PDA

View Full Version : Morse suspended for steriods

mjmcend
09-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Per Roto world:

MLB suspended Mariners shortstop Mike Morse 10 days for violating the steroids policy.
Morse becomes the third Mariner suspended, joining Jamal Strong and Ryan Franklin. This is nothing new for him, as he was suspended twice while in the minors last year, reportedly for using over-the-counter banned substances. Yuniesky Betancourt will get more playing time while Morse is out. Sep. 7 - 2:44 pm et

I am glad he was still not with the organization when his major league suspension happened.

kittle42
09-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Don't tell jeremyb1!

Flight #24
09-07-2005, 03:16 PM
The plot thickens.....http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2154494

"This positive test was due to the fact there were still some remnants of the steroid left in my system from the 2003 offseason," he said.

"There was nothing I could do to completely remove the steroids from my body." He tested postive again in July 2004.

Someone with better knowledge of this than I please chime in - what steroids are there that last a year or more after you stop taking them? Seems fishy to me.

On a side note, IMO this probably played into the org's decision to include him in the trade. Multiple failed tests is a big no-no, not to mention that regardless of the actual effect of the drugs, good stats following a positive test are highly questionable. Good job KW! (Despite the fact that the great Jeremy Reed's hitting .255 with a .324 OBP.)

mikehuff
09-07-2005, 03:46 PM
What a horrible trade!

HotelWhiteSox
09-07-2005, 03:53 PM

Someone with better knowledge of this than I please chime in - what steroids are there that last a year or more after you stop taking them? Seems fishy to me.

That's the thing, kind of like what Canseco was talking about, how no one really knows how long the different types can stay, it could be 5 years for all I know. This theory also makes sense for Palmeiro, I mean, no way someone is that stupid, and especially with his situation, to continue things that are easily tested for. At least switch to HGH!

He said some decent hitting numbers but he always had a worried look on his face, mustve known it was coming. I think he just recently won a game for them with a hit

wilburaga
09-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm just curious if teams, the White Sox in this case, are required to inform their trading partners of any failed drug test by players involved before a deal is consummated. I would think this would be the case but I'm not sure.

If Seattle didn't know Morse had failed a drug test, the Gord Ash/Sirotka days may be revisited with a vengeance.

If Seattle did know about the failed test then they knowingly traded for a cheater.

W

Randar68
09-07-2005, 04:49 PM

On a side note, IMO this probably played into the org's decision to include him in the trade. Multiple failed tests is a big no-no, not to mention that regardless of the actual effect of the drugs, good stats following a positive test are highly questionable. Good job KW! (Despite the fact that the great Jeremy Reed's hitting .255 with a .324 OBP.)

He was suspended last year for steroids as part of the minor league testing program during his break-out season in Birmingham shortly before being traded.

That previous failed test does matter to the new testing program's rules for multiple positives...

Lip Man 1
09-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Very good story on this from Ken Rosenthal. Looks at the different sides and issues with this:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/4848042

Lip

maurice
09-07-2005, 05:33 PM
He admits he cheated, claims he hasn't cheated lately, but can't prove it. :whiner:

If Seattle didn't know Morse had failed a drug test . . . .

They knew. The previous violation was public knowledge.

Ol' No. 2
09-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Very good story on this from Ken Rosenthal. Looks at the different sides and issues with this:

LipLooks like a bug in the whole system that they're going to have to address. Some steroids clear the system a lot slower than others. although I'm pretty sure that it's not the steroids that remain in the system for a long time but their metabolites, which do not impart any physical advantage. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a no-brainer that if you detect the same substance in a later test and it's concentration has declined, there hasn't been a new use and he should not be suspended again. Someone needs an attack of common sense here.

A real commissioner with stones would do the right thing here. I'm not holding my breath.

daveeym
09-07-2005, 05:54 PM

Lip BUD MUST GO. I'm against steroid use BIG TIME but this is ridiculous.

StillMissOzzie
09-08-2005, 02:34 AM

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I was wondering this too. If steroids, or evidence of their prior use, hangs around the body for that long, then we can expect to see more repeat offenders from those already suspended this year. However, the privacy policy prohibits MLB from any comment on what they found, how much, etc., so Morse can qualify his positive test any way he wants, safe in the knowledge that contradictory info shouldn't come out.

On the other hand, it keeps my hopes alive that Sosa will get busted, even if he hasn't juiced up lately.

SMO
:gulp:

Fredsox
09-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I noticed the way the cubune shared this story today:
"Mariner's suspension irks union
Morse violated steroids policy while a Sox farmhand in '03"

Not that they'd be implying anything by that of course.....

TDog
09-09-2005, 01:59 PM
I noticed the way the cubune shared this story today:
"Mariner's suspension irks union
Morse violated steroids policy while a Sox farmhand in '03"

Not that they'd be implying anything by that of course.....

What was professional baseball's steroids policy in 2003?

Flight #24
09-09-2005, 02:26 PM
What was professional baseball's steroids policy in 2003?

IIRC, there was a minor league policy. I think it was in place by '03.

Flight #24
09-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I was wondering this too. If steroids, or evidence of their prior use, hangs around the body for that long, then we can expect to see more repeat offenders from those already suspended this year. However, the privacy policy prohibits MLB from any comment on what they found, how much, etc., so Morse can qualify his positive test any way he wants, safe in the knowledge that contradictory info shouldn't come out.

On the other hand, it keeps my hopes alive that Sosa will get busted, even if he hasn't juiced up lately.

SMO
:gulp:

Per the Rosenthal article, the 'roids he used were DecaDurobolin and Winstrol, which IIRC are among the most commonly used ones. That raises the question: Have other guys been busted for those drugs (I'd assume so), and why haven't they been subject to the "long-lasting" repeat positive?

Either everyone but Morse is a moron and kept using (so theirs was a true repeat positive), or it's lasting a lot longer in his system than others, which would be odd.

I guess we'll see over the next year or so, but if no one else has a similar repeat positive, I'd start to question whether Mike's story is 100% on the up and up.

D. TODD
09-09-2005, 03:56 PM
It's very possible that he is clean now, but it is tough to give him the benifit of the doubt when everybody who is busted says there is a reason or conspiracy why they came up dirty. The testing is not perfect by a longshot, but it's better then nothing.

daveeym
09-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Per the Rosenthal article, the 'roids he used were DecaDurobolin and Winstrol, which IIRC are among the most commonly used ones. That raises the question: Have other guys been busted for those drugs (I'd assume so), and why haven't they been subject to the "long-lasting" repeat positive?

Either everyone but Morse is a moron and kept using (so theirs was a true repeat positive), or it's lasting a lot longer in his system than others, which would be odd.

I guess we'll see over the next year or so, but if no one else has a similar repeat positive, I'd start to question whether Mike's story is 100% on the up and up. The implication I'm getting is the minor leauge testing and discipline is entirely seperate from the Major league testing and discipline. If his 2003 positive was in the Majors he wouldn't be getting tagged again.