PDA

View Full Version : Check out the home page

FarWestChicago
12-02-2001, 03:56 PM
There's a new poll and a very nice new banner.

doublem23
12-02-2001, 06:02 PM
The banner is awesome... Great poll, and of course, I love the new Sox Fans Sound Off! :)

Jerry_Manuel
12-02-2001, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
And of course, I love the new Sox Fans Sound Off!

It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you wrote it would it?

doublem23
12-02-2001, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
It wouldn't have anyhing to do with the fact that you wrote it would it?

I've been caught red-handed!

But I really enjoy reading the Sox Fans Sound Off, especially when it's written by a regular poster on the board. I really like that idea of an open column for Sox fans.

This one, though, IMO, wasn't as good as my Save the Twins! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/SoundOff/Michel2.htm) column.

Jerry_Manuel
12-02-2001, 06:26 PM
But I really enjoy reading the Sox Fans Sound Off, especially when it's written by a regular poster on the board. I really like that idea of an open column for Sox fans.

This one, though, IMO, wasn't as good as my Save the Twins! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/SoundOff/Michel2.htm) column.

It was a good column but I wouldn't shed a tear if the Twins left.

doublem23
12-02-2001, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
It was a good column but I wouldn't shed a tear if the Twins left.

Well, neither would I, but my objection to losing the Twins is purely for my pro-Sox attitude. I really don't about the Twins, but as I said, we need a rival... badly. The Twins just seem to be the most natural choice.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-02-2001, 06:57 PM
Well, neither would I, but my objection to losing the Twins is purely for my pro-Sox attitude. I really don't about the Twins, but as I said, we need a rival... badly. The Twins just seem to be the most natural choice.

The Twins have been playing in the same league and division with the Sox for over 40 years. If we haven't built a rivalry yet, I don't think it will ever happen.

Cleveland is a rival from a long time ago, and Detroit could easily develop into one, too. Both teams have a fair number of regional fans who travel to Chicago.

Let's face it. With the exception of Cleveland, our division sucks for rivalries.

:tool
"Since Wendy's Brewers* can't be in the same division with the Yankees and Red Sox, I'll just move them to the National League to be with the Cubs and Cardinals. I'm the commissioner."

*Remember--I have no official connection with the Brewers any longer (wink wink)

doublem23
12-02-2001, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The Twins have been playing in the same league and division with the Sox for over 40 years. If we haven't built a rivalry yet, I don't think it will ever happen.

But how long has it been since both teams have been pretty good at the same time? 20-30 years?

ma-gaga
12-03-2001, 08:54 AM
But how long has it been since both teams have been pretty good at the same time? 20-30 years?

There's the key. I don't think the Twins have any 'natural' rivals. Obviously there was the incident at the Metrodome with the Yankees and Knoblauch, and the Twins didn't like Cleveland showing them up this year, but no real rivalry between the Twinks and Sox. Rivalries take time to build, and it's not really a rivalry if one team dominates the other like the Twins did to the Sox or like Cleveland did to the Twins last year.

Being old, I know that the Twins haven't had a decent rivalry since Oakland back in 1987-1992. This upcoming season, assuming there is baseball and the Twins, the Sox need to win a couple more games against the Twins for a rivalry. Some attitude and swagger would help. Maybe Carlos Lee doing his Barry Bonds 360 after a two run jack. Maybe Thomas running over Mientkiewicz/Pierzinsky. Maybe a beanball to that punk Hocking... Whatever, baseball prospectus did a piece on rivalries a couple of months back. Or maybe it was just Neyer on ESPN.

:)