PDA

View Full Version : Current Situation By the Numbers (Updated)

kjhanson
09-05-2005, 06:07 PM
A week or so ago I posted what records the Sox, Indians and Twins needed to for the White Sox to make the playoffs. At that point I said that if the Sox play .450 ball, Cleveland must play their best ball of the season (~.600 ball for 40 games). With 26 games left for the Sox, this is what must happen:

Sox go 10-16 (.384) : Cleveland must go 19-6 (.760) HAH!
Sox go 13-13 (.500) : Cleveland must go 22-3 (.880)

This should be the final thread discussing whether or not the Sox are going to the playoffs. They're going, and I can't wait!

TheOldRoman
09-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Are you kidding? Every day like today that goes by without us picking up a game on the Indians gives them that much more confidence and puts another nail into our coffin.:cool:

Brian26
09-05-2005, 06:18 PM
A week or so ago I posted what records the Sox, Indians and Twins needed to for the White Sox to make the playoffs. At that point I said that if the Sox play .450 ball, Cleveland must play their best ball of the season (~.600 ball for 40 games). With 26 games left for the Sox, this is what must happen:

This should be the final thread discussing whether or not the Sox are going to the playoffs. They're going, and I can't wait!

Nice job. I remember your first post...you were the first guy to really put everything in perspective, and a couple of other people posted the same theme later. The last five games have really helped the cause. We're in good shape right now. Biggest questions are if we will clinch at home and beat the '83 team's win total.

FielderJones
09-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Nice job. I remember your first post...you were the first guy to really put everything in perspective, and a couple of other people posted the same theme later. The last five games have really helped the cause. We're in good shape right now. Biggest questions are if we will clinch at home and beat the '83 team's win total.

Right now we would have to go 16-10 (.615) to beat the 1917 team's win total. It's doable, but a challenge.

PAPChiSox729
09-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Right now we would have to go 16-10 (.615) to beat the 1917 team's win total. It's doable, but a challenge.

I think we will do it. But if we have a bad series, then it is going to be really tough to get to 101. I hope Ozzie doesn't play the bench guys too much. Getting over 100 wins would be awesome.

ilsox7
09-05-2005, 06:58 PM
I think we will do it. But if we have a bad series, then it is going to be really tough to get to 101. I hope Ozzie doesn't play the bench guys too much. Getting over 100 wins would be awesome.

Getting 100 wins means nothing. Once we clinch, all remaining games are about staying healthy, being rested, but also being sharp.

Fredsox
09-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Getting 100 wins means nothing. Once we clinch, all remaining games are about staying healthy, being rested, but also being sharp.

Keeping the home field advantage would be nice as well. Currently we hold a 5-game lead over Boston. This would be nice to maintain despite the fact that we have the best road record in baseball. I'd like to think the home town crowd will help us.

PAPChiSox729
09-05-2005, 07:03 PM

I know, I know... but just seeing 100+ wins would just seem appropriate to go along with this championship. I know the playoffs are a crapshoot and the best record during the regular season doesn't mean anything. I won't be angry they fall short of 11 because Ozzie gets everyone some much needed rest and ready for the playoffs. I just want to see the White Sox break the century mark in wins, but I won't be dissappointed if they don't.

Fuller_Schettman
09-05-2005, 07:09 PM
I could see us sweeping our remaining home games to finish 54-27.

I could see us losing one in Minnesota, one in Detroit and one in Cleveland.

That would get us to 108-54. Pretty nice neighborhood. And going into October with a full head of steam, as opposed to a head full of steam like 2000.

Mr. White Sox
09-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Keeping the home field advantage would be nice as well. Currently we hold a 5-game lead over Boston. This would be nice to maintain despite the fact that we have the best road record in baseball. I'd like to think the home town crowd will help us.

Boston at home: 46-21
Boston away: 34-35

New York @ home: 44-24
New York away: 33-35

Home field advantage, while not paramount, is certainly meaningful here.

PAPChiSox729
09-05-2005, 07:16 PM

That would get us to 108-54. Pretty nice neighborhood. And going into October with a full head of steam, as opposed to a head full of steam like 2000.

I don't know about finishing 23-3. We could probably sweep KC, maybe even Detroit again. But the Twins and Indians are going to be playing tough, especially Cleveland if they stay in the WC chase until the end. If we get past 100 wins, it isn't going to be by much.

BRDSR
09-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Biggest questions are if we will clinch at home and beat the '83 team's win total.

Ran some numbers on the whole clinching at home thing and they look good. The White Sox play the Indians Sept 19-21 at home. The White Sox have 12 games before then and the Indians also have 12. The White Sox play 6 against KC, 3 against Minnesota, and 3 against Anaheim. The Indians play 3 against Detroit, 3 against 3 against Oakland, 3 against KC, and 3 against Minnesota.

With the magic number at 17 going into tomorrow's action, and the assumption that the White Sox will take 2 of 3 from Cleveland in that home series, the magic number has to be 4 by the completion of all games on Sept 18th. If the White Sox win 8 games over that stretch and the Indians lose 5, the magic number will be 4 heading into action on the 19th. I predict the White Sox will clinch the division on Sept 20th having taken the first two games of that series. You heard it here first.

SOXSINCE'70
09-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Biggest questions are if we will clinch at home and beat the '83 team's win total.

For me,the biggest question is ;can the Sox win a playoff game at home.
They have not done so since game 1 of the 1959 WS.:o: Look it up.
Forget clinching at home and surpassing the '83 team's win total.
I want to see the Sox win some home playoff games.The later in
October,the better.:D:

Chips
09-05-2005, 07:38 PM

That would be awesome

Johnny Mostil
09-05-2005, 08:27 PM

22-3 in last 25 has only happened twice: 1935 Cubs and 2001 Athletics. 19-6 (or better) is a little more common, but not frequent.

Let's see if this link works (showing best records over final 25 games):
http://baseball-reference.com/games/streaks.cgi?games=25&year=ALL&SHOW=TOT&includes=end_year&start_game_val=10&end_game_val=135&teams=ALL&orderby=wins&submit=Find+Streaks

Johnny Mostil
09-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Boston at home: 46-21
Boston away: 34-35

New York @ home: 44-24
New York away: 33-35

Home field advantage, while not paramount, is certainly meaningful here.

And, of course:
White Sox at home, 41-27
White Sox on road, 44-24.

ChiSoxPatF
09-05-2005, 11:57 PM
For me,the biggest question is ;can the Sox win a playoff game at home.
They have not done so since game 1 of the 1959 WS.:o: Look it up.
Forget clinching at home and surpassing the '83 team's win total.
I want to see the Sox win some home playoff games.The later in
October,the better.:D:

Well, we've only won one playoff away game since 1959 too. Lets hope all these horrible facts will be distant memories this playoff season.

TheOldRoman
09-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Well, we've only won one playoff away game since 1959 too. Lets hope all these horrible facts will be distant memories this playoff season.
You are forgetting the 2 wins we picked up in Toronto.

IowaSox1971
09-06-2005, 02:14 AM
This thing is not over. Keep in mind that we still have six games left with Cleveland. If we lose all six, then there's only a difference of 3.5 games that Cleveland has to make up in the other games on the schedule. We can't let up.

Fuller_Schettman
09-06-2005, 02:17 AM
This thing is not over. Keep in mind that we still have six games left with Cleveland. If we lose all six, then there's only a difference of 3.5 games that Cleveland has to make up in the other games on the schedule. We can't let up.

You have got to be Fuller Schettman!

No wait-- that's me.

PeteWard
09-06-2005, 03:50 AM

Well no, it's not over mathematically.

Can't let up? Sox are on a five-game win streak and all signs point to the exact opposite. The way they went out to Boston in the middle of a homestand and ripped the champs has to tell you that this team WILL NOT choke it away. 6 of 9 against the Royals is another good thing coming and I just don't see an Ozzie Guilllen team relaxing at this point in the season.

As for going 0-6 vs Cleveland :o: ,the only way that happens is if the Sox clinch before they meet, play their bench, let Adkins, et al start, and the Indians are still pushing for the WC. And even THEN, it ain't happening. Remember, this team just threw away back to back bunts in the 9th to lose a huge game on Saturday. Today Detroit missed a walk-off three run home off the Tribe closer by less than two feet.

Have a drink and enjoy a beautiful Chicago September.