PDA

View Full Version : Air Raid Sirens

ChiFabulous1
09-06-2005, 09:23 AM
I know this has been brought up before, but do you think that the air raid sirens will be turned on again if the sox win the pennant?

I found this from the City Clerk of Chicago
http://www.chicityclerk.com/legislation/codes/chapter8_4.html#150
"8-4-150 Use of sirens for air raid alarms only.

For the duration of any war in which the United States is engaged no person, including without limiting the generality of the word "person", all persons........... upon an authorized emergency vehicle, shall sound a siren for any purpose. For the purposes of this section, the term "siren" shall not include a foghorn when used for the protection of navigation in and about the Chicago Harbor. This section shall not apply to any person officially designated by the mayor to sound a siren as an air raid alarm. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be fined not less than $100.00 nor more than $200.00 for each offense. (Prior code 193-6.1)"

mikehuff
09-06-2005, 10:42 AM
I don't think there's a chance of it.

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Not with the litigious American public freaked out over the danger of terrorist attacks, hurricanes and tornadoes. Richard M. Daley already is in enough legal hot water right now.

Iwritecode
09-06-2005, 11:12 AM
For $200 I'm sure we could find somebody to do it...

Rocky Soprano
09-06-2005, 11:14 AM
For $200 I'm sure we could find somebody to do it...

Hell I will do it and pay the $200.

Soxzilla
09-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Daley will do it. He knows what's up.

Lip Man 1
09-06-2005, 12:51 PM
In a word...no

Lip

Brian26
09-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Daley will do it. He knows what's up.

Yes, he knows what's up...the Feds crawling up his behind.

Sirens won't blare now. This is a little bit different than 1959 when his dad ruled the world.

miker
09-06-2005, 01:19 PM
They'd turn on the sirens for the Scrubs...but then that would be the end of the world.

chisoxfan64
09-06-2005, 01:22 PM
They'd turn on the sirens for the Scrubs...but then that would be the end of the world.

Rod would try to change the name of the state from Illinois to Wrigleyville.

LongLiveFisk
09-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Not with the litigious American public freaked out over the danger of terrorist attacks, hurricanes and tornadoes. Richard M. Daley already is in enough legal hot water right now.

Agreed...too many people would freak out. I mean, we love the Sox but some people have no clue what's going on with them and will think Armageddon has arrived. :cool:

antitwins13
09-11-2005, 06:59 PM
It's Daley, u know he'll do this:bandance:

SOXSINCE'70
09-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Save the sirens for something special,like a CHAMPIONSHIP!!:angry:

But seriously,I can't see it happening.As mentioned earlier,
Daley's in enough trouble as it is.

SoxEd
09-11-2005, 08:54 PM
I found this from the City Clerk of Chicago
http://www.chicityclerk.com/legislation/codes/chapter8_4.html#150
"8-4-150 Use of sirens for air raid alarms only.

For the duration of any war in which the United States is engaged no person, including without limiting the generality of the word "person", all persons........... upon an authorized emergency vehicle, shall sound a siren for any purpose. For the purposes of this section, the term "siren" shall not include a foghorn when used for the protection of navigation in and about the Chicago Harbor. This section shall not apply to any person officially designated by the mayor to sound a siren as an air raid alarm. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be fined not less than $100.00 nor more than $200.00 for each offense. (Prior code 193-6.1)"

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the USA is not legally At War with any recognised State at the minute, so this Law woudn't apply?

Having said that, I agree that they won't sound the sirens, given that many people would likely assume they're a Warning for some kind of Terrorist action, and to sound them would thus potentially leave the City open to litigation from people who were unduly scared by the sirens.

Then again, if they were sounded, couldn't some particularly-litigious Cubs fan try to sue anyway, on the grouinds of exacerbated mental anguish?

Stroker Ace
09-12-2005, 01:30 AM
a $200.00 max fine!?!? I'll do it for twice that!:D: