PDA

View Full Version : If you would have told me in April...

mdep524
09-10-2005, 09:21 PM
AKA the "Things I wish I said in April" thread

I thought this might make a cool thread. Some ideas that would have seemed absolutely ludicrous mere months ago would earn you a :cleo for clairvoyance today. Here are some that I doubt anybody saw coming.

"Don't worry about the Twins, they'll be way out of the race by September." :o:

"Jose Contreras will be this team's best starter down the stretch against, and will pitch brilliantly against good teams." :o:

"Scott Podsednik's OBP will go UP from 2004, but his SBs will go DOWN." :o:

"Kenny Rogers will have more triples than Podsednik on September 10."

"Ken Griffey Jr.'s not washed up even though he's currently hitting .244 and just hit his first HR of the season on April 30. I bet he will be resurgent this year, dominate the NL, stay injury free and the Reds won't trade him for anything." :o:

"The White Sox will pursue Ken Griffey, Jr." :o:

"Aaron Rowand's overall numbers will be as good as Carlos Beltran's. And Aaron will have a down season." :o:

"Shingo? The closer? I doubt it. He'll end up being released by July." :o:

"The Big Hurt will hit .219 in his comeback with the Sox... and his production will be enormous!" :o:

"Sure the A's are God awful, in last place and 11 games behind right now, but you watch- they're going to get hot and take possession of 1st place before this season is over."

"Even though the Sox are in contention for the pennant, I don't see Ken Williams actually coming away with a big splash at the trade deadline. In fact, I doubt any big names will move at all." :o:

And of course:
"September baseball will barely matter to the White Sox.... because their lead will be close to 10 games in the AL Central and clinching the division will be all but a formality."

Aynbody else have more to add?

RKMeibalane
09-10-2005, 10:19 PM
AKA the "Things I wish I said in April" thread

I thought this might make a cool thread. Some ideas that would have seemed absolutely ludicrous mere months ago would earn you a :cleo for clairvoyance today. Here are some that I doubt anybody saw coming.

"Don't worry about the Twins, they'll be way out of the race by September." :o:

"Jose Contreras will be this team's best starter down the stretch against, and will pitch brilliantly against good teams." :o:

"Scott Podsednik's OBP will go UP from 2004, but his SBs will go DOWN." :o:

"Kenny Rogers will have more triples than Podsednik on September 10."

"Ken Griffey Jr.'s not washed up even though he's currently hitting .244 and just hit his first HR of the season on April 30. I bet he will be resurgent this year, dominate the NL, stay injury free and the Reds won't trade him for anything." :o:

"The White Sox will pursue Ken Griffey, Jr." :o:

"Aaron Rowand's overall numbers will be as good as Carlos Beltran's. And Aaron will have a down season." :o:

"Shingo? The closer? I doubt it. He'll end up being released by July." :o:

"The Big Hurt will hit .219 in his comeback with the Sox... and his production will be enormous!" :o:

"Sure the A's are God awful, in last place and 11 games behind right now, but you watch- they're going to get hot and take possession of 1st place before this season is over."

"Even though the Sox are in contention for the pennant, I don't see Ken Williams actually coming away with a big splash at the trade deadline. In fact, I doubt any big names will move at all." :o:

And of course:
"September baseball will barely matter to the White Sox.... because their lead will be close to 10 games in the AL Central and clinching the division will be all but a formality."

HomeFish will have his own thread, yet spend most of the season away from the board.

chisoxmike
09-11-2005, 01:28 AM
The Chicago White Sox will be in first place every single day of the 2005 season.:o:

Jurr
09-11-2005, 11:45 AM
The Sox are still going to hit 200 homers. :o:

Dustin Hermanson is going to get 40 saves.:o:

batmanZoSo
09-11-2005, 12:42 PM
"It's splits-ville for Delta Burke and Major Dad."

But they seemed so happy...:(:

Ol' No. 2
09-11-2005, 08:02 PM
The Chicago White Sox will be in first place every single day of the 2005 season.:o:And people are still panicking.

harwar
09-11-2005, 08:12 PM
And people are still panicking.

Yes,its very strange that the only ones who think that we might not make the playoffs are some White Sox fans.
Every tv & radio show says the same thing.
The White Sox have too much pitching not to make the playoffs,but once there they won't go very far.
Well,they are half right.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-11-2005, 08:16 PM
And people are still panicking.

People might be panicking because 1st place only counts on the last day of the season. Anyway:

"Bobby Jenks may be your closer in October."

"Jon Garland will be better than Randy Johnson."

"Jermaine Dye will lead all A.L. Right Fielders in HRs."

"Joe Crede will suck."

Chips
09-11-2005, 08:26 PM
"That Juan Uribe would have better power numbers than Aaron Rowand"

chisoxfanatic
09-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Cliff Politte would have double the number of wins of Kerry Wood on September 11, 2005.

Huisj
09-11-2005, 10:15 PM
And of course:

Well, the lead is going to be down to 5 1/2 in an hour or so, and while that's still an ok lead, I wouldn't exactly go say that the baseball the rest of the month "barely matters." Unfortunately the corpseball this weekend combined with Cleveland's continued hot streak is making some baseball start to matter.

How about this for this thread topic though: Neil Cotts won't give up an earned run between early july and early september, and his ERA will be under 2.

A_ROW33
09-11-2005, 10:26 PM
The whitesox will have more all stars than the Yankees

Lip Man 1
09-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Harwar:

I don't think people are 'panicking' because the Sox are in first place. They are concerned because a 15 game lead on August 1 has shrunk to 5 1/2 on September 11.

Even though momentum can't be measured it counts for something. Sox fans don't want to see a repeat of 2000 where (certainly in part) because of numerous injuries, the Sox basically went through the motions the final week, then were dead to the world in the ALDS. Something like that does tend to take something off the regular season regardless of how many wins were collected don't ya think?

Lip

ShoelessJoeS
09-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Cliff Politte would have double the number of wins of Kerry Wood on September 11, 2005.
Come on CSF, you know that was a given :tongue:

BeviBall!
09-12-2005, 12:47 AM
"That half of Joe Crede's home runs wouldn't really count."

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2005, 12:56 AM

:dunno:

ShoelessJoeS
09-12-2005, 01:57 AM
Lol, shoota...