PDA

View Full Version : Chicago media ignores Rooney departure

32nd&Wallace
09-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Second longest consecutive tenured Chicago play by play announcer next to Pat Foley (Hawk has been longer, but departred for three years) is leaving Chicago - and not even a Mariotti article? Here's a time when we could use him.

His departure has been relegated to very little coverage in media notes sections n the Tribune and barely 18 inches of copy in Saturday's paper when the story broke.

Strange, Chip Caray's departure got FRONT PAGE coverage last year in the Sun-Times and a few of the local newscasts led off with it on the last day of the year.

JohnBasedowYoda
09-06-2005, 03:03 PM
he's not gone yet

Hangar18
09-06-2005, 03:09 PM
What the Chicago Media is doing, is very SMOOOOOOOOOOOOTH.
They are purposely IGNORING this, so that when the Cubs make their move
in the offseason to Sign John Rooney, they will FRONT PAGE and BACK PAGE
this for days ................. The Media will credit the Cubs for their "long standing tradition of excellent announcers" and hail the Cubs for having the brains to pull this off. Just watch.

Brian26
09-06-2005, 03:31 PM
so that when the Cubs make their move
in the offseason to Sign John Rooney,

:hawk

"Where's he going to do play-by-play?"

skobabe8
09-06-2005, 03:42 PM
:hawk

"Where's he going to do play-by-play?"

excellent!

lol

TheOldRoman
09-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Second longest consecutive tenured Chicago play by play announcer next to Pat Foley (Hawk has been longer, but departred for three years) is leaving Chicago - and not even a Mariotti article? Here's a time when we could use him.

His departure has been relegated to very little coverage in media notes sections n the Tribune and barely 18 inches of copy in Saturday's paper when the story broke.

Strange, Chip Caray's departure got FRONT PAGE coverage last year in the Sun-Times and a few of the local newscasts led off with it on the last day of the year.
Are you kidding? If Moronotti wrote about it, it would turn into another ignorant attack on Reinsdorf, completely without fact.
He would say that this is a horrible PR move and another in the long line of bad moves by the Sox. He would then say that Reinsdorf it too cheap to pay for the best radio announcer in the game, and his cheapness extends to the payroll, which will undoubtedly be cut in half this offseason. A few more paragraphs filled with excrement later, and he will wrap it up by talking about us lowly sox fans needed "ownership that cares about us" and telling us to become Cubs fans.

cheeses_h_rice
09-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Are you kidding? If Moronotti wrote about it, it would turn into another ignorant attack on Reinsdorf, completely without fact.
He would say that this is a horrible PR move and another in the long line of bad moves by the Sox. He would then say that Reinsdorf it too cheap to pay for the best radio announcer in the game, and his cheapness extends to the payroll, which will undoubtedly be cut in half this offseason. A few more paragraphs filled with excrement later, and he will wrap it up by talking about us lowly sox fans needed "ownership that cares about us" and telling us to become Cubs fans.

:moron

"Hey, no peeking!"

Dick Allen
09-06-2005, 04:31 PM
He would say that this is a horrible PR move and another in the long line of bad moves by the Sox. He would then say that Reinsdorf it too cheap to pay for the best radio announcer in the game, and his cheapness extends to the payroll, which will undoubtedly be cut in half this offseason. A few more paragraphs filled with excrement later, and he will wrap it up by talking about us lowly sox fans needed "ownership that cares about us" and telling us to become Cubs fans.I think you just took Mariotti's job away from him. Thanks!

Tekijawa
09-06-2005, 04:41 PM
????

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050905mitchell,1,4137116.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility

LauraJ14
09-06-2005, 05:06 PM

Strange, Chip Caray's departure got FRONT PAGE coverage last year in the Sun-Times and a few of the local newscasts led off with it on the last day of the year.]

The Daily Herald had a big section in the Sox notes about rooney leaving. More than 1 paragraph, although not on the back page.

mterraza
09-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Did someone say Mariotti!!?? :?:

bennyw41
09-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Would you want this to be a distraction to the greatest season in over 15 years, seems like people are looking for anything to complain about. The Sox are doing a good job of keeping this low profile, so that the media doesn't blame a contractual debate into a field issue. I think many of you are missing the point here.

kevingrt
09-06-2005, 05:49 PM
this for days ................. The Media will credit the Cubs for their "long standing tradition of excellent announcers" and hail the Cubs for having the brains to pull this off. Just watch.

If Rooney went to the Cubs I think I would puke my guts out for like five days straight. It would be one of the most ugly scene for me as a White Sox fan. Rooney has to stay and I hope he realizes that all White Sox Nation wants him to stay on the southside.

Fenway
09-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Did someone say Mariotti!!?? :?:

You can rest assured Rooney has a very nice offer from another broadcast outlet

HINT

a certain radio station that just picked up the broadcast rights for a MLB team is looking for a strong voice to anchor its broadcasts. Their current play by play man who also owns a steak house will be going back to a color role in 2006.

The job in question would be a dream job for Rooney who was just inducted into that teams state sports hall of fame.

The job was offered to Bob Costas who declined, Rooney was the second choice.

Nellie_Fox
09-06-2005, 06:04 PM
...I hope he realizes that all White Sox Nation wants him to stay on the southside.Please don't say "White Sox Nation." Let's not attach ourselves to trends started by other teams.

Daver
09-06-2005, 06:09 PM

Hangar, it's time to change the tinfoil.

mantis1212
09-06-2005, 06:23 PM
You can rest assured Rooney has a very nice offer from another broadcast outlet

HINT

a certain radio station that just picked up the broadcast rights for a MLB team is looking for a strong voice to anchor its broadcasts. Their current play by play man who also owns a steak house will be going back to a color role in 2006.

The job in question would be a dream job for Rooney who was just inducted into that teams state sports hall of fame.

The job was offered to Bob Costas who declined, Rooney was the second choice.

OK, I did a search, you're saying Rooney's going to St. Louis? Whose their current play-by-play man?

Dick Allen
09-06-2005, 06:30 PM
If Rooney went to the Cubs I think I would puke my guts out for like five days straight. It would be one of the most ugly scene for me as a White Sox fan. Rooney has to stay and I hope he realizes that all White Sox Nation wants him to stay on the southside.You weren't around when Harry left the Sox for the Cubs. I think we all puked when that happened.

Fenway
09-06-2005, 06:32 PM
OK, I did a search, you're saying Rooney's going to St. Louis? Whose their current play-by-play man?

Mike Shannon who moved over to the main play by play role after the death of Joe Buck. Shannon has never been comfortable with the role.

Just wondering......would Hawk consider a move to radio which would open up the TV side for someone like Gary Thorne or Sean McDonough?

32nd&Wallace
09-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Mike Shannon who moved over to the main play by play role after the death of Joe Buck. Shannon has never been comfortable with the role.

Just wondering......would Hawk consider a move to radio which would open up the TV side for someone like Gary Thorne or Sean McDonough?I've not heard many good things about Sean McDonough - personally or professionally. He comes across very arrogant on the air.

Plus, I think Reinsdorf will want to go with someone who has got some connection with the ballclub or Chicago. The Gary Thorne experiment lasted one year and did not go well.

32nd&Wallace
09-06-2005, 06:43 PM
OK, I did a search, you're saying Rooney's going to St. Louis? Whose their current play-by-play man?Wayne Hagin. Rooney's old partner from the early 1990s. Hagin has been in hot water since the Todd Helton incident and Cardinal fans do not like him.

Chisox003
09-06-2005, 06:51 PM

Too much to :gulp: perhaps?

I hope a Tinfoil readjustment is in the works

Edit: Didnt realize Daver also suggested the same ... My bad

Fenway
09-06-2005, 06:58 PM
I've not heard many good things about Sean McDonough - personally or professionally. He comes across very arrogant on the air.

Plus, I think Reinsdorf will want to go with someone who has got some connection with the ballclub or Chicago. The Gary Thorne experiment lasted one year and did not go well.

if you look at the statement on whitesox.com, Brooks is quoted

"Obviously, I'm disappointed because I'd love to keep John and Ed together," said Brooks Boyer, White Sox vice president of marketing and broadcasting. "I think there are just other things out there that John wants to explore."

Boyer said that Rooney informed the station and the team this weekend that he would not be returning to the booth. Boyer said that it was Rooney's decision alone not to come back. "He said, 'I want to explore other things; I want to do other things. I'm not going to work for what is being offered to me.'" Boyer said.

I can not believe that Infinity would want Farmer in the #1 slot. As an ex player he does a good job but he is one of these broadcasters that never changes his tone if the score is 2-1 or 17-2.

make no mistake, the White Sox job is probably in the Top 10 in MLB given the market size and WSCR's blowtorch signal.

EMel9281
09-06-2005, 07:23 PM
What about Dave Wills coming back to Chicago to team w/ Farmer?