PDA

View Full Version : My proposal for a rule change

Banix12
09-08-2005, 01:33 AM
We've all seen this year how pathetic the NL West is and we all know the likelyhood that there could be a team in the playoffs with a below .500 record.

I may not be the first one to suggest this but I think it would be a good idea to make a rule that states.

"In the event that the winner of a division does not have a record above .500 a second wild card will be awarded to the team in the league with the highest winning percentage that is not currently progressing to postseason play."

I just hate the idea that a team like the Padres is probably going to get a shot at the world series while far more deserving teams get the shaft.

MUsoxfan
09-08-2005, 01:38 AM
I just hate the idea that a team like the Padres is probably going to get a shot at the world series while far more deserving teams get the shaft.

Do you honestly think the Padres have a shot at the World Series?:?: They will get burned just like the Mets, Phillies and Nats would get burned in the playoffs

Banix12
09-08-2005, 01:51 AM
Do you honestly think the Padres have a shot at the World Series?:?: They will get burned just like the Mets, Phillies and Nats would get burned in the playoffs

When I say "shot at the world series" I mean in the sense that they would be alive to see postseason play giving them an opprotunity, albeit a slight one, to advance to the series. You have to be in it to win it, and I propose they not be in it at all with a sub-500 record.

Do I actually think that they can make it to the series? No, way too many problems.

MUsoxfan
09-08-2005, 01:53 AM
I think it's totally fair that a team that wins their division has a shot at the World Series. Some would say that the Padres are in the toughest division because they continue to beat up on each other. I would NOT say that, but that's an argument you would hear

doublem23
09-08-2005, 02:10 AM

If they make the play-offs they do. What, really, is stopping them from going on a roll like they did way back in May?

Of course, I'm hoping for the Sox to win it all, but if not, I'm cheering for sub-.500 San Diego to take it down, so everyone can see what a hock of **** the baseball play-off system is.

Then again, would you mind facing the Padres in the World Series? :cool:

Banix12
09-08-2005, 02:12 AM
I think it's totally fair that a team that wins their division has a shot at the World Series. Some would say that the Padres are in the toughest division because they continue to beat up on each other. I would NOT say that, but that's an argument you would hear

yeah I wouldn't make that argument either. Especially when you look across the standings to the NL East and see five teams beating up on each other yet still staying above .500.

I think it's a safe argument that if every team in a division has a record below .500 they are all bad teams. With the unbalanced schedule that means that the vast majority of their games are against bad teams with below .500 records. If no team can come out of that situation with a record of at least 82-80 they shouldn't be going anywhere but home after the season.

Yes it would be unfair for a team to not make the playoffs despite winning the division but I think it is bad for baseball to put a team in the playoffs with a losing record. There shoudn't be a reward for mediocrity.

bobowhite
09-08-2005, 08:34 AM
I'd actually rather see two wildcards from each league awarded and then have to play a one-game playoff to see which one plays as the wildcard. It forces them to burn a good starter and gives the division winners an advantage.

voodoochile
09-08-2005, 09:05 AM
I think in other sports, they should set it up so no teams at or below .500 would be in the playoffs, but every team over .500 would be. It wouldn't be that hard, just have to set up the brackets for various odd and even number combinations and then go with it once it happens.

Baseball is different, less teams is better. It's why we play so many games.

I don't think you can do that and maintain a fan base and this really is a fluke of a season based on the fact that it has NEVER happened before. So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just because one division is having an off year...

WinningUgly!
09-08-2005, 10:05 AM
I think in other sports, they should set it up so no teams at or below .500 would be in the playoffs, but every team over .500 would be. It wouldn't be that hard, just have to set up the brackets for various odd and even number combinations and then go with it once it happens.

Baseball is different, less teams is better. It's why we play so many games.

I don't think you can do that and maintain a fan base and this really is a fluke of a season based on the fact that it has NEVER happened before. So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just because one division is having an off year...

It would have also happened in 1994, with the Texas Rangers. They were 52-62...good enough for 1st place in the AL West, when the strike ended the season.

Ol' No. 2
09-08-2005, 10:26 AM
It would have also happened in 1994, with the Texas Rangers. They were 52-62...good enough for 1st place in the AL West, when the strike ended the season.I'm not willing to mess with the format for a once every 10 years occurrence. You win your division - you're in. Otherwise, you might as well forget division winners and just pick the four best records.

mrfourni
09-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Does anyone know if in the NL, if Houston doesn't win the wild card, would the Cardinals automaticaly play the Wild Card team from the east? or would they play the Padres because they have the worst record?

Ol' No. 2
09-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know if in the NL, if Houston doesn't win the wild card, would the Cardinals automaticaly play the Wild Card team from the east? or would they play the Padres because they have the worst record?Always best record vs. WC, unless the WC is from the same division.

Brian26
09-08-2005, 12:07 PM

It's an argument you may hear, but it doesn't tell the entire story. Every team in the NL East is over .500, but they play each other the same amount as the NL West. Bottom line, NL East and NL Central have beaten up on NL West this year.