valid point but how do you change things with only two weeks remaining? If this was becomming an issue it should have been addressed a month ago don't you think?

At this point I don't think it matters much if a pitcher starts 25 or 26 games on the year do you?

I don't think there is an alternative that will make a difference in how the pitchers physically feel at this time.

I think the discussion also needs to include how the team struggled offensively for basically the entire month of August, putting more pressure on the starters since at times, allowing three runs meant certain defeat.

LipIMO, in the short time remaining, it has less to do with the number of starts than with the amount of time in between. Remember that during the season they often have an extra day's rest between starts due to off-days. I would like to see them start a 6-man rotation right now. It's odd to me that Ozzie has been so dilligent about resting his position players but not his starters. The Sox lead MLB in IP by their starters: Buehrle and Garcia are both over 200 IP and Garland is just under. They're all three in the top 8 in the AL in IP. There are still 20 games to go and potentially 20 more in the playoffs.

I think that Ozzie has rested his position players plenty, but that's not a reason to change now. Part of the advantage of building up a big lead is that you can afford to rest your players, even if it means you lose a few games you could have won. Other teams still struggling are wearing down their players and that could mean an advantage come playoff time. I'd like to see them continue that the rest of the month. They need to use their front-line players when the Indians come to town next week, though. No rest there. Time to TCB.

Ol' No. 2
09-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Everett will be back to his normal self. He is a bit of a streaky hitter. But, he is only a minor streaky hitter. He will be back to his clutch hits. I actually feel he is one of our clutch hitters. At least he gets walks in extras. Even if he runs himself in to outs lol.

P.S. JUribe1989, sorry you got banned buddy.Unfortunately, Everett has not been doing much all year. It's not a few cold streaks interspersed with good hitting - it's a few hot streak interspersed with mediocrity. This will give you some perspective:

Everett: .253/.308/.449
Widger: .250/.311/.411

antitwins13
09-11-2005, 10:29 PM
I agree. I never thought I'd say this, but we need Crede back in the line-up

ScottsdaleSoxFan
09-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Unfortunately, Everett has not been doing much all year. It's not a few cold streaks interspersed with good hitting - it's a few hot streak interspersed with mediocrity. This will give you some perspective:

Everett: .253/.308/.449
Widger: .250/.311/.411

Hmm, I suppose your right lol.

"shutting up"

ShoelessJoeS
09-11-2005, 10:32 PM
I agree. I never thought I'd say this, but we need Crede back in the line-up
Why not? He's undoubtedly the best third baseman we have.

chuckn98229
09-12-2005, 01:04 AM
I think Ozzie needs to go balls to the walls and clinch this thing. That means Podsednik, Crede, Dye, Everett, they all need to be in the lineup on the same day consistently. After the Sox clinch the division then you can rest Podsednik 3 times a week...

Oh, and another thing. He has to stop being so stubborn and yank El Duque from the rotation. How many good outings does McCarthy need to show he is capable of being a major league starter?

Agreed - could not have said it better myself!!! Thank-you for your eloquence!

voodoochile
09-12-2005, 01:09 AM

Do you have any idea how blatantly stupid that sounds?

Didn't they just finish a 7 game winning streak before losing 4 in a row? Doesn't that make them 7-4 in their last 11?

Don't they still have to have 4 teams pass them including the toons to actually miss the playoffs?

Get a freaking clue...:rolleyes: