PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Playoff Roster?

Crede_Fan
09-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Wondering what everyone thought the final 25 should be? Here's mine:

1 Pods
2 Iguchi
3 PK
4 Uribe
5 AJ
6 Widger
7 Everett
8 Dye
9 Rowand
10 Crede

11 Buehrle
12 Garland
13 Garcia
14 Politte
15 Cotts
16 Jenks
17 Hermanson
18 Marte
19 El Duque
20 Contreras

21 Willie (need his speed in a close game)
22 Timo
23 Pablo
24 un sure
25 un sure

with the 24 & 25th spots, I'm torn Blum/Gload/Thomas/Anderson/McCarthy

cleanwsox
09-06-2005, 10:59 AM
I'd go with BMac and Gload for the final two on your board.

Also, there is no way Blum doesn't make it.

my5thbench
09-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Is Gload even eligible? Blum will surely be there, & I would keep starting McCarthy during the regular season & if he keeps this up I'd start him in
the playoffs....odd starter out? who knows, Contreas has been hot.

CHISOXFAN13
09-06-2005, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't mind carrying 10 pitchers, but I don't believe that's the route the Sox will take. I'm not sure the Sox, for good or bad, leave Vizcaino off the roster after he spent the entire season on the active roster.

I think they go with 11 pitchers and 14 position players with a bench consisting of Harris, Blum, Widger, Ozuna and Perez.

Chez
09-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Blum and Vizcaino. I believe you can re-rack your roster before each round of the playoffs. Since you won't need either El Duque or Contreras in Round #1, you might consider plugging in Gload into that slot.

UofCSoxFan
09-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Blum will not be left off. Also, I don't see Gload being added. He has all of 13 at-bats at the major league level this year. If they wanted/expected him to be on the post-season roster he would have more.

McCarthy may or may not be on the playoff roster. If he keeps up this pitching it will be hard to leave him off. However, you don't need a ton of pitching (especially in the five game series) and there is no way he starts before any of the five guys that got us there. You don't want a rookie starting in the playoffs. It has happened before, but the playoffs are a whole other animal that can ruin a guy's career. See: Ankiel, Rick.

My roster for the first series is as follows (remember you can change every series)

Starters:
1. Konerko
2. Iguchi
3. Uribe
4. Crede (if healthy)
5. Pods
6. Rowand
7. Dye
8. Everett
9. AJ

Pitchers:
10. Buerhle
11. Garland
12. Garcia
13. Contreras
14. El Duque
15. Hermanson
16. Politte
17. Marte
18. Cotts
19. Jenks

Bench:
20. Ozuna
21. Blum
22. Timo
23. Widger
24. Willie Harris
25. Gload/Anderson....whoever gets more at-bats during last month.

I don't see Gload OR ANDERSON unless either starts getting more at-bats. I don't see Thomas being back. I don't see McCarthy over Vizcaino. And I don't see Vizcaino being used in the five game series. I would replace Gload/Anderson (or possibly Willie Harris) with Vizcaino for the seven game series, especially regarding Ozzies propensity to blow threw a bullpen.

The only way I see McCarthy being on the roster would be if one of our starters was injured. It would be nice to have him, but I just don't see us using him enough with a healthy rotation to justify taking away a bench spot that from someone that could be used as a late-inning defensive/offensive substitution.

SoxinAZ
09-06-2005, 11:30 AM
With Hermi still listed as day-to-day, I'd scratch him and go with Viz.

Brian26
09-06-2005, 12:14 PM
No way do you carry 11 pitchers into the playoffs. The key to winning, as Jack McKeon proved in 2003 and Dusty Baker didn't prove, is to use your best guns when your back is against the wall. If we're in a tight situation in Game 4 or Game 5 in the first round, late in the game, I want Buehrle or Garland warming up in the bullpen, not our 11th pitcher (Adkins, Viz or Bmac?). You let it all hang out when you're going for a championship. It's no longer a marathon at that point...it's a sprint.

Banix12
09-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't see Gload OR ANDERSON unless either starts getting more at-bats.

Total agreement and since neither are likely to get more AB's I don't really want to see either on the playoff roster.

I bet Gload gets a few AB's during this upcoming KC series but that will probably be about it for him. he better make the most of it because most of his AB's have come against KC this year and he didn't exactly tear the cover off the ball the first time.

Ol' No. 2
09-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Total agreement and since neither are likely to get more AB's I don't really want to see either on the playoff roster.

I bet Gload gets a few AB's during this upcoming KC series but that will probably be about it for him. he better make the most of it because most of his AB's have come against KC this year and he didn't exactly tear the cover off the ball the first time.There are 14 position players who are eligible for the playoff roster (not counting Frank Thomas). They will carry 14 position players, so there's really no question here. The only way another player gets on the playoff roster is if he gets substituted for Thomas. The only likely candidate is Gload, but for reasons unknown, they've treated him like a leper all year, and I don't see any reason to think that's going to change. Anderson doesn't have the experience to bump any of the 14.

ChiSoxRowand
09-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Is Gload even eligible? Blum will surely be there, & I would keep starting McCarthy during the regular season & if he keeps this up I'd start him in
the playoffs....odd starter out? who knows, Contreas has been hot.

Gload is eligible because Thomas is on the DL.

HChappasJr
09-06-2005, 03:35 PM
OK, here's what I'm thinking...

1. Pods
2. Iguchi
3. Everett
4. Pauly
5. A.J.
6. Dye
7. Aaron
8. Crede
9. Uribe
10. Timo
11. Widger
12. Pablo
13. Blum
14. Willie

15. Buehrle
16. Garland
17. Garcia
18. Contreras
19. El Duque
20. Hermanson
21. Marte
22. Politte
23. Cotts
24. Jenks

And the 25th spot goes to... Raul Casanova. I know, this sounds crazy, but let me explain. The Sox bench doesn't have anyone that puts fear in an opposing manager. Therefore, they're probably not going to do a lot of pinch hitting anyway which means they could use Willie or Pablo to pinch run for A.J. or Widger in a tight game, which the Sox always seem to play, and still have insurance at catcher. It would suck to have A.J. at second representing the tying run late in the game and not be able to pinch run for him. If your 25th man isn't going to play anyway, doesn't it make sense for him to be a catcher, just in case? Just a thought.

UofCSoxFan
09-06-2005, 03:46 PM
And the 25th spot goes to... Raul Casanova. I know, this sounds crazy, but let me explain. The Sox bench doesn't have anyone that puts fear in an opposing manager. Therefore, they're probably not going to do a lot of pinch hitting anyway which means they could use Willie or Pablo to pinch run for A.J. or Widger in a tight game, which the Sox always seem to play, and still have insurance at catcher. It would suck to have A.J. at second representing the tying run late in the game and not be able to pinch run for him. If your 25th man isn't going to play anyway, doesn't it make sense for him to be a catcher, just in case? Just a thought.

Is Cassanova eligible is my only question. It would be nice to have insurance, if nothing else because if AJ and Widger both get hurt you are screwed, but I don't even know if this is a possibility. It is not uncommon for teams to carry a third playoff catcher for this reason, but usually the guy provides a stick off the bench too.

Question...who would be the Sox third string catcher, God forbid the other two get hurt? My guess would be Blum....simply b/c he plays ever other position, and probably played some catcher throughout his career. Konerko may be another possibility, since I believe he started out in the minors as a catcher (good God did I just type that). I mean its probably moot...since any team would probably be screwed if it lost its top two catchers.