PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Injured Again

TheOldRoman
09-07-2005, 01:25 AM
Remember all the people that were screaming for KW to take on all of Griffey's salary? Lunatics like CarlosMay'sThumb called Kenny out for "toiling while Rome burned" and claimed Williams should be fired for letting us fall apart and doing nothing. They claimed there was no way we could go .500 the rest of the way. At the time the offense was bad, we were losing, and destined to miss the playoffs. Kenny tried his hardest, we know that, but he couldn't get it done.

Some times it's the trades you don't make.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2153942 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2153942)

Imagine the venom spewed on this board and the mass suicides if we would have gotten Griffey. I feel sorry for Junior. I really thought he had past all this garbage, but I guess he never will.
I'm just glad Kenny didn't share the point of view of some people here "Pay his entire contract, get him here or we will miss the playoffs". I wanted Junior almost as bad as anyone, but I supported Kenny in his decision. Before people say "Kenny would have given anything, the Reds wouldn't trade him" remember, EVERYBODY has a price. If the Sox offered enough, Griffey would have come here, PR backlash or not. Kenny could have brought the future hall of famer here for some great prospects if he picked up enough money, and he would have been worth it if he was guaranteed healthy, but we had to consider his health history.

Optipessimism
09-07-2005, 01:31 AM
I bet the Reds are glad they don't have Chris Young now.

Soxzilla
09-07-2005, 01:32 AM
I love Griffey, he is my favorite player. But damn if this doesn't taste like sweet justice.

Have fun getting rid of him in the offseason Lindner.

YOU TOOL!:bandance:

TheOldRoman
09-07-2005, 01:36 AM
I love Griffey, he is my favorite player. But damn if this doesn't taste like sweet justice.

During the past month I had checked often on Redszone. Many of these smartasses said "put a foot on their throat, demand their top 3 prospects AND his entire contract picked up", some of them said "let them suffer, I like seeing Chicago fail", while other laughed at the Sox and said we were a bad team and would do nothing in the playoffs (while praising the mighty Indians' chances). They laughed at the "pathetic free falling Sox" and most wanted Griffey to stay with the Reds because "they could compete next year". They must be sick to their stomachs now.

Oh well, skies are clear in Chicago (south of Madison, at least).
:)
This is a horrible thing, but I can't say I feel sorry for a fanbase who last saw a world champion 15 years ago.

mdep524
09-07-2005, 01:38 AM
Poor Griffey... just can't seem to get it together for a full season. Those numbers he has up now (.301 35 HR 92 RBI) are awfully good though.

This also goes to show that DHing was not the answer to his injury woes, as this injury (along with a couple of his previous ones) occurred while running the bases.

NonetheLoaiza
09-07-2005, 01:38 AM
My heart goes out to the guy. Griffey has worked so hard the past couple years trying to regain his form, and he finally did so that this could happen. I wish him the best in the future.

mr_genius
09-07-2005, 01:56 AM
good thing lazy Ken Williams didn't trade McCarthy away for Griffey

santo=dorf
09-07-2005, 02:28 AM
Remember all the people that were screaming for KW to take on all of Griffey's salary? Lunatics like CarlosMay'sThumb called Kenny out for "toiling while Rome burned" and claimed Williams should be fired for letting us fall apart and doing nothing.

Oh don't worry, if the Sox lose two in a row they'll come right back out talking about how stupid KW is for almost trading Young, Rogo, and Brandon for Griffey.

:rolleyes:

TDog
09-07-2005, 02:30 AM
good thing lazy Ken Williams didn't trade McCarthy away for Griffey

Certainly, McCarthy had the better day Monday. I hope he proves worth keeping. Maybe dealing Griffey for far more than he is worth would have been the easy, even lazy thing to do, considering how so many were convinced it had to be done.

Even a healthy Griffey would be no guarantee of postseason offensive success. Great regular season players sometimes tank in the playoffs. It isn't like Griffey has established himself as a Mr. October.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-07-2005, 02:40 AM
But damn if this doesn't taste like sweet justice.

I know that the official WSI line is that we don't rejoice in other teams' injuries, but this is one I feel "less bad" about.

The Reds, their owners and front office people, their fans, even Griffey himself seemed to get off on toying with the Sox prior to the trading deadline. They had something we desperately wanted (and by all accounts were willing to grossly overpay for), and they spent a month watching us twist on the end of the line, all the while knowing the deal would never happen. It got to the point at the end of August that I was torn between wanting Griffey here and wanting to wipe that stupid smug smirk off of his face. What a tease.

Once again, KW proves his genius just as Lindner & Co. showcase their stupidity.

IowaSox1971
09-07-2005, 03:00 AM
Who's to say Griffey would have gotten hurt if we had acquired him? He might have hit 10 homers for us in September. Injuries are freak things.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-07-2005, 03:08 AM
It does make me feel a little like a murdering, psycho ex-boyfriend from the movies:

"If I can't have you, then NO ONE can!"
(Insert maniacal laugh and/or knife slashing music here)

TheOldRoman
09-07-2005, 03:13 AM
I know that the official WSI line is that we don't rejoice in other teams' injuries, but this is one I feel "less bad" about.

The Reds, their owners and front office people, their fans, even Griffey himself seemed to get off on toying with the Sox prior to the trading deadline. They had something we desperately wanted (and by all accounts were willing to grossly overpay for), and they spent a month watching us twist on the end of the line, all the while knowing the deal would never happen. It got to the point at the end of August that I was torn between wanting Griffey here and wanting to wipe that stupid smug smirk off of his face. What a tease.

Once again, KW proves his genius just as Lindner & Co. showcase their stupidity.
I disagree with the part about Griffey. He didn't toy with anyone. He truly wanted to come here. He was far too classy to hold a team hostage and demand a trade. The Reds were too spineless to trade him without making him the bad guy. Griffey would have excepted a trade here, as he said "When you are a kid you dont talk about how much money you will make, you talk about hitting a walk off homer in the bottom of the 9th in game 7". He said all the right things "these are my teammates and this is my city, and until anything changes, I have to give my all to them", but he also said "I would rather win" when asked if he wanted to stay in Cincy. Griffey wanted to come here to win a championship, and it now looks very fortunate that we didn't get him.

At least he can look at Frank's ring when they golf together in the offseason.

TheOldRoman
09-07-2005, 03:16 AM
Who's to say Griffey would have gotten hurt if we had acquired him? He might have hit 10 homers for us in September. Injuries are freak things.
Nobody is saying that THIS exact injury would happen, but the point is that he was way too much of a risk. He has a history of injuries. They are all freak injuries, but he is somehow much more likely to get injured than most other players.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-07-2005, 03:51 AM
I disagree with the part about Griffey. He didn't toy with anyone. He truly wanted to come here. He was far too classy to hold a team hostage and demand a trade...
Deep down, I know you're right. I guess I'm just displacing my frustration over the whole trading deadline experience: all the anticipation and waiting, constantly checking the thread updates for news, idiot Levineline and his rumors; couple that with the month-long sleepy-time for our offense, which had many of us believing that Griffey was the one thing the Sox were missing.

Junior was at the center of all this, and is by far the most visible of all the parties involved (I wouldn't know Carl Lindner if he walked up and punched me in the mouth). Hence, by putting a face to my frustration, Griffey absorbs some of the blame, unfair though it may be.

wdelaney72
09-07-2005, 09:26 AM
While I don't wish anyone to suffer any kind of an injury... well, excluding David Wells, Clemens, and Bonds, I will say "I love karma".

mccoydp
09-07-2005, 09:36 AM
I hate it for Griffey, as I was enjoying his resurgent season this year.

However, I'm glad the Sox didn't nab him, primarily because of his injury history.

MUsoxfan
09-07-2005, 10:08 AM
There go the Reds playoff hopes

Mohoney
09-07-2005, 03:14 PM
I think Griffey is one of the all-time poster boys for getting rid of that stupid AstroTurf once and for all. The fact that most of his injuries are lower body injuries makes me wonder just how much of a toll was taken by playing on AstroTurf for 11 1/2 of his first 12 seasons, with the only exception being the 2nd half of 1999, when Safeco Field opened.

It's very debatable, but I think that AstroTurf hampered his career.

Flight #24
09-07-2005, 03:17 PM
FWIW, the Reds have said they expect him back this year. But per Redszone.com, they're about as believable as the FO on the north side when it comes to injuries.

I bet they're looking forward to paying that salary to a guy who'll be forced to play the field every day!

StockdaleForVeep
09-07-2005, 04:34 PM
:hawk
"Where he gonna play now DJ?"

Baby Fisk
09-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Barring a trade, this could have been Griffey's last best chance at a World Series run. Too bad so sad...

LongLiveFisk
09-07-2005, 05:10 PM
His injury problems are precisely the reason I didn't want the Sox to pick him up. Sure he's a great player....when he's playing. I don't wish anything bad on the guy but he seems way too injury prone to me.