PDA

View Full Version : My Sox Player Encounter (Thursday Night)

NSSoxFan
09-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Well, it was my turn to have a player encounter, and man was it one to remember. My buddies and I were out in Lincoln Park yesterday night making the usual Thursday night rounds. While everything was basically dead, wierd because it was the first week back for DePaul, the night was capped off in grand fashion.

We were wrapping up our night at McDonalds at the intersections of Fullerton/Lincoln/Halsted. As I was staring out the window, I see a cab pull up and out walks a guy that looked an awfully like Paulie. I told myself 'there is no way PK is here at McD's at 2:30 in the morning', but it was Paul. As he came in nobody noticed who he was I yelled out "Hey, what's up Paulie" he gave me the nod. I pointed out to one of my friends who is a huge Sox fan that Paul Konerko is ordering a #2 right now at the counter. He then went on to make a big scene and let the whole restaurant know that it was 'Paul Konerko from the White Sox'. I thought it would annoy Paulie, but he was very cool about everything as a group of ten gathered around him to ask for pictures/autographs. Overall, he was a great guy and he even stayed to talk to us a couple minutes after he had gotten his order.

Very cool. I certainly did not think I would see PK of all people in Lincoln Park at that time!

Iwritecode
09-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Well, it was my turn to have a player encounter, and man was it one to remember. My buddies and I were out in Lincoln Park yesterday night making the usual Thursday night rounds. While everything was basically dead, wierd because it was the first week back for DePaul, the night was capped off in grand fashion.

We were wrapping up our night at McDonalds at the intersections of Fullerton/Lincoln/Halsted. As I was staring out the window, I see a cab pull up and out walks a guy that looked an awfully like Paulie. I told myself 'there is no way PK is here at McD's at 2:30 in the morning', but it was Paul. As he came in nobody noticed who he was I yelled out "Hey, what's up Paulie" he gave me the nod. I pointed out to one of my friends who is a huge Sox fan that Paul Konerko is ordering a #2 right now at the counter. He then went on to make a big scene and let the whole restaurant know that it was 'Paul Konerko from the White Sox'. I thought it would annoy Paulie, but he was very cool about everything as a group of ten gathered around him to ask for pictures/autographs. Overall, he was a great guy and he even stayed to talk to us a couple minutes after he had gotten his order.

Very cool. I certainly did not think I would see PK of all people in Lincoln Park at that time!

You guys have McDonald's that are open at 2:30 in the morning? We have one that has a 24-hour drive-thru but that's it. They lock the inside at 10PM.

BTW, did you slap your friend for making a big scene?

CaptainBallz
09-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Very Cool. What is a #2 anyway? :dunno:

santo=dorf
09-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Did he mention how Burger King was the greatest fast food place he's ever been to?

SoxinAZ
09-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Where's the picts?????

NSSoxFan
09-09-2005, 02:41 PM
You guys have McDonald's that are open at 2:30 in the morning? We have one that has a 24-hour drive-thru but that's it. They lock the inside at 10PM.

BTW, did you slap your friend for making a big scene?

This is the only McDonald's that I know that is actually open on the inside until 4 am sometimes later. And yes, I made sure to let my friend know how big of an idiot he made of himself. I'm definitely not the type of person that go's ga-ga over a 'celebrity/athlete', so it made me embarrased.

Two cheeseburgers, fries, and a drink.

tacosalbarojas
09-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Two cheeseburgers, fries, and a drink.He ain't going to get any faster with that sort of diet! And at 2:30 in the am? Isn't Man Soo Lee on curfew watch?

cbrownson13
09-09-2005, 02:44 PM

I believe a Big Mac, not positive though.

SoxFan76
09-09-2005, 02:46 PM
I believe a Big Mac, not positive though.

That's the #1, but I don't really pay attention...:smile:

antitwins13
09-09-2005, 02:47 PM
I met Todd Ritchie on the subway.... Yeah ur life is better than mine:(:

ChicagoHoosier
09-09-2005, 02:50 PM
He ain't going to get any faster with that sort of diet! And at 2:30 in the am? Isn't Man Soo Lee on curfew watch?
The #2 is a healthier option than #1 or quarter pounder combo. As long as he didn't supersize it.

skobabe8
09-09-2005, 02:55 PM
The #2 is a healthier option than #1 or quarter pounder combo. As long as he didn't supersize it.

I just saw 'Supersize Me' on wednesday. Makes ya think twice the next time you go to Micky Dees. I dont think they even have the supersize option anymore.

Baby Fisk
09-09-2005, 02:56 PM
:everett:
"I finally convinced him there's no such thing as a Brontoburger."

LuvSox
09-09-2005, 03:09 PM
That's pretty cool, meeting PK @ 2:30 am in a McD's.

The #2 meal has been my hangover food for years. :smile:

There is a McDonalds over here in Indiana that is open 24 hours, they even have pizza.

skobabe8
09-09-2005, 03:16 PM
That's pretty cool, meeting PK @ 2:30 am in a McD's.

The #2 meal has been my hangover food for years. :smile:

There is a McDonalds over here in Indiana that is open 24 hours, they even have pizza.

Is that the one on rt. 41 just south of 30?

RallyBowl
09-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Did he mention how Burger King was the greatest fast food place he's ever been to?

Hahahahahahahahaahahaha! I couldn't have done it any better myself! Great minds think alike, cause that's exactly what I would have posted had I got here first.:rolling: :thumbsup:

dannycater
09-09-2005, 03:26 PM
a couple of years ago, I went to the opening Night of SoxFest at the Hyatt, and instead of going thru the main entrance, I went thru the employee entrance via underground parking....

I walked up a ramp, and came upon a group a guys who were standing around looking bored and unhappy...I thought they were hotel employees, (security guards, managers, etc.)....it turns out it was Jose Valentin, Ray Durham, Sandy Alomar Jr, then later Frank Thomas shows up....Frank looked all sweaty and irritated and was bitching about having to fight thru the crowd....

I just walked up to them and started talking to them, and they must have thought I was a Hyatt manager or a detective or something (because I'm older and people sometimes mistake me for a cop or a detective) and they were bitching about how disorganized everything was...Ray Durham looked like he was really unhappy that he had to be there....

I got the impression they all thought the SoxFest thing was kind of stupid...except for Frank. Jose Valentin didn't say too much...he just wanted to get it over with..

then they started asking me about the hotel, how to get here and how to get there and I had to bail because I didn't know my way around there at all....I would say overall, they seemed liked ok guys, and Frank seemed toally stressed out...

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Good story - would have loved to see what condition he was in at 2AM.

But, he probably was in the "Race Podsenik" portion of Fundamentals working on his speed...hence his night owl visit for comfort food.

TaylorStSox
09-09-2005, 03:31 PM
You should have asked him if it was the best cheeseburger he ever had. :redneck

TomBradley72
09-09-2005, 03:39 PM
I just saw 'Supersize Me' on wednesday. Makes ya think twice the next time you go to Micky Dees. I dont think they even have the supersize option anymore.

I've never been back to McD's after seeing that. You could leave the fries in a jar tonight...they will not have changed by the time the World Series is over and the sirens are echoing around Chicago....

The more you hear about Paulie....the more he seems a fit with Chicago. Anyone else hear that he's building a new house in Bridgeport? There is a huge new single family home going up a few blocks west of the Cell...you'd pass it walking from Schallers to the ballpark.

jshanahanjr
09-09-2005, 03:59 PM
I hear PK bought some lots in Bridgeport a couple years ago, but nothing since then.

bigdommer
09-09-2005, 04:02 PM
He ain't going to get any faster with that sort of diet! And at 2:30 in the am? Isn't Man Soo Lee on curfew watch?

Seriously, what is Paulie doing eating McD's? I thought he was a professional athlete.

skobabe8
09-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Seriously, what is Paulie doing eating McD's? I thought he was a professional athlete.

Maybe it was for his lady or something. IIRC, Tthey get a nice spread after every game.

RallyBowl
09-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Paulie building a huge house blocks from the Cell? Surely you wouldn't do that if you were possibly switching teams in a few short months, would you?

BRDSR
09-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Paulie building a huge house blocks from the Cell? Surely you wouldn't do that if you were possibly switching teams in a few short months, would you?

Most players don't have a permanent residence where they play. Maybe Paulie just spent a few years here and decided that he'd like to live here permanently regardless of where baseball takes him. When you think about it, the rest of his baseball career really isn't that much longer. I wouldn't read too much into it.

On the other hand, it can't be bad news.:wink:

LuvSox
09-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Is that the one on rt. 41 just south of 30?

The one in Lake Station on rt. 51. My bachelor party stumbled in there at one point. I think we got tossed out too, but I'm not sure. There was a lot to remember that night!

Viva Medias B's
09-10-2005, 12:15 AM
There is a McDonald's in Times Square that is open 24/7.