PDA

View Full Version : I'll miss the walk

Nellie_Fox
07-27-2001, 12:58 AM
I used to get some amusement out of watching JB head for the dugout at the end of the inning. It was always a close call whether he'd get there before the outfielders did.

It reminded me of a Mike Royko description of Tiger pitcher Mickey Lolich (most of the younger board members won't remember him.) Royko said he walked like a sore footed bartender minding the store in carpet slippers.

Jjav829
07-27-2001, 12:59 AM
I've seen Buehrle is starting to do that walk. I don't know if he does it everytime but he'll do it at certain times.

FarWestChicago
07-27-2001, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I used to get some amusement out of watching JB head for the dugout at the end of the inning. It was always a close call whether he'd get there before the outfielders did.

It reminded me of a Mike Royko description of Tiger pitcher Mickey Lolich (most of the younger board members won't remember him.) Royko said he walked like a sore footed bartender minding the store in carpet slippers.

I sure as hell remember Lolich. And I too loved the JB walk!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-27-2001, 01:10 AM
J.B.'s Game 3 performance in the ALDS was maybe the gutsiest performance I've seen from a Sox pitcher since Britt Burns in the 1983 ALCS.

A lot of people have dismissed J.B. as a "one-half" pitcher. A certain amphibean has begun assigning style points to victories and has declared J.B.'s ugly.

Baldwin was a winner when it counted for the Sox: the first-half of the division championship year of 2000 and pitched well enough to win in the ALDS, too.

His walk to and from the mound was a classic, too.

doublem23
07-27-2001, 01:12 AM
I'll be lying if I said that I won't miss JB, but I see the logic of this. He is on the wrong side of 30 on this team, and it just seemed like his time had come. Luckily, we have a crapload of other pitchers for me to grow attached to (my favorite being Garland).

FarWestChicago
07-27-2001, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
J.B.'s Game 3 performance in the ALDS was maybe the gutsiest performance I've seen from a Sox pitcher since Britt Burns in the 1983 ALCS.

A lot of people have dismissed J.B. as a "one-half" pitcher. A certain amphibean has begun assigning style points to victories and has declared J.B.'s ugly.

Baldwin was a winner when it counted for the Sox: the first-half of the division championship year of 2000 and pitched well enough to win in the ALDS, too.

His walk to and from the mound was a classic, too.

He had guts and he was a gamer, two things they don't have amphibious stats for.

Bucktown
07-27-2001, 04:37 AM
How could you not know about Tiger Mickey Lolich? The guy single-handedly won the 1968 World Series by Beating Bob Gibson in game 7 (Gibson had already won 3 games in the series). He hit the game winning home run. The only home run of his career.

I used to stop at his doughnut shop in Waterford, Michigan. They hung the bat over the doughnut case.

Mickey made David Wells look trim. But I still say they are both obese.