PDA

View Full Version : 8-Game Winning Streaks

BRDSR
09-08-2005, 11:11 AM
If the White Sox beat the Royals tonight it will mark their 4th 8-game winning streak of the season. This seems like a lot to me. Does anyone know how that compares to teams of the past. What is the record for most 8-game winning streaks in a season? How did that team fare in the post-season(assuming they made it, which I'm sure they did)?

Sxy Mofo
09-08-2005, 11:21 AM
According to phil rogers of the tribune, if you take away the three 8 game winning streaks and the one 7 game winning streak, and make those all losses, the sox are staring being way under .500, which makes them a bad team.

Garland_IS_God
09-08-2005, 11:44 AM
According to phil rogers of the tribune, if you take away the three 8 game winning streaks and the one 7 game winning streak, and make those all losses, the sox are staring being way under .500, which makes them a bad team.

He must be a genius to have figured that out. :smile:

bobowhite
09-08-2005, 11:53 AM
The White Sox now have the best record in baseball at 87-51 (.630)

The Cardinals are 88-52 (.629) thanks to the C*%s and Greg Maddux beating them last night.

Although Softbank is 79-40-2 (.664) leading the Japanese Pacific League.

SoxinAZ
09-08-2005, 12:09 PM
If the White Sox beat the Royals tonight it will mark their 4th 8-game winning streak of the season. This seems like a lot to me. Does anyone know how that compares to teams of the past. What is the record for most 8-game winning streaks in a season? How did that team fare in the post-season(assuming they made it, which I'm sure they did)?

Here you go, count them yourself.

http://baseball-almanac.com/teams/wsox.shtml

daveeym
09-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Yeah but they struggle to get past that 8th win. What kinda team is that?:rolleyes:

doublem23
09-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah but they struggle to get past that 8th win. What kinda team is that?:rolleyes:

No killer instinct.

Tekijawa
09-08-2005, 01:22 PM

That's true! We'll need 11 Wins in a row to sweep the playoffs... and since we haven't been able to do that this season there is a good chance that all the other teams are in a much better position that us!

PennStater98r
09-08-2005, 02:36 PM
He must be a genius to have figured that out. :smile:

:tealpolice:

Always wanted to do that. :rolleyes:

RallyBowl
09-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Wasn't three the record?

TheOldRoman
09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
No killer instinct.
Oh god, I had almost forgotten all the "killer instinct" dark cloud garbage that rolled around this board the third game of every series for the first month of the season.

TLAK
09-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Here you go, count them yourself.

http://baseball-almanac.com/teams/wsox.shtml

At 3, this year's team tied the 1917 squad for most 8 game streaks in a season. That 1917 group also had one 9 game win streak. No other Sox team has had 3 streaks of 8 or more.

ode to veeck
09-08-2005, 03:56 PM

Phil, I have to admit, if you said this, you've really gone over to the dark side ...

:darkcloud:

Of course, I could be taking it totally out of context but I'm not going to bother tracking it down. LET'S GO SOX! Get those brooms out!!

TDog
09-09-2005, 01:13 PM

In other words, is the Sox lost a bunch of games that they won, they would have a losing record. Consider too that if Sox won Thursday, they would have another eight-game losing streak that could be counted as string of losses in a what-if world. Meanwhile, if the Sox had won all the games they lost in August, and lost all the games they won, they would have an even better record than they do, which is better than any other AL team. If Kerry Wood pitched as well in real games this year as he did in simulated games, He might have more wins than Jose Vizcaino. The implications to this "if" thing stagger the imagination.

And if "sports journalists" had to work for a living, we would have less to post about.