PDA

View Full Version : Neal Cotts....

Soxheads
09-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Has not given up an earned run since July 10, the outing in Oakland. He's been huge this year. I remember coming on here when he debuted, and, granted, he didn't fare too well, but it's nice to see a guy come into his own.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Has not given up an earned run since July 10, the outing in Oakland. He's been huge this year. I remember coming on here when he debuted, and, granted, he didn't fare too well, but it's nice to see a guy come into his own.

that's ****ing amazing

JUribe1989
09-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Looking back on the season so far my co-MVP's are Hermanson, Politte, and Cotts. If we had not had them I don't know where we would be. They really showed up and I would love to thank them for it.

BRDSR
09-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Looking back on the season so far my co-MVP's are Hermanson, Politte, and Cotts. If we had not had them I don't know where we would be. They really showed up and I would love to thank them for it.

Really? Not JUribe? Just kidding, although I've been a little more impressed with him lately.

I heard some whisperings at the game today that Neal might be headed for the rotation sometime in the not-so-distant future. I don't know if the guy knew what he was talking about, but Cotts was groomed as a starter in the minors. With the confidence he's gotten this year I could see it working out. It's the kind of thing that has to begin in spring training though.

TheOldRoman
09-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Really? Not JUribe? Just kidding, although I've been a little more impressed with him lately.

I heard some whisperings at the game today that Neal might be headed for the rotation sometime in the not-so-distant future. I don't know if the guy knew what he was talking about, but Cotts was groomed as a starter in the minors. With the confidence he's gotten this year I could see it working out. It's the kind of thing that has to begin in spring training though.
Im gonna have to call BS on that (Im not saying you are lying, but whoever you heard it from was BSing).
A)We have 3 great starters, 2 very good starters, and 1 future ace.
B)He is way too valuable in the bullpen to move him out. We have nobody who would replace him, so we couldn't even think about it.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-05-2005, 12:39 AM

didn't cotts used to be a SP for the sox?

mmmmmbeeer
09-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Unless he plans on spending 2006 in Charlotte working on another pitch or two, Neal will be a reliever the rest of his career.

JUribe1989
09-05-2005, 01:00 AM
didn't cotts used to be a SP for the sox?

He had 2 terrible starts as a starter as far as I know. 1 in Minnesota in 2004 and that game in 2003 in Yankee Stadium that I will never forget that Buehrle shoulda started.

mdep524
09-05-2005, 01:01 AM
I've always thought Neal would be productive for the Sox, even when his control issues were very troubling.

How about a 2007 (or possibly even 2006) bullpen featuring Cotts as the set up man and Jenks as the closer?

mdep524
09-05-2005, 01:06 AM
He had 2 terrible starts as a starter as far as I know. 1 in Minnesota in 2004 and that game in 2003 in Yankee Stadium that I will never forget that Buehrle shoulda started. Both of those were AWFUL situations for him, out of his control. Everyone knows about that stupid Yankee Stadium game, as you mentioned.

That Minnesota game was one of those ghastly "Bullpen Games" where there was no true starting pitcher- just several relievers, one of whom happened to "start" the game. Cotts was having an excellent April in the bullpen up until he was forced to "start" that game, where he was tagged for a bunch of runs. He struggled for a little while after that, IIRC.

Optipessimism
09-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Unless he plans on spending 2006 in Charlotte working on another pitch or two, Neal will be a reliever the rest of his career.

You never know. For all purposes, KW could deal one of the Cubans in the offseason and use McCarthy. If an injury occurs afterwards, who gets a shot? Diaz? Munoz? Adkins? Or bring up Gio or Tracey early?

I for one think he'll stay in the bullpen with the Sox, but IMO it's all up to Neal. If he is happy in the bullpen and wants to stay there, he will be here probably for as long as he wants or until KW gets an offer he can't refuse. Otherwise, if he really wants to start I'd think they would either try to accomodate him if an opening came up or trade him somewhere else.

Also, another pitch would be nice, especially if he could develop a good changeup, but I don't think he necessarily needs it as bad as some people think he does. He's gotten where he is now by locating his pitches and not walking people (remember how wild he was when he first came up). I don't care if he throws 100% fastballs because if they are in the right spot no one is going to hit him anyway.

Optipessimism
09-05-2005, 01:17 AM
I've always thought Neal would be productive for the Sox, even when his control issues were very troubling.

How about a 2007 (or possibly even 2006) bullpen featuring Cotts as the set up man and Jenks as the closer?

2006 or 2007? This may come as early as the playoffs this year. If Hermie can't make it out there, Jenks is it. I already have more faith in Cotts than Marte, and we're not too deep on the lefty side.

johnnyg83
09-05-2005, 01:18 AM
[QUOTE=BRDSR]Really? Not JUribe? Just kidding, although I've been a little more impressed with him lately.

I heard some whisperings at the game today that Neal might be headed for the rotation sometime in the not-so-distant future.

Man, I'd be shocked. We don;t have enough SP spots as it is. And correct me if I'm wrong but I think all 5 are locked up through 06. And then you have McCarthy -- and a couple studs in the Minors that are considered better prospects. He's a perfect long-reliever or if Marte goes somewhere else,

DumpJerry
09-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Some feel that the Yankee Stadium start by Cotts was the final nail in Jerry Manuel's coffin with the team. Cotts was brought up with the hype that he was our answer to Mark Prior. General Disarray (remember that nickname?) shattered his confidence by having him take Buehrle's place in the game. Mark should have pitched that game, we needed a victory to stay viable.:angry:

Oh well, water under the bridge now. Cotts could become a starter next year is there are some injuries to the starting 5. I would be worried about who replaces him in the Bullpen, however.

Frater Perdurabo
09-05-2005, 07:23 AM
1. Cotts is too valuable to the Sox' bullpen to be a starter anytime soon.

2. The Sox have high quality starting pitchers already in the pipeline to step up in the event of injury, trade or free agent departure. McCarthy probably will be ready in 2006 and if not, then certainly in 2007 (heck, if they needed him he would be in the rotation full time this year). Broadway should be ready by 2007 or 2008 at the absolute latest. With Buehrle and Garcia locked up, all they need to do is sign Garland long-term. And with Cooper's influence, it's worth it to ink Contreras to a new deal. So, the Sox have a plethora of starting pitching. This is a nice problem to have.

Even though Cotts could make a quality MLB starter, several things would have to go wrong all at once to make the Sox even consider moving him to the rotation.

California Sox
09-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Broadway should be ready by 2007 or 2008 at the absolute latest.

I wouldn't bet the farm on Broadway just yet. He's had half a season in the minors and (due to a tired arm) his results have been mixed. He's far from a sure thing.

Frater Perdurabo
09-05-2005, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't bet the farm on Broadway just yet. He's had half a season in the minors and (due to a tired arm) his results have been mixed. He's far from a sure thing.

Well, given the fact that he pitched for a major D-1 college baseball team, couldn't we say that if he's not in the rotation by 2008 (barring injury, of course), he'd be certified bust?

KyWhiSoxFan
09-05-2005, 09:06 AM

I think Cotts will be the main setup lefthander next year, replacing Marte in that role. Marte walks too many people. Marte will be good trade bait in the off season.

OzzieBall2005
09-05-2005, 09:08 AM

......and Baj from the right side. We have a lot to work with in our future, be it bullpen, starting pitching, or outfield for years down the road.

SOXSINCE'70
09-05-2005, 09:25 AM

What about Bobby Jenks??:dunno:Without him,Hermanson's
ouchy back is a much bigger issue,IMO.

doublem23
09-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Projecting that far into the future is kind of pointless, anyways, but I'm willing to bet a lot of things that are being said now about Neal Cotts were said in 2001-2003 about Jon Garland. Give the kid some time, but if you think Neal is destined for anything else than the starting rotation, I don't know what to tell you.

Starters > Relievers

Frater Perdurabo
09-05-2005, 09:59 AM
......and Baj from the right side. We have a lot to work with in our future, be it bullpen, starting pitching, or outfield for years down the road.

And decent middle infield prospects in Valido and Getz as well. :bandance: