PDA

View Full Version : New web poll from espn.com

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-09-2005, 04:51 PM
espn.com's Mlb section has a new poll on what team will likely be eliminated from the playoffs first.(I would have to disagree with the rest of America).

Ol' No. 2
09-09-2005, 04:55 PM
espn.com's Mlb section has a new poll on what team will likely be eliminated from the playoffs first.(I would have to disagree with the rest of America).

They're not going to play the games? They're just going to have it decided by a poll?

Honestly, these polls get dumber and dumber.

downstairs
09-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Meh.

The smart money is ALWAYS on the Braves to choke, and fast, in the playoffs.

MRKARNO
09-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Honestly, these polls get dumber and dumber.

It's not the fault of the polls, it's the people answering them. ESPN plays a large role in shaping some of these ill-informed opinions, so you could blame ESPN.

TaylorStSox
09-09-2005, 05:47 PM
It's the media's fault.

daveeym
09-09-2005, 05:50 PM
I guess it woulda been wasted poll with San Diego listed.

MarySwiss
09-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Aren't a few teams missing? Where are Anaheim, Oakland, and San Diego? And isn't it interesting that the Yankmees aren't there either?

So between the Braves, Sox, Blow Sox, and Cards, we are heavily favored to exit early. Who put this poll together, Phil Rogers?

However, this should surprise absolutely no one, nor should any of us care what some idiotic ESPN poll says.

And I, for one, am appalled that the Cubs weren't included. :rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
09-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Folks, the White Sox haven't won a post-season series since 1917. I know you know that, but until they do, it's only following the odds to bet that they won't. I really am not offended by the rest of the country being skeptical until the White Sox give them a reason not to be.

chitownhawkfan
09-10-2005, 03:51 AM
Folks, the White Sox haven't won a post-season series since 1917. I know you know that, but until they do, it's only following the odds to bet that they won't. I really am not offended by the rest of the country being skeptical until the White Sox give them a reason not to be.

I see your point, but wouldnt that make us the mysterious choice. Rather than the Braves who you know are going to win their division and fade as soon as post season play begins.

Arnold, the phone is ringing and I think its for you.

fquaye149
09-10-2005, 09:30 AM

Explain to me what the 1993, 1983, and 1959 team have to do with this team?

The 2000 team I suppose retains a few members, but the others are completely distinct from this team. Therefore your claim that we haven't won a post-season series since 1917 seems kind of rooted in superstition rather than actual reason.

SOXSINCE'70
09-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Who put this poll together, Phil Rogers?
And I, for one, am appalled that the Cubs weren't included. :rolleyes:

No,Dan McGrath and Paul Sullivan did!!:D: :D: :D:

And I am also incensed the sCrUBS were dissed!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

white sox bill
09-10-2005, 05:56 PM

Hey Nellie how 'bout 1959?

Nellie_Fox
09-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Hey Nellie how 'bout 1959?What about it? They lost the World Series, which was the only postseason there was back then.

Look, I'm not busting on the Sox by any means. I'm just saying that people should stop being so offended that the so-called "experts" aren't picking them to win anything in the post season. Yes, I know that the performance of the '83 and '93 teams have absolutely nothing to do with this year, but teams that have established a history of credibility are always looked at as a bigger threat than teams that haven't. The Sox haven't, as we all know because we've suffered through it.

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-11-2005, 09:19 AM
I agree Nellie. I don't even worry about these polls anymore because of people's perception of the White Sox. A team that has no history of winning in the postseason since 1917 of course isn't going to get the same respect of a team like the Yankees.

white sox bill
09-11-2005, 09:27 AM
What about it? They lost the World Series, which was the only postseason there was back then.

Look, I'm not busting on the Sox by any means. I'm just saying that people should stop being so offended that the so-called "experts" aren't picking them to win anything in the post season. Yes, I know that the performance of the '83 and '93 teams have absolutely nothing to do with this year, but teams that have established a history of credibility are always looked at as a bigger threat than teams that haven't. The Sox haven't, as we all know because we've suffered through it.

Your right Nellie, my bad. I was still in Mama's womb in 1959!! So that kind of reminds me of the day when there were only 6 NHL teams! I assume the 3 per division and the winners played eachother for Lord Stanley's cup?!

CubKilla
09-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Hmmmm..... considering the Sox have losing records against 4 (ANA, OAK, NYY, and BOS) of the 5 probable AL postseason teams, I'd say the pollsters are just going w/the obvious when you look at the W-L numbers.

Nellie_Fox
09-12-2005, 02:09 AM
So that kind of reminds me of the day when there were only 6 NHL teams! I assume the 3 per division and the winners played eachother for Lord Stanley's cup?!Nope, there were no divisions. The top four teams out of the six played off for the Stanley Cup. One versus four, two versus three, then the survivors played for the cup.

santo=dorf
09-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Hmmmm..... considering the Sox have losing records against 4 (ANA, OAK, NYY, and BOS) of the 5 probable AL postseason teams, I'd say the pollsters are just going w/the obvious when you look at the W-L numbers.
Since when is a 3-3 record a "losing" record? :?: