PDA

View Full Version : WGN-TV / Sox Programming Questions

Lip Man 1
09-04-2005, 02:07 AM
Gang:

It's coming close...the day (or night) when the Sox clinch the Central Division will soon be with us. I was wondering about potential Sox programming on WGN-TV and have two questions specifically on it. If anyone has any information about the two questions that they can share with me, I'd appreciate it very much.

Here are the two questions:

1. Back in 2003, I thought WGN-TV did a smart thing when they decided to televise the Cubs playoff games, giving their fans the choice of watching the home team announcers on the Superstation or watching the national announcers on outlets like Fox or ESPN. Can you tell me if the Sox will receive the same treatment? It would be nice to be able to listen to ‘Hawk’ as opposed to Joe Buck, Thom Brennerman and the like.

2. I can’t speak for 1993 or 2000 because in Idaho we did not get WGN-TV over the cable (now with a satellite I can!) but I remember clearly the night of September 17, 1983 in Louisiana at KNOE-TV watching on WGN-TV as they ‘cut in’ to programming and showed the 9th inning and the wild post game celebrations as the Sox won the Western Division. WGN-TV got permission from SportsVision to pick up the feed and show the celebrations to Sox fans around the city who didn’t have cable and the nation through Superstation WGN-TV. Do you know if this is possible or will take place on the day that the Sox clinch the Central Division? For those of us who don’t get the MLB extra innings package off the satellite, this would be a way to still be included in the craziness.

I appreciate your help in this regard and look forward to any information that you can give me.

I have sent an e-mail to Dan Rohn of WGN-TV sports asking these questions and he has been good about getting back with me, but he may not be the person to answer these questions which is why I'm wondering if anybody has heard anything along these lines.

By the way here is an e-mail address to Superstation WGN-TV if you would like to 'encourage' them to do these things.

http://wgnsuperstation.trb.com/about/station/

Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and send them an e-mail if you wish.

Lip

HotelWhiteSox
09-04-2005, 02:12 AM
About your first question, I don't remember having local Cub broadcasts for the playoffs but to be honest I didn't care enought to check! I know that in 2000 the national broadcast was the only choice (almost positive)

ChiSoxGirl
09-04-2005, 02:21 AM
About your first question, I don't remember having local Cub broadcasts for the playoffs but to be honest I didn't care enought to check! I know that in 2000 the national broadcast was the only choice (almost positive)

When the Scrubs were in it in 2003, WGN did air the ESPN feed- commercials and all- for those of us who don't have cable.

I have this feeling that maybe Comcast would pick up the games for the local broadcasters, even though it's still cable. As much as I'd love to see WGN air the Sox games just like they did the Scrub games two years ago, I just don't know if I see it happening. I wonder if WCIU has any rights.... They're not the best outlet, but something is better than nothing if you don't have cable!

In 2000, the national broadcast was the only option because I distinctly remember listening to the playoff games, as opposed to watching them, and I was frustrated that I couldn't see the games. I was only 20 then, so going out to bar wasn't an option, either. :redface:

Lip Man 1
09-04-2005, 02:21 AM
Hotel:

In 2003 Caray and Stone did Cub playoff games on WGN-TV. They promoted the hell out of this during the news and especially when the sports segment came along. That's why I'm wondering if they will extend to the Sox the same courtesy.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2005, 02:40 AM
The ONLY team I've seen have its local broadcasters do playoff games are the Bulls.

ewokpelts
09-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Gang:

It's coming close...the day (or night) when the Sox clinch the Central Division will soon be with us. I was wondering about potential Sox programming on WGN-TV and have two questions specifically on it. If anyone has any information about the two questions that they can share with me, I'd appreciate it very much.

Here are the two questions:

1. Back in 2003, I thought WGN-TV did a smart thing when they decided to televise the Cubs playoff games, giving their fans the choice of watching the home team announcers on the Superstation or watching the national announcers on outlets like Fox or ESPN. Can you tell me if the Sox will receive the same treatment? It would be nice to be able to listen to ‘Hawk’ as opposed to Joe Buck, Thom Brennerman and the like.

2. I can’t speak for 1993 or 2000 because in Idaho we did not get WGN-TV over the cable (now with a satellite I can!) but I remember clearly the night of September 17, 1983 in Louisiana at KNOE-TV watching on WGN-TV as they ‘cut in’ to programming and showed the 9th inning and the wild post game celebrations as the Sox won the Western Division. WGN-TV got permission from SportsVision to pick up the feed and show the celebrations to Sox fans around the city who didn’t have cable and the nation through Superstation WGN-TV. Do you know if this is possible or will take place on the day that the Sox clinch the Central Division? For those of us who don’t get the MLB extra innings package off the satellite, this would be a way to still be included in the craziness.

I appreciate your help in this regard and look forward to any information that you can give me.

I have sent an e-mail to Dan Rohn of WGN-TV sports asking these questions and he has been good about getting back with me, but he may not be the person to answer these questions which is why I'm wondering if anybody has heard anything along these lines.

By the way here is an e-mail address to Superstation WGN-TV if you would like to 'encourage' them to do these things.

http://wgnsuperstation.trb.com/about/station/

Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and send them an e-mail if you wish.

Lip
Lip,
ALL 2003 playoff teams broadcasted thier ESPN games over-the-air on local affilates. The fox feed was exclusively on fox, since it's an over the air station.
Gene

SoxinAZ
09-04-2005, 12:56 PM
It won't6 happen......FOX owns it.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Hotel:

In 2003 Caray and Stone did Cub playoff games on WGN-TV. They promoted the hell out of this during the news and especially when the sports segment came along. That's why I'm wondering if they will extend to the Sox the same courtesy.

Lip

Lip - 99% of the time I wouldn't question you but I think you wrong on this one. Steve Stone actually did the radio (Ron Santo was sick and in Arizona). I had MLB.com radio achieves and I remember 100% Stone was doing the WGN AM 720 broadcast. After the Bartman play he was livid and he capped it off whining "and the worst thing about it is he is wearing a cub hat." which cracked me up.

The game was broadcast on Fox. Maybe you are talking about the first series on ESPN but I am pretty sure they just fed the ESPN feed just as they do on Bears Sunday night games (that is when they were good enough to be featured on Sunday night games).

National TV rights holders pay big money for those rights and the local broadcasts are limited to radio.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2005, 02:01 PM
I just got an e-mail from Scott Reifert. He was good enough to check on my questions with the folks at WGN-TV. Here are the answers to my questions:

This information from my experts:

I can answer Mark's first question. The rules have changed somewhat. MLB is still required to make the best efforts to obtain an over the air station in the Chicago market to air the divisional series. However, whatever over the air station is selected (I hope it is WGN), is required to carry the feed of whatever network is airing the game (FOX/ESPN). Thus, Hawk & DJ will not be working any of the playoff games.

We can carry the ESPN games in the first round. We carry the ESPN feed and the ESPN announcers. We did this in 2000 for Sox and in 1998 and 2003 with the Cubs. It is NOT a WGN-TV telecast, we just carry the ESPN signal so folks w/o cable can get it in Chicago. Hopefully we will do pre and post game shows around this. The superstation does not get to carry the games.

As to the second question, it is unlikely that WGN would carry a Comcast game. Depending on where and when, there is a good chance WGN News would be doing something, but it really depends on the where and when, along with who is carrying the game.

I appreciate Scott and WGN getting the answers to me. That's very disappointing that WGN appaerently won't break into programming to show at least the locker room celebrations. (Heaven forbid they interrupt a '24' re-run, or some lame movie!) That night in 1983 in Louisiana watching the Sox frolic in the locker room about 10:40 PM Central time is still burned into my memory (and of course is still enjoyed since I taped every damn thing that night on to video!) It was a special night made more so because there I was in Louisiana watching TV out of Chicago. Amazing...

Lip

Medford Bobby
09-04-2005, 04:54 PM
:smile: Timing would be great if the Sox could clinch on a night the game is already on WGN (like a Saturday game)......if it's on Comcast, at least we can tape the post game activities(for those who have DISH net).........:cool:

sox_fan_forever
09-04-2005, 06:34 PM
:smile: Timing would be great if the Sox could clinch on a night the game is already on WGN (like a Saturday game)......if it's on Comcast, at least we can tape the post game activities(for those who have DISH net).........:cool:

I really, really hope they clinch on a night when they're on WGN. That's my biggest problem with being out of state for school...I hardly ever get to see the Sox anymore!!! :whiner:

Foulke You
09-04-2005, 09:51 PM
I have two wishes:

1) The Sox clinch at home instead of on the road. I'll never forget that '93 clincher with Bo Jackson's moon shot. My Dad and I went nuts when that one cleared the fence. Comiskey was rocking that day. I still remember Hawk's call: "Ellis Burks!!!! YESS!!!!!" :cool:

2) The Sox play their playoff games at night so those of us who have day jobs don't have to juggle our professional lives with a once in a lifetime postseason. This is one of the reasons I'm hoping for the Yanks in round 1. The Yanks all but guarantee a night broadcast.

Ol' No. 2
09-04-2005, 09:55 PM
I have two wishes:

1) The Sox clinch at home instead of on the road. I'll never forget that '93 clincher with Bo Jackson's moon shot. My Dad and I went nuts when that one cleared the fence. Comiskey was rocking that day. I still remember Hawk's call: "Ellis Burks!!!! YESS!!!!!" :cool:

2) The Sox play their playoff games at night so those of us who have day jobs don't have to juggle our professional lives with a once in a lifetime postseason. This is one of the reasons I'm hoping for the Yanks in round 1. The Yanks all but guarantee a night broadcast.JOBS???? You're going to get something as trivial as a JOB get in the way of your seeing the Sox in the World Series? You can always get another job. (And I can guarantee you it won't take 46 years to do it.):cool:

Foulke You
09-04-2005, 10:21 PM
JOBS???? You're going to get something as trivial as a JOB get in the way of your seeing the Sox in the World Series? You can always get another job. (And I can guarantee you it won't take 46 years to do it.):cool:
LOL.:D:

Seriously though, I was lucky enough to have an understanding boss in 2000. I purchased the tickets for Game 1 and 2 of the ALDS and got to go to both painful games that started at 3:05 and 4:05 central if I remember correctly. He let me go because I owed him several favors. If they start at 3:05 this year, I may have to grovel, beg, bribe, whatever it takes to be at the games. :cool:

DannyCaterFan
09-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Those 2000 starting times for home playoff games 1 & 2 were 3:05 and 12:05. I have painful memories of both games.