PDA

View Full Version : Lloyd McClendon...HE GONE!

Viva Medias B's
09-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Pirates fire manager Lloyd McClendon, per ESPNEWS.

MUsoxfan
09-06-2005, 03:22 PM
That's too bad. I like him. Too bad he pitches as well as his rotation. I hate how managers are the first to go when they have garbage to manage.

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Well, the Cubs won't have Lloyd's Pirates to kick around anymore.... :D:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-06-2005, 03:36 PM
When you finish behind the cubs, it is only a matter of time before ownership finds it unacceptable.

Pittsburgh was never a big baseball city - The Steelers are their #1, 2, 3 and beyond passions. They didn't sell out the 1979 World Series. After the breakup of their early 1990s playoff teams it has been the pits for this team. Ownership cannot afford to bring up payroll. They have a nice stadium but attendance has fallen off drastically after the novelty wore out. With the current economic structure of the game they will never be a serious contender again.

veeter
09-06-2005, 03:43 PM
I hope they get Leyland back. Although he's not going to be a part of rebuilding. McClenden got a raw deal. God the GM there is awful.

Hangar18
09-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Cam Bonifay messed this team up for years to come. Compounding
this, the only good players they DID have and which they couldve turned into
solid minor-league prospects (like what the A's and Twins do), they instead
gave away to the Cubs for their worst minor league prospects.
Dumb Franchise

White Sox Randy
09-06-2005, 04:06 PM
I don't blame them, after they signed all those big-name, expensive free agents for him - and he still didn't finish ahead of the Cardinals.

A_ROW33
09-06-2005, 04:08 PM
I liked Lloyd. I believe he attended Valparaiso university. He's a good baseball man, I think he was a pretty good manager, just had a poor team which pulled off idiot trades. He won't be jobless too long.

SOXintheBURGH
09-06-2005, 04:47 PM
I liked Lloyd. I believe he attended Valparaiso university. He's a good baseball man, I think he was a pretty good manager, just had a poor team which pulled off idiot trades. He won't be jobless too long.

Lloyd did go to Valpo. He's a great manager, just didn't have anything to work with. Shame for him.

BigEdWalsh
09-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Pity whoever his replacement turns out to be.:violin:

Ol' No. 2
09-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Pity whoever his replacement turns out to be.:violin:Why would anybody take that job? :dunno:

buehrle4cy05
09-06-2005, 05:10 PM
I hope he becomes a manager of a good team...he really didn't deserve that pile of **** that they called a team in Pittsburgh.

StillMissOzzie
09-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Why would anybody take that job? :dunno:

I have often wondered that myself. It's definitely a job you can expect to be fired from (as most managers are) but IMHO, the answer is the same reason that Dave Wills took the radio job with the lowly Devil Rays:

It's MLB. There are only 30 managers, there are only 30 radio PBP voices. It's more exclusive club than the US Senate, and probably a lot more interesting.

SMO
:gulp:

Irishsox1
09-06-2005, 05:14 PM
I thought Lloyd was a horrible manager. His out of control rants towards umpires which resulted in him getting kicked out all the time are traits of an unsuccessful manager. The Pirates weren't loaded with talent, but I felt that he mismanaged the starting pitching, bullpen and made poor game day decisions. The guy deserved to be fired two years ago. Hopefully the new manager will be able to build around Zack Duke and get them at least near .500 baseball.

DumpJerry
09-06-2005, 05:22 PM
:jerry

"Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........let me call my agent."

RKMeibalane
09-07-2005, 12:03 AM

I also thought of him when I read that. I fully expect him to at least interview for the position.

Foulke You
09-07-2005, 12:19 AM

Y'know, I may get flamed for this but the Pirates would be a perfect fit for Jerry. We all know he is low key and very good with young players. He brought the "kids can play" Sox from point A to B but as we all know he is definitely NOT a point B to C manager. Plus, there is absolutely no pressure to win in Pittsburgh. If he wins, great, if not, he is just like every other Pirates manager of recent vintage.

WinningUgly!
09-07-2005, 01:53 AM
Pity whoever his replacement turns out to be.:violin:

Let the Jimmy Leyland rumors begin. :rolleyes:

SABRSox
09-07-2005, 01:56 AM
I'm glad Lloyd is gone. It took him forever to give some of the young guys in the Pirates organization (Duffy, Eldred, Doumit, etc.) some playing time, when it was clear they were out of it, instead running out has-been's and never was' like Daryle Ward and Humberto Cota. Those young guys have some talent, and if the Cubs don't steal them first, the Pirates may be able to do something in about 5 years. Firing McClendon was the first step.

Though, I wonder if he took first base with him on the way out...

Sox Blue 69-70
09-07-2005, 04:19 PM
McClendon had been there not a little while and wasn't working any miracles, but firing him and citing the reasons they (Pirates management) did was taking the easy way out. A ML baseball team just isn't going to be successful these days with a mid-$30m payroll, no matter who the manager is.

Yes, the Leyland rumors are flying already, but why he would want to go back without some serious tangible evidence of the ownership's commitment to restoring a winning team is beyond me. That's the reason he left in the first place.

antitwins13
09-08-2005, 07:42 PM
He's Like Jerry Manuel and Ozzie combined into one perfect manager. How can he be fired?:angry: :angry: