PDA

View Full Version : Is Marte a basket case??

SoxinAZ
09-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Does Marte know how to control his pitches. The guy has pitched in 42 innings and given up 40 hits and 30 walks. Thats alot of baserunners.

Polite=58 innings 33 hits and 18 walks

Cotts=53 innings 30 hits and 23 walks

Buehrle's pitched 203 innings and only given up 32 walks.
Garland pitched 186 innings and has only 37 walks.

I understand he has 49 K's, but the guy is scary!!:dtroll:

downstairs
09-08-2005, 01:35 PM
No, he's just not a great pitcher. That's why he's not a starter or closer.

:cool:

Jerko
09-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Marte may not be a basket case, but he's making me one.

chisox83
09-08-2005, 01:37 PM
quick answer, yes. there is no in between with marte. he's either dominating or pathetic and i don't even think he knows which trait will appear when he's on the mound. i just know i'm uncomfortable seeing him in close games which is a big change from past seasons.

personally, i've given up thinking the marte of a few years ago will return.

JB98
09-08-2005, 01:39 PM

Make it two. When Ozzie went to the mound to remove Jenks, I was screaming at the TV, "No, Ozzie! Leave him in!" Unfortunately, my pleas fell on deaf ears. :D:

ShoelessJoeS
09-08-2005, 01:39 PM
LOL, my thoughts exactly. I guess the Marte of 2003 and before is never returning.

Banix12
09-08-2005, 01:42 PM
He's been like this basically since last season. Don't know what the problem is but I would trade him in the offseason while he still has some value.

He has a couple weeks now to get his stuff together. After last night I think Ozzie might have him on the bubble for the playoff roster. I know he hasn't been particularly fond of Marte this season, especially after Marte didn't tell him he was injured earlier this season while he kept on pitching.

hitters get on base against him at a .370 clip, kinda scary.

SoxFan76
09-08-2005, 01:47 PM
He went from a nobody to the most dominating lefty setup man in baseball to a headcase. He was so automatic in 2003.

eriqjaffe
09-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Marte scares me on the mound more than anybody else on the Sox. And I'd include most of the position players in that.

White Sox Randy
09-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Yes

SoxSideIrish
09-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Yes

Agreed.

Hangar18
09-08-2005, 03:28 PM
quick answer, yes. there is no in between with marte. he's either dominating or pathetic and i don't even .

In short .........YES. however, he has too much talent to just give away.
Ozz just needs to realize WHEN to bring him in, and when NOT to use him.
One run may not have been the best spot ........

jshanahanjr
09-08-2005, 03:35 PM
I think Ozzie brought in Marte to see if he could trust him in the playoffs, and he can't. I'm not sure if he will be on the roster, but he and Cotts should flip roles for certain.

mikehuff
09-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Last night's performance was enough for me to see.
I'd be through with him if it was my choice. He should be designated to a Vizcaino type role.

Over By There
09-08-2005, 03:39 PM
It seems like Damaso could have such dominating stuff. I am baffled by all the times he has been brought in to face a lefty in an important situation and promptly walks the guy. It's driving me nuts. Is it a confidence issue? He's not trusting his stuff?

A_ROW33
09-08-2005, 03:45 PM
I'll tell you what though, he really shows you what Hermanson, pollitte and the rest of the bullpen is made out of since they usually are able to pick up his mess.

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Damaso was on Steriods two years ago.

miker
09-08-2005, 03:49 PM
But its not like he has stunk all season. He's had really good outings and some really bad outings. Unfortunately, being a short reliever, your bad outings often affect the outcome of the game and therefore are much more no ticable.

Maybe Marte will rediscover his earlier success like Uribe has recently at the plate.

bigdommer
09-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Marte coming in and facing tough lefty in the playoffs with first base open (ie David Ortiz, Giambi, Hafner, Garrett Anderson)=good

Marte coming in for any other situation=bad

Banix12
09-08-2005, 04:23 PM
But its not like he has stunk all season. He's had really good outings and some really bad outings. Unfortunately, being a short reliever, your bad outings often affect the outcome of the game and therefore are much more no ticable.

Maybe Marte will rediscover his earlier success like Uribe has recently at the plate.

I can only remember one or two stretches this season where he looked like the dominant Marte of old. The rest of the time he has really been erratic.

This has been a problem of his all season and it's not just about one or two bad outings. Even in his good outings he hasn't looked particularly sharp.

Just do a search on this board on Marte for the last six months. I think you'll see that Marte has been an issue around here all season.

Maybe he figures it out, he has a month to do so and I'm sure he'll get every opprotunity to figure it out.

veeter
09-08-2005, 04:26 PM
I still like Marte. He can be VERY dominating and has been this year, at times. I think he's in Ozzie's dog house already and that is affecting his pitching. He drives you crazy because he can succeed in the toughest of situations. Then he can pitch like last night. I still have faith in him.

ChiSoxRowand
09-08-2005, 04:34 PM
In short .........YES. however, he has too much talent to just give away.
Ozz just needs to realize WHEN to bring him in, and when NOT to use him.
One run may not have been the best spot ........

Exactly. I'm sick of having Marte come in for the first couple of batters in the ninth and Hermanson having to clean up his mess. Lefties are only hitting .106 against Jenks (or something like that). If he's gonna use a lefty in the ninth use Cotts.

wdelaney72
09-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Marte coming in and facing tough lefty in the playoffs with first base open (ie David Ortiz, Giambi, Hafner, Garrett Anderson)=good

Marte coming in for any other situation=bad

This is fine is long as you don't mind giving up a walk. Yes, on Monday he got David Ortiz out. Based on his performance this year, it was lucky. Next time around, I'd bet my money on David Ortiz.

Banix12
09-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Exactly. I'm sick of having Marte come in for the first couple of batters in the ninth and Hermanson having to clean up his mess. Lefties are only hitting .106 against Jenks (or something like that). If he's gonna use a lefty in the ninth use Cotts.

Agreed. It's a pattern I'm getting sick of. If it's a close game just go to the closer and don't worry about lefty-righty matchups. This season it doesn't even matter anyway since Lefties are hitting him better than righties.

ode to veeck
09-08-2005, 04:53 PM
I think Ozzie's a not bad judge of talent and keeps trying to stick Marte into closer games to try to get him back to the potential he's exhibited in the past and build some better self-confidence. Marte threw a very good curve ball last night, unfortunately, he sandwiched it between two curves that plunked a couple of batters in a one run game, and the situatuation totally backfired on Ozzie, as he more or less admited in the postgame

Fake Chet Lemon
09-08-2005, 05:20 PM
There is such a lack of decent left handed relievers I don't think trading Marte would be wise. He can improve next year. I just wish Ozzie would quit using him in the 9th, he seems to do much better in the 7th and 8th. He appears to have some LaTroy Hawkins in him. Recognize that and put him in the best position to succeed, that's your job Ozzie. Bringing Marte in over Hermy (if available) in the 9th is just stupid.

CanBuehrleWait
09-08-2005, 07:08 PM
When are the kid gloves coming off? I haven't heard anything bad about his back and as of late he has returned to being nails. I mean hes done everything asked of him his last few outings and yet Ozzie doesn't use him the entire 9th. Whats 3-7 more pitches in a at-bat?

Banix12
09-08-2005, 07:22 PM
There is such a lack of decent left handed relievers I don't think trading Marte would be wise. He can improve next year.

We all said that last year and he has clearly struggled more this year than he did last year. I have no problem with them trading him if they decide that is something they would like to do. There are better lefties available and Neal makes him expendable, especially at the price they are paying for Damaso.

The fact that Shingo has a lower WHIP than Marte is just frightening. A few other names with lower WHIP's, Darrell May, Mike Remlinger, Matt Ginter, Scott Schoenweis, etc. etc.

That doesn't mean a ton since he's still largely pitched better than those guys but he is still letting way too many guys on base.

CallMeNuts
09-08-2005, 10:13 PM
IIRC, Damaso spent 15 days on the DL with a shoulder.

Is Damaso playing hurt?

Will we hear about post-season surgery in November?

Is it his shoulder or his head?

buehrle4cy05
09-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Damaso is a great pitcher before the 9th inning. He has repeatedly gone in and got the outs he needed to. However, he is not a closer. And Ozzie should stop using him as one. Use Jenks as the closer when Dustin isn't feeling well enough.

Banix12
09-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Is there actually a site that gives you stats for pitchers sorted by inning? I would be interested to see how much better he is before the ninth than in the ninth.