PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Please Don't Let Chris Widger Run Again Ever Postgame Thread 9/6/05

cheeses_h_rice
09-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Phew, that was close!

BeviBall!
09-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Good news is Hermy's back!

cheeses_h_rice
(Sweet) 16

LuzinskiFan
Magic #'s 16 For The Division And 21 For Home Field!!!

NSSoxFan
Another game played, another win, another day closer to celebrating.

:bandance:

Unregistered
:winner

The biggest thing about this game for me was the fact that Hermanson came out and dominated. I was starting to worry about him being healthy, considering we hadn't seen him in a while...

The Dude
09-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Thank you once again PK! Nice job by Hermy to shut them down in the 9th.

Marte with another shaky outing. Hopefully he can get back to old form for the playoffs.

ilsox7
Good win. Any time your worst starter pitches as well as Orlando did and gets the win, it's a good evening. Only downer was Marte, but he isn't bad for your last man out of the Pen.

I believe that's 6 wins in a row now.

FielderJones
Widger running didn't bother me nearly as much as Marte. It's getting annoying.

But hey, another game off the schedule, magic number down to 16, and sunny skies ahead!

SoxSpeed22
I get back, they're up 5-0, it becomes 6-5, I change clothes. The bottom line is...

tschneid83
09-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Can we please trade Konerko.......

:roflmao:

GO SOX

itsnotrequired
09-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Six in a row. Sweet!:supernana:

MRKARNO
09-06-2005, 10:58 PM
PK's on fire. Hermanson is unstoppable. Vizcaino has become reliable. So has Marte, but not in a good way. Politte is looking good again. Uribe's new stance looks like it's working. Everyone but Everett got a hit. The Royals, in spite of the score, don't look like they belong in the same baseball league as the White Sox. The Magic number is 16 and we're about a week and a half to two weeks away from our celebratory division-clinching game. All is good for this White Sox fan! :thumbsup:

ElDuque26
09-06-2005, 10:59 PM
big #7 tomorrow...cant be much more confident than having Contreras on the mound...how bout uribe's surge

PAPChiSox729
09-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Six in a row. Sweet!:supernana:

Yeah, but we had a seven game losing streak. We still have to get one more win to even get back to where we already were. We are no better at all.
:rolleyes:

Brian26
I love it when Hawk is really relaxed about a possible triple up until the guy gets to second base, but then he gets really excited when he starts going to third. Case in point, Ozuna's triple to RCF tonight. It had triple written all over it as soon as it split the outfielders, but Hawk's got to get all dramatic on us:

:hawk

"Pablo rounding second (yawn), AND NOW HE'S GONNA TURN IT ON AND GO FOR THREE. AND THE THROW....NOT IN TIME!"

"I love to watch Pablo run."

voodoochile

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

I'm very much enjoying this right now...

Brian26
09-06-2005, 11:01 PM
George Offman trying to stir up **** in the postgame press conference with Ozzie asking if BMac will take Duque's next start. :rolleyes:

The Dude
09-06-2005, 11:02 PM
George Offman trying to stir up **** in the postgame press conference with Ozzie asking if BMac will take Duque's next start. :rolleyes:

Screw Offman and everyone at WSCR!:angry:

Frankfan4life
09-06-2005, 11:02 PM
I didn't see the whole game because I was at work. What I did see was a serious case of bullpen behaving badly.

But, a win is a win and I'm happy to get one no matter what it looks like.
Magic number = 16 Yeah, baby, yeah! :bandance:

mr_genius
09-06-2005, 11:03 PM

haha, yeah i herad that

"man, you guy really like McCarthy".

funny stuff

DickAllen72
Good news is Hermy's back!

I wonder if he'll be available to pitch tomorrow.

ilsox7
I didn't see the whole game because I was at work. What I did see was a serious case of bullpen behaving badly.

But, a win is a win and I'm happy to get one no matter what it looks like.
Magic number = 16 Yeah, baby, yeah! :bandance:

No worries. It was our last man out of the pen having 2 bad batters. Cotts was a little shaky but not awful. Viz and Hermy were lights out.

Chips
09-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Hell yeah, great game. Way to go walnuts.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-06-2005, 11:08 PM
HE GONE!
The Herminator is back...

16! 16! :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance:

delben91
09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Not the prettiest game, but it's a W, and who cares about style points? Not me.

Solid if not spectacular night by El Duque, and the offense was there when it had to be.

Make it 7 straight tomorrow boys. GO SOX!! :gulp:

soxjim
09-06-2005, 11:11 PM
One game to go before the core of the core. Magic number has shrunk to a SWEET 16.:winner

bahn1225
09-06-2005, 11:11 PM

There's your dream team:
George and Ed in the booth . . .

MarySwiss
09-06-2005, 11:16 PM
How disgusting is this if you're a Tribe fan? :(:

But then again, none of us are! :D:

JB98
09-06-2005, 11:18 PM
I thought the Sox let up a little bit after they got that big lead early on. It almost came back to bite them, but all is well that ends well.

I can't for the life of me understand what Joey Cora is doing. With two outs, take a risk. I don't have a problem with that. But with no outs and the top of the batting order coming up? Just stupid.

El Duque is fine through six innings. I wish Ozzie would go to the bullpen to start the seventh inning. He always waits until the other team has a rally going before he pulls the plug on Duque.

Very encouraging ninth inning by Hermanson. I was pleased to see him leave Sweeney in the on-deck circle. And he used his fastball to strike two guys out. He didn't try to trick people. He attacked them with the heater.

PeteWard
09-06-2005, 11:26 PM

i really think they are focused on the wild card by now and they have a good chance to win it, so I don't think there is too much disgust. I think they are probably pretty happy.

Shafe72
09-06-2005, 11:27 PM
I realize the title of this thread is (at least somewhat) tongue-in-cheek, but Widger getting thrown out on the bases twice should be attributed almost entirely to coaching....Cora sending him in order to get struggling Ozuna a RBI and then Ozzie putting the hit and run on (in which Pablo "swung" trying to protect the runner).

This aggressive brand of baseball comes with the price of guys getting thrown out on the basepaths occasionally, kind of like we saw yesterday in Boston.

But as we also saw, it really gets in the heads of opposing pitchers. I was at Fenway yesterday and there was palpable sense of fear whenever the Good Guys had men on base. This NEEDS to continue.

This very phenomenon will lead to pitchers serving up gopher balls and us getting some insurance runs late in the game when we need it.

It doesn't become excessive until rallies are consistently killed because of reckless baserunning.

ChiSoxGirl
09-06-2005, 11:33 PM
El Duque brought his good stuff tonight, except for when he gave up that homerun. I was hoping Guillen would've pulled him one batter sooner and when he didn't, I was having small visions of last Wednesday in Texas. Thank goodness that deja vu didn't prevail!
Walnuts is on fire, and it couldn't have arrived at a better time! :bandance: Almost everyone in the lineup contributed in some way, which is wonderful to see. The bottom of the lineup has been clutch at the plate, setting the table for Pods & Iguchi at the top- PERFECTO! The offensive slump that was also known as August is history and we're on our way, baby! :D: I luuuv shrinking that Magic Number! :supernana:

LostInLeftField
09-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Wow is Konerko seeing the ball well right now.

Everything coming off his bat is sharply hit.

He, Uribe and Rowand might be hitting their stride at precisely the right time of the season-- playoff time.

johnnyg83
09-06-2005, 11:45 PM
What was up with the crowd, only 14K?

They were playing Kansas City, not playing in Kansas City. Come on Sox fans support these guys -- they're 34 over and close to clinching.

JGarlandrules20
09-06-2005, 11:46 PM
I liked Pablo's hit and run swing. :D:

Ol' No. 2
09-06-2005, 11:46 PM

They were playing Kansas City, not playing in Kansas City. Come on Sox fans support these guys -- they're 34 over and close to clinching.:hawk clears throat...

voodoochile
09-06-2005, 11:50 PM

They were playing Kansas City, not playing in Kansas City. Come on Sox fans support these guys -- they're 34 over and close to clinching.

30 days has September... See you in October...

The Dude
09-06-2005, 11:51 PM

Geeze, how many more people are gonna go down tonight?? People dont learn.

ilsox7
09-07-2005, 12:05 AM
This may be a question for Lip, but does anyone know the last time a Sox team had all 5 starters win at least 10 games in a season? We are one Orlando win away from that happening. Pretty amazing!

Foulke You
09-07-2005, 12:10 AM
I thought the Sox let up a little bit after they got that big lead early on. It almost came back to bite them, but all is well that ends well.

Agreed. I think the team was coasting a bit there in the 7th and 8th and kind've laid off KC but they closed them out and got the W. The game wasn't as close as the score would appear. Also, as much as I love El Duque, he does have a "human rain delay" side to him and sometimes really shuts it down and works slowly. Today's game was 3+ hrs and it wasn't really a slugfest. Of course, a W is a W.

I also never grow tired of lighting up Jose Lima and handing him another L. That guy needs to thank the architect of the Astrodome that he even has a career right now.

It was nice to see Hermy out there today. I hope that back problem doesn't flare up on him in October. Today's Sun-Times hinted that there were some days Hermanson can pitch and other days he can't because the problem flares up which is why we carry the extra pitcher. There is a distinct possibility Hermanson won't be the exclusive closer in the postseason which is kind've a shame.

TaylorStSox
09-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Anybody notice the change in Politte? He's lost about 4-5 MPH on his fastball and he's throwing a ton of sliders. He's even working in a 2 seamer to compensate. I hope he's alrite. He's going to be vital in the post season.

JB98
09-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Agreed. I think the team was coasting a bit there in the 7th and 8th and kind've laid off KC but they closed them out and got the W. The game wasn't as close as the score would appear. Also, as much as I love El Duque, he does have a "human rain delay" side to him and sometimes really shuts it down and works slowly. Today's game was 3+ hrs and it wasn't really a slugfest. Of course, a W is a W.

Earlier in the season, I think the Royals laid down and died for us. Maybe the Sox were anticipating that to happen again. You have to give some credit to Kansas City. They are a terrible team, and they have reason in the world to pack it in. But they played a full nine innings tonight, and they almost got us.

Brian26
09-07-2005, 12:23 AM
This may be a question for Lip, but does anyone know the last time a Sox team had all 5 starters win at least 10 games in a season? We are one Orlando win away from that happening. Pretty amazing!

I'll let Lip verify this, but I think it was '83. Hoyt, Dotson, Bannister were 24,22, and 16 wins respectively. Koosman and Burns either had 11 and 10 or vice versa, but they both just barely made the cut. Pretty sure that was the last one. In '93, we only had 4 guys do it.

Foulke You
09-07-2005, 12:24 AM
Earlier in the season, I think the Royals laid down and died for us. Maybe the Sox were anticipating that to happen again. You have to give some credit to Kansas City. They are a terrible team, and they have reason in the world to pack it in. But they played a full nine innings tonight, and they almost got us.
I also think KC has a keeper there in Emil Brown. That two run homer was crushed and he has pretty damn good numbers. The guy looks to be a pretty solid young stud.

I thought Hawk jinxed us when he said, "C'mon Hermy, we need a 1-2-3 inning here, you want to keep Sweeney in that on deck circle". I had a terrible vision of Sweeney stepping to the plate and killing us late with another HR. Alas, he didn't get the chance!:cool:

ilsox7
09-07-2005, 12:24 AM

Yea, unlike Detroit who has completely laid down.

At least the Royals just flat-out suck and don't quit on the season.

Huisj
09-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Anybody notice the change in Politte? He's lost about 4-5 MPH on his fastball and he's throwing a ton of sliders. He's even working in a 2 seamer to compensate. I hope he's alrite. He's going to be vital in the post season.

I've noticed this a bit too. His K's have dropped a whole lot from earlier in the year too. His ERA is still fine at around 2, and he isn't exactly getting hit a whole lot, but he doesn't seem dominating like he was through about the end of june and into july. He was throwing heat back then and going right after guys, and it looks like he's been trying to be a little cautious lately with lots of sliders away.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Don't look now, but the Sox currently have 4 everyday players (5 if you count Pablo, since he's playing every day now) hitting at or above .280!

Nice jobs by Pods and Iguchi to maintain all season, and by Paulie and Rowand to overcome horrendous (especially PK) starts.

Honorable Mention to Dye for his .270 average, after flirting with the Borchard Line (.150) for the first month or so.

Are any of them likely to crack .300 by season's end? Not that it matters, of course...grand scheme and all...:cool:

Nellie_Fox
09-07-2005, 12:46 AM
I'll let Lip verify this, but I think it was '83. Hoyt, Dotson, Bannister were 24,22, and 16 wins respectively. Koosman and Burns either had 11 and 10 or vice versa, but they both just barely made the cut. Pretty sure that was the last one. In '93, we only had 4 guys do it.Koosman 11, Burns 10, confirmed via baseball-reference.com. They also had four guys with 10 or more in 1990 and 2000.

You don't have to wait for Lip, it's easy to look up these things.

Soxfanspcu11
09-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Do all of you remember when september started and we all made predictions about the sox record??? Me and a few others said 30-0. Well, now its 6-0, and if they keep playing like this! well.......dont worry, this is not a jinx, I am knocking on wood with my fingers crossed while I type. Figure, out toughest series the rest of the season is with Losangeles/anaheim/california/orangecounty/sanfernandovalley/southerncalifornia Angles, I really think it could happen! Im not trying to count my chickens just yet, but the way its looking!!!! Remember the 83 Sox finished their season on a tear, not quite 30-0, but this sox team will be the first to do it!

THIS.IS.HOW.WE.DO.

hose
09-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Good to see Hermy shut 'em down.:bandance:

The play where Widger got thrown out had me wondering what Joey was thinking of. First off Chris got a terrible jump and looked like he froze for a split second to make sure the ball was going through. As he was just hitting 3rd I knew he had no chance and was really shocked to see Joey send him.

PicktoCLick72
09-07-2005, 01:32 AM
One word 16

spiffie
09-07-2005, 03:33 AM
I guess these guys just really disliked the month of August. Nice to see that September is looking like the Sox we'd seen the rest of the year.

It's nice to be back to having my biggest worry about this team be "how am I going to miss all the work/school I'll need to miss to watch the playoffs" :bandance:

soxrme
09-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Good to see Hermy shut 'em down.:bandance:

The play where Widger got thrown out had me wondering what Joey was thinking of. First off Chris got a terrible jump and looked like he froze for a split second to make sure the ball was going through. As he was just hitting 3rd I knew he had no chance and was really shocked to see Joey send him.

It was a good win, but every time Cora sends another slow runner (Crede Konorko, Pyz, Widger) Hawk and DJ talk about what a great 3rd base coach he is. That was a bonehead call and they tried to downplay it even though you could tell in their voices that they did not like the play either. It is ok to criticize sometime.:?:

cbone
09-07-2005, 06:59 AM
I fell asleep at 5-0 Missed all the excitement. :o:

gobears1987
09-07-2005, 08:35 AM
There's your dream team:
George and Ed in the booth . . .

Pull over to the side of the road
:tealpolice:

Dan H
09-07-2005, 10:11 AM

I just wonder what Eric Zorn's toxic number is.

Brian26
09-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Koosman 11, Burns 10, confirmed via baseball-reference.com. They also had four guys with 10 or more in 1990 and 2000.

I looked it up on retrosheet before I posted, but I like to make Lip feel special :D:

HChappasJr
09-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Come on, it was a botched hit-and-run. You can't criticize every move. If Pablo drives one through the right side, the move was "brilliant" right?

Brian26
09-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Koosman 11, Burns 10, confirmed via baseball-reference.com. They also had four guys with 10 or more in 1990 and 2000.

Just going a little research on this....we also had 5 starters with 10+ wins in '82 (Hoyt, Dotson, Lamp, Burns, Koosman). In 1981, we would have easily had 5 starters with 10+ wins if the strike hadn't happened.