PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Welcome Back Gooch Postgame Thread

Cowhead418
09-03-2005, 09:31 PM
The offensive surge continues. 83-51 sure sounds good. Go Twins! Magic number is 21 and SHRINKING!!:D:

FielderJones
09-03-2005, 09:31 PM
:winner

Two nice aspects of this game: timely two-out hitting by Rowand and Iguchi, and some sweet pitching by Buehrle.

Let's get this done tomorrow and sweep it.

:hawk
"I luuuvv sunny skies."

PAPChiSox729
09-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Another awesome game on all sides. Let's finish them off tommorrow!
:bandance: :bandance:

SOXintheBURGH
09-03-2005, 09:32 PM
I love this team.

BeviBall!
09-03-2005, 09:33 PM
We love 4-game sweeps! Let's get the reeling Bonderman tomorrow!

Unregistered
09-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Dammit, Indians just scored.

2-2 in the 9th.

Dammit, Minnesota. You SUCK! :angry:

PAPChiSox729
Injuns tie it at 2 off of Nathan.

:angry:

BeviBall!
BAH! 2-2 in Minnesota. WTG Nathan.

BeviBall!
Dammit, Indians just scored.

2-2 in the 9th.

Dammit, Minnesota. You SUCK! :angry:

Leave Johan in the damn game. Unreal.

ChiSox14305635
09-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Outstanding pitching effort by Buehrle!

Too bad crappy Joe Nathan couldn't handle his end of the bargain. Game in Minnesota is tied at 2.

LuzinskiFan
09-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Another awesome performance from the Jenkster! Keep it up Bobby! You rule!

JB98
BAH! 2-2 in Minnesota. WTG Nathan.

But I thought John Kruk assured us that Joe Nathan is lights out. Three up, three down every time. Hermanson sucks compared to Nathan.

Unregistered
Leave Johan in the damn game. Unreal.
First run Nathan has given up the entire second half. Naturally. :rolleyes:

Cowhead418
09-03-2005, 09:37 PM
I personally don't care if Cleveland wins or loses now. I want to clinch faster but I'm pulling for them to win the wild card and beat boston because we've owned them this year.

SoxSpeed22
If anything, they'll beat each other up, just like I want 'em to. Buehrle just got the Tigers out, 2-out runs and Politte, Marte and Jenks gettin' it done. Let's sweep these guys tommorow.

cbone
Back in form! Great effort all around! Get em tomorrow!!!!!

Unregistered
09-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Castro on second base, NOBODY out for the Twins...

Unregistered
09-03-2005, 09:40 PM
:indianslose

THIS is why the Indians are a joke. Leadoff dribbler to third, Boone throws it away and Castro goes to second. Bunt over to Howry, Howry throws it into the stands, scoring Castro. Indians lose. :bandance:

Whitesox4ever
09-03-2005, 09:41 PM
twins win

PAPChiSox729
09-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Twins win it!!

:bandance:

ChiSox14305635
09-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Howry threw the ball away!

Twins win 3-2, Magic number is now 20! :bandance:

LuvSox
My friends:

Frankfan4life
The Sox are playing great right now. Pitching, defense and offense, all working in harmony. It's so sweet when it all comes together. A win tomorrow will put the Sox in good shape mentally to face the Bad Sox. So,...

GO SOX!!!!!

SoxSpeed22
09-03-2005, 09:45 PM
What a world...the Twins score 2 runs on 10 different hits and yet they score the winning run on 2 bunts.:rolleyes:

StrTrkker
09-03-2005, 09:46 PM

Magic Number is 20. :bandance:
I see the Cubs stand at 20 for their "magic" number too...:)
Wouldn't it be sweet the day we clinch the AL Central is the same day the Cubs are elimated from playoff contention.

Unregistered
09-03-2005, 09:47 PM
What a world...the Twins score 2 runs on 10 different hits and yet they score the winning run on 2 bunts.:rolleyes:You can thank our old buddy Bob ":gascan" Howry for that one. :thumbsup:

ChiSox14305635
09-03-2005, 09:49 PM
I truly hoped "Dangerous" Dan McNeil & Johnathon Hood have enjoyed the past 3 games after their "inspired" radio show on Thursday. :rolleyes:

Frankfan4life
09-03-2005, 09:49 PM
What a world...the Twins score 2 runs on 10 different hits and yet they score the winning run on 2 bunts.:rolleyes:Thus, taking two more digits off that magic number and making it 20. :bandance:

lths06
09-03-2005, 09:51 PM
When do we start an offical magic number thread?

CanBuehrleWait
09-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Good too see the good guys swinging some hot bats. Used August to get the junk out of their systems and starting Septemeber off right. Keep it up fellas.:D::gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-03-2005, 09:57 PM
I really really wish Detroit could sneak into the playoffs.

:cool:

:jerry
"Now don't go talkin' crazy talk!"

Cowhead418
09-03-2005, 09:58 PM
WHAT?!? You didn't choose my post-game thread-title?:redneck

SOX ADDICT '73
09-03-2005, 10:05 PM

THIS is why the Indians are a joke. Leadoff dribbler to third, Boone throws it away and Castro goes to second. Bunt over to Howry, Howry throws it into the stands, scoring Castro. Indians lose. :bandance:
It was a trifecta for Minnesota and Cleveland haters - Santana doesn't get a win, Nathan gets a blown save, and the Indians still lose! Thanks, Gas-can Howry, for doing what you seem to do best.

Now excuse me while I go vomit after rooting for the Twinkies...

PAPChiSox729
09-03-2005, 10:07 PM
It was a trifecta for Minnesota and Cleveland haters - Santana doesn't get a win, Nathan gets a blown save, and the Indians still lose! Thanks, Gas-can Howry, for doing what you seem to do best.

Now excuse me while I go vomit after rooting for the Twinkies...

Hey, our magic number decreased by one because of the Twins. I don't care how it happens, I just want to clinch ASAP!

OzzieBall2004
09-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Can we start posting the magic number to clinch homefield in the playoffs or is it too early for that?

TornLabrum
09-03-2005, 10:10 PM
I truly hoped "Dangerous" Dan McNeil & Johnathon Hood have enjoyed the past 3 games after their "inspired" radio show on Thursday. :rolleyes:

It's kind of nauseating when Jurko is right, isn't it?

Soxfanspcu11
09-03-2005, 10:11 PM
GREAT game by the Sox!! The offense is back, Mark is back! Its coming together baby! All Sox fans in the Chicago area, lets pack Comiskey for that series against the royals and Angels and lets just push this team full steam ahead into the playoffs!!!

THIS.IS.HOW.WE.DO.

P.S. There was a discussion on here a week or so ago where we were talking about players "cocking" their hats. Well, this is a new one, you guys have too see what Manny Ramirez is wearing in tonites game against Baltimore. He has like a white DOO-rag under his hat playing left field. It looks RIDICULOUS! Check it out on baseball tonite or whatever tonite!

Frankfan4life
09-03-2005, 10:14 PM

Now excuse me while I go vomit after rooting for the Twinkies...Great post! I was thinking along the same lines.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Hey, our magic number decreased by one because of the Twins. I don't care how it happens, I just want to clinch ASAP!
Hey, I admitted I was rooting for them, but I won't pretend it doesn't make me sick to my stomach. Those smug bastards have rubbed our faces in it for the last three years, and if we weren't busy mopping the floor with Detroit, I'd be rooting for the Tigers to overtake the Twins for third place.

Can we start posting the magic number to clinch homefield in the playoffs or is it too early for that?
Good Lord, we just got the divisional magic number down to 20; I don't even want to know what the HFA # is yet, since it will feel like taking several steps backwards. One thing at a time people!

PAPChiSox729
09-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey, I admitted I was rooting for them, but I won't pretend it doesn't make me sick to my stomach. Those smug bastards have rubbed our faces in it for the last three years, and if we weren't busy mopping the floor with Detroit, I'd be rooting for the Tigers to overtake the Twins for third place.

Just think about seeing the Sox celebrating on the field in a few weeks when they clinch. That should cure any ailments brought on by rooting for the Twinks.
:wink:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-03-2005, 10:26 PM
http://www.hq.usace.army.mil/history/secretariat_finish.jpg

The White Sox are opening up their lead with each and every stride.

Soxfanspcu11
09-03-2005, 10:28 PM
I dont know if I did the math correctly, but according to me, the EARLIEST the sox can clinch is September 14th at Kansas City. Can anyone confirm or deny that???

THIS.IS.HOW.WE.DO.

ndu3t4
09-03-2005, 10:35 PM
I was really worried about Mark the first couple of innings, but he really stepped it up and impressed me. Let's see Jon go out there and shut them down.

SOXintheBURGH
09-03-2005, 10:37 PM
http://www.hq.usace.army.mil/history/secretariat_finish.jpg

The White Sox are opening up their lead with each and every stride.

What are ya, some kind of Horsemaster?!

SOX ADDICT '73
09-03-2005, 10:42 PM
I dont know if I did the math correctly, but according to me, the EARLIEST the sox can clinch is September 14th at Kansas City. Can anyone confirm or deny that???
I think it would be difficult to know for sure. Of course you can count all of the Sox games until the 14th, but since the Twins might somehow overtake the Tribe between now and then, how would we know which team's losses to factor in?

Me, I'd prefer they clinch on the 21st or 24th, as I will be attending both games. I know it means an extra week of agony over your ideal scenario, but that what a memory that would make!

SouthSide_HitMen
09-03-2005, 10:45 PM
What are ya, some kind of Horsemaster?!

Never heard that term and I worked at the race track for over a decade.

The picture is Secretariat at the Belmont Stakes winning by 31 lengths.

http://www.secretariat.com/past_performance.htm

C-Dawg
09-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Santana doesn't get a win....

:)

That's the icing on the cake!

Hey is there some way we can get the Sox to stop showing that commercial for mlb.com before every game? You know, the one that shows Santana going into his windup as the voiceover goes "Hey MLB fans...." Some nights they show it twice. Almost any pitcher would be preferable to seeing Santana over and over. :angry:

Maybe I'll email Brooks about it.

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 11:04 PM
This game has me worried. They had men on 2nd and 3rd with no outs in the fifth inning and couldn't score. That kind of failure will doom them in the playoffs.

:darkclouds:

:darkcloud:

FielderJones
09-03-2005, 11:06 PM

You are correct. September 14 is the fastest that the Sox can win 10 more games. September 13 is the fastest that the Jndjans can lose 10 more games, covering the magic number 20.

What the Twins do is immaterial to your question, because you are looking for the absolute earliest that the Sox can clinch.

voodoochile
09-03-2005, 11:08 PM

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

I may never break both banks this season, but man, this race is starting to feel pretty ****ing over...

"You mean they might actually make the playoffs? Oh gawd... I don't think I can handle that pain right now... :rolleyes:

SOX ADDICT '73
09-03-2005, 11:18 PM
"You mean they might actually make the playoffs? Oh gawd... I don't think I can handle that pain right now... :rolleyes:
Voodoo, a belated thanks for the thread you started last week, pointing out that four teams, including the Tribe, have to overtake the Sox in order to bump us from the postseason.

Looking at the sick numbers the BoSox, Yanks, Angels, A's, and Indians would have to put up to accomplish that feat instantly cured my August blues! Should be required reading for all Dark Clouds...if we can find any these days.

*crickets chirp*

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Anyone happen to catch the radar gun on Jenks' final pitch? It read 101. I can't recall ever seeing a reading that high.

JB98
09-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Anyone happen to catch the radar gun on Jenks' final pitch? It read 101. I can't recall ever seeing a reading that high.

Didn't he hit 102 on the gun during the last road trip?

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Didn't he hit 102 on the gun during the last road trip?If he did, I must have missed it. Granderson looked like he didn't even see it tonight.

Wsoxmike59
09-03-2005, 11:27 PM

I was at the game tonite with Mrs. Wsoxmick59 and was watching the speed gun EXCEPT FOR THE FINAL PITCH. I was too busy high fiving Sox fans in my section, there was a good vibe inside the park tonite.

Each time I checked Jenks radar readings he was consistently 97-98 mph on the heater, and 83 on a couple of breaking balls.

Bobby Jenks MUST be on the playoff roster. I can't reiterate this statement enough!

SOX ADDICT '73
09-03-2005, 11:28 PM
He had to do something to top the 100 mph final punchout last night. This kid is a freak of nature!

I'm no pitching expert, so can any of you speak about his mechanics? Does it seem like he'll be able to sustain this level of performance without incurring a wear & tear type injury?

I'm as giddy about a triple-digit fastball as anyone else, but I don't want to see a South Side version of The Carrie Woods Story.

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 11:34 PM
He had to do something to top the 100 mph final punchout last night. This kid is a freak of nature!

I'm no pitching expert, so can any of you speak about his mechanics? Does it seem like he'll be able to sustain this level of performance without incurring a wear & tear type injury?

I'm as giddy about a triple-digit fastball as anyone else, but I don't want to see a South Side version of The Carrie Woods Story.It's a lot less of an issue since he's a reliever and throws a lot fewer pitches.

Wsoxmike59
09-03-2005, 11:39 PM
I just found this neat little graphic on CBS Sportsline.com

(If the Playoffs Started Today)

AL Division Series
http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/gamecenter/icons/OAK.gif or http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/gamecenter/icons/NYY.gif at http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/gamecenter/icons/CHW.gif
http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/gamecenter/icons/ANA.gif at http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/gamecenter/icons/BOS.gif

NL Division Series
http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/gamecenter/icons/PHI.gif at http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/gamecenter/icons/STL.gif
http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/gamecenter/icons/SD.gif at http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/gamecenter/icons/ATL.gif

mmmmmbeeer
09-03-2005, 11:49 PM
I was at the game tonite with Mrs. Wsoxmick59 and was watching the speed gun EXCEPT FOR THE FINAL PITCH. I was too busy high fiving Sox fans in my section, there was a good vibe inside the park tonite.

Each time I checked Jenks radar readings he was consistently 97-98 mph on the heater, and 83 on a couple of breaking balls.

Bobby Jenks MUST be on the playoff roster. I can't reiterate this statement enough!

Don't forget the 75mph changeup he snuck in there. I didn't expect it so I didn't pay much attention to his motion on the changeup, but even a decent motion mixed with the hitters' prospects of seeing either that hellacious curve or 100mph heater must make that change just nasty.

DickAllen72
09-03-2005, 11:55 PM

Ya think? :rolleyes:

chisoxmike
09-03-2005, 11:56 PM
I like the fact that Freddy and Buehrle bounced back from some bad outings! Let's hope Jon does the same!!!!

Overall flawless game...

:supernana: :supernana:
MAGIC NUMBER: 20 :gulp:

chisoxfanatic
09-04-2005, 12:01 AM
P.S. There was a discussion on here a week or so ago where we were talking about players "cocking" their hats. Well, this is a new one, you guys have too see what Manny Ramirez is wearing in tonites game against Baltimore. He has like a white DOO-rag under his hat playing left field. It looks RIDICULOUS! Check it out on baseball tonite or whatever tonite!

Really not a big deal, and he isn't even the first one to do it. Dimitri Young has been doing it EVERY game this season I've seen him play.

Great game to go to once again...The boos for Maggs are getting louder and louder (the guys who sat in the seats in front of me were chanting "OEO...You suckO!" That make me laugh just a little.

Iguchi seems to be really benefitting from the days off Ozzie is giving him. How many days he needs to rest for the playoffs I will support. I want this guy totally ready to kill the ball late into October.

To those with a better angle at this, how far foul was Konerko's "almost HR?" It looked like it grazed the foul pole from where I was.

Ol' No. 2
09-04-2005, 12:04 AM
I like the fact that Freddy and Buehrle bounced back from some bad outings! Let's hope Jon does the same!!!!

Overall flawless game...

:supernana: :supernana:
MAGIC NUMBER: 20 :gulp:I thought Buehrle looked a little shaky tonight, especially in the early innings. He threw a lot of pitches in the first 4 innings, and gave up 9 hits in 7 IP. But that's the mark of a good pitcher - one who can be effective even when he doesn't have his best stuff. And IMO that's reason enough for him to be the #1 starter in the playoffs. When Freddy or Garland aren't on their A game they can get rocked. Buehrle is a lot better at adapting and still giving his team a chance to win.

Ol' No. 2
09-04-2005, 12:06 AM
To those with a better angle at this, how far foul was Konerko's "almost HR?" It looked like it grazed the foul pole from where I was.My seats are on the first base side (126). It looked to be foul by about a foot - maybe two.

BigEdWalsh
09-04-2005, 12:15 AM
I really really wish Detroit could sneak into the playoffs.

:cool:

I was out watering my lawn tonight and damned if the very same thing didn't pop into my head. If only things would be so easy in the postseason.....

Brian26
09-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Great game tonight. I was rooting for Gooch to get the cycle when he came up in the 8th, but it wasn't meant to be.

Went to a Patio Party before the game. It was interesting to see Mags up close in rightfield. He really looks like he's shrunk in the shoulders and upperbody since last year (imo...just an observation).

Great game. Buehrle looked just fine, and I was impressed with all of the strikeouts in big situations. Interesting numbers for the game: Tigers had 11 hits and 11 of their batters struck out.

Jenks looked great.

Brian26
09-04-2005, 12:21 AM
It's kind of nauseating when Jurko is right, isn't it?

Hal, yes. Absolutely.

OzzieBall2004
09-04-2005, 12:22 AM
I thought Buehrle looked a little shaky tonight, especially in the early innings. He threw a lot of pitches in the first 4 innings, and gave up 9 hits in 7 IP. But that's the mark of a good pitcher - one who can be effective even when he doesn't have his best stuff. And IMO that's reason enough for him to be the #1 starter in the playoffs. When Freddy or Garland aren't on their A game they can get rocked. Buehrle is a lot better at adapting and still giving his team a chance to win.

I only read the last page, but the 8 K's really suprised me too. To scatter hits and strike guys out like that is awesome. He had them fishin' for pitches that tailed outside the zone. (You might as well subtract D'Mitri Youngs though, because he looked hopeless, must have had a date tonight)

mcp5185
09-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Great game! First game I was able to see in a while. The offense really seems to be heating up, and it couldn't come at a better time. Mark didn't appear to have his best stuff, but he did a great job of getting out of jams, and the defense was great!

All in all a great day with a white sox winner, an indians loss, and a great game by my badgers today!
:bandance: :gulp: :bandance:

JB98
09-04-2005, 12:24 AM

I'm pretty sure Jenks has locked up his postseason roster spot. If there was any doubt (and I don't think there was), that 10th inning he pitched in Minnesota sealed it.

Ol' No. 2
09-04-2005, 12:26 AM
(You might as well subtract D'Mitri Youngs though, because he looked hopeless, must have had a date tonight)No kidding. It's been a long time since I've seen someone swinging at such awful pitches - not once but over and over.

jake27
09-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Anyone happen to catch the radar gun on Jenks' final pitch? It read 101. I can't recall ever seeing a reading that high.i saw bartolo colon hit 101 at the cell when he was pitching for the sox. but whos counting? :tongue:

Lip Man 1
09-04-2005, 02:42 AM
Nice win, magic number reduced, keep up the pressure tomorrow and based on comments tonight if McCarthy pitches reasonably well in Boston Monday it looks like the Sox are going to a six man rotation. If I recall correctly Mark didn't seem thrilled with the idea.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2005, 03:40 AM
Didn't he hit 102 on the gun during the last road trip?Yes, in Seattle. The gasp of the crowd when the "102" flashed was clearly audible.

Realist
09-04-2005, 04:06 AM
I came out of the starting gate 3-0 when I attended Sox games this season. Everything was looking great. Then I went into horrible tailspin once May started. I went on a 1-15 streak. Unfrigginbelievable. My only victory was the Nothing but Nancy afternoon.

That all changed on Saturday nite. The Sox won and I was there. Nobody in the entire galaxy is happier about the outcome then I am.

:supernana: Big nana for the break of a horrible streak.:redface:

pmck003
09-04-2005, 04:53 AM
Twins win it!!

:bandance:

I agree, but I could never type this myself

Domeshot17
09-04-2005, 05:04 AM
WoW what a game. I was out all night, but thanks to blowing way too much money last week, I got to watch this game on DVR, and it was worth it. Aaron with the huge triple and Tadahito lookin to be hitting stride.

Attention Chicago: All Engines are go, sorry about the delay, we had a dead horse caught in the back burner, but everything looks good to go to october now.

MisterB
09-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Never heard that term and I worked at the race track for over a decade.

FYI it's a reference to Horsemaster Fred, a short-lived but oddly memorable poster from earlier this year.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Sage words from the Horsemaster:
Those whom dare to challenge the bulls should be horsewhipped in the opinion of this humble horsemaster. An affront to national dignity should be served in kind with a physical retaliation of the ultimate caliber. Could it be, though action is appealing to rather than none, complete factoids should be believed to write the book of love with intents nevermore malicious and delicious. And blessed be the children, who dream of love and whispers that sail upon the wind with every mention of the chicago bulls, until life do us bring together in the realm of phantasy. Creation is for the young and experienced, however, beggars be we all, and until that is grasped by any living human, peace shall remain elusive. in short GO BULLS!!

:angry:
yours in anger,
Horsemaster Fred