PDA

View Full Version : Maybe It's a Good Thing We Didn't Trade for Griffey

cheeses_h_rice
09-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Might be out for the year with a foot injury (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2153942).

Not that I'm saying he would have suffered this injury with the Sox, but you never know.

Iwritecode
09-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Already posted in Talking Baseball.

MarySwiss
09-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Might be out for the year with a foot injury (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2153942).

Not that I'm saying he would have suffered this injury with the Sox, but you never know.

And don't forget McCarthy was rumored to be a key part of that deal. You're right; there's no way to know for sure, but that could turn out to be one of the best trades we never made. :cool:

Unregistered
09-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Yep. Chalk this one up for "best trade the Sox didn't make," regardless of the fact that it was KW who was looking to deal and got turned down and not the other way around...

Imagine BMac pitching 2 shutouts for the Reds while Griffey is about to go on the DL for the rest of the season as a member of the Sox. This board would be un-readable. :D:

Iwritecode
09-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Yep. Chalk this one up for "best trade the Sox didn't make," regardless of the fact that it was KW who was looking to deal and got turned down and not the other way around...

Imagine BMac pitching 2 shutouts for the Reds while Griffey is about to go on the DL for the rest of the season as a member of the Sox. This board would be un-readable. :D:

I thought the Garland for Erstad was the best trade KW never made? :?:

MarySwiss
09-07-2005, 02:21 PM

I wouldn't have been able to read it because I would have shot myself.

Flight #24
09-07-2005, 02:21 PM
And don't forget McCarthy was rumored to be a key part of that deal. You're right; there's no way to know for sure, but that could turn out to be one of the best trades we never made. :cool:

To be fair, were there really any actual rumors about McCarthy? or just rants from the Reds fans about "We need McCarthy, another top guy, AND they eat the whole contract"? The only deal I actually saw from any even remotely credible source was the Young+Rogo+Honel for Griffey+cash deal. The rest of the talk was all about how much cash the Sox would take on, never about ponying up a McCarthy.

Just want to make sure we're not creating more fodder for the rapidly dwindling anti-KW club. "I know McCarthy's awesome, but that idiot KW wanted to trade him to the Reds!"

Unregistered
09-07-2005, 02:22 PM
I thought the Garland for Erstad was the best trade KW never made? :?:OK, this season. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
09-07-2005, 02:22 PM
To be fair, were there really any actual rumors about McCarthy? or just rants from the Reds fans about "We need McCarthy, another top guy, AND they eat the whole contract"? The only deal I actually saw from any even remotely credible source was the Young+Rogo+Honel for Griffey+cash deal. The rest of the talk was all about how much cash the Sox would take on, never about ponying up a McCarthy.

Just want to make sure we're not creating more fodder for the rapidly dwindling anti-KW club. "I know McCarthy's awesome, but that idiot KW wanted to trade him to the Reds!"That's the way I remember it, too. McCarthy was rumored in the Burnett trade.

SOXintheBURGH
09-07-2005, 02:27 PM
That's the way I remember it, too. McCarthy was rumored in the Burnett trade.

I think McCarthy was rumoured in every trade scenario this season.

Borchard/Harris/McCarthy for Pujols?

Unregistered
09-07-2005, 02:27 PM

Just want to make sure we're not creating more fodder for the rapidly dwindling anti-KW club. "I know McCarthy's awesome, but that idiot KW wanted to trade him to the Reds!"I remember reading a few papers saying that it was likely what Carl Linder (I think that's his name) was asking for. If those are to be believed, and in the end the Reds nixed the deal, it's possible that KW agreed to it. I even recall him mentioning how much they offered to "overpay" to get an impact player here before the deadline - that would certainly qualify.

MarySwiss
09-07-2005, 02:29 PM
That's the way I remember it, too. McCarthy was rumored in the Burnett trade.

You guys could be right. I'm not sure and I'm too lazy to research the thread on it. But I thought some mention was made of them wanting a "top pitching prospect" and people speculating that it was McCarthy.

TheOldRoman
09-07-2005, 02:33 PM
True, but we dont know the whole story. As the Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase used to say "Everybody has a price". Regaurdless of how spineless Reds ownership was, they would had Kenny offered enough. We don't know how much Kenny offered prospect wise, or how much of the contract he offered to pick up. If Kenny would have eaten the whole contract and given two good prospects, Griffey would be ours, no matter how many reports said the Reds wanted to keep him. Im sure KW pondered doing so, seeing as the Sox were playing horribly at the time, but in the end he decided that Griffey was too much of an injury risk.
Kenny wanted Griffey badly, but he would only go so far.

Iwritecode
09-07-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm curious as to what's going through the minds of the current Reds ownership and the group that is supposedly interested in buying the Reds only if Griffey is still there (if the rumors are to be believed).

Optipessimism
09-07-2005, 11:15 PM
As the Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase used to say "Everybody has a price".

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:atQUsUrOKEEJ:www.arkansasrockers.com/database/images/Ted-Dibiase.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.arkansasrockers.com/database/images/Ted-Dibiase.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.arkansasrockers.com/profiles/allprofiles.asp&h=292&w=221&sz=11&tbnid=atQUsUrOKEEJ:&tbnh=111&tbnw=84&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dted%2Bdibiase%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den% 26lr%3D) "Sing it, Scotty."

:borass: (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#) "Money, money, money, money, moneeyyyyyy."

Hagan
09-08-2005, 12:39 AM
My dad and jay pinski are good friends and jay told my dad that they wanted mccarthy anderson and young for griffey and kenny said that was way way to much.