PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Article and WSI

TornLabrum
09-05-2005, 12:27 AM
I just ran across this article on the dragonfire web site. Other than calling WSI a "blog," the guy quoted me in it pretty accurately. It's not a bad profile of Sox fans, at least as I perceive a lot of them.

Check it out at http://www.dfire.org/x944.xml.

chisoxmike
09-05-2005, 12:45 AM
If I hear the words "blog" "blogging" or "blogger" one more time I'm going to shoot somebody.

TheOldRoman
09-05-2005, 12:46 AM
This part really stood out to me:

(Boyer) says the team is actively promoting new liquor licenses in the neighborhood around the Cell. Boyer says he has no desire to create another version of the Cubs' Wrigley Field - which even Cubs fans call "the world's biggest beer garden" - but he does want to create "our own bar scene."
"We know it's coming," he says.

Whatever will the Cubune brainwash the Blue Sheep to bitch about now?
The million$ townhomes around the Cell are used to make and deal drugs.
The bars around the ballmall don't have as much history as the bars around Wrigley.

dakuda
09-05-2005, 01:00 AM
If I hear the words "blog" "blogging" or "blogger" one more time I'm going to shoot somebody.

Blogs are overrated. It's not like they are new technology or a new concept or anythign. Heck, any moron who could write HTML could make one at any time in the past. Now they are just dumbed down for the masses. OK, so I really have nothign here, but it is 1am, and I am on the computer, bear with me.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-05-2005, 01:03 AM
damn it i thought they came out with a new quest for glory game

The Wall
09-05-2005, 02:00 AM
So what happens if the White Sox actually do win it all?

"I think," says Vickery, "you're going to see a whole lot of disappointment if they don't repeat."

From when did we make it our nature to have failure as acceptable? I think Hal was misunderstood by Meyers. Meyers thinks it as negative but I think its just an extension that we expect the team to do the same things they've done this year in the next season as well considering all of the core members of this team return next year with a chance for upgrades over the offseason at positions that might open (1st, 3rd and SS).

If that is termed as hate or being negative, then we are a bunch of morons wearing wife beaters working as pickup truck drivers.

About gentrification of the neighborhood, the idea is to make the neighborhood safe for the residents and not necesarily to make it a beer garden. Ask students living at the IIT dorms and they will tell you how scary it used to be just a few years ago to go from their dorms to the jewel that was less than 1000 yards away. Having lived in that neighborhood for a while, I know it has definitely changed for the better. You hate to see some of the long time businesses go out due to the process (Halsted St independent businesses for example), but then again, you cant pick and choose when you want to improve a whole neighborhood. The growth of chinatown extensions into Bridgeport all the way upto 30th street (and penetrating) also puts the onus on the city to improve this region for adding more business opportunities that are affluent and willing to invest in the neighborhood. Big box businesses moving in indicates that it has improved significantly. I know that the neighborhood around the park has been at its safest than before.

TornLabrum
09-05-2005, 07:43 AM
From when did we make it our nature to have failure as acceptable? I think Hal was misunderstood by Meyers. Meyers thinks it as negative but I think its just an extension that we expect the team to do the same things they've done this year in the next season as well considering all of the core members of this team return next year with a chance for upgrades over the offseason at positions that might open (1st, 3rd and SS).

If that is termed as hate or being negative, then we are a bunch of morons wearing wife beaters working as pickup truck drivers.

I didn't see anything negative about the context in which my quote was used. I think Myers made it quite clear in his story that Sox fans hate losing. So I think the quote was just fine in that context. BTW, that was the gist of the conversation when I said that, and I think that comes out in the context of the story.

I think Myers premise, that Sox fans live to hate, is a bit strong. As a baseball fan, I live to see the Sox win. I hate LOSING. I hate being one pitcher or lefthanded power hitter short of having a playoff winner. I hate cheap ownership that won't spend what is necessary to produce a winner. I hate overvaluing of minor league talent that prevents trades that might be made to win it all. I hate the excessive coverage of the Chicago North Side Baseball Club by media that wouldn't recognize a good team if it walked up and said, "Hi! We're the modern equivalent of the '27 Yankees," unless they were wearing blue pinstripes. I hate the way every major media outlet in Chicago has bought into the nonexistent Cubbie myth.

I guess most of all, and perhaps this comes from being a teacher, I hate ignorance and stupidity.

But I do think that that final quote comes off okay in the context of the story, which ends up being pretty sympathetic to the Sox and their fans.

voodoochile
09-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Blogs are overrated. It's not like they are new technology or a new concept or anythign. Heck, any moron who could write HTML could make one at any time in the past. Now they are just dumbed down for the masses. OK, so I really have nothign here, but it is 1am, and I am on the computer, bear with me.

Except for a link to some website full of dirty jokes you have captured the essence of blogging...

BTW, just curious, Smokey, Yogi, Booboo or one of the ones that ate Goldilocks? :wink:

voodoochile
09-05-2005, 09:44 AM
For the most part I did like the article. It's nice to see some positve things said about the neigborhood gentrefication - something that is sorely lacking in the mainstream press.

I do take issue with his implication that the hatred of Reinsdorf is in anyway motivated by prejudice - unless I misinterpreted the Sullivan crack.

I did like the shirtless moron reference by Boyer. It is a direct shot at Lique who unfortunately is the single biggest example of "Soxfandom" in the media - regardless of the fact that he isn't actually a fan of the team. I hope all of the pickup truck drivers will take the comment in the spirit it was intended. Heck, down by me owning a pickup (a nice one) is practically a status symbol...

TommyJohn
09-05-2005, 11:05 AM
I do take issue with his implication that the hatred of Reinsdorf is in anyway motivated by prejudice - unless I misinterpreted the Sullivan crack.

I'm getting the same feeling you did.

I want to quote an article Mike Royko wrote in September of 1993, when
the Sox were on the verge of winning the AL West that year. He wrote
about the "moaning and groaning" he heard from many Sox fans. (Keep
in mind that Royko unloaded on Cub fans very hard as well)

"They groan because they don't like the owner. That seems to be a Sox fan
tradition. Some used to moan because Bill Veeck wasn't rich enough to hire
stars. Now they have a rich owner who hires stars, but they groan because
he isn't as charming as Veeck."

The implication here is that they didn't like him because of his personality.
The Sox fans on these boards don't like him because of the way he runs the
team. I picked the Veeck part of the quote to show that there were fans
who didn't like him either. I think Sox fans who dislike the owner do so mainly
because they want to see a winner, and feel the owner isn't trying enough.
It doesn't matter if his name is Reinsdorf, Veeck, Sullivan or if he is gentile
or Jewish, which was the exact meaning behind the guy's crack, which I
think is borderline slander. Am I being too thin-skinned?

TheOldRoman
09-05-2005, 11:11 AM
For the most part I did like the article. It's nice to see some positve things said about the neigborhood gentrefication - something that is sorely lacking in the mainstream press.

I did like the shirtless moron reference by Boyer. It is a direct shot at Lique who unfortunately is the single biggest example of "Soxfandom" in the media - regardless of the fact that he isn't actually a fan of the team. I hope all of the pickup truck drivers will take the comment in the spirit it was intended. Heck, down by me owning a pickup (a nice one) is practically a status symbol...
I believe the shirtless hick comment was said by Dan "high society" Bernstein.
The part about Reinsdorf bothered me, also.

TornLabrum
09-05-2005, 12:50 PM

I was going to mention that and got sidetracked. I don't think there was any call for that comment either. In fact I've heard a lot more borderline-to-overt racist comments over the years regarding Jerry Manuel and Kenny Williamx than I've heard anti-Semitic comments about Jerry Reinsdorf.

TheOldRoman
09-05-2005, 01:44 PM
I was going to mention that and got sidetracked. I don't think there was any call for that comment either. In fact I've heard a lot more borderline-to-overt racist comments over the years regarding Jerry Manuel and Kenny Williamx than I've heard anti-Semitic comments about Jerry Reinsdorf.
You're right, I have heard a lot of "Kenny was only hired because he was black" and "Kenny wouldn't fire Manuel because they were both black" BS. The thing about Reinsdorf is disgusting and has no merit. Chicago isn't Boston, there is no history of Chicago being racist or antisemitic, so one couldn't make that assumption without knowing the situation. It is a huge gaping flaw on an otherwise great article.

doublem23
09-05-2005, 02:45 PM
That is a really annoying page layout.

slavko
09-05-2005, 03:23 PM
This thread is starting to scream "Roadhouse." I really want to believe you guys are right. I really want to believe it.

Vince
09-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Interesting to hear that the White Sox are actively trying to develop the area around the park. While I don't want it to turn into another Wrigleyville , I think there is a happy middle ground somewhere.