PDA

View Full Version : The Angels could really regret letting Jenks go

DumpJerry
09-04-2005, 09:38 AM
The way Bobby Jenks is pitching for us, he could eliminate the Angels from the playoffs if we face them. I bet the guy who let him get away from them on the waiver wire will feel real sick when that happens. He's looking like one of KW's "genius" acquisitions he seems to get each year......:D:

jerry myers
09-04-2005, 09:44 AM
I think jenks is doing a great job. I really like him. needs a nickname tho. love when he throws over 100mph.

Crede_Fan
09-04-2005, 09:50 AM
He does need a nickname. I like when he throws the heat, but I love when he makes the batters look stupid with the 85mph. KW did a great job in getting him.

veeter
09-04-2005, 10:00 AM
I think they already regret it.

jerry myers
09-04-2005, 10:00 AM
You know i missed when we got him. did he pitch for the angels? I know he is young. and yes when he slows it down and fools the hitter, after throwing some massive heat, its great!

DumpJerry
09-04-2005, 10:03 AM
You know i missed when we got him. did he pitch for the angels? I know he is young. and yes when he slows it down and fools the hitter, after throwing some massive heat, its great!
We picked him up off waivers during Spring Training. He had an elbow injury last year.

krohnjw
09-04-2005, 10:06 AM
He had a history of issues in the Angels organization (There is an SI article about him detailing his issues with alcohol and destructive behavior). They were trying to straighten him up because he has a great arm, but gave up on him. Bad for them, great for us :D:

batmanZoSo
09-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Ha, I'm tellin' ya they're gonna regret it. I will make the bold prediction that Jenks will become a major southside hero at some point. For what length of time, who knows? But I think this guy will give us some memories. :D:

http://www.fox.com/kingofthehill/images/h_epi402.gif
Dangit, Bobby...

jerry myers
09-04-2005, 10:19 AM
amen everybody should get a second chance, if there willing, thanks for the info on him. turned out good for us. hey if he has got some anger or whatever he can use it all up on the batters.

fquaye149
09-04-2005, 11:04 AM
I think jenks is doing a great job. I really like him. needs a nickname tho. love when he throws over 100mph.

http://www.richardkiel.com/HappyGilmore.jpg

"hey bobby jenks: throw it 100 miles per hour!"

Fuller_Schettman
09-04-2005, 11:04 AM
How is this for a nickname:

:angry: FLAMETHROWER :angry:

His entrance song would of Coors be the J. Geils tune of the same name

MRKARNO
09-04-2005, 12:47 PM
He's by far our most valuable reliever going forward IMO. And by going forward I do mean not only this year and next year, but all 6 years for which we own the rights to him or longer. If you throw an 100+ MPH fastball with a nasty curve and a half-decent changeup and can throw them all with control, especially the fastball, you will be one of the best relievers in baseball. I said it when I first saw it and I'll repeat it: Bobby Jenks is our Brad Lidge.

santo=dorf
09-04-2005, 01:21 PM
They also let go of Derrick Turnbow this offseason. I wonder if Angels fans like the contracts Steve Finley and Orlando Cabrera got.

kevingrt
09-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Bobby Jenks is pretty amazing, and for what we got him, this is turning out to be one of the best deals in KW's GM here. Jenks I think we could almost if we wanted to groom him back into a starting role. But for now he is awesome from the bullpen, and next year he could be a Top 3 closer in the game with Mariano.

EMel9281
09-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Jenks is going to be our future closer, which leads me to a question. I don't remember Dustin's deal he got when the Sox picked him up, but is he signed through next year? If not, I think we'll see a lot more of Jenks in the 9th.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Jenks is going to be our future closer, which leads me to a question. I don't remember Dustin's deal he got when the Sox picked him up, but is he signed through next year? If not, I think we'll see a lot more of Jenks in the 9th.

Hermanson will get $3 mil in 2006. In 2007 the team has a $3.5 mil option or can buyout the contract for $500 k.

Here is BP's take on Bobby Jenks in their 2005 book - They always love what the White Sox do.

Taking up space on the 40 man roster like a car that's been booted, Jenks missed most of the season with a "stress reaction," the precursor to a stress fracture. it's the second time he's been shelved for this reason, and pins have been inserted into his elbow in hopes that these will hold it together. As in the old TMBG song, Jenks throws sapphire bullets of pure love, topping 102 MPH in winter ball. Unfortunately, the speed is as untamed, as 6.2 walks per nine attest. He looked great at Double-A Arkansas in 2003, but now he has three hurdles - personality/maturity, health, and control - to jump before he can have a notable major league career. Those are long odds. Claimed on waivers by the White Sox, who haven't had a lot of success turning minor league projects into major league pitchers in recent years. The odds just got longer.

So if the stuck with the facts and let the reader know of the injury, operation and pins in the elbow - which may or may not hold up long term - this would be OK. But they had to rip the White Sox for the 1,459th time . :angry:

This was the second and final time I purchased this book. I could read dark cloud posts in the roadhouse and get the same commentary.

Cowhead418
09-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Hermanson will get $3 mil in 2006. In 2007 the team has a $3.5 mil option or can buyout the contract for $500 k.

Here is BP's take on Bobby Jenks in their 2005 book - They always love what the White Sox do.

Taking up space on the 40 man roster like a car that's been booted, Jenks missed most of the season with a "stress reaction," the precursor to a stress fracture. it's the second time he's been shelved for this reason, and pins have been inserted into his elbow in hopes that these will hold it together. As in the old TMBG song, Jenks throws sapphire bullets of pure love, topping 102 MPH in winter ball. Unfortunately, the speed is as untamed, as 6.2 walks per nine attest. He looked great at Double-A Arkansas in 2003, but now he has three hurdles - personality/maturity, health, and control - to jump before he can have a notable major league career. Those are long odds. Claimed on waivers by the White Sox, who haven't had a lot of success turning minor league projects into major league pitchers in recent years. The odds just got longer.

So if the stuck with the facts and let the reader know of the injury, operation and pins in the elbow - which may or may not hold up long term - this would be OK. But they had to rip the White Sox for the 1,459th time . :angry:

This was the second and final time I purchased this book. I could read dark cloud posts in the roadhouse and get the same commentary.
I don't get it. Why does everyone hate us so much? What did we ever do to anybody? Why is the Ligue incident thrown around so much? Why do people want us to fail? When the same old teams make the playoffs every year, it gets boring. When new teams emerge that aren't the White Sox, they proclaim: "Oh joy! A surprise team!" (Or they just talk about the Yankees and Blow Sawx not being "that good" this year). But when that new team is the White Sox they say we're going to fail and "go nowhere" and then get all giddy when we lose. Why?:?:

ChiSox14305635
09-04-2005, 03:12 PM
I read on the Angels MB that Tim Bittner, the guy obtained from the Sox in the Schoenweis deal, and was protected when they left Jenks exposed was recently released. I'm pretty sure that's a spot they would've loved Jenks to keep.

Oh well, such is life. I'm happy. :D:

jabrch
09-04-2005, 03:58 PM
I don't get it. Why does everyone hate us so much? What did we ever do to anybody? Why is the Ligue incident thrown around so much? Why do people want us to fail?

This is more BP/stathead/BillyBeane/Dayn Perry/Joel Sheehan nonsense. They are still waiting for the "new" model of building baseball teams to prove to be right. It has yet to do so. (please nobody tell me about the Red Sox and the second highest payroll in baseball) They want the As/Dodgers/Jays etc. to win before a team like the Sox does.

It's nonsense...

SABRSox
09-04-2005, 04:40 PM
They also let go of Derrick Turnbow this offseason. I wonder if Angels fans like the contracts Steve Finley and Orlando Cabrera got.

They do not. Some fans in Anaheim want to demote Finley to AAA. That, of course, would be a terrible idea. But they do realize they overpaid for both of them now.

However, the Angels farm system is ridiculously stacked. They've got a stud prospect at every position. The names Kendry Morales and Brandon Wood are certainly names to watch. Kotchman is going to be good once they decide to finally let Erstad go off to pasture. As far as pitching, they've got Jared Weaver, who could help them as early as next year, and Kelvim Escobar is coming back to pitch out of the bullpen for the rest of the year. He could really turn things around for them.

The Angels may be down right now, but they are certainly not out.

Though I'm sure they wish they had Bobby Jenks right now...

johnny_mostil
09-04-2005, 04:51 PM
This is more BP/stathead/BillyBeane/Dayn Perry/Joel Sheehan nonsense. They are still waiting for the "new" model of building baseball teams to prove to be right. It has yet to do so. (please nobody tell me about the Red Sox and the second highest payroll in baseball) They want the As/Dodgers/Jays etc. to win before a team like the Sox does.

It's nonsense...

Well, Billy Beane doesn't give a Schlitz about what you or I think about his means of building a baseball team, and frankly, he's pretty good at it. Let's leave him out of this.

On the other hand, Dayn Perry and especially Joe Sheehan and all the Baseball Prospectus people, they are a different matter. They're trying to make money selling us their predictions, which are made by interesting but hardly infallible mathematics. They hate the White Sox now because, simply, they missed the pitching prediction for the White Sox by a mile (Garland: 5.05 ERA, staff ERA about 4.80), which is now Exhibit A in the "you can't really predict pitching" casebook, and which casts doubt on the wisdom of investing $13 on their books.

Next time you're at a bookstore, read the BP quick summary of the 2005 White Sox. You'll see why they hate them. They made BP look really stupid.

Ol' No. 2
09-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Well, Billy Beane doesn't give a Schlitz about what you or I think about his means of building a baseball team, and frankly, he's pretty good at it. Let's leave him out of this.

On the other hand, Dayn Perry and especially Joe Sheehan and all the Baseball Prospectus people, they are a different matter. They're trying to make money selling us their predictions, which are made by interesting but hardly infallible mathematics. They hate the White Sox now because, simply, they missed the pitching prediction for the White Sox by a mile (Garland: 5.05 ERA, staff ERA about 4.80), which is now Exhibit A in the "you can't really predict pitching" casebook, and which casts doubt on the wisdom of investing $13 on their books.

Next time you're at a bookstore, read the BP quick summary of the 2005 White Sox. You'll see why they hate them. They made BP look really stupid.Actually, you can't predict hitting very well, either. Or more accurately, despite all their mathematical gyrations, they can't predict hitting any better than if you just took a player's average over the previous 3 years.

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-05-2005, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=jerry myers]I think jenks is doing a great job. I really like him.

I totally agree. I'm loving to see him come out of the pen and be so dominating. There's nothing better than seeing him whip a 100 MPH fastball right past a hitter and then dropping the hammer on him. "He Gone"