PDA

View Full Version : Uribe's Plate Discipline

kjhanson
09-07-2005, 12:41 PM
In the past, the only time Uribe and plate discipline were used in the same sentence was in the following circumstances: "Uribe has no plate discipline at all!" However, over his last 40 at-bats, Juan has only struck out one time. Compare that to three walks, and you can see why his OBP and BA have risen 16 points over the same time period. It seems like he's really mastered that check swing. That check swing gives him valuable extra time to determine whether or not to swing (a la Big Frank). I was glad to see him in the 7-spot last night. He can really help carry the load from there.

Also, one more interesting observation:

.280 12 61 13 SB
.267 14 65 16

The stats from the first player are from the somewhat disappointing Aaron Rowand (Salary=$2 mil). The second player? None other than the $11.57 mil. Carlos Beltran that everyone craved in the off-season.

hawkjt
09-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Yea,Juan is a difference maker at playoff time if he is hot like now. But he did swing at first pitch every time at bat last nite after the homer. He definitely lacks patience. It is like he is in such a hurry to make something happen he will swing at the first pitch in the area code to get the ab over. I do not consider those last two abs quality. But I love the high leg kick. This kid keeps it going in OCt. and the sox are in the WS.

CHIsoxNation
09-07-2005, 01:26 PM
...However, over his last 40 at-bats, Juan has only struck out one time. Compare that to three walks, and you can see why his OBP and BA have risen 16 points over the same time period. It seems like he's really mastered that check swing...

I think a lot of it has to do with the little leg kick he has going on now. Before he didn't seem to wait back on any pitches and was swinging at anything thrown near the plate. With his leg kick, he is looking a lot like Iguchi up there. He is forced to stay back on his right leg and see the pitch a bit longer. The leg kick can really help someone's timing too, which is what Uribe really needed.

JeffIsTHEMAN
09-07-2005, 02:35 PM
its all about the new swing his patience looks the same to me

mccoydp
09-07-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm just glad he stopped with the golf swings, like we saw Ozuna do last night...after the ball was in the catcher's mitt...

scottjanssens
09-07-2005, 04:49 PM
He works out with Hrniak and he starts hitting... coincidence? I think not. I miss Walt. Sure he pissed off most of the team, but they had good swings at the plate.

my5thbench
09-07-2005, 05:28 PM
ChiSoxnation is exactly right.....according to Walker they were working

with Juan a few days ago & he inadvertntly made that little leg kick &

bingo he started hitting everything & driving the ball to right...Walk

was amazed by the development

MUsoxfan
09-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Also, one more interesting observation:

.280 12 61 13 SB
.267 14 65 16

The stats from the first player are from the somewhat disappointing Aaron Rowand (Salary=$2 mil). The second player? None other than the $11.57 mil. Carlos Beltran that everyone craved in the off-season.

I must say that I'm less than surprised. Look for Beltran to turn it up again when he's looking to get traded.

MRKARNO
09-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Uribe was so lost at the plate that he needed a total overhaul of his plate approach and it appears that Walt Hrniak has done just that with Uribe. Uribe has a ridiculous amount of power and has a lot of critical skills for a hitter, so it would be a waste of talent if someone couldnt make Uribe into one of the top hitting SS's in baseball. Hrniak has Uribe taking an approach that is actually quite reminiscent of that of the Big Hurt. I've even seen Uribe doing the thing that Thomas always does where he points the bat torwards the pitcher and brings it back before the at bat. It's obvious Uribe has been watching a ton of tape of Thomas. Uribe is also standing further back in the batter's box instead of towards the very front as he was before. The parallels are many between Thomas and Uribe's new approach. Obviously Uribe is being pitched much differently compared to Thomas, so he's not getting all of the walks that Thomas would get immediately, but if he keeps hitting HRs like he has been, they will come.

This is a very positive development. Uribe has the ability to propel this White Sox offense through October if he does what he is fully capable of. Thus far, Uribe has been a huge dissapointment offensively. He is still 100 points of slugging below where he was last year. If he stays hot through September, he could raise his BA and OBP back to about where it was last year (.283/.327).