PDA

View Full Version : 2 'starters,' one game

scottyl
09-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Conceding that -- as Ozzie has noted -- McCarthy pitching well in 2 games doesn't really mean anything, still what do you think of the following idea:

Since Hernandez has been tiring around the 5 or 6 inning mark, what about just planning on having McCarthy pitch the back half of those games? Would rest the bullpen, keep the kid in the rotation so to speak, and if he doesn't have good outings you just go to the pen as normal. Another plus is that you keep McCarthy on a regular schedule.

I'll admit this is an odd idea, but wondered if it was odd enough to be interesting.

Banix12
09-07-2005, 11:17 PM
As good an Idea as any I have heard. And I'd like to see McCarthy get as much time as possible out of the bullpen as possible now that it really looks like that is how they are going to use him.

I want to see how long he can stretch this scoreless inning streak.

Optipessimism
09-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Conceding that -- as Ozzie has noted -- McCarthy pitching well in 2 games doesn't really mean anything, still what do you think of the following idea:

Since Hernandez has been tiring around the 5 or 6 inning mark, what about just planning on having McCarthy pitch the back half of those games? Would rest the bullpen, keep the kid in the rotation so to speak, and if he doesn't have good outings you just go to the pen as normal. Another plus is that you keep McCarthy on a regular schedule.

I'll admit this is an odd idea, but wondered if it was odd enough to be interesting.

I dunno, I'd rather just see McCarthy take Duque's starts all together and let him rest up, but I seriously doubt that happens. I think that Ozzie is going to stay with Duque in a five man rotation up until his last two starts, maybe his last start, and skip Duque for McCarthy. Until then I think Brandon throws on the side. I'd hate to see them try and convert Brandon into a reliever for the rest of the season and perhaps the playoffs after he's had so much success in the rotation recently at the bigs and in Charlotte.

ShoelessJoeS
09-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Regardless of why we brought El Duque here, he does not deserve to start a playoff game. JC has been pitching phenomenally for the last month or so and has shown he can pitch with the best of 'em in our rotation. As for BMac, he's had some good outings lately against the most high powered offenses in the league, but I don't believe he has earned a spot over Contreras. As for long relief, if worse comes to worse, throw in BMac and I wouldn't be upset.

ode to veeck
09-08-2005, 01:31 AM
who are JC and BMAC!??!

Walrus Sox
09-08-2005, 01:33 AM
who are JC and BMAC!??!

I didn't know Jesus Christ and Bernie Mac were on our team. So we're blessed AND funny.

MisterB
09-08-2005, 01:40 AM
Hey, Walrus Sox, where'd you get that picture of Ron Karkovice for your sig? :D:

MUsoxfan
09-08-2005, 01:45 AM
My friends have come up with this idea.....which I don't necessarily agree with: Have a "starter game" in the playoffs. Have El Duque go for 3 IP, Contreras go for 3 IP and then have McCarthy come in to finish it.

Walrus Sox
09-08-2005, 01:47 AM
Hey, Walrus Sox, where'd you get that picture of Ron Karkovice for your sig? :D:

haha

Chez
09-08-2005, 07:10 AM
My friends have come up with this idea.....which I don't necessarily agree with: Have a "starter game" in the playoffs. Have El Duque go for 3 IP, Contreras go for 3 IP and then have McCarthy come in to finish it.

No. One of the strengths of the team has been it's bullpen. I'll take my chances with mixing and matching Cotts, Jenks, Politte, Viz, Marte (yes, Marte) and Hermie finishing out the last three innings of a playoff game over McCarthy. We'll also have either Duque or Contreras in the pen during the playoffs. McCarthy has had two GREAT starts -- but won't (and shouldn't) be on the playoff roster.

mikehuff
09-08-2005, 08:41 AM
I thought of this same idea for the playoffs, but that was just when they were trying to decide over Hernandez or Contreras for the 4th pitcher. I thought that you pick one of those guys to start and have the other one immediately ready to take over in case something blows up on them in the first or second inning. Now you could throw McCarthy into that mix as well.