PDA

View Full Version : Betcha this story doesn't get eaten by giant snails

Ol' No. 2
09-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0509070337sep07,1,2022451.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

This sounds hokey. 10 minutes after the game? People are walking around the concourse for half an hour after the game and I've never seen anyone hurried out. Gotta be more to it than this.

buehrle4cy05
09-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Gotta be more to it than this.

Not if the Cubune has anything to do with it (sadly, no teal needed).

DumpJerry
09-07-2005, 06:02 PM
I saw it this morning in the paper. As a lawyer, I always tell people there are three sides to every story: your side, their side and the truth. We only get one side to this story. I'm sure there is more to it than was reported. The Sox are correct in not commenting on it in public.

eriqjaffe
09-07-2005, 06:09 PM
The fact that the security personnel put him in an ambulance and sent him to the hospital certainly implies that they thought it was medically necessary, hardly the stuff of a normal ejection from the ballpark.

SOXintheBURGH
09-07-2005, 06:35 PM
REINSDORF HATES ELDERLY

Chicago AL Clinches Division

VA_GoGoSox
09-07-2005, 07:15 PM
The fact that the security personnel put him in an ambulance and sent him to the hospital certainly implies that they thought it was medically necessary, hardly the stuff of a normal ejection from the ballpark.

Also, I'm assuming that the fact he was carried out means he was put on a stretcher. Again, something that doesn't point to a normal ejection.

Question for any WSI lawyers: Don't you have to prove that you were harmed in some way to successfully sue someone? I'm having a hard time figuring out how this man was harmed.

TornLabrum
09-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Why does the phrase "falling-down drunk" keep running through my head?

tebman
09-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Something doesn't make sense here. This guy, who has impaired mobility, is carried out of the ballpark, after a game is over, put in an ambulance, two years ago, and he's suing the White Sox?

What does make perfect sense is that the World's Greatest Newspaper sees this as a story. No background, no follow-up, a few short paragraphs because the story is so thin, and it makes the cut.

Good thing it's a slow news week. No wars, no natural disasters, no recent deaths of prominent government officials. Gotta send all the stringers out there to dig deep to fill those pages.

CubKilla
09-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Question for any WSI lawyers: Don't you have to prove that you were harmed in some way to successfully sue someone? I'm having a hard time figuring out how this man was harmed.

One word..... emotional distress.

You don't need to prove anything for a lawyer to sue for unreasonable sums of money.

Ol' No. 2
09-07-2005, 11:35 PM

You don't need to prove anything for a lawyer to sue for unreasonable sums of money.You don't have to prove anything to sue. You do have to prove something to win. And getting a judgement on emotional distress is nowhere near as easy as you think. This case has no legs. It's a nuisance suit, meant to get the Sox to fork over some cash to avoid bad publicity.

Oh yeah. One word....learn to count.:wink:

MUsoxfan
09-08-2005, 02:33 AM

You don't need to prove anything for a lawyer to sue for unreasonable sums of money.

Either sue or don't. 2 years is a long time, and I think the jury (if it gets there) will take that into consideration

DumpJerry
09-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Two years is the statute of limitation for most tort actions. He is probably suing for some sort of infliction of emotional distress (there is intentional and negligent). The reason it took two years is most likely because the parties could not come to a resolution before the SOL ran. There is too much that could be read into this, it does not necessarily mean that the man was asking for too much $$$, the Sox could have taken a position that they did nothing wrong and would prevail at trial or felt that the man was bluffing about suing because his case was very weak and would be dismissed as frivilous.

Botttom line: only 3% of lawsuits filed in Cook County actually make it to trial. The others are either dismissed by the court or settle. We will probably never get the story about what happened.

Hitmen77
09-08-2005, 09:28 AM
:knue
'This story fits perfectly into our efforts to write negative articles about the Sox. Stories like this are great! We can post a headline on tribune.com that makes the Sox look bad and most people are just going to glance at the headline or read the story without ever questionning whether the Sox did anything wrong. The result is that we further plant a negative image of the Sox into the minds of thousands of readers. God I love this job!

oh, er...ahem, uh, what I meant to say was YOU SOX FANS ARE PARANOID, WE HAVE TO REPORT THE NEWS, WE'D REPORT THE SAME THING IF IT WERE ABOUT THE CUBS, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH......."

woodenleg
09-09-2005, 02:33 AM
This is just legal harassment.

I've seen this crap before. I even sat on the jury of such a case. Whether it goes to trial or not doesn't matter...the point is to harass. You can always tell when they try to claim "negligence".

Sorry, but it just doesn't sound like the Sox to treat a disabled person like this. But nothing they do will be good enough for some people. And like you said, there are holes in this story. Let's not forget which ballpark is far less accomodating to the disabled (I have a disabled mom who can't even go to Wrigley, it's such a hassle).

Coincidence, or just plain irony?

mikehuff
09-09-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm totally confused by this article. There's not enough information here.

Waiting for the bathroom to clear out?
Taken in an ambulance?
Refused treatment? - For what?

What the hell???

I have no idea what this is about. Can someone make sense out of this for me?

chisoxfanatic
09-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I have major issues with anyone who waits a long period of time like 2 years to sue. If it bothers you at the moment, then do something about it...after that, shut up!

miker
09-09-2005, 12:47 PM
It's a nuisance suit, meant to get the Sox to fork over some cash to avoid bad publicity.
Are you saying the Sox don't ever get bad publicity?

munchman33
09-09-2005, 01:51 PM
This doesn't make any sense. I've sat in the ballpark well longer than half an hour after a game. And I've never been asked to leave. Something tells me this guy is either lying, or it was significantly longer after the games end than he is saying.

santo=dorf
09-09-2005, 02:43 PM
9-7-03 was the game where Frank Thomas, with the crowd chanting "Let's go Frank," crushed a towering 3-run homer off of David Riske as the Sox completed a 3 game sweep on a Sunday Afternoon.
Why would they kick someone out 10 minutes after the game on a Sunday afternoon? Don't they usually let kids or seniors run the bases on Sundays? :?:

Ol' No. 2
09-09-2005, 03:08 PM
9-7-03 was the game where Frank Thomas, with the crowd chanting "Let's go Frank," crushed a towering 3-run homer off of David Riske as the Sox completed a 3 game sweep on a Sunday Afternoon.
Why would they kick someone out 10 minutes after the game on a Sunday afternoon? Don't they usually let kids or seniors run the bases on Sundays? :?:Not every Sunday, and that was not one. This story has more holes in it than I can count. Anyone looking at it would immediately recognize that it's obviously filled with half-truths or outright lies. Of course, none of this would deter the Cubune from printing it. I'm just surprised it wasn't on page 1. What's more important, some dumb hurricane five states away or the White Sox security abusing a poor cripple?

Iwritecode
09-09-2005, 03:34 PM
It says he was carried out and taken to a hospital by ambulance where he refused treatment.

Why would they force him to leave and then put him in an ambulance? :?:

This story makes no sense.

Deuce
09-09-2005, 05:03 PM
http://www.rhythmflow.net/sitebuilder/images/kanye1-146x153.jpg

"Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't care about old people."