PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's back in the Wildcard chase again...

mdep524
09-11-2005, 09:56 AM
...that's right!! The Cubbies are listed again in the Tribune's Wildcard standings! After their latest surge that earned them an article about how they're finally "clicking," they're now listed in the WC standings again, tied for 5th place at 6.5 games back. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, the three Sox articles today included a recap of how the Big 3 are "sputtering"- not just struggling, but full out "sputtering" (never mind that Garland's last start was a complete game shutout and Garcia's was 7 IP, 2 H, 1 ER) and how Carl Everett is "just one of [many] holes in lineup."

Luckily, Notre Dame and the Bears are 5 to 6 times the story the Sox will ever be, so the shotty Sox coverage was totally overshadowed.

kittle42
09-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Well, Dusty did say they're still in it. He really did.

Jjav829
09-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Dick Jauron and his staff are currently meeting to determine if the Cubs are still in the Wild Card race. Stay tuned...

PaleHoseGeorge
09-11-2005, 12:00 PM
It ought to be a felony for any sports editor to include a ballclub beneath .500 in their wild-card standings.

5-1/2 months into the season and the Flubs still haven't beat even HALF the teams in the league -- but the Cubune still thinks they're wild-card contenders? Give me a ****ing break...

:cubune

SouthSide_HitMen
09-11-2005, 12:09 PM
:sahaf

"Allah will deliver the Cubs to the promised land. The Cubs are the best team in basball. We will defeat several Great Satan's ahead of us and we will win the World Series. No other team has two pitchers as great as Wood and Prior. Dusty is the best manager in baseball. We have the best lineup. We have the best bullpen. We have the best ballpark. We have the best fans. We have the Worlds Greatest Newspaper the Cubune. We have it all. The infidels will be defeated and the Chicago Cubs will win the World Series. Next year is here. I declare it and therefore it is true."

Comments from the new Cubs PR VP defending the move to put the Cubs back into the NL Wild Card standings in the Sunday Cubune.

Chips
09-11-2005, 01:45 PM
:sahaf

"Allah will deliver the Cubs to the promised land. The Cubs are the best team in basball. We will defeat several Great Satan's ahead of us and we will win the World Series. No other team has two pitchers as great as Wood and Prior. Dusty is the best manager in baseball. We have the best lineup. We have the best bullpen. We have the best ballpark. We have the best fans. We have the Worlds Greatest Newspaper the Cubune. We have it all. The infidels will be defeated and the Chicago Cubs will win the World Series. Next year is here. I declare it and therefore it is true."

Comments from the new Cubs PR VP defending the move to put the Cubs back into the NL Wild Card standings in the Sunday Cubune.

:rolling:

CubKilla
09-11-2005, 11:40 PM
5.5 out

Lip Man 1
09-12-2005, 12:35 AM
I didn't realize that they picked up a few games in the last week. Technically if Cleveland can still 'catch' the Sox with three weeks to go trailing by 5 1/2 games, then I guess the Cubs can 'catch' the Astros.

The problem for them is that they'd have to stay hot and somehow hope all the teams ahead of them collapse and I don't think that's possible with so many head to head games...someone has got to win them.

Lip

santo=dorf
09-12-2005, 12:51 AM
I didn't realize that they picked up a few games in the last week. Technically if Cleveland can still 'catch' the Sox with three weeks to go trailing by 5 1/2 games, then I guess the Cubs can 'catch' the Astros.

The problem for them is that they'd have to stay hot and somehow hope all the teams ahead of them collapse and I don't think that's possible with so many head to head games...someone has got to win them.

Lip
It's practically impossible because the Cubs have 4 teams in front of them, 3 of which are in the same division (Phils, Marlins, Nats.) The combination of those three teams makes it nearly impossible for the Cubs to leap frog over mulitple teams in such a short period of time.

chuckn98229
09-12-2005, 01:09 AM
It's practically impossible because the Cubs have 4 teams in front of them, 3 of which are in the same division (Phils, Marlins, Nats.) The combination of those three teams makes it nearly impossible for the Cubs to leap frog over mulitple teams in such a short period of time.

When you live in Perfect, nothing is impossible. This is especially true when you own a sorry-ass team and also the biggest media outlet in the major urban center where the sorry-assed team plays.

DrCrawdad
09-12-2005, 07:06 AM
If the Cubs are right back in the Wild Card hunt, then will they be recalling Carrie Wood from the DL since they only put Carrie on the DL in the first place once they were out of it?

cheeses_h_rice
09-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Just checking...they're still below .500, aren't they?

Doesn't that mean that they've lost more games than they've won?

Somebody, help me out here.

:rolleyes:

skobabe8
09-12-2005, 09:53 AM
SportsRise on CSN just said they are back in the wc race, too.

StillMissOzzie
09-12-2005, 10:14 AM
If the Cubs are right back in the Wild Card hunt, then will they be recalling Carrie Wood from the DL since they only put Carrie on the DL in the first place once they were out of it?

I believe that Carrie had the surgery to "clean out" his shoulder, so I think the answer is no.

SMO
:gulp:

mdep524
09-12-2005, 11:38 AM
I know this topic is beating a dead horse, but its just so hard to ignore when its smacked in your face.

Highlights of today's Sox coverage:
In an article with the sensationalist headline, "Once in hole, no digging out," Dave van Dyck asserts the "Sox lack pitching, solid clutch hitting" in the sub head and then goes on to say "lately...the starting staff has been beaten up early and often." "Early and often"?? After a run of 7 consecutive wins and 8 quality starts, the Sox have had three bad outings. Is 3 measly games enough to determine a significant streak of "early and often" batterings?? Not for any reasonable fan or analyst. The clutch hitting analysis, BTW, is on the money.

In the game recap on the first page, Mark Gonzales says "...don't get the impression the White Sox are giving up hope after their fourth consecutive loss..." "Giving up hope"?? LOL Who would get that impression?? The Sox have the best record in the AL, and the closest thing to an assured spot in the playoffs in the AL. Why would the idea of giving up hope ever enter anybody's mind? Sounds more like the Cubune trying to get that idea out in the open. Subtle jabs like this that really show the Cubune bias.

Meanwhile... the Cubs are under .500 and 5.5 games out of the Wildcard, behind 4 teams and tied with 2 others. With the pressure off, the Cubs have pulled a typical Chicago deceptive streak-the Cubs, Sox and Bears all love to start winning when they've already pissed away the season. Their headline today was:

Dempster, Cubs closing in again
Perez's double helps cut wild-card deficit

Then in the first paragraph Paul Sullivan talks about scoreboard watching as if the Cubs are really in the race. Give me a break.

All clear skies for the Cubs! But talk of giving up hope, a beaten up pitching staff and some large fall from grace surround the Sox. Just another instance of yellow journalism by this city's beckon of journalistic integrity.

cheeses_h_rice
09-12-2005, 12:40 PM
The Cubs have always folded this year when the pressure's on them, so don't look for them to make any significant strides the last few weeks of the season.

Mentally, I think it's just a lot easier for a team to play loose and carefree when they're not really in a race. Now that the Cubune and local sportsblabbers (*cough*Murph*cough*) are once again labelling them a legitimate playoff contending team (funny, they don't say that about the Brew Crew, who have the exact same record), look for them to start sucking.

Ol' No. 2
09-12-2005, 12:43 PM
I know this topic is beating a dead horse, but its just so hard to ignore when its smacked in your face.

Highlights of today's Sox coverage:
In an article with the sensationalist headline, "Once in hole, no digging out," Dave van Dyck asserts the "Early and often"?? After a run of 7 consecutive wins and 8 quality starts, the Sox have had three bad outings. Is 3 measly games enough to determine a significant streak of "early and often" batterings?? Not for any reasonable fan or analyst. The clutch hitting analysis, BTW, is on the money.

In the game recap on the first page, Mark Gonzales says "Giving up hope"?? LOL Who would get that impression?? The Sox have the best record in the AL, and the closest thing to an assured spot in the playoffs in the AL. Why would the idea of giving up hope ever enter anybody's mind? Sounds more like the Cubune trying to get that idea out in the open. Subtle jabs like this that really show the Cubune bias.

Meanwhile... the Cubs are under .500 and 5.5 games out of the Wildcard, behind 4 teams and tied with 2 others. With the pressure off, the Cubs have pulled a typical Chicago deceptive streak-the Cubs, Sox and Bears all love to start winning when they've already pissed away the season. Their headline today was:

Dempster, Cubs closing in again
Perez's double helps cut wild-card deficit

Then in the first paragraph Paul Sullivan talks about scoreboard watching as if the Cubs are really in the race. Give me a break.

All clear skies for the Cubs! But talk of giving up hope, a beaten up pitching staff and some large fall from grace surround the Sox. Just another instance of yellow journalism by this city's beckon of journalistic integrity.Actually, Van Dyck and Gonzalez don't sound too different from a lot of what's being written here.

D. TODD
09-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I didn't think any of the articles were very optimistice about a wildcard birth for the Scrubs. So, they posted the standings, and stated that the Cubs are within 5.5 with 4 teams to catch. Not a problem to me. We, as sox fans just need to concentrate on holding on to our lead.

cheeses_h_rice
09-12-2005, 09:38 PM
The Cubs have always folded this year when the pressure's on them, so don't look for them to make any significant strides the last few weeks of the season.

Mentally, I think it's just a lot easier for a team to play loose and carefree when they're not really in a race. Now that the Cubune and local sportsblabbers (*cough*Murph*cough*) are once again labelling them a legitimate playoff contending team (funny, they don't say that about the Brew Crew, who have the exact same record), look for them to start sucking.

Ahem.

:gulp:

maurice
09-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Today, this topic recieved the back-page spread in the Trib, including all sorts of irrelevant mathematical calculations.

cheeses_h_rice
09-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Today, this topic recieved the back-page spread in the Trib, including all sorts of irrelevant mathematical calculations.

Cubune math:

-figure out ways the Sox can choke away an enormous lead
-figure out ways a below .500 Flubs team can leap over 5 other teams for the Wild Card spot

Situations reversed, and I'm sure you'd see the same treatment.

Iwritecode
09-13-2005, 11:59 AM

That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't playoff contenders. Just look at the NL West...

:cool:

rwcescato
09-13-2005, 12:12 PM

Just by the trib putting them in the WC race will cause them to play poorly and lose 5 out of the next 7 games thus allowing them to win games in the last week of the season. Therefore the trib can still have them in the WC standings even though they have been mathematically eliminated and beside they play houston.
Rich

maurice
09-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Cubune math:
-figure out ways the Sox can choke away an enormous lead
-figure out ways a below .500 Flubs team can leap over 5 other teams for the Wild Card spot
Situations reversed, and I'm sure you'd see the same treatment.

:knue
"Absolutely! We cover both teams
the same way -- without a shred
of bias!"

:cubune

brewcrew/chisox
09-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Does this mean I can start buying my Brewer Playoff tickets now?

chitownhawkfan
09-14-2005, 01:40 PM
If this paper wasnt a laughing-stock to begin with the past three days has been a giant snail filled mess. First the article about the Sox and their attendance, then the front page article about Cubs fans still believing (in which they threw in an attendance cheap shot about the Sox), the giant backpage spread about the Cubs hopes of winning the wildcard, todays article about Gamboa, and now the Cubs back in the WC while still being under .500.

:knue:
Whats more important than discussing Cubs fans unrealistic hopes, and Sox fans not showing up at games and beating up coaches. That is fair and balanced.