PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Wow, that sucked Postgame Thread 9/10

chisoxmike
09-10-2005, 04:24 PM
I applaud Ozzie for pulling the starters who wern't getting it done off Colon who was all over the place this afternoon. Maybe that will wake them up.

Garland blew today too, hopefully "old Jon" isn't making a comback.
Go get 'em tomorrow, don't get sweapt!

Magic number: 15
Been stuck here for a while now boys!

Cowhead418
09-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Borchard is batting 1.000!:cool:

He gone
09-10-2005, 04:30 PM
I like it..............

It's good to see Borchard, Anderson, Gload, Casanova and Bajenaru getting some playing time. I just wish it was under different circumstances :D:

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/4095/ph4000216dd.jpg

Look who's batting 1.000 :cool:

SOXfnNlansing
09-10-2005, 04:32 PM
I like the fact that Ozzie mt'd the bench..... we'll try to salvage tomorrow's game for a 7-3 home stand.

skobabe8
09-10-2005, 04:33 PM
I hope these guys can take it to another level when it really matters.

patbooyah
09-10-2005, 04:33 PM
I like it..............

couldn't he have found someone for blum, though?

harwar
09-10-2005, 04:34 PM
I don't know what to say about this game except that i'm glad that i couldn't go.

Yetch !!!

StillMissOzzie
Yeah, I hope Judy hasn't made a return engagement. This matchup may have cost Garland a shot at the Cy Young, too. Colon goes to 19-6 while Garland falls to 17-9. So far, the Angels have made it look all too easy against the Sox starters 1-2 punch of Buehrle & Garland. Is there any way to make sure that the Sox do NOT play an AL West team in the first round of post-season play?

SMO
:angry:

oeo
I hope these guys can take it to another level when it really matters.

Me too...but you may be called a dark cloud for saying that. I said the same thing last night, and ChiSox003 was all over me.

He gone
09-10-2005, 04:35 PM

I was thinking the same about Timo and then he get's a hit :o:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-10-2005, 04:35 PM

Blum came in for Uribe. He doesn't need rest - he'll get plent now that Crede is back.

I'm going to the gmae tomorrow - hopefully a White Sox winner!!!

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Win 7, lose three...then win 7 more. Let's go, salvage tomorrow, make it a 7'3 homestand.

patbooyah
09-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Blum came in for Uribe. He doesn't need rest - he'll get plent now that Crede is back.

well, with men on first and second and a least a small chance of making the game closer i sure would have liked to see someone besides blum. he absolutely sucks.

soxfanreggie
09-10-2005, 04:41 PM
We really need to win tomorrow. After last night's disappointment and getting shelled today...

Jenks pitched a really good game yesterday. I think he's making his case very strong now to be our closer. Hermie...he's just not hitting his spots like he was earlier. I knew Cora would send Rowand; they had to make a perfect throw to get us and they did. Had most coaches been out there, they probably would have held Rowand, but we know Cora would wave him around. Who also knew that Vlad would make two very big baserunning mistakes and have them both work out for himself. That usually doesn't happen.

Tomorrow is a must win. We can't let the lead slip any more. We have a big series in Kansas that can't be a let down either. We have destroyed the Royals this year, now is not the time to let them come back. It would be really nice to clinch before the last week of the season. The biggest games will be the 3 games when Cleveland comes to Chicago. The three in Minn are also very dangerous as they are making a charge for the wildcard.

We have pretty much destroyed the central this year, but the season isn't over yet. Let's hope our big sticks show up and pound the ball and our pitchers pitch like they have most of the season.

delben91
09-10-2005, 04:42 PM
13 hits, 5 runs. Most days that's enough to win. The pitching is scuffling the past 3 games, but once they come back around, the offense is there and waiting.

I'm more confident that the arms will come back then I would be if we were struggling with the bats again.

Dan H
09-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Garland stunk today. Sox hitters didn't come through when the game was still in reach. Hopefully Garland will find it again, because lately he hasn't looked like a front line pitcher unless he is going against the Tigers. White Sox better not be going into another long losing streak. The Indians are on a mission. This was awful after they let last night's game get away.:angry:

chisoxmike
We have pretty much destroyed the central this year, but the season isn't over yet. Let's hope our big sticks show up and pound the ball and our pitchers pitch like they have most of the season.

I hope the Sox realize this, I'm not saying they're going to blow the lead, but sometimes they play like they've won it already. The pitching was bad yesterday and today, that's the story of the series so far.

SoxSpeed22
Don't let the Dark Clouds ride the night. That is all.

SouthSide_HitMen
well, with men on first and second and a least a small chance of making the game closer i sure would have liked to see someone besides blum. he absolutely sucks.

Ozuna was the last infielder on the bench - Ozzie probably wanted to save him for emergency. (Not including Dye who played an inning at SS in Oakland this year).

ilsox7
09-10-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that we hope this team turns it up another level when they have to. Last time the lead was where it is now, they ripped off 7 in a row. Everything that has been thrown at them this season they have reacted well too. I certainly do not want a pennant race and want to clinch ASAP, but some pressure (such as Ozzie's message today) is not bad at all.

The bottom line is Championship teams step it up when they need to. For the Angels, every game is a playoff game right now. For us, they're not.

I fully expect to see a great effort tomorrow from the Scout Seats I just scored for free! :smile:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Well to make lemonaide out of lemons:

1. Our bullpen is rested.

2. Our hitters are rested.

3. This may make the team focus more as they enter the last few weeks.

Get'em tomorrow boys.

mdep524
09-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Rough outing for Garland today. I don't put too much credence in the "Buehrle and Garland suck it up against good teams" argument, but both guys are slipping a bit. It doesn't matter now, as I wouldn't want them showing their best stuff to a playoff opponent anyway. But they better be ready to step it up when the bell rings for game 1 of the ALDS.

Rowand and Everett are funkin'. We're going to need them in the playoffs, so hopefully they come around. Aaron is getting jammed every single at bat right now. He needs to try a new approach. Everett just seems pretty undisciplined- he's a streaky hitter anyways.

LuvSox
09-10-2005, 04:50 PM
We'll be just fine. A 7-3 homestand is a-ok.

RallyBowl
09-10-2005, 04:56 PM
We really need to win tomorrow. After last night's disappointment and getting shelled today...

Jenks pitched a really good game yesterday. I think he's making his case very strong now to be our closer. Hermie...he's just not hitting his spots like he was earlier. I knew Cora would send Rowand; they had to make a perfect throw to get us and they did. Had most coaches been out there, they probably would have held Rowand, but we know Cora would wave him around. Who also knew that Vlad would make two very big baserunning mistakes and have them both work out for himself. That usually doesn't happen.

Tomorrow is a must win. We can't let the lead slip any more. We have a big series in Kansas that can't be a let down either. We have destroyed the Royals this year, now is not the time to let them come back. It would be really nice to clinch before the last week of the season. The biggest games will be the 3 games when Cleveland comes to Chicago. The three in Minn are also very dangerous as they are making a charge for the wildcard.

I'm not sure I understand. We NEED to win tomorrow or else what exactly? The sky will fall? If you thought they were going to take every series in the month of September, then you over estimated them and underestimated other teams. If we get swept, it is not the end of the season, or a sign of it.

RallyBowl
09-10-2005, 04:58 PM
We'll be just fine. A 7-3 homestand is a-ok.

So short, so simple, yet so true and appropriate. Good post.

pczarapa
09-10-2005, 05:11 PM

How bout it, will he even make the playoff roster? His defense isn't that great, and he just sucks with the bat.

DrCrawdad
09-10-2005, 05:12 PM
The thread title pretty much sums up todays game.

I'm going tomorrow, along with the rest of the family, thanks to a generous WSI patron!

:worship:

pczarapa
09-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Rough outing for Garland today. I don't put too much credence in the "Buehrle and Garland suck it up against good teams" argument, but both guys are slipping a bit. It doesn't matter now, as I wouldn't want them showing their best stuff to a playoff opponent anyway. But they better be ready to step it up when the bell rings for game 1 of the ALDS.

Rowand and Everett are funkin'. We're going to need them in the playoffs, so hopefully they come around. Aaron is getting jammed every single at bat right now. He needs to try a new approach. Everett just seems pretty undisciplined- he's a streaky hitter anyways.

I wonder if it's the fact they've lost some confidence in the Sox's ability to generate runs so they're pressing too hard. Garland looked like he was aiming today rather than throwing.

Jurr
09-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Monday just needs to hurry up and get here. You see that the guys are looking for a day off, and they know the light is at the end of the tunnel. The Boston game was a very good character game for the Sox, as they said, "screw it" and won that game. Now, the guys (especially after losing the 12 inning game last night) are just looking at nothing but Monday, and I don't blame 'em. They need a day off to just hang out with their families and take it easy.

Don't worry about the division lead. We know one thing.....the White Sox are the daddies of the AL Central...period. I don't care if it's Cleveland, KC, Detroit, or Minnesota. The Sox look great against them all, and everybody knows it. After Monday, it's time for the Sox to go and take care of the title. No problem. They're going to beat KC at least 2 of 3. They're going to beat Cleveland. They're going to beat Minnesota. They may not win every game, and they may not win every series, but they're going to win the 8 or 9 more games it's going to take to get the division wrapped up at the very least.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...the Sox are playing lousy against the potential playoff teams in other divisions. Who cares. Once the playoffs get here, all bets are off. There's no extracurricular thinking going on...no worries about being tired, wanting a day off, etc. It's all about focus. When the Sox have been totally focused, they are damn good. They looked very focused during that series in Yankee stadium. They looked focused in Boston this past week. And no matter what, every time the Sox start a run against the AL Central, they always get that focus back.

Near the All-Star break, they looked lousy, and got their focus back to open up the second half. Down went Cleveland in four straight. There are no worries. When this team shows up to play and gets really serious about it, they win. Their defense picks up, they battle at the plate, and the pitching gets it going. That's what I expect out of them in the playoffs.

It's easy to look at three straight losses and start to panic. Hell, the division lead could be down to 6.5 games. After tomorrow, it may be 5.5 games! But, my friends, there's that little thing called an off day followed by a run against the division that we own. No problems. No worries.

Once the Sox get to the playoffs, the focus will be there, and the real Sox will make an appearance. Heroes will emerge. McCarthy may come in and make a difference. Anderson may get some clutch hits or homers. Jenks may get a big time hold to ice a win for the Sox during the playoffs. The possibilities are endless. I can't wait. Just remember that this division is ours. It has been that way from wire to wire, and it's not going away. We'll beat Cleveland, and every time we do, the magic number goes down 2 games. That's where we make our statement.
Don't worry, Sox fans.....this has been a great season, and the fun is just beginning.

MarySwiss
09-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Monday just needs to hurry up and get here. You see that the guys are looking for a day off, and they know the light is at the end of the tunnel. The Boston game was a very good character game for the Sox, as they said, "screw it" and won that game. Now, the guys (especially after losing the 12 inning game last night) are just looking at nothing but Monday, and I don't blame 'em. They need a day off to just hang out with their families and take it easy.

Don't worry about the division lead. We know one thing.....the White Sox are the daddies of the AL Central...period. I don't care if it's Cleveland, KC, Detroit, or Minnesota. The Sox look great against them all, and everybody knows it. After Monday, it's time for the Sox to go and take care of the title. No problem. They're going to beat KC at least 2 of 3. They're going to beat Cleveland. They're going to beat Minnesota. They may not win every game, and they may not win every series, but they're going to win the 8 or 9 more games it's going to take to get the division wrapped up at the very least.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...the Sox are playing lousy against the potential playoff teams in other divisions. Who cares. Once the playoffs get here, all bets are off. There's no extracurricular thinking going on...no worries about being tired, wanting a day off, etc. It's all about focus. When the Sox have been totally focused, they are damn good. They looked very focused during that series in Yankee stadium. They looked focused in Boston this past week. And no matter what, every time the Sox start a run against the AL Central, they always get that focus back.

Near the All-Star break, they looked lousy, and got their focus back to open up the second half. Down went Cleveland in four straight. There are no worries. When this team shows up to play and gets really serious about it, they win. Their defense picks up, they battle at the plate, and the pitching gets it going. That's what I expect out of them in the playoffs.

It's easy to look at three straight losses and start to panic. Hell, the division lead could be down to 6.5 games. After tomorrow, it may be 5.5 games! But, my friends, there's that little thing called an off day followed by a run against the division that we own. No problems. No worries.

Once the Sox get to the playoffs, the focus will be there, and the real Sox will make an appearance. Heroes will emerge. McCarthy may come in and make a difference. Anderson may get some clutch hits or homers. Jenks may get a big time hold to ice a win for the Sox during the playoffs. The possibilities are endless. I can't wait. Just remember that this division is ours. It has been that way from wire to wire, and it's not going away. We'll beat Cleveland, and every time we do, the magic number goes down 2 games. That's where we make our statement.
Don't worry, Sox fans.....this has been a great season, and the fun is just beginning.

Jurr: I don't know you, but you sir--or madam--are my hero! This is one of the most intelligent, carefully reasoned posts I have read in some time. And the antithesis of Dark Cloud-ism.

I can only add that Cleveland still has to play tonight. So let's wait and see. The division lead could still be 7.5 easily.

RallyBowl
09-10-2005, 05:36 PM

You sir, are THE MAN. Couldn't have said it better.

chisoxmike
09-10-2005, 05:43 PM

Here here :gulp:

Hey, with a Cleveland loss tonight, the magic number will go down to 14.:bandance:

cbone
09-10-2005, 05:51 PM

And so shines a good deed in a weary world. Willie Wonka :smile:

dpbyron
09-10-2005, 06:00 PM

Perfectly put... :cheers:

CHISOXFAN13
09-10-2005, 06:02 PM

Post of the year! :gulp: to you

6th_starter
09-10-2005, 06:02 PM
I mind losing to these guys less when i think that every game the Angels win is gives us a better shot of not facing the A's in the first round. I want no part of that team,stadium etc. The Angels are tough, just something bout those darnd A's

TornLabrum
09-10-2005, 06:20 PM
The one thing that bothers me is that in each of the last three games with our three best starters, after we've scored a run to either get or advance the lead, each one of them has promptly gone out and given it away in the next inning. This is an old pattern from the past that just bugs the hell out of me.

However, that's all it is: an irritation. Period. Now let's go out and beat 'em tomorrow.

ilsox7
09-10-2005, 06:22 PM
The one thing that bothers me is that in each of the last three games with our three best starters, after we've scored a run to either get or advance the lead, each one of them has promptly gone out and given it away in the next inning. This is an old pattern from the past that just bugs the hell out of me.

However, that's all it is: an irritation. Period. Now let's go out and beat 'em tomorrow.

I said it in the game thread, but this is my biggest pet peeve in baseball. Your team goes and gets you momentum and you cannot hold it. Frustrates the hell out of me. Luckily we've been so good this year we can have a few bad ones in a row. Looking forward to tomorrow!

MUsoxfan
09-10-2005, 06:29 PM
I was at the game today. It was very frustrating to see the Sox string a couple hits together and then put in PH after PH to finally it was almost the Charlotte Knights vs. Anaheim. It felt to me like Ozzie gave up and threw in the towel once he put David Sanders and all the PH's in. A very disappointing game as a whole

alohafri
09-10-2005, 06:43 PM
I am back on the ledge and need some talking down. Oh, and send beer.

DrCrawdad
09-10-2005, 07:16 PM
I am back on the ledge and need some talking down. Oh, and send beer.

Me too! Me too!

infohawk
09-10-2005, 07:18 PM
13 hits, 5 runs. Most days that's enough to win. The pitching is scuffling the past 3 games, but once they come back around, the offense is there and waiting.

I'm more confident that the arms will come back then I would be if we were struggling with the bats again.

Yeah, Mark and Jon need to step it up a bit. Even though Freddy took the loss the other night against K.C., he had a quality start. It's no surprise that every win during the seven game streak was accompanied by a quality start. Again, the Sox really had eight quality starts in a row if you count Freddy's game.

The offense and the bullpen have been pretty consistent this month. I took a look at what is left of the schedule and decided that the Sox should win a minimum of 10 more games. I was very conservative in my estimates of who we would beat. For example, I started my count with the possibility that the Sox would lose all 3 to the Angels. I don't have the Sox sweeping the Royals or Tigers, and I have the Sox winning only 2 games against Cleveland. I'm not trying to be pessimistic about how they will perform, just rolling out a realistic "worst case scenario." Note that I wrote a MINIMUM of ten more games.

Even with that "worst case" result, the Sox would end up with 97 wins. That is definitely enough for the wildcard and should be enough for the division. I've decided that I'm not going to complain if the Sox were to win 97 games and still lose the division but make the playoffs as the wildcard. Hey, if the Indians win 98 or more games, I'll tip my cap to them. That's hardly a "collapse" by the Sox.

That brings us to the playoffs. Anything can happen in the playoffs. If a team gets hot at the right time they can win. I'm not worried about first round match-ups. You've got to play good ball against anybody. The key is to be in the dance and hope your team goes on a tear. In my mind, unless you win the pennant, there is no real victory in getting to the championship series. Sure there's emotional value and "high-five, look at us" value, but you didn't really win anything. You can win the division, the pennant and the world series. No such thing as "we were only one series away." Once in the playoffs, you win the pennant/world series or you don't.

That said, the Sox will need to find a gear that they haven't really shown yet if they want to at least win a pennant. I have a buddy who is a Red Sox fan. Until they finally beat the Yankees and won the World Series, he used to complain about their grittiness. He would say that the Red Sox have a good team, often one of the best in baseball, but every year they would lose the games that really mattered against the Yankees toward the end of the season. He thought it was a lack of toughness or grittiness. The lack of being able to shift it just one gear higher when they really needed it.

I bring this up because that's kind of how I feel about the Sox right now. Good team, nice talent and well-balanced. Pretty good pitching that can be dominant at times. Overall a team that can and will be a playoff team. A team I really like and can get behind. In fact, a team that has the talent and balance to win a world championship. Problem is, I don't ever have a confident feeling about them in big games or "benchmark" games. If it was decided that, say, the Sox and the Angels would play one game, with the winner going to the playoffs and both teams having all of their pitchers rested and available for that game, I wouldn't feel good about it. I certainly don't consider myself a dark cloud -- most of my posts are pretty optimistic -- but I would feel that somehow, someway the Sox would lose the game for lack of ability to shift one gear higher.

I'm really feeling that way about Mark and Jon right now. Two very talented pitchers having terrific seasons. I hate to say it, but somehow I just knew that the Sox would lose today. My reasoning was that this was a big game because the Angels are a potential playoff opponent AND a good outing by Jon could really boost his Cy Young chances over Colon. Big game for the Sox and a HUGE game for Jon. I then thought to myself, you know, we just don't win thoses types of game. If anyone wets himself, it will be Jon.

Anyway, I love this team and certainly know in my head that they have the talent to go all the way. I'm just hoping that, once in the playoffs, they find that higher gear. I hope a bunch of guys really step it up and go down in the annals of White Sox lore as our heroes.

What are you guys thinking?

Jurr
09-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Jurr: I don't know you, but you sir--or madam--are my hero! This is one of the most intelligent, carefully reasoned posts I have read in some time. And the antithesis of Dark Cloud-ism.

I can only add that Cleveland still has to play tonight. So let's wait and see. The division lead could still be 7.5 easily.
Thank you very much. NW Indiana born...Sox fan since conception.
I have watched every game this season, and I've been a part of this site since '01 (though this screen name is circa '03.)
I love this team, and I watch every game. I hate losses, but I see the big picture, and I realize that a lot of the fans get caught up in the day-to-day feelings associated with each win or loss.

Sox win-world series. Sox lose-worst team ever.

I love each and every Sox fan for their spirit. It's unlike any other fan base I've ever seen. Some fans get so down during a loss, and I love to help them get that sense of calm in knowing that they have a great team to watch.

My grandfather carried a Sox pennant in his pack as he stormed Normandy and wasn't alive to see the Sox win a world series. He lived to the age of 78 and never saw his boys take one home. There are a lot of families of Sox fans that have the same stories. I am so excited about the possibility of seeing the guys do it at some point. It might as well be this year.

I'm so excited about the playoffs. The Sox are going, and this is a season where every team has enough deficiencies to make the World Series attainable by whomever gets to the playoffs. It could be our year, and there's nothing more exciting than that. It gives me chills.

mdep524
09-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Yeah, Mark and Jon need to step it up a bit. Even though Freddy took the loss the other night against K.C., he had a quality start. It's no surprise that every win during the seven game streak was accompanied by a quality start. Again, the Sox really had eight quality starts in a row if you count Freddy's game.

The offense and the bullpen have been pretty consistent this month. I took a look at what is left of the schedule and decided that the Sox should win a minimum of 10 more games. I was very conservative in my estimates of who we would beat. For example, I started my count with the possibility that the Sox would lose all 3 to the Angels. I don't have the Sox sweeping the Royals or Tigers, and I have the Sox winning only 2 games against Cleveland. I'm not trying to be pessimistic about how they will perform, just rolling out a realistic "worst case scenario." Note that I wrote a MINIMUM of ten more games.

Even with that "worst case" result, the Sox would end up with 97 wins. That is definitely enough for the wildcard and should be enough for the division. I've decided that I'm not going to complain if the Sox were to win 97 games and still lose the division but make the playoffs as the wildcard. Hey, if the Indians win 98 or more games, I'll tip my cap to them. That's hardly a "collapse" by the Sox.

That brings us to the playoffs. Anything can happen in the playoffs. If a team gets hot at the right time they can win. I'm not worried about first round match-ups. You've got to play good ball against anybody. The key is to be in the dance and hope your team goes on a tear. In my mind, unless you win the pennant, there is no real victory in getting to the championship series. Sure there's emotional value and "high-five, look at us" value, but you didn't really win anything. You can win the division, the pennant and the world series. No such thing as "we were only one series away." Once in the playoffs, you win the pennant/world series or you don't.

That said, the Sox will need to find a gear that they haven't really shown yet if they want to at least win a pennant. I have a buddy who is a Red Sox fan. Until they finally beat the Yankees and won the World Series, he used to complain about their grittiness. He would say that the Red Sox have a good team, often one of the best in baseball, but every year they would lose the games that really mattered against the Yankees toward the end of the season. He thought it was a lack of toughness or grittiness. The lack of being able to shift it just one gear higher when they really needed it.

I bring this up because that's kind of how I feel about the Sox right now. Good team, nice talent and well-balanced. Pretty good pitching that can be dominant at times. Overall a team that can and will be a playoff team. A team I really like and can get behind. In fact, a team that has the talent and balance to win a world championship. Problem is, I don't ever have a confident feeling about them in big games or "benchmark" games. If it was decided that, say, the Sox and the Angels would play one game, with the winner going to the playoffs and both teams having all of their pitchers rested and available for that game, I wouldn't feel good about it. I certainly don't consider myself a dark cloud -- most of my posts are pretty optimistic -- but I would feel that somehow, someway the Sox would lose the game for lack of ability to shift one gear higher.

I'm really feeling that way about Mark and Jon right now. Two very talented pitchers having terrific seasons. I hate to say it, but somehow I just knew that the Sox would lose today. My reasoning was that this was a big game because the Angels are a potential playoff opponent AND a good outing by Jon could really boost his Cy Young chances over Colon. Big game for the Sox and a HUGE game for Jon. I then thought to myself, you know, we just don't win thoses types of game. If anyone wets himself, it will be Jon.

Anyway, I love this team and certainly know in my head that they have the talent to go all the way. I'm just hoping that, once in the playoffs, they find that higher gear. I hope a bunch of guys really step it up and go down in the annals of White Sox lore as our heroes.

What are you guys thinking?I think this team is plenty gritty- they have the desire and the guts to win big games. Problem is, the season is too long for a team as good as the Sox. The Sox did everything they needed to do in April through June- flawlessly! Every other team in the AL slipped or struggled at some point and the Sox took advantage and cruised.

The feeling is there's really no point for them to be playing at all right now. They have NOTHING to prove to ANYBODY- mediots, other teams, etc. The playoffs will take care of that. Its really anticlimatic, and its leading to that blah feeling. Personally, I am actually getting a little tired of watching regular season games, knowing how irrelevant they are. Yes, the Sox lead is "down" to 6.5, but take a step back and you'll see that is quite a solid lead in mid September. The playoffs is what its all about now.

To me, the only things to watch for in the next few weeks are:

*Can Dustin Hermanson remain healthy enough and sharp enough to be a reliable closer? Or will we have to go to Jenks? Is Jenks ready?

*Can Aaron Rowand work out the kinks in his approach at the plate right now to stop getting jammed all the time? He's going to be the number 3 or 5 hitter, he has to be confident and productive up there.

*Can Paul Konerko, a guy who has a tendency to out-think himself, not overanalyze his hot streak and let it ride through October? Can he not put extra pressure on himself when we get there?

*Can and will El Duque pitch in the bullpen in the playoffs, even though he was considered an elite playoff stater?

Frankly, that's all I care about at this point. For the most part**, Game outcomes are totally meaningless!

(**The one caveat is that the Sox win enough to clinch the Central, which I have a lot faith they will.)

ChicagoHoosier
09-10-2005, 08:03 PM

That's really my only concern. Pitching has gotten it done for us all year, but not quite as sharp vs. the better teams. I'm hoping our best pitchers have their "A" game WHEN we are pitching in the playoffs. Garland didn't actually look terrible today, but every outing from here on out, I think in terms of "what would they pitch like in the playoffs" and that's my concern. If you had told me we'd score 5 runs both games with MB and Garland pitching, I'd have taken it! :(:

I hope it's a minor bump in the road. I still love Buehrle and Freddy and hope Garland can keep it up. I still have a lot of confidence, but we'd all feel SO much better if they could have bounced back after last night with a big W today.

But if you read my other posts, I'm by no means a dark cloud. Just expressing a concern with two of our best pitchers.

kitekrazy
09-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Well after reading that nice long positive post, I'm confused as to who the real Sox really are.

Lately, I've seen the Manuel Sox, being unclutch in every way along with a 3rd base coach making a big mistake. And once again a manger saying he knows baseball while using a .250 strike out artist in the 3rd spot whose name is not Dusty Baker.

The 1st half Sox were so unreal.

I don't mind the losses except when they beat themselves.

Jurr
09-10-2005, 08:41 PM
But if you read my other posts, I'm by no means a dark cloud. Just expressing a concern with two of our best pitchers.
Our two best pitchers? I wouldn't say that. They had great first halves, but our best pitcher in the second half has been Contreras. The other guys will fall into line behind him. Jose has always had the best "stuff" of any of the Sox pitchers, but he's been too much of a headcase to show it. Now he's showing why the AL East guys were beating each other up over this guy a couple of years ago.

BigEdWalsh
09-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Thank you very much. NW Indiana born...Sox fan since conception.
I have watched every game this season, and I've been a part of this site since '01 (though this screen name is circa '03.)
I love this team, and I watch every game. I hate losses, but I see the big picture, and I realize that a lot of the fans get caught up in the day-to-day feelings associated with each win or loss.

Sox win-world series. Sox lose-worst team ever.

I love each and every Sox fan for their spirit. It's unlike any other fan base I've ever seen. Some fans get so down during a loss, and I love to help them get that sense of calm in knowing that they have a great team to watch.

My grandfather carried a Sox pennant in his pack as he stormed Normandy and wasn't alive to see the Sox win a world series. He lived to the age of 78 and never saw his boys take one home. There are a lot of families of Sox fans that have the same stories. I am so excited about the possibility of seeing the guys do it at some point. It might as well be this year.

I'm so excited about the playoffs. The Sox are going, and this is a season where every team has enough deficiencies to make the World Series attainable by whomever gets to the playoffs. It could be our year, and there's nothing more exciting than that. It gives me chills.

This was post was even better than your previous post. You're on a real roll.
:)

Viva Medias B's
09-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Well, I think it may come down to whether we can beat Cleveland head-to-head.

mike squires
09-10-2005, 11:27 PM
The only real major complaint I have on Ozzie is he could show some more fire on close calls. It seems he could have stuck up for A.J a little more and could have sparked the team a little bit.

Or maybe he's afraid and getting kicked out of the game cause Harold wouldn't know what to do? :D:

Cellview22
09-10-2005, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the magic # is down to 6 when Cleveland comes to town on the 19th. If we win the first 2 games, the magic # will be down to 2, and Wednesday night, the 21st, could be the clincher. I just hope we can clinch ASAP.

We need to get it done tomorrow.. El Duque has to come up huge. I'm looking forward to tomorrow, 2 great games on tv... Tribe vs Twins is on ESPN!

Go Sox!

Ol' No. 2
09-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Boy, I've been avoiding this thread all day, but what a surprise. The maniacs must be taking the weekend off.:D: Only one post saying tomorrow is a "must win". How can that be a "must win" when they've lost at least a dozen "must win" games already this year?:?:

There is only one thing that concerns me and that is that the starters are beginning to look tired. I know they all say they feel fine, but how you feel is not always the best barometer. The results say otherwise. I'd rather not have them running on fumes in October.

Monday is an off-day and all the starters will come back with an extra day's rest. I predict that it will show. But with 20 straight days after that, I would like to see them get some extra rest. A 6-man rotation is definately called for IMO. With a 5-man they each would pitch 4 games. With a 6-man the 4 starters they're going to use in the playoffs could be limited to 3 starts each. But more importantly, they'll get that extra rest between starts.

pczarapa
09-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Well, I think it may come down to whether we can beat Cleveland head-to-head.

Yeah, me too. They are freaky right now, I would love to see them lose a couple before we see them.

BeviBall!
09-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Yeah, me too. They are freaky right now, I would love to see them lose a couple before we see them.

They will. But they might just lose only 2.

Ol' No. 2
09-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah, me too. They are freaky right now, I would love to see them lose a couple before we see them.The Indians have been taking advantage of the soft part of their schedule. They've spent most of the last month playing Detroit, TB, KC and Toronto. That's about to end. They have three next week with the A's and six remaining with the best team in the AL. That's almost half their remaining games against playoff contenders. I predict a cold front descending over Cleveland.

BeviBall!
09-10-2005, 11:51 PM
The Indians have been taking advantage of the soft part of their schedule. They've spent most of the last month playing Detroit, TB, KC and Toronto. That's about to end. They have three next week with the A's and six remaining with the best team in the AL. That's almost half their remaining games against playoff contenders. I predict a cold front descending over Cleveland.

In actaulity, if we just win 2 of the 6 from them, it's over. I think the A's can steal 1-2 off of them since they're fighting each other. I'm ashamed at the effort Detroit and Minny have been putting out. Talk about taking an early vacation.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Actually No. 2, the Twins were supposed to be part of that more difficult stretch for them along with the A's according to many folks ten days ago (and I was one of them...)

Lip

Brian26
09-11-2005, 12:46 AM
In actaulity, if we just win 2 of the 6 from them, it's over.

Yep. We've got 6 games with them. They almost have to run the table or go 5-1 to even have a shot. If we split with them, they make up no ground. If we win only 2 of the 6 games, they only make up 2 games against us. We really control our own destiny here.

Ol' No. 2
09-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Actually No. 2, the Twins were supposed to be part of that more difficult stretch for them along with the A's according to many folks ten days ago (and I was one of them...)

LipWell, the Twinks took 2 of 3 from them last weekend. But since then the Twinks seem to have gone into complete meltdown. Who would have thought it in April? But the A's are still alive and fighting for a playoff spot. I think they're going to come up short, but they'll give the Indians a run for their money. And the Sox have beaten the Indians silly this year. Imagine the Sox were trailing the A's by 6.5 games and had 6 remaining against them. How good would you feel about their chances with the way the A's have beaten them all year? That's basically the situation the Indians are in. They have to win at least 5 of those six games to make any real headway.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2005, 01:35 AM
No.2:

I certainly can't argue with your logic and more then likely you'll be completely correct... still it's odd that after such a record breaking start, among the best in the history of the franchise, the Sox still haven't been able to put Cleveland away and it's September 11th.

I don't know if that reflects on Cleveland after a bad first six weeks to their season or on the Sox starting from the point where Oakland came in and blasted them right before the All Star break.

We'll know in less then three weeks I guess.

Lip

IowaSox1971
09-11-2005, 03:08 AM
We're playing a team right now that has more of a sense of urgency than we do. The Angels hold a very slim lead over Oakland, and they need every victory they can get. The problem is, aside from Ozuna's steal of home, I felt Kansas City also had more of a sense of urgency than we did during our series earlier in the week. We were fortunate to win two of three in that series. We do not have anything clinched just yet. In a week, the lead could be down to three or four games, and then anything could happen. What bothers me a bit is that we have a pitcher who has thrown 15 consecutive shutout innings as a starter, but we're afraid to use him because Ozzie doesn't want to offend Buehrle and Garland. If Buehrle and Garland don't want a six-man rotation, then they should at least show why one is not needed. Both guys have failed miserably the past two games. Another question: If we're not going to start McCarthy, why wasn't he at least used in the seventh inning today? We were only down 7-2, and at least we could have given Brandon some work, and he probably would have held the Angels down a bit. Instead, we put in Sanders, who gives up three quick runs, making our subsequent three runs meaningless. Ozzie should know better. If you get within 7-4 or 7-5 after seven innings, you still have a decent chance. We overcame a huge deficit to beat the Angels last season. I believe the score was 8-3 in the seventh inning of that game, and we came back and won, doing most of our damage against K-Rod. I'm not saying that the same thing definitely would have happened this time, but it might have been worth it to at least let McCarthy throw a few innings and see what happens.

Nellie_Fox
09-11-2005, 03:31 AM
We're playing a team right now that has more of a sense of urgency than we do. The Angels hold a very slim lead over Oakland, and they need every victory they can get. The problem is, aside from Ozuna's steal of home, I felt Kansas City also had more of a sense of urgency than we did during our series earlier in the week. We were fortunate to win two of three in that series. We do not have anything clinched just yet. In a week, the lead could be down to three or four games, and then anything could happen. What bothers me a bit is that we have a pitcher who has thrown 15 consecutive shutout innings as a starter, but we're afraid to use him because Ozzie doesn't want to offend Buehrle and Garland. If Buehrle and Garland don't want a six-man rotation, then they should at least show why one is not needed. Both guys have failed miserably the past two games. Another question: If we're not going to start McCarthy, why wasn't he at least used in the seventh inning today? We were only down 7-2, and at least we could have given Brandon some work, and he probably would have held the Angels down a bit. Instead, we put in Sanders, who gives up three quick runs, making our subsequent three runs meaningless. Ozzie should know better. If you get within 7-4 or 7-5 after seven innings, you still have a decent chance. We overcame a huge deficit to beat the Angels last season. I believe the score was 8-3 in the seventh inning of that game, and we came back and won, doing most of our damage against K-Rod. I'm not saying that the same thing definitely would have happened this time, but it might have been worth it to at least let McCarthy throw a few innings and see what happens.Paragraphs, please, paragraphs.

slavko
09-11-2005, 01:11 PM
There is only one thing that concerns me and that is that the starters are beginning to look tired. I know they all say they feel fine, but how you feel is not always the best barometer. The results say otherwise. I'd rather not have them running on fumes in October.

Monday is an off-day and all the starters will come back with an extra day's rest. I predict that it will show. But with 20 straight days after that, I would like to see them get some extra rest. A 6-man rotation is definately called for IMO. With a 5-man they each would pitch 4 games. With a 6-man the 4 starters they're going to use in the playoffs could be limited to 3 starts each. But more importantly, they'll get that extra rest between starts.

Ozzie can and should forget about getting his starters more opportunities so they will stay in consideration for the Cy Young. Cy is bye-bye.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Another question: If we're not going to start McCarthy, why wasn't he at least used in the seventh inning today?

Ozzie was saving McCarthy for today to take over for El Duque if need be.

SOXSINCE'70
09-11-2005, 01:52 PM

Agree with all points.Let's win today and move onward.
Monday is the team's last off day of the regular season.
Some players look like they truly need it.

I am also bugged by the way Garcia,Beuhrle and Garland
get the lead,then cough it up.I'll write it off as an aberration.
For now.

spongyfungy
09-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Anyone go to this Saturday game? There was a pretty big fight in the Box 113 area. The beer guy was trying to separate the two guys fighting and all his money fell on the ground. Then the security lady runs down and starts shoving this punk in the chest and yelling at him.

Did they show it on television?