PDA

View Full Version : Second Guessing Ozzie?

mikehuff
09-09-2005, 08:42 AM
For the last two days there have been tons of articles in every paper about Ozzie's postgame press conference from Wednesday. He's pissed because people were "second guessing" his decision to pull Jenks in favor of Marte who then plunked the only two hitters he faced.

From what I heard, the crowd booed once Ozzie came to the mound and pulled Jenks for Marte, then booed again once Marte was being taken out.

Now how is this "second guessing?" Every Sox fan in their right mind knew that Jenks was a better option than Marte and booed even before Marte threw his first pitch. The second round of boos only occured as a "told you so" to Ozzie.

I think Ozzie is being a little overly defensive about his poor decision. He has to realize that he make a mistake and he's lucky it didn't cost the team. He's probably a little embarrased underneath all of this.

This isn't "second guessing" at all.
Just my little take on this. This is quickly becoming old news. I just don't like Ozzie being pissed at the fans for questioning an obvious poor decision.

chisoxfanatic
09-09-2005, 09:00 AM
I stayed after to watch Ozzie's post game press conference on the jumbotron, and he claimed he just was "putting his best left-hander in the game in that situation."

Blah blah blah...Neal Cotts would've been a better choice...BUT, why even pull Jenks? He's got the most longevity of all the guys in the bullpen, and he was hitting near 100 on the speed gun (and only faced a couple batters).

Ozzie was booed for a reason...

Chez
09-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Fans have the right to boo. But Ozzie didn't deserve it. He's done a tremendous job this season -- especially the way he has handled the bullpen. While I agreed with Ozzie's decision to bring in Marte at the time, the greater issue is that Ozzie deserves a ton of slack for the way the team has played this season and I don't blame him for being miffed for being booed. What's the guy supposed to do, go 162-0? Just my opinion.

rdwj
09-09-2005, 10:07 AM
People like Jenks - he's a flame throwing fat guy and that plays well in Chicago. Fans would have booed no matter who Ozzie put in because they wanted to watch Jenks hit 100 mph on the gun.

The second set of boos were for Marte, not Ozzie. You plunk 2 guys in a row and you're going to take a beating - no doubt about it.

I don't think many (if any) Sox fans were really booing Ozzie - he's still a big fan favorite.

Palehose13
09-09-2005, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=rdwj]People like Jenks - he's a flame throwing fat guy and that plays well in Chicago. QUOTE]

That there, my friend, is POTW material! :D:

UofCSoxFan
09-09-2005, 10:26 AM
I was at the game on Wednesday and was pretty disgusted by the boos. We have a team with the best record in the AL and like it or not Ozzie AND MARTE have a lot to do with that. Marte is going to have to pitch in some key situations in the playoffs and needs to be successful if we are to go anywhere. The homecrowd fans booing him before he throws a pitch is crap. I mean he has an ERA in the mid 3s. It's not great but not terrible either.

I know people have the right to boo....and I've done it when the team has been crappy (I'm a Bears fan too). But my God people, this is a great team...they can't succeed everytime out.

Like or not...we need Marte to go far in the playoffs.

mikehuff
09-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I don't know if he really deserved to be booed (in the sense that he was doing a bad job or anything.) But I'm more upset with Ozzie calling this "second guessing." This was first guessing because Jenks is better than Marte and the fans thought that Ozzie was making a mistake by making that switch. The fans were right.

Not a big deal though. This is over. Time to sic Jenks on his old team.

daveeym
09-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Marte and Ozzie both deserve to be boo'ed and I don't like Ozzie's Dusty Baker impersonation this week. 2 shots at the fans in one week? ***? Ozzie knows better then to let some boo birds get him riled up especially over Marte's broke ass right now. I guess when the team sucked it up the last three years no one shoulda cheered since they didn't earn it? Please.:rolleyes:

Even if Ozzie is trying to get Marte's confidence back.

D. TODD
09-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Not a big deal, so some fans booed his decision. Oh well, you can't please everybody all the time. Overall I think both Ozzie and the fans are happy with the way the season has gone, so no harm no foul. I would like Oz to develop a thicker skin when asked about managerial decisions after the game though.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Ozzie over-reacted, that's all. (What new?)

SoxinAZ
09-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Fans do have the right to boo and sometimes the Great OZ himself deserves it.

Banix12
09-09-2005, 12:05 PM
I was at the game on Wednesday and was pretty disgusted by the boos. We have a team with the best record in the AL and like it or not Ozzie AND MARTE have a lot to do with that. Marte is going to have to pitch in some key situations in the playoffs and needs to be successful if we are to go anywhere. The homecrowd fans booing him before he throws a pitch is crap. I mean he has an ERA in the mid 3s. It's not great but not terrible either.

I know people have the right to boo....and I've done it when the team has been crappy (I'm a Bears fan too). But my God people, this is a great team...they can't succeed everytime out.

Like or not...we need Marte to go far in the playoffs.

Marte's ERA in the mid 3's is a testament to rest of the guys in the bullpen picking him up and stranding the runners they inherit when he gets in trouble not Marte himself. If Marte were left in to clean up his own messes his ERA would likely be much higher.

So the fans Booed, big deal. Maybe it means a lot of the fans are actually paying really close attention to every detail this season and knew it was a bad call.

And yeah, Marte is going to have to pitch in key situations in the playoffs and there frankly there is nothing that scares me more than that.

103 screwball
09-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I didn't boo. I groaned. It probably sounded like a boo to Ozzie. It was more like an AAAWWEE! Nothing against Ozzie, but Marte had cost us a couple of games that I had been to before. It happens to every pitcher, but I just had a bad gut feeling about Marte that night. I also was disappointed that I would not get a chance to see Jenks face a more difficult save situation. Even if Jenks had lost the game, I would have been OK with that, then the Sox would know more about how useful Jenks would be in the playoffs. If Marte had lost the game, I would have been upset.

Ozzie's the manager and I have no problem with him doing what he feels is best for the team despite how me or the fans feel. What I do have a problem with is him getting all pissy with the fans in press conferences after the game. Ozzie, just smile and say that you can tell the fans didn't agree but it was the best move for the Sox to win and that you'd do the same thing again. Then let it go! No need to say crap like there are a lot of people that think they know baseball or it's a lot easier to manage when you are so far away from the plate. We measly 18000 fans that came out to watch the Sox play the hapless Royals should not be made to feel bad for having an opinion. Tell us how loud we cheered for Dustin while he was fighting for the save.

I really think Ozzie also had a bad gut feeling about Marte that night and was really mad at himself for playing the percentages and not listening to his gut. He would have taken Marte out after the first hit batter if the crowd hadn't booed. I'll assume that so that I can forgive his comments about me and the rest of the fans.