PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Jose Rules Post-Game Thread

friarhky22
09-07-2005, 09:29 PM
7 2/3 shutout innings- he clearly didnt have his best stuff tonight, but he battled through it. I think he's in the playoff rotation right now, no questions asked. And if he is, would it make sense to put El Duque into the bullpen for the last month? This could provide 2 benefits- El Duque would hopefully become situated in the bullpen, which will be his playoff role. Also, McCarthy could then get his starts, which I think could be very helpful for him going forward. Thoughts?

munchman33
09-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a plan to me.

Gavin
09-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Got lucky. Could've easily gave up more than a few.

Chisox003
09-07-2005, 09:37 PM

Lucky ...... Riiiiiiight

I'm sure it has a little something to do with him pitching well, but that's just me

(Note: I didnt even watch the game, but I have a hunch) :rolleyes:

NSSoxFan
09-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Oh yea!

peeonwrigley
09-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Good stuff.

What the hell was Ozzie thinking w/ Marte!?!?

Nice job by Dustin to get Sweeney, that was nice to see.

CaptainBallz
09-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Didn't think it would come to that, but oh well!!!!

Go Sox!!!:gulp:

delben91
09-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Wow. The Sox just win them every which way don't they?

Nice job Jose, that was pitching right there. Not on top of his game, and still shut them down.

Just enough offense, but let's get more than one run tomorrow boys, huh? :cool:

And Damaso...figure it out fast buddy.

GO SOX!

Mohoney
He's really gunning for a playoff start.

And to think that King George is paying $3 million for this!

voodoochile

:darkcloud:

cheeses_h_rice
What, did Jose C. take a wee-wee in Damaso's Cheerios or something?

:rolleyes:

Good game by Contreras again, just perfect enough to overcome a serious lack of offense tonight.

'Nuf said about the managerial decisions and relief pitching in the 9th...

JB98
Just let Jenks pitch, or let Hermanson start the ninth. For God's sake. :angry:

Contreras battled tonight. He didn't break when the going got tough. Nice job, Jose. Jenks did his job, and Hermanson cleans up another Marte mess.

Konerko sucks. None of his home runs ever matter.

FielderJones
Yesterday, Marte was annoying. Today he was beyond annoying. I hope this outing gets him into Ozzie's doghouse.

On the bright side ...

:winner

:gulp:

BeviBall!
09-07-2005, 09:47 PM
What a weird game. Definitely the best pitched game in Chicago by a "Wood" all season.

JC was awesome and the defense, which needed to be solid, was.

Jenks hitting 100 and 101 but needs to be pulled with Stairs coming up. Oz, lefties are hitting .105 against Bobby.

Iwritecode
I couldn't see the game because I don't get CSN+ but I turned on gameday just in time to see Marte plunk two guys.

I turned it off right away and went to play penguin baseball until I saw the official post-game thread... :cool:

mikehuff
I apologize for that one. I switched TVs in the 9th and I almost blew the game. I went back in the living room for the last couple pitches to Sweeney to save the game.

slobes
Who do you leave out of the rotation in playoffs now?
However, this is a good problem to have, as opposed to recent years when the sox have only 1 or 2 quality starters.

voodoochile

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

Hey toons... Nanner... nanner... nanner...

tebman
09-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Argh! Marte makes me crazy! Argh!

Whew...I'm better now. Thanks, Dusty!

Great job by JC! Great win! They're all great!:bandance:

MRKARNO
:angry::angry:To Marte

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:To everyone else!

RallyBowl
:kmarte "I guess I'm just not very good."

:ozzie
"All you complainers out there- I make the *&$#%&* pitching changes."

slobes
09-07-2005, 09:49 PM
I honestly start to tremble in fear whenever Marte steps on the mound.

Good job by Dustin to clean up his mess.

Gavin
Seriously it wasn't like Jose shut them down, they just didn't score on him. He did well, but it's not like he convinced me to buy some property in Arkansas.

mr_genius
:darkcloud:

haha, how bout it

i guess 7 in a row isn't enough, they all have to be no hitters too

Gavin
09-07-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm not a dark cloud. If we got 6 hits and no runs, we'd feel un-lucky.

chisoxmike
:hawk
"And Dustin comes on to clean up Marte's mess."

I'm very happy to see Dustin come out back to back nights and shut the door, and especially tonight cleaning up Marte's mess.
Jose continues to impress me the past month.

markopat
Any way we can!

YEAH!

mikehuff
Good job by Dustin to clean up his mess.
A common theme in 2005.

TornLabrum
Tonight the crowd at the ballpark had a better idea of what to do than Ozzie did. They booed (as it turned out with good reason) when Ozzie pulled Jenks. Marte drives me up the wall!

mdep524
09-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Lucky ...... Riiiiiiight

I'm sure it has a little something to do with him pitching well, but that's just me

(Note: I didnt even watch the game, but I have a hunch) :rolleyes: Well, to be fair part of it was the fact that he was facing the Royals. 5 walks, 6 hits, against a team like Boston he probably wouldn't have faired as well. BUT.... you have to give Jose a lot of credit for fighting without his best stuff. Last year, or earlier this year, this is a game he gets lit up.

Tonight he stepped it up. Season ERA is now 3.88, very, very impressive. He is really winning me over lately.

Domeshot17
PAULIE :bandance: 1 home run

HERM :bandance: 1 huge save

JOSE :supernana:
(7 2/3 of happy bannanas)

Ozzie :rolleyes:

Baby AJP :happybday

WSI :gulp: See you Tommrow

Iwritecode
I apologize for that one. I switched TVs in the 9th and I almost blew the game. I went back in the living room for the last couple pitches to Sweeney to save the game.

Well it was either you or me...

Chisox003
09-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Paul Konerko :gulp:

Jose Contreras :gulp:

Magic Number: 15 :gulp:

S05X

voodoochile
I'm not a dark cloud. If we got 6 hits and no runs, we'd feel un-lucky.

Um 6 hits over 9 innings is a damned solid pitching performance, period.

I_Liked_Manuel
7 2/3 shutout innings- he clearly didnt have his best stuff tonight, but he battled through it. I think he's in the playoff rotation right now, no questions asked. And if he is, would it make sense to put El Duque into the bullpen for the last month? This could provide 2 benefits- El Duque would hopefully become situated in the bullpen, which will be his playoff role. Also, McCarthy could then get his starts, which I think could be very helpful for him going forward. Thoughts?

i get the feeling that el duque wouldn't take well to the pen. the guy's a competitor, he turns it up when it matters, and i don't think being demoted would help his mindset.

Chips
09-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Jose Contreras..............YES.

Kogs35
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: good job jose and hermy and paulie.

Taliesinrk
Tonight the crowd at the ballpark had a better idea of what to do than Ozzie did. They booed (as it turned out with good reason) when Ozzie pulled Jenks. Marte drives me up the wall!

perhaps ozzie was runnin marte back out there to get him some confidence against KC in sept instead of Bos in Oct. i think ozzie did the right thing tonight.. i would venture a guess that ozzie had more faith in jenks tonight.. but realized it wasn't necessarily just about tonight..

DickAllen72
09-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Contreras rules, indeed.

Do we even have a closer? A closer should be used to pitch the entire ninth inning. If Dustin was healthy enough to pitch tonight, why didn't he start the ninth? If Ozzie doesn't have confidence in Hermanson's back, then he should be a set up man and let Jenks be the closer.

Marte may have pitched himself off the playoff roster tonight. It's silly to carry eleven pitchers on the playoff roster because one of the starters goes to the bullpen anyway. Why play with one less bench player to make room for an extra pitcher who sucks.

Realist
09-07-2005, 09:54 PM
That ugly 7 game losing streak is now hereby erased. :bandance:

KyWhiSoxFan
09-07-2005, 09:55 PM
I hate Marte. It's a never-ending series of runners he puts on base. He's afraid of batters putting a bat on the ball. I can't figure out how he gets preference over Cotts as late-inning lefty. He stinks and has for all but one year of his career.

Marte's WHIP is the worst of any pitcher who plays regularly on the team. For all Sox pitchers this year, the bottom are Kevin Walker (2.14), Jon Adkins (2.04), Marte (1.67). Next is Takatsu (1.60) and Vizcaino (1.43).

Cotts, in the meantime, is tied for second lowest on the team at 1.00. Politte leads at 0.88.

We need to trade Marte in the off season to anyone foolish enough to take him.

Taliesinrk
09-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Contreras rules, indeed.

Do we even have a closer? A closer should be used to pitch the entire ninth inning. If Dustin was healthy enough to pitch tonight, why didn't he start the ninth? If Ozzie doesn't have confidence in Hermanson's back, then he should be a set up man and let Jenks be the closer.

Marte may have pitched himself off the playoff roster tonight. It's silly to carry eleven pitchers on the playoff roster because one of the starters goes to the bullpen anyway. Why play with one less bench player to make room for an extra pitcher who sucks.

Well that would leave us with one lefty in the pen for the playoffs.. probably not the best move..

voodoochile
09-07-2005, 09:56 PM
perhaps ozzie was runnin marte back out there to get him some confidence against KC in sept instead of Bos in Oct. i think ozzie did the right thing tonight.. i would venture a guess that ozzie had more faith in jenks tonight.. but realized it wasn't necessarily just about tonight..

Stairs is one of those guys too who can sit dead red, dial it up and whack one a long way when he guesses right. If you are going to ruin one guys confidence, why not go with the guy who is already struggling?

Marte snaps off a couple of sliders and all of a sudden he is back on track and that would be super cool. Unfortunately his slider didn't snap...:(:

bludupree
09-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Hopefully tonight was the last time Marte comes in a tight game late in the game. Better to find out he doesn't belong in there now than later.

CanBuehrleWait
The good... Paulie remains en fuego. Good job fella. The Bad, 6 hits 5 walks but what matters is the 0 he put up. Bad as he wannabe good job Jose. The ugly... Marte.... pitching like this, this guy can no be trusted in the playoffs. He's been just plain brutal but we do need two lefties out of the pen. Maybe we should use Buehrle out of the pen as our other lefty since he can't beat good teams?

Realist
Best Record in Baseball Again! :supernana:

Thanks, Cubs :?:

mdep524
What a weird game. Definitely the best pitched game in Chicago by a "Wood" all season. Is that counting simulated games?

TornLabrum
09-07-2005, 09:59 PM

Maybe, but I doubt if the end result bolstered Marte's confidence.

DickAllen72
Well that would leave us with one lefty in the pen for the playoffs.. probably not the best move..
Marte can't get lefties out anyway so what the hell is the difference???

RallyBowl
Is that counting simulated games?

Nice. Also, great work on the sig.

Brian26
Marte snaps off a couple of sliders and all of a sudden he is back on track and that would be super cool. Unfortunately his slider didn't snap...:(:

If Marte is that much of a loose cannon, though, it makes you wonder if Ozzie can trust him in a big playoff situation. Marte looked absolutely like a deer in headlights tonight. It's strange....sometimes he looks just unhittable, and then there are these meltdowns like tonight.

Jenks looked great, and Hermy certainly earned his save against Sweeney with the tying and lead runs on base.

Good win.

Magic Number = 15
7 wins in a row.

mdep524
09-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Bruce Levine trying to stir things up in the press conference, asks Ozzie how he feels about the fans booing him. Ozzie didn't understand the question (he though Bruce was talking about Ozzie's trip to the mound after Marte's implosion, I assumer Bruce meant Ozzie's trip to take Jenks out). :rolleyes:

Brian26
09-07-2005, 10:02 PM

By 0.001 of a percentage point. :D:

It'll work!

Also, we're 87-21. Only need to go 12-12 to match the greatest Sox record in our lifetime.

TaylorStSox
09-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Maybe, but I doubt if the end result bolstered Marte's confidence.

That's his own fault. Ozzie put him in a position to succeed. The blame lies on Marte and his inability to pitch well under pressure. Even when he was dominating, he was never closer material.

WagMan
09-07-2005, 10:05 PM
That's his own fault. Ozzie put him in a position to succeed. The blame lies on Marte and his inability to pitch well under pressure. Even when he was dominating, he was never closer material.

How is the blame on Marte? Why did Ozzie even put him in there in that role? If Jenks is being groomed to be the eventual closer and Dustin is the current closer... why go anywhere outside of those two guys if they're available? There was no need to pull Jenks after the way he got the first out.

TornLabrum
09-07-2005, 10:07 PM
How is the blame on Marte? Why did Ozzie even put him in there in that role? If Jenks is being groomed to be the eventual closer and Dustin is the current closer... why go anywhere outside of those two guys if they're available? There was no need to pull Jenks after the way he got the first out.

Give that man a cigar!

Brian26
09-07-2005, 10:08 PM
How is the blame on Marte? Why did Ozzie even put him in there in that role?

Because Stairs, a dangerous left-handed hitter, was coming up. I don't have a problem with Ozzie's move. Marte failed. If you can't bring Marte to face a tough lefthanded hitter like Stairs, something's wrong. That's Marte's job. Ozzie's not throwing the pitches. Don't get me wrong- Jenks looked great, and I didn't want him to come out. But, I can't blame Ozzie because Marte had a meltdown.

mdep524
09-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Lost in the Marte discussion is the Sox lack of offensive execution tonight. I'm going to give Wood a lot of credit, because he looked pretty good and gritty to me.

But it might not be a bad idea to give Aaron a day off tomorrow and give Brian Anderson and/or Joe Borchard a start. I think he's just trying to hard out there right now. He's pulling everything, which is a bad sign for him. When he gets back to letting the ball come to him and hitting to right center we'll know he's back.

Taliesinrk
If Marte is that much of a loose cannon, though, it makes you wonder if Ozzie can trust him in a big playoff situation. Marte looked absolutely like a deer in headlights tonight. It's strange....sometimes he looks just unhittable, and then there are these meltdowns like tonight.

Jenks looked great, and Hermy certainly earned his save against Sweeney with the tying and lead runs on base.

Good win.

Magic Number = 15
7 wins in a row.

Look, I'm not tryin to argue here, but there's no doubt in my mind here that tonight was a good move by Ozzie... He leaves me wondering sometimes what I just saw, but look, 9.5 games up, best record in the AL (now tied in games for all baseball), he doesn't need to win against the KC Royals; he needs to figure out who to use in October. And furthermore, it was two pitches.. unfortunately I'm at school right now and can't get the telecasts so I've got Rooney and FArmer so I couldn't see Marte's composure nor his command of the zone tonight. But as a pitcher it's not quite as hard to hit 2 batters as it may seem. After last night's performance, Marte needed to be out there.. just as I believe he will need to be out there tomorrow night.. unless of course everyone here thinks our second lefty in the postseason should be.. dare I say Kevin Walker????? or perhaps you all think MB????

Edit: Sorry, it just is a little frustrating to hear the fans in the background booing Guillen/ Marte.. Marte maybe a little, but please, there should not be booing.. especially in the middle of a big winning streak.. It's BS.. sorry to the fans there tonight but when a guy's struggling, you dont just sit him down and forget about him for the rest of the seaons.. especially when you have no other choice as to carry him in the postseason (where you'll need him) because there's no other person to take his spot.

DickAllen72

How is Marte to blame??? He comes in with no one on base and immediately hits the first two guys he sees and you ask how he is to blame???

I agree that Jenks should have been left in. Or, if Hermanson is still supposedly our closer, he should have started the ninth and pitched the whole inning. That's what closers are supposed to do, especially in one run games.

TaylorStSox
09-07-2005, 10:11 PM

He put Marte in against 2 LH to get the save. That's Marte's job!

This is nothing new. Ozzie's used the pen like this the whole year. He hasn't done most things in a traditional manner. That's the way it's been and that's the way it's going to be.

voodoochile
09-07-2005, 10:11 PM
By 0.001 of a percentage point. :D:

It'll work!

Also, we're 87-21. Only need to go 12-12 to match the greatest Sox record in our lifetime.

That also means we are 1 up in the loss column as the Cards have played 2 more games than us... Hey, where's that trib article about the Cards, Stros and Brewers all folding like the '69 flubbies...

JB98
09-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Because Stairs, a dangerous left-handed hitter, was coming up. I don't have a problem with Ozzie's move. Marte failed. If you can't bring Marte to face a tough lefthanded hitter like Stairs, something's wrong. That's Marte's job. Ozzie's not throwing the pitches. Don't get me wrong- Jenks looked great, and I didn't want him to come out. But, I can't blame Ozzie because Marte had a meltdown.

But Marte has had repeated struggles, especially in the ninth inning of games. This isn't the first time this has happened. I think Ozzie better readjust his thinking.

mdep524
09-07-2005, 10:13 PM
After last night's performance, Marte needed to be out there.. just as I believe he will need to be out there tomorrow night.. unless of course everyone here thinks our second lefty in the postseason should be.. dare I say Kevin Walker????? or perhaps you all think MB???? Second lefty, yes. Tonight he was used as first lefty or arguably closer. He's not suited for either role.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Good stuff.

Brian Dolgin aked Ozzie in the post game conference what he thought of the boos when he brought out Jenks. Ozzie said - "I don't know if they were booing me or Marte" and people chuckled. Then he said "If they were booing me I deserved it."

Brian26
09-07-2005, 10:15 PM
But Marte has had repeated struggles, especially in the ninth inning of games. This isn't the first time this has happened. I think Ozzie better readjust his thinking.

At this point, a simple flip-flop of Cotts and Marte in the bullpen hierarchy should solve the problem.

Taliesinrk
09-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Brian Dolgin aked Ozzie in the post game conference what he thought of the boos when he brought out Jenks. Ozzie said - "I don't know if they were booing me or Marte" and people chuckled. Then he said "If they were booing me I deserved it."

He also said if they were.. that's why he was the manager.. What's he gonna do?? Say F the fans???

mdep524
09-07-2005, 10:18 PM
That also means we are 1 up in the loss column as the Cards have played 2 more games than us... Hey, where's that trib article about the Cards, Stros and Brewers all folding like the '69 flubbies...
:knue:morrisey
Believe us, there is nothing more we would like to do than give more coverage to any team but to the Sox. Hey, someone tell van Dyck to check if the '64 Phillies won any 1-0 games in September.

SOXSINCE'70
:kmarte "I guess I'm just not very good."

I guess your elbow/shoulder injury isn't as healed as you say it is.
Either get your stuff together or sit your ass on the bench come
playoff time.:angry: :angry: :angry:

rwcescato
Sounds like a plan to me.

This is awesome as we continue to drive to the division clincher. Nice game by our guys. As all the e-mailers write to hawk on his telecasts. GO SOX!!
Magic # 15 and shrinking.
Rich:supernana:

voodoochile
09-07-2005, 10:19 PM
He also said if they were.. that's why he was the manager.. What's he gonna do?? Say F the fans???

No, and neither should you... enjoy the week off...

SOXSINCE'70
09-07-2005, 10:20 PM
:knue:morrisey
Believe us, there is nothing more we would like to do than give more coverage to any team but to the Sox. Hey, someone tell van Dyck to check if the '64 Phillies won any 1-0 games in September.

Still waiting for Drillrod Van Dyck's tribute to the '78 Red Sox
and '95 Angels and their choke jobs.But the '69 sCrUBS????
Good luck on finding that series!!:angry: :angry:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-07-2005, 10:22 PM

Ozzie also said he needs to make the right decisions or Kenny Williams will replace him with someone who could. At least he is honest. He may think twice before putting Marte in a key situation. The fans did a good job.

Brian26
09-07-2005, 10:23 PM
The fans did a good job.

I thought the standing ovation for Contreras in the 8th was outstanding. The fans did a nice job!

gobears1987
09-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Trade Paulie

Norberto7
09-07-2005, 10:27 PM
I was in Dominick's when the game ended. When I turned the radio on when I got back in the car, it was Ozzie's post game press conference. Without hearing the score, it had me convinced the Sox lost the game. :?:

Foulke You
Still waiting for Drillrod Van Dyck's tribute to the '78 Red Sox
and '95 Angels and their choke jobs.But the '69 sCrUBS????
Good luck on finding that series!!:angry: :angry:
Sun Times Cub fan Greg Couch has also been surprisingly silent during the White Sox turnaround. Boy did he have a lot to say about us being in a "full fledged choke" about 2 weeks ago. I'm sure he'll write about the Bears offensive line tomorrow.

PeteWard

Hmmm. Well please help then with this: what did Neal Cotts do to deserve getting buried near the bottom of the pen?

Seriously, is he hurt or something? He is having a stellar year.

Optipessimism
Marte's WHIP is the worst of any pitcher who plays regularly on the team. For all Sox pitchers this year, the bottom are Kevin Walker (2.14), Jon Adkins (2.04), Marte (1.67). Next is Takatsu (1.60) and Vizcaino (1.43).

Cotts, in the meantime, is tied for second lowest on the team at 1.00. Politte leads at 0.88.

We need to trade Marte in the off season to anyone foolish enough to take him.

It was funny because when Jenks came in for the end of the 8th I was thinking to myself 'Ozzie is always praised by Hawk for having confidence in his pitchers, so when the hell is he going to have some confidence in Cotts and Jenks to close a tight game?'

Then Jenks starts off the 9th and I'm thinking how great it would be for the whole bullpen if Bobby was left in to close things out. Just then he brings in Marte and shows why he can't manage a bullpen.

Also, what you wrote above about WHIP is true, and the fact is Vizzy has been on the way up for quite a while now and Marte has been on the way down. I sure hope Ozzie doesn't have this love for Damaso during the playoffs and I hope he realizes that Cotts has pitched himself into a position where he deserves these opportunities.

cheeses_h_rice
09-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Sun Times Cub fan Greg Couch has also been surprisingly silent during the White Sox turnaround. Boy did he have a lot to say about us being in a "full fledged choke" about 2 weeks ago. I'm sure he'll write about the Bears offensive line tomorrow.

:windsock:

Thank god for Barry Bonds, Dusty Baker and Lance Armstrong!

noquitter
09-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Just then he brings in Marte and shows why he can't manage a bullpen.Have you submitted your resume to KW?

PeteWard
09-07-2005, 10:36 PM
A familiar sight these days. Too bad the Sox will fold because they have no power hitter.

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/ILBK11209080259.jpg

SOXfnNlansing
09-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Contreras rules, indeed.

Marte may have pitched himself off the playoff roster tonight. It's silly to carry eleven pitchers on the playoff roster because one of the starters goes to the bullpen anyway. Why play with one less bench player to make room for an extra pitcher who sucks. I remember a game at Angels, Ozzie brought in Walker to pitch in a crucial situation (I think we were winning by a run) and Walker gave up a bunch of runs. Walker was sent down the next day iirc. Maybe Ozzie is doing the same thing here with all his pitchers. Maybe Ozzie likes Jenks alot, but doesn't want to upset the apple cart, so he gives these players enough rope to hang themselves and makes the solution clear to all. jmo

pczarapa
09-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Yesterday, Marte was annoying. Today he was beyond annoying. I hope this outing gets him into Ozzie's doghouse.

On the bright side ...

Found it amazing that he could plunk 2 people like that, he's gotten scary lately. But heck, it doesn't matter now, we did win.

SOXfnNlansing
09-07-2005, 10:43 PM

Thanks, Cubs :?: "I know a little about winning"

pczarapa
A familiar sight these days. Too bad the Sox will fold because they have no power hitter.

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/ILBK11209080259.jpg

That's a great pic, Paulie is on a tear!

Ol' No. 2
I remember a game at Angels, Ozzie brought in Walker to pitch in a crucial situation (I think we were winning by a run) and Walker gave up a bunch of runs. Walker was sent down the next day iirc. Maybe Ozzie is doing the same thing here with all his pitchers. Maybe Ozzie likes Jenks alot, but doesn't want to upset the apple cart, so he gives these players enough rope to hang themselves and makes the solution clear to all. jmoOzzie loves matchups. Hence, there's not a snowball's chance in hell he'll go into the post-season with only one lefty in the pen.

SOXfnNlansing
09-07-2005, 10:45 PM
How is the blame on Marte? Why did Ozzie even put him in there in that role? If Jenks is being groomed to be the eventual closer and Dustin is the current closer... why go anywhere outside of those two guys if they're available? There was no need to pull Jenks after the way he got the first out. .... especially when lefties are hitting .270 off Marte.

Lorenzo Barcelo
I remember a game at Angels, Ozzie brought in Walker to pitch in a crucial situation (I think we were winning by a run) and Walker gave up a bunch of runs. Walker was sent down the next day iirc. Maybe Ozzie is doing the same thing here with all his pitchers. Maybe Ozzie likes Jenks alot, but doesn't want to upset the apple cart, so he gives these players enough rope to hang themselves and makes the solution clear to all. jmo

Yeah I recall that game too, but I think the bullpen was drained from the night before. Maybe someone can confirm this with Walker.

PeteWard
Lost in the Marte discussion is the Sox lack of offensive execution tonight. I'm going to give Wood a lot of credit, because he looked pretty good and gritty to me.

But it might not be a bad idea to give Aaron a day off tomorrow and give Brian Anderson and/or Joe Borchard a start. I think he's just trying to hard out there right now. He's pulling everything, which is a bad sign for him. When he gets back to letting the ball come to him and hitting to right center we'll know he's back.

No worries: tomorrow is blow-out night: I predict double figures from the Sox and a win finally from Detroit. Here's to 13 by then.

Brian26
09-07-2005, 10:46 PM

He's been busy over at Eric Zorn's apartment working on his knitting skills.

mjharrison72
09-07-2005, 10:46 PM
I was actually on the phone with my mother when Marte hit both batters... the first one made me lost my train of thought... the second provoked a tirade of expletives, which I have to say Mom wasn't happy about.
Best moment of the game, though, was when Hawk says "That'll do it, we head to the seventh inning stretch, Sox ahead 1-nothing." And DJ goes, "Uh... that's only two, partner." Hilarious.
-M

brewcrew/chisox
09-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Great game and fun had by all!

SEE ALL YOU PEOPLE AT THE GAME TOMORROW!

Should I bring a broom? :cool:

infohawk
09-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Good stuff.

What do you mean? It was a brilliant move. Marte didn't even give up a hit!!!

Banix12
09-07-2005, 11:07 PM
I sure hope Ozzie doesn't have this love for Damaso during the playoffs and I hope he realizes that Cotts has pitched himself into a position where he deserves these opportunities.

I also hope that Ozzie stops this matter that he has done occasionally of just bringing in Cotts to face a lefty and then go for a right handed reliever to face an upcoming batter. Yes he's good against Left Handers but he's twice as hard on righties as he is on lefties.

As far as Marte, I have to wonder if he's hurt again, that was god awful.

Marte gets the rest of the month to try and get it together but if he has anymore outings like this or his other god awful outings that he has been bailed out of I would leave him off the playoff roster, even though that means only one lefty.

Not so much this year (mostly due to his slow start) but historically Vizcaino has been very effective against Lefties and would use him like an extra lefty.

Evman5
09-07-2005, 11:08 PM
:angry:"EL CONDE" IS EN FUEGO!:angry:

That's four straight baby!

cheeses_h_rice
09-07-2005, 11:11 PM
What you didn't see...

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3323/pauliek1iw.jpg

Lip Man 1
09-07-2005, 11:14 PM
OK where is the real Jose' Contreras? Has anybody seen any aliens floating around the clubhouse recently LOL!

Lip

Norberto7
09-07-2005, 11:20 PM
What you didn't see...

:roflmao:

chisoxfanatic
09-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Once again, I was there, and there was this girl wearing a Royals jersey sitting right in front of me.

The place was rather quiet today, but thank you, Paulie, for catapulting this team to victory!!! I LOVE YOU!!! :redface:

NSSoxFan
09-07-2005, 11:27 PM
OK where is the real Jose' Contreras? Has anybody seen any aliens floating around the clubhouse recently LOL!

Lip

Lip, I think this is the real Jose Contreras.

chisoxfanatic
09-07-2005, 11:29 PM

And aren't Yankees fans just happy? :)

SOX ADDICT '73
09-07-2005, 11:38 PM
You know you're in the midst of a special season when not one, but TWO of your starting pitchers, both of whom have shown a ton of past potential but were labeled head cases, finally "figure things out."

Back in April, who would have thought that, come September, Garland would be a favorite for the Cy Young and Contreras would be our most reliable pitcher?

Optipessimism
09-08-2005, 12:00 AM
I also hope that Ozzie stops this matter that he has done occasionally of just bringing in Cotts to face a lefty and then go for a right handed reliever to face an upcoming batter. Yes he's good against Left Handers but he's twice as hard on righties as he is on lefties.

I'm with you there. I think Cotts has shown that no matter who you throw out against him, lefty or righty, he can get the job done. I have no problem with Ozzie bringing him in to face a lefty, but I hate seeing Ozzie taking him out when a mediocre right hander with some power steps up to the plate. Have some confidence in the guy, he's been the one of the most reliable arms in the pen all season.

Chisox003
09-08-2005, 12:31 AM
(Speaking of Konerko's HR)
"I threw that pitch down and away, and I think it caught too much of the plate,'' Wood said. "He owns this park.''

With homefield advantage, that's something I like to see going through opposing pitchers' minds .... Finally, in the absence of Frank, we have that one bopper as a threat ..... Now just imagine if Frank WAS in the lineup

ode to veeck
09-08-2005, 12:44 AM
.... especially when lefties are hitting .270 off Marte.

Damaso was getting his own hits on the batters tonight ...

ShoelessJoeS
09-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Damaso was getting his own hits on the batters tonight ...
ZING!!!

Unregistered
09-08-2005, 01:31 AM
"This is the best I've felt in three years," Contreras said. "Best of all, I'm helping my team."

IowaSox1971
09-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Didn't Marte strike out Ortiz on a fastball to end the eighth inning of Monday's game? Not every appearance of his has been a disaster.

Jenks had kind of a shaky appearance in Boston while giving up that long double and three-run homer, so Ozzie didn't want to give him an unfavorable matchup that possibly could have resulted in a blown save for the rookie against the Royals. I would have liked to have seen Jenks try to finish the game, but I can see Ozzie's reasoning.

ode to veeck
09-08-2005, 01:48 AM
I thought Jenks looked pretty good there in the top of the 9th and that Ozzie was bringing in Marte more to try to get Damaso some confidence and be the LH stopper he thinks he can be, but then Ozzie's postgame comments about the fans rightfully booing him as he pulled Jenks for Marte admit he realized in hindsight it was a bad move

Banix12
09-08-2005, 01:54 AM
Didn't Marte strike out Ortiz on a fastball to end the eighth inning of Monday's game? Not every appearance of his has been a disaster.

No not every appearance has been a disaster, and he has had his stretches of dominance. I seem to recall he looked great right after the all star break. However this year his bad far outweighs his good.

Yes his ERA is under 4 but he has the highest WHIP in the bullpen right now which I beleive is around 1.67 and his opponents' OBP against this season is around .370.

If nearly 40% of hitters get on base against you, you probably shouldn't be pitching the late innings.

I don't know the stats or where to find it but I remember a post about a month ago where someone showed that that marte also allowed the highest percentage of inherited runners to score than any member of the sox bullpen as well.

ShoelessJoeS
09-08-2005, 03:38 AM
That pretty much says it all (no teal necessary).

:cool:

doublem23
09-08-2005, 04:09 AM
thank you, Paulie, for catapulting this team to victory!!! I LOVE YOU!!! :redface:

Boy, Carlos is going to be upset. :tongue:

Anyways, solid game by Contreras. I still can't fathom that people want to start McCarthy over Hernandez in the post-season, but hey, whatever. I'd rather be trying to squeeze 6 guys into 5 spots instead of 4.

cbone
09-08-2005, 04:32 AM
It's a win and we are one step closer to clinching!!!

batmanZoSo
09-08-2005, 08:12 AM
What you didn't see...

*standing ovation*

Sxy Mofo
09-08-2005, 08:49 AM
I think it's funny that the two guys that everyone was eager to get rid of (mccarthy and contreras for burnett) are basically the two guys that really helped carry the sox through the rough stretch, especially contreras, though mcc did pretty well going 2-0 with a non-existant era.

JB98
09-08-2005, 12:20 PM
To the people who brought up Marte's strikeout of Ortiz the other day: That was in the *eighth* inning. I think Damaso is one of those pitchers who has a phobia about protecting a lead in the ninth. Looking back, most of his struggling outings this year have been in ninth innings. That's my primary beef with Guillen: He keeps trying to use Marte to close games. I'm not giving up on Damaso, but I think he needs to be used EXCLUSIVELY in a set-up role. Leave the ninth inning to Hermanson or Jenks.

At this point, I think it's up to Ozzie to recognize that Marte just can't handle a ninth inning.

BTW, there are no posts from ChiSoxBob in this thread. I'm so disappointed. During our losing streak, he was assuring us that the Royals were going to "kick our butts two out of three in our ballpark." Guess not, huh? :rolleyes: