PDA

View Full Version : Ken Berry Interview

Dan H
09-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Another nice job by Mark Liptak. It was great to get some insights from a smart baseball man like Ken Berry. It also brought back some memories of the great Sox teams in the mid '60's. In the era of the Wild Card, those teams would have been in the post season every year.

Ken Berry played center field with abandon. One time he took a running leap and threw his whole body over the center field fence at Comiskey in a great but vain attempt to snare a Tony Oliva home run. Berry never put up super star numbers, but his great desire was always there.

Looking forward to the next Liptak interview.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Dan:

Many thanks. The next interview is already in the can and sent to George. It is a good one in my opinion...one of the biggest stars of the 1970's not only for the Sox but in MLB.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
09-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Dan:

Many thanks. The next interview is already in the can and sent to George. It is a good one in my opinion...one of the biggest stars of the 1970's not only for the Sox but in MLB.

Lip

Dick Allen?

flo-B-flo
09-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Ken Berry played center field with abandon. One time he took a running leap and threw his whole body over the center field fence at Comiskey in a great but vain attempt to snare a Tony Oliva home run. I believe I watched this attempt from the center field catwalk at ol' Sox Park.:D:

TornLabrum
09-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Dick Allen?

Rich McKinney!

SoxFanSince67
09-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Enjoyed the interview. Ken was of my first Sox favorites.

Has there been or will there be any interviews with Chuck Tanner?

Daver
09-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Enjoyed the interview. Ken was of my first Sox favorites.

Has there been or will there be any interviews with Chuck Tanner?

You can view the interview archive here. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/interviews.htm)

Lip Man 1
09-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Sox Fan 67:

I'd love to speak with Chuck... the 'problem' is that without any help from the Sox themselves regarding how to actually contact former players, managers and so forth, it's kind of 'catch as catch can...' I research on the internet, in telephone directories and through contacts (friend of a friend stuff...) but sometimes you just can't find people.

I've spent hours trying to look up particular former players for example without luck. I know Chuck is from Western Pennsylvania and assume he still lives there but haven't been able to track him doen (or his son Bruce for that matter...)

Help is always appreciated regarding contact information.

mliptak1@msn.com

Lip

MikeW
09-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Really enjoyed the Ken Berry interview. Number #16 was one of my all time favorites. I even used to copy him when I played baseball in high school and college. I still get a thrill watching a great defensive play in the outfield. Got a chance to meet him a couple of times and he was always a good guy.

CiscoCarlos
09-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Great interview. One part I really enjoyed was the mention of Dick Kenworthy as being in Eight Men Out movie (next to Berry). I think Kenworthy is so forgotten he didn't even make the Forgotten Sox thread that has been running on these boards. Sort of in the Bill Voss vein of forgotten Soxes.

Anyways, Lip, one thing I was wondering, does Berry still work at all or is he retired? His baseball card says he was from Topeka, so it sounds like from your interview that he settled back in his general home region.

Thanks again for another good selection.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Cisco:

Basically Ken is retired, he's 63. Still plays in a softball league and does a lot of coaching and clinics for area kids. Also is an avid hunting - fishing guy. (Daver's kind of people! :smile: )

Very nice guy with a sharp baseball mind, probably because he managed for a number of years.

Lip

Fenway
09-06-2005, 06:35 PM
One of the graphics I used yesterday was that Ken Berry was the last outfielder on the White Sox to win a Gold Glove ( 1970 )

Dick Allen
09-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Another nice job by Mark Liptak. It was great to get some insights from a smart baseball man like Ken Berry. It also brought back some memories of the great Sox teams in the mid '60's. In the era of the Wild Card, those teams would have been in the post season every year.

Ken Berry played center field with abandon. One time he took a running leap and threw his whole body over the center field fence at Comiskey in a great but vain attempt to snare a Tony Oliva home run. Berry never put up super star numbers, but his great desire was always there.

Looking forward to the next Liptak interview.Dan, I remember seeing an old highlight on more than one occasion where Berry dove over the CF fence and actually made the catch. It was funny because you didn't know if he caught it until you saw the fans react who were in camera range.

Fenway
09-06-2005, 07:44 PM
most Red Sox fans remember Berry for a reason most White Sox fans want to forget.

August 27th, 1967

(from Red Sox Century)
The first game of the Sunday doubleheader that concluded the series was a microcosm of the entire season, and of all games Boston played that season, it remains the most memorable. Sox fans could hardly bear to watch on television, but were even more afraid not to. The Sox fell behind, came back, and then almost blew the game twice before emerging with a win. It was that kind of year.
Gary Bell started for Boston and fell behind 1-0, but Carl Yastrzemski ripped two home runs to give him a 3-1 lead. In the seventh, Scott singled home a run to make the score 4-1. But in the bottom of the inning, Mike Andrews blew a tailor-made double play ball and the White Sox scored twice to make it 4-3.

Boston failed to score off Hoyt Wilhelm in the ninth, and Ken Berry led off with a double for Chicago and was sacrificed to third to chase Gary Bell. John Wyatt came into the game with the tying run ninety feet from home.

He threw one pitch. Duane Josephson hit a soft line drive to right. Weak-armed Jose Tartabull charged in, caught the ball and came up throwing as Berry tagged.

He made perhaps the best throw of his career, and even then it still wasn’t perfect. But now Howard demonstrated why Boston had traded for him.

As the veteran catcher reached up high to catch the ball, he expertly planted his size twelve foot in front of home plate. Berry slid just as he made the catch. As Howard swept back to make a one-handed tag, his foot bounced Berry aside and his glove swept across his leg.

Out. Double play. Game over. Red Sox in first.

Josephson swings........a hard liner to right.........Tarabull has a weak arm...here comes Berry

He is out at the plate!!!!, he is out at the plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ken Coleman WHDH-TV