PDA

View Full Version : Winning Ugly: Twenty Years Later DVD

soxfan1983
09-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Anyone know where you can buy this DVD "Winning Ugly: Twenty Years Later"??? It's about the 1983 American League West Champion White Sox team. I heard you can get it at Comisky Park during the games, but I was wondering if anyone knew of how to get it outside of the park? I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Thanks! :)

Wsoxmike59
09-05-2005, 04:20 PM
I think the ballpark (or on eBay) is the only place you'll find it right about now. I bought my copy of it on VHS at Soxfest last January. (The didn't have it on DVD yet)

You can also try the store Grandstand down near the ballpark on 35th and Wallace, they might have it as well.

It's an excellent tape, Produced by Eddie Einhorn's son, and they do a nice job mixing the Interviews and highlights from '83 in there.

soxfan1983
09-05-2005, 09:03 PM
definitely didnt see it on ebay

chisox83
09-05-2005, 09:28 PM
I asked about this in the gift shop on Thursday. They said they have no plans of receiving the DVD. Only the VHS. Very odd...

Saw a DVD on ebay early last week so keep checking back.

duke of dorwood
09-05-2005, 09:45 PM
I bought the DVD at the Gift Shop at the ball park by the Hall of Fame-maybe they are out

jehosaphat
09-06-2005, 12:26 AM
I bought the DVD at the Gift Shop at the ball park by the Hall of Fame-maybe they are out

I bet we are one of the few fan bases that supports the sale of a DVD of a team that won a divsion championship but didn't make it to the world series. Most teams have to win the world series to get enough fan interest for a commemorative video. I'm not sure what this says about us. On one hand, it says we are "true blue" - the most loyal fans in the world. On the other hand, is there something a little bit pitiful about buying DVDs of a team that made it to the semi-finals 20 years ago? What does this say about our success? The Atlanta Braves would have how many of these over the past 15 years?

Enjoy the video! I hope I don't ruin it for you. I hope it is kind to Britt - he deserved to win. If I were to own a copy, I don't think I could bear to watch the last 5 minutes where Baltimore wins. I never have liked Baltimore since that day.

Garland_IS_God
09-06-2005, 02:22 AM
I bought the dvd off Ebay and the guy sold me a burnt copy. I paid $20 for it but it's a great copy. Plus at The Cell it cost $30.00

mike squires
09-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Keep your eyes pealed. If you are a fan of that team it's a must have. It's awesome to listen back to a younger Hawk, Drysdale and McConnell and watch all of those highlights.

mike squires
09-06-2005, 04:46 PM
I bet we are one of the few fan bases that supports the sale of a DVD of a team that won a divsion championship but didn't make it to the world series. Most teams have to win the world series to get enough fan interest for a commemorative video. I'm not sure what this says about us. On one hand, it says we are "true blue" - the most loyal fans in the world. On the other hand, is there something a little bit pitiful about buying DVDs of a team that made it to the semi-finals 20 years ago? What does this say about our success? The Atlanta Braves would have how many of these over the past 15 years?

Enjoy the video! I hope I don't ruin it for you. I hope it is kind to Britt - he deserved to win. If I were to own a copy, I don't think I could bear to watch the last 5 minutes where Baltimore wins. I never have liked Baltimore since that day.

As much of a heartbreak it is to watch the playoff highlights, I do. Sometimes I feel like Jimmy Fallon in that scene in Fever Pitch watching the ball go through Buckners legs. I watch it rewind, watch it rewind. Only it's Drysdale saying..."Left field, hit well...this ball is gone!"

soxfan1983
12-26-2005, 05:00 PM
just wondering.... has anyone seen where you can buy this DVD: "Winning Ugly: Twenty Years Later" like in a store besides ebay???

thanks

doublem23
12-26-2005, 06:10 PM
I was just at Grandstand and I didn't see any, but I wasn't looking for it either.

batmanZoSo
12-26-2005, 06:44 PM

Well in my opinion, although I wasn't around to see that team, it's simple...until '05, '83 was all we had. That and I guess the '59 club and a few other division winners that gave us some pretty magical summers. I think the most striking thing about Sox fans is the continued reverence for the '77 Hitmen. I don't think any third place team has ever been so fondly remembered as that squad. I would say that's a definite positive about the fans of our team.

Lip Man 1
12-26-2005, 07:24 PM
The only thing I disliked about the tape was that parts of it (OK most of it) was in that goofy widescreen format.

Makes perfect sense to buy a bigger TV only to have a third of it wasted by showing nothing but black bands...

Lip

Brian26
12-26-2005, 11:37 PM
They had dvd's of this about a month ago at the gift shop behind homeplate. Haven't been there since then, but I doubt it has sold out.

kwolf68
12-27-2005, 11:43 AM
The 1983 team, though they failed to win it all, should be remembered as one of the great teams in White Sox history.

We had a 25 game winner (Hoyt) and a 22 game winner (Dotson) on the same staff. Not sure what Floyd Bannister won (high teens I think), but no doubt that was a brutal pitching staff for others to deal with.

That was a season of “what could have been”. The Sox made a couple base running blunders in the later innings of Game 4. Britt Burns pitched with more courage than I’ve ever remember seeing a pitcher pitch. We simply failed to get him the 1 run he needed.

Had the Sox gotten the game back to game 5…we have Lamar Hoyt against Scott McGreogor going in Game 5…The Sox win that game and probably move onto win the World Title.

It was a great team that was a lot of fun to watch play.

SOXSINCE'70
12-27-2005, 12:06 PM
I have the VHS issue.Is it availiable on DVD??
And if it is on DVD,are there "extras"??

anewman35
12-27-2005, 12:46 PM
The only thing I disliked about the tape was that parts of it (OK most of it) was in that goofy widescreen format.

Makes perfect sense to buy a bigger TV only to have a third of it wasted by showing nothing but black bands...

Lip

I don't have the DVD, so I don't know how it's encoded, but if they did it they way they should then the picture would take up the entire screen on a widescreen tv (and anybody who buys a big new tv these days that isn't wide screen is just silly...)

I have a hunch that it won't be too many years until people start thinking the "normal" 4:3 format is the goofy one.

mike squires
12-27-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm glad I picked it up when I did! I was dissapointed it was VHS but I'm afraid I wouldn't have it at all if I hadn't gotten it. You would think this day and age they would have had a great supply of DVD.

Lip Man 1
12-28-2005, 01:45 AM
Anewman:

There's one reason and one reason only why people do this...they want you to go out and blow 900 dollars on a 'widescreen' TV.

I've got news for those folks....it ain't gonna happen here. Not as long as my TV is working working well. They can make every DVD in both formats then you can pick what you wish but like I said there's a reason they don't do that.

Lip

sox7235
12-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Anyone know where you can buy this DVD "Winning Ugly: Twenty Years Later"??? It's about the 1983 American League West Champion White Sox team. I heard you can get it at Comisky Park during the games, but I was wondering if anyone knew of how to get it outside of the park? I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Thanks! :)

There are 2 listed on ebay right now. The guy selling them has sold 4 recently. I bought one last night from that ebay seller for 10.85. I tried to post the link but couldn't.

DenverSock
12-28-2005, 11:43 AM
I hope it is kind to Britt - he deserved to win. If I were to own a copy, I don't think I could bear to watch the last 5 minutes where Baltimore wins. I never have liked Baltimore since that day.

No box score will ever do justice to what happened to Britt. He not only deserved to win, he did an heroic job. He has become a footnote or trivia answer who deserved to be the ALCS hero.

If I get a chance, I'll buy that DVD.

soxinem1
12-28-2005, 12:11 PM
No box score will ever do justice to what happened to Britt. He not only deserved to win, he did an heroic job. He has become a footnote or trivia answer who deserved to be the ALCS hero.

If I get a chance, I'll buy that DVD.

Hoss was one of my favorites to ever wear the Sox uniform. I wish he would have hung around longer.

dakuda
12-29-2005, 03:48 PM
If you search for winnin ugly (no 'g' in winning), there are several on ebay right now. Took me a while to find them based on that.

EDIT: DO NOT BUY FROM hardtogetdvds ON EBAY. The DVD I received was a copy, and does not even play on my DVD player. Nowhere in the ad does he state that he has copied the DVD.

(http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hardtogetdvds&iid=6468414306&frm=284)

soxfan1983
01-06-2006, 06:58 PM
If you search for winnin ugly (no 'g' in winning), there are several on ebay right now. Took me a while to find them based on that.

EDIT: DO NOT BUY FROM hardtogetdvds ON EBAY. The DVD I received was a copy, and does not even play on my DVD player. Nowhere in the ad does he state that he has copied the DVD.

(http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hardtogetdvds&iid=6468414306&frm=284)

yea ive seen those, and i read comments for the guy selling them. seems like all he does is sell dvd copies. which is verrrrrryyyyyyy illegal