PDA

View Full Version : What was the song that was played throughout the 1/2 way to St. Patty's Day Game???

ssirish317
09-11-2005, 12:58 AM
There was some Irish song that they played at the game Friday night. The lyrics went something like "An Irishman like my father before me, from Bridgeport to Beverly..." Can somebody help me out and tell me the artist/track title of that song? Thanks!!!!

FoulkeFan
09-11-2005, 07:35 AM
It's called "South Side Irish" if it's the one I'm thinking of.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-11-2005, 07:48 AM
There was some Irish song that they played at the game Friday night. The lyrics went something like "An Irishman like my father before me, from Bridgeport to Beverly..." Can somebody help me out and tell me the artist/track title of that song? Thanks!!!!

It was South Side Irish...if you've ever been to the south side parade, you HAVE to know that.

Johnny Mostil
09-11-2005, 02:01 PM

Everybody, now!

"We're the South Side Irish as our fathers were before,
We come from the Windy City and we're Irish to the core,
From Bridgeport to Beverly, from Midway to South Shore,
We're the South Side Irish--Let's sing it out once more!"

Google if you want more lyrics; I won't put myself or the board at any further risk of copyright infringement.

Edit: I notice "Black, McEldowney, and Walsh" wrote the song, but I know nothing about them except those names (and a vague recollection they wrote it around 1984).

Law11
09-11-2005, 04:13 PM
I have the song on my ipod.
Any southsider born and raised has heard it.

peeonwrigley
09-11-2005, 04:16 PM
There was a thread Friday after the game in the Parking Lot. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57364)

MarySwiss
09-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Everybody, now!

Google if you want more lyrics; I won't put myself or the board at any further risk of copyright infringement.

Edit: I notice "Black, McEldowney, and Walsh" wrote the song, but I know nothing about them except those names (and a vague recollection they wrote it around 1984).

Recorded by Arranmore; search Amazon if you want the CD. McEldowney is a regular at some Sox bar on the South Side, but I don't remember its name. If you google McEldowney, you'll probably find out.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-13-2005, 08:17 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52189&page=2&pp=15&highlight=south+side+irish+lyrics

Already did this.

JohnBasedowYoda
09-13-2005, 08:20 PM
a great drinking tune

Chips
09-13-2005, 08:23 PM
I cannot believe that someone with SSIrish317 doesn't know that song.

smalls17
09-13-2005, 08:24 PM
I find it funny you didn't know that song when your user name is SSIRISH

mjmcend
09-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Recorded by Arranmore; search Amazon if you want the CD. McEldowney is a regular at some Sox bar on the South Side, but I don't remember its name. If you google McEldowney, you'll probably find out.

McNally's is the bar you are thinking of, but most often McEldowney sings at the church, Sacred Heart. And not that song obviously. He lives in Beverly now, and they wrote the song and perform it during the South Side Irish parade every year I can remember.

Chips
09-13-2005, 08:35 PM
McNally's is the bar you are thinking of, but most often McEldowney sings at the church, Sacred Heart. And not that song obviously. He lives in Beverly now, and they wrote the song and perform it during the South Side Irish parade every year I can remember.

Sacred Heart on 117th?

mjmcend
09-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Sacred Heart on 117th?

I believe, and one block west of Vincenes. It has been awhile since I have been there.

ssirish317
09-13-2005, 08:52 PM
I find it funny you didn't know that song when your user name is SSIRISH

I'm only 21 so I haven't been around forever to have heard it before....also have never had the chance to go to the southside Irish parade because my b-day is St. Patty's day and my family almost always ends up celebrating it on the same Sunday as the parade.

Chips
09-13-2005, 08:53 PM
I believe, and one block west of Vincenes. It has been awhile since I have been there.

Church is the street. Its been a while, but me and my brother used to drive around the south side and go to different churches every week.

Paxson93
09-13-2005, 09:04 PM
also have never had the chance to go to the southside Irish parade because my b-day is St. Patty's day and my family almost always ends up celebrating it on the same Saturday as the parade.

The parade is the Sunday before St. Pat's actually. :gulp:

smalls17
09-13-2005, 09:10 PM
sorry to hear that your birthday falls on the same day as the parade. but the south side parade is always the SUNDAY before st pat's

ssirish317
09-13-2005, 09:16 PM
I didn't say it always falls on the same day....just that the parade always seemed to be the same weekend as my family b-day parties growing up. Not that you guys aren't right....I'm part Irish, born on St. Patty's Day and I've never been to the parade. Kinda sad. I have to go next year.

chitownhawkfan
09-14-2005, 12:30 AM
All you have to do is go to one parade, either the downtown or the southside and it will be permanently tattooed into your brain. I have heard that song at way too many Kerry picnics and the like, and it is a catchy little tune, especially "And when it comes to baseball we've got two favorite clubs, the go go white sox... and whoever plays the cubs"

Welcome to WSI but slightly dissapointed your name is SSIRISH and you dont know the lyrics, thats alright there is always time to learn:welcome:

ssirish317
09-14-2005, 12:42 AM
Since I have been deprived of going to the parade's the first time I ever heard that song was at last Friday night's game. Although they never played that last line of the song during the numerous times that they played it that night, it did catch my ear and has become engaved into my head. Honestly, all of the music they played that night was pretty catchy. They threw in some of the music from Boondock Saints too. I'll tell you one thing....the music that night blew away all the 80's hair-band music they played on mullet night.

BTW...I joined up in December. How long does it take until you're not considered a newbie? ie become a WSI regular

SoxSideIrish
09-14-2005, 12:51 AM
great song!

peeonwrigley
09-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Since I have been deprived of going to the parade's the first time I ever heard that song was at last Friday night's game. Although they never played that last line of the song during the numerous times that they played it that night, it did catch my ear and has become engaved into my head. Honestly, all of the music they played that night was pretty catchy. They threw in some of the music from Boondock Saints too. I'll tell you one thing....the music that night blew away all the 80's hair-band music they played on mullet night.

BTW...I joined up in December. How long does it take until you're not considered a newbie? ie become a WSI regular

Agreed, I loved the music that night. I attended the game with a native of Ireland who has recently immigrated (his first ever baseball game - try explaining the rules of baseball 5 beers deep) and he knew the words to a few of the actual Irish songs. I told him he couldn't have come on a better night for his first game.

As for WSI Regular, I think it is 50 posts... maybe 100?

chitownhawkfan
09-14-2005, 02:50 AM

New at WSI 0-15 posts WSI Regular 16-500 posts WSI Personality 501-1500 posts WSI Church Elder 1501-5000 posts WSI High Priest 5001-12,000 posts WSI Prelate 12,001-25,000 posts WSI Guru 25,001-50,000 posts WSI Oracle 50,000+ posts

skobabe8
09-14-2005, 10:35 AM

So at .03 posts per day you'll reach Church Elder status around the year 2207. :cool:

Dolly
10-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Everybody, now!

They also occasionally play at bars on the south side. Their 2-man band goes by the name "Terry and Whitey." I know they're playing at TC's (97th and Cicero in Oak Lawn) the night before Thanksgiving.

yyz
10-28-2005, 02:26 PM
You can download it (free!) from Arranmore's website:

http://www.arranmore.com/index2.html