PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts from Detroit

hose
09-05-2005, 11:32 AM
It's amazing to read something positive about the Sox and their chances.
http://www.freep.com/sports/tigers/tigers5e_20050905.htm

.........If you believe in Tigers-related omens, then for the second straight year a team named the Sox will end a long World Series championship drought.
About this time last season, the Tigers got swept four games in Boston and scored six runs total. It was clear the Red Sox finally had the pitching to win the World Series.
In this four-game sweep, the Tigers scored six runs, just like they did at Fenway Park last season. Chicago has a deep rotation, filled with pitchers with different styles. Perhaps in a few months the White Sox will win their first World Series since 1917.

Ol' No. 2
09-05-2005, 11:34 AM
It's amazing to read something positive about the Sox and their chances.
http://www.freep.com/sports/tigers/tigers5e_20050905.htm

.........If you believe in Tigers-related omens, then for the second straight year a team named the Sox will end a long World Series championship drought.

About this time last season, the Tigers got swept four games in Boston and scored six runs total. It was clear the Red Sox finally had the pitching to win the World Series.

In this four-game sweep, the Tigers scored six runs, just like they did at Fenway Park last season. Chicago has a deep rotation, filled with pitchers with different styles. Perhaps in a few months the White Sox will win their first World Series since 1917. [Dmitri] Young is 1-for-41 against the White Sox this season.Ouch.

hose
09-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Ouch.

"Those pitchers ought to have a wizard hat on," Dmitri Young said. "I can't wait to get my second hit off these guys."

I would like to see a WSI'er put up a picture of Big Jon wearing a wizard hat.:cool::bandance:

SOXSINCE'70
09-05-2005, 05:07 PM
"Those pitchers ought to have a wizard hat on," Dmitri Young said. "I can't wait to get my second hit off these guys."

The key to this series was keeping Young from extending his arms.
He looked confused all weekend long.Beuhrle had him so messed
up that he swung at a horrible pitch for strike 3 Saturday
night.He looked like a ballerina spinning around and missing.
He swung and missed so hard that his batting helmet came
flying off to reveal a do-rag underneath.:D: :D:

Foulke You
09-06-2005, 03:20 AM
As we all know, this is Dmitri "It's between us and Cleveland" Young.:D:

hose
09-06-2005, 11:45 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/09/06/finish_isnt_there/?page=2

But McCarthy's best pitch -- or so it appeared, gauging by Sox swings -- was his changeup, which he used to strike out three straight to end the sixth (Trot Nixon) and begin the seventh (Varitek and Kevin Millar).

''I'll tell you," Francona said, ''they've got some kind of staff. He's come up with a changeup that I think has made him a different pitcher."

Between sports blab and the local print putting their spin on things it's nice to see what the other side is saying.

eriqjaffe
09-06-2005, 12:47 PM
I would like to see a WSI'er put up a picture of Big Jon wearing a wizard hat.:cool::bandance:
Okay.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7272/garlandwizard0cn.jpg

NowBatting19
10-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Hose - I hope you don't mind me bringing back your Tiger-related omen thread.

I remember reading this thread last year about both the Red Sox and White Sox both sweeping Detriot in four games series.

Maybe it's just me, but I do find it interesting that Detriot now finds themselves in position to win their own World Series. Perhaps Detriot was just "paying their dues" the last couple of seasons.

If only you could access the original article from the Detriot Free Press.

Anyone still have this article?

rookie
10-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Another Tigers/Sox article (though not the one you're looking for)...
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061018&content_id=1716641&vkey=ps2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Hey Oblong I was wondering, how do Tigers' fans feels about their team being constantly compared to the 2005 White Sox? Irritated cause they want to be their own team or too happy right now to care one or another?:smile:

MUsoxfan
10-19-2006, 01:35 AM
Hey Oblong I was wondering, how do Tigers' fans feels about their team being constantly compared to the 2005 White Sox? Irritated cause they want to be their own team or too happy right now to care one or another?:smile:

I'm not Oblong, but I'd think any comparison to a team that went 11-1 in the playoffs is a good comparison

Oblong
10-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Another Tigers/Sox article (though not the one you're looking for)...
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061018&content_id=1716641&vkey=ps2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

There's no reason to be irritated by comparisons to a team that won the WS and, as stated by MUsoxfan, a team that went 11-1 in the post season. I just hope the Tigers can make the analogy complete.

I've not read one negative thing about the comparisons, from the media or from fans on message boards. For me it's a bit annoying to be compared to other wild card teams. Only 3 other teams had a better record than the Tigers and they had the best record in MLB for, I think, a majority of the season. But that's the price you pay when you get swept by KC at home. Man, that seems like a lifetime ago. That Sunday game was probably my lowest point as a baseball fan.

oeo
10-19-2006, 11:53 AM
There's no reason to be irritated by comparisons to a team that won the WS and, as stated by MUsoxfan, a team that went 11-1 in the post season. I just hope the Tigers can make the analogy complete.

I've not read one negative thing about the comparisons, from the media or from fans on message boards. For me it's a bit annoying to be compared to other wild card teams. Only 3 other teams had a better record than the Tigers and they had the best record in MLB for, I think, a majority of the season. But that's the price you pay when you get swept by KC at home. Man, that seems like a lifetime ago. That Sunday game was probably my lowest point as a baseball fan.

Bah, you've been through worse than that (119-loss season?), shake it off. :D:

rookie
10-19-2006, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the perspective! Your long wait is about to be over. I've hope you've been resting up on your off week because you're going to be running of fumes starting on Saturday. And if you win it all...prepare your checkbook for the hit it will take.