PDA

View Full Version : The last 3 games with Cleveland

Fenway
09-08-2005, 02:01 PM
The last 3 games at The Cell may well decide the Indians fate along with who the White Sox play in the ALDS. How should Ozzie play it given the fact that the #1 priority is setting up your playoff rotation.

Boston may well have the same situation with New York.

anewman35
09-08-2005, 02:04 PM
The last 3 games at The Cell may well decide the Indians fate along with who the White Sox play in the ALDS. How should Ozzie play it given the fact that the #1 priority is setting up your playoff rotation.

Like you said, the #1 priority is setting up your playoff rotation. Ozzie shouldn't tank the games or anything, but there's also no good reason not to rest people a bit, either.

SOXintheBURGH
09-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Right now I'm thinking about how bad I want to see Contreras pitch Game 1.

Fenway
09-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Like you said, the #1 priority is setting up your playoff rotation. Ozzie shouldn't tank the games or anything, but there's also no good reason not to rest people a bit, either.

I can just hear Steinbrenner screaming at Selig to make Chicago go all out :?:

IlliniSox
09-08-2005, 02:15 PM

Or Game 3 at Yankee Stadium. 2-1 Good Guys.

Big Stein goes on a firing spree that lasts until New Years.

anewman35
09-08-2005, 02:43 PM

I'd like to see MLB try to force Ozzie to play all starters for the last three games of the season. I'm sure his reaction would be priceless.

mikehuff
09-08-2005, 02:46 PM
I'd like to see MLB try to force Ozzie to play all starters for the last three games of the season. I'm sure his reaction would be priceless.
Jose Canseco is going to pitch one of those games.

CHISOXFAN13
09-08-2005, 02:48 PM

Unless the opponent is Anaheim who would run all over Chicago on Contreras.

maurice
09-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Unless the opponent is Anaheim who would run all over Chicago on Contreras.

Not if he's pitching well. You can't steal first.

Lip Man 1
09-08-2005, 02:49 PM
That's a very good question. Ozzie could be put in a situation where he tries to win and winds up playing say the Yankees in the Opening Round or goes a little easier and has to face Oakland.

My own opinion is that Ozzie should play it the way that he thinks will result in the 'best' matchup possible for the Sox in the ALDS.

The rest of the league be damned.

Oh by the way when Pat Riley coached the Lakers the league fined him heavily because he rested all his regulars in a late game with San Antonio. The game had playoff implications. Riley's response went along the lines of 'my guys needed the rest more then helping to determine who gets in the playoffs.'

Pat was looking out for his team first and foremost, Ozzie should do the same.

Lip

Tekijawa
09-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Not if he's pitching well. You can't steal first.
I heard you can WALK there though!

Nellie_Fox
09-08-2005, 02:57 PM
http://www.solodeportes.com.ve/fotos/beisbol/guillen_manager031103.jpg
Define "starter."

StillMissOzzie
09-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Well, if current trends hold up, the Sox will clinch on or about 9/21/05, so that gives Ozzie 8-9 days to get everyone rested who needs rested. That said, the primary importance is getting the rotation set up as he wants it for the first round of the ALDS. If that conflicts with the wishes of the Yankmees or the rest of MLB, screw 'em.

And as a side thought, those with better memories will remember the details behind the grousing done when the Sox started rookie pitcher Jack McDowell, who IIRC finished that season 3-0. Better be careful what you wish for...

SMO
:gulp:

maurice
09-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I heard you can WALK there though!

True enough but, prior to last night's game, Contreras wasn't walking anybody.
Previous 3 starts: 22 IP, 0 BB, 17 K, 0.95 WHIP.
Totals since 8/1: 48.1 IP, 13 BB, 36 K, 1.16 WHIP.

JeffIsTHEMAN
09-08-2005, 05:09 PM
True enough but, prior to last night's game, Contreras wasn't walking anybody.
Previous 3 starts: 22 IP, 0 BB, 17 K, 0.95 WHIP.
Totals since 8/1: 48.1 IP, 13 BB, 36 K, 1.16 WHIP.

and if he gets hit hard next game or the one after that?

i understand the 'go w/ the hot hand' thought but if contreras stumbles a lil goin down to the wire yet is still pitchin a lil better then buehrle and buehrle is still pitchin good i want buehrle...reward ur workhorse, the one who will least bow down to pressure

SOX ADDICT '73
09-08-2005, 05:23 PM

i understand the 'go w/ the hot hand' thought but if contreras stumbles a lil goin down to the wire yet is still pitchin a lil better then buehrle and buehrle is still pitchin good i want buehrle...reward ur workhorse, the one who will least bow down to pressure
Umm....what?

We're supposed to assume that the Contreras we've seen since the All-Star Break, the only pitcher who seemed capable of shutting down the opposition during the month of August, is going to disappear just as quickly as he arrived?

Weren't you paying attention earlier this year when Jose had the lowest batting average against in all of baseball? Have you ignored the fact that, but for a few bullpen implosions and weak offensive outputs, Contreras could easily have 4-5 more wins?

I'm not saying you start him ahead of Buehrle, but neither will I have you dissing a guy that's been working his butt off and getting little to no help. Contreras is as big a reason for the Sox success as just about anyone else.

JeffIsTHEMAN
09-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Umm....what?

We're supposed to assume that the Contreras we've seen since the All-Star Break, the only pitcher who seemed capable of shutting down the opposition during the month of August, is going to disappear just as quickly as he arrived?

Weren't you paying attention earlier this year when Jose had the lowest batting average against in all of baseball? Have you ignored the fact that, but for a few bullpen implosions and weak offensive outputs, Contreras could easily have 4-5 more wins?

I'm not saying you start him ahead of Buehrle, but neither will I have you dissing a guy that's been working his butt off and getting little to no help. Contreras is as big a reason for the Sox success as just about anyone else.

show me where i dissed him

maurice
09-08-2005, 05:40 PM
:?:
As I already indicated, I want BOTH Buehrle AND Contreras in the playoff rotation.

JeffIsTHEMAN
09-08-2005, 05:46 PM
As I already indicated, I want BOTH Buehrle AND Contreras in the playoff rotation.

me 2 but on opposite ends of the rotation

SOX ADDICT '73
09-08-2005, 06:00 PM
show me where i dissed him
Okay, so maybe it wasn't a full-on "diss", but when you post things like:
It's as if you're assuming that the Jose of late has been a "mirage" (to borrow a term the mediots like to use in describing the White Sox this year). It's been said all along that Contreras has the best stuff of all our starters - isn't it just as easy to assume that he's finally figured something out, or bought into the system, or just learned to trust AJ? My confidence in Jose has grown by leaps and bounds since the ASB.
My "Umm....what?" comment was mainly a reference to this nonsensical, punctuation-less, grammar-less jumble of non-capitalized words, but I also disagree with what I think your point was. I love Buehrle as much as anybody, but if he pitches like crap down the stretch, "workhorse" or not, I don't think you just hand him the ball for game 1. Especially if it's against Oakland - those guys are just in his head.

SoxFanSince67
09-08-2005, 06:04 PM
When facing the Indians those final thre games, the matter of home field advantage may yet to be undetermined.

Nellie_Fox
09-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Dear JeffisTHEMAN:

You are not text messaging, using your thumbs to manipulate a tiny telephone keyboard. You have a complete computer keyboard in front of you. Please try to communicate in a meaningful manner. Capitalize when appropriate. Don't drop the ending "g." The words are "little" and "your," not "lil" and "ur".

I'm sure you will now lash out at me and tell me that this is just an internet message board, not an English class, or something similar. I'm just telling you that your posts are hard to read, and therefore you are not communicating.

chisoxfanatic
09-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Jose Canseco is going to pitch one of those games.

:tealpolice:

fquaye149
09-09-2005, 10:19 AM
sloughing off is stupid.

Pretend Ozzie tanks the last three games to get the Jndjans in. Then they beat us in the ALCS (not outside the realm of possibility).

We need to go out there and try to win every single game. There is no team I'm afraid of in the playoffs (apologies to the dark clouds), and it's not like it's going to come down to the A's, realistically. It'll probably be Yankees or Indians and honestly, I don't care whom we face. Hell, bring on the A's for goodness sake! I want redemption!

DumpJerry
09-09-2005, 10:27 AM

We have 7 games after the last 3 at home. Are you referring to the last three games of the season? They are in Cleveland.

Fenway
09-09-2005, 10:35 AM
We have 7 games after the last 3 at home. Are you referring to the last three games of the season? They are in Cleveland.

thats what I get for reading the NY POSt :?: yes indeed they are at The Jake but same situation

RallyBowl
09-09-2005, 06:36 PM
http://www.solodeportes.com.ve/fotos/beisbol/guillen_manager031103.jpg
Define "starter."

Awesome pic. Mind if I use it for my sig?

JohnBasedowYoda
09-09-2005, 07:09 PM

it was a pleasure meeting you last night

MarySwiss
09-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Dear JeffisTHEMAN:

You are not text messaging, using your thumbs to manipulate a tiny telephone keyboard. You have a complete computer keyboard in front of you. Please try to communicate in a meaningful manner. Capitalize when appropriate. Don't drop the ending "g." The words are "little" and "your," not "lil" and "ur".

I'm sure you will now lash out at me and tell me that this is just an internet message board, not an English class, or something similar. I'm just telling you that your posts are hard to read, and therefore you are not communicating.

Nellie:
"Although it's been said many times, many ways," this guy is obviously just NOT getting it.

samram
09-09-2005, 07:35 PM

And I can see Ozzie not giving a damn.

MarySwiss
09-09-2005, 07:36 PM
"The last three games with Cleveland" will be irrelevant. :cool:

JohnBasedowYoda
09-09-2005, 07:48 PM

right on swiss

chitownhawkfan
09-10-2005, 03:57 AM

How about you reward your fellow reader by using a little punctuation or grammar? It will save everybody on this board the inevitable headache from reading this written filth you seem to keep vomiting up.

Fenway
09-10-2005, 07:35 PM

Hmmmmm Ozzie may has to ponder if how those games may decide if Chicago plays NYY or Anaheim. Suddenly I am not sure the WS want to see the Angels in the ALDS

A White Sox fan should be rooting for the Twins tonight

soxwon
09-10-2005, 08:17 PM
after minn clev plays oakland in clev.

we play kc- time to gain games.

samram
09-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Hmmmmm Ozzie may has to ponder if how those games may decide if Chicago plays NYY or Anaheim. Suddenly I am not sure the WS want to see the Angels in the ALDS

The Sox lost to the Royals on Thursday night- I guess they wouldn't want them in the playoffs either. :D:

I've said all year the Angels are the one team I think is as good as the Sox are. These last two games, while not the basis for that opinion, has not changed it. They're a good team with a shut-down bullpen, and they can run on a guy like AJ, which the other playoff contenders really can't do. However, I wouldn't say the Sox don't want to face them any more than any other team.

As a baseball fan, I would love to see the Sox and Angels in the ALCS. Those would be great games.

Ol' No. 2
09-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Nellie:
"Although it's been said many times, many ways," this guy is obviously just NOT getting it.Hey, cut him some slack. That was a big IMPROVEMENT from his earlier posts.:cool:

Ol' No. 2
09-10-2005, 11:09 PM
The Sox lost to the Royals on Thursday night- I guess they wouldn't want them in the playoffs either. :D:

I've said all year the Angels are the one team I think is as good as the Sox are. These last two games, while not the basis for that opinion, has not changed it. They're a good team with a shut-down bullpen, and they can run on a guy like AJ, which the other playoff contenders really can't do. However, I wouldn't say the Sox don't want to face them any more than any other team.

As a baseball fan, I would love to see the Sox and Angels in the ALCS. Those would be great games.Look at the numbers. The Angels are the Sox' alter ego. Their pitching is just a hair below the Sox. They're the only other potential playoff team with top-notch pitching other than the Indians (won't make it, so sorry). Yankees and Red Sox are both in the bottom half of the league. And they're just a hair behind the Sox in offense.

mdep524
09-10-2005, 11:10 PM

:?: What a load of crap. No offense fenway, but the Sox aren't going to play the last series in Cleveland any differently. The division will be locked up. Ozzie will be using a mix of starters and bench players. And two unimportant losses to the Angels in what is no more than mop up time for the Sox is not going to get Sox players and coaches running for the hills.

The team is not going to get all worked up for different opponents. It's the opponents who should fear playing the top-seeded White Sox in the 1st round with 3/5 games at the Cell.

Sounds to me more like you're afraid your little Red Sox may have to face a surging Indians team in the first round.

samram
09-11-2005, 02:49 AM
Look at the numbers. The Angels are the Sox' alter ego. Their pitching is just a hair below the Sox. They're the only other potential playoff team with top-notch pitching other than the Indians (won't make it, so sorry). Yankees and Red Sox are both in the bottom half of the league. And they're just a hair behind the Sox in offense.

Yep. That's why, if the Sox fall short and with the Dodgers gone the way of poorly applied Moneyball tactics, I hope LAA wins it all.

And you're right about Cleveland. They've been unbelievable for about six weeks. They're due for a real bad streak that will either eliminate them entirely from the playoffs or during the first round.

Fenway
09-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Sounds to me more like you're afraid your little Red Sox may have to face a surging Indians team in the first round.

there is that :rolleyes:

cheeses_h_rice
09-12-2005, 02:59 PM
These should be easy wins for the Sox. The Indians will be resting their regulars after having wrapped up the division crown already.

Teal?

or just a :dtroll:?

MarySwiss
09-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Teal?

or just a :dtroll:?

Take a look at his signature, cheeses. Says it all.

cheeses_h_rice
09-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Take a look at his signature, cheeses. Says it all.

5 posts, nearly all of them negative/slamming the Sox.

Sounds like a true fan to me.

:rolleyes: