PDA

View Full Version : Joe Crede Update - Not looking good

SouthSide_HitMen
09-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Sep. 3 A second set of X-rays confirmed that Joe Crede (3B) CWS (http://www.rototimes.com/index.php?sport=bsball&type=profile&name=3298) has a slight break in his right index finger, according to the Daily Southtown. At this time, he still can't throw a ball or swing a bat.

Sep. 2 Joe Crede (3B) CWS (http://www.rototimes.com/index.php?sport=bsball&type=profile&name=3298) had another X-ray on the middle finger of his right hand Thursday, according to the Daily Southtown. Last week, Seattle doctors called his injury a hairline fracture in the tip of the finger, but Crede wanted a second opinion because the pain has not gone away. "It's still really sore," Crede said. "There's just no way I can play right now. Plus, it's on the wrong finger. It's on the tip of that middle finger, and that's a big pressure point for throwing. I tried throwing the other day in Texas, and there's no reason to try and go out there and be a tough guy, then all of a sudden I'm throwing balls out of the infield and hurt the team." Crede will learn the results of the X-ray today.

cheeses_h_rice
09-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Well, if that's true, I gotta say this is a tough break. Joe's defense has been exemplary most of the year.

bafiarocks03
09-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Awww..Poor Joe! We Miss you joey!:(:

JermaineDye05
09-03-2005, 01:30 PM
damn thats gonna be a tough loss, we're gonna need crede at 3rd

LongLiveFisk
09-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Wasn't this when the ump ruled he wasn't even hit by the pitch?!

PAPChiSox729
09-03-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm not saying he is the greatest replacement, but I sure am glad KW picked up Blum. Get better soon Joe!

Mohoney
09-03-2005, 02:19 PM
I don't really have anything to go on when I say this, but is it possible that while he's missing time because of the finger his back might get a little better?

Palehose13
09-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Wasn't this when the ump ruled he wasn't even hit by the pitch?!

IIRC, It was a bunt attempt and he didn't pull the bat back in time, so it was a strike.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2005, 02:56 PM
With still a month to go before the ALDS I tend to think he'll be back in plenty of time.

Lip

my5thbench
09-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Lip...you shoild be right & here's hoping he brings his bat with him

Banix12
09-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Yeah, he should still be able to return in time for the playoffs.

In the meantime I'd like to see Ozuna get the majority of play over at 3rd while he is out. I know he isn't very good over there but I'd like to see if he can make any progress toward getting better in this short time by getting regular play.

If he doesn't we all know Blum can play a solid 3b and will regardless of how much time he gets over there. It would just be nice if Ozuna could get up to the level of an average 3b so they can keep his bat in the lineup.

DumpJerry
09-03-2005, 04:57 PM
I broke my finger once, at the middle joint. For the first week, it was useless (splinted, anyway). By week four, it was servicable. Joe should be fine by the ALDS.

Reni
09-03-2005, 06:03 PM
oh I hope he is back for the playoffs......he is my favorite....

get better Joe!!!

SOXSINCE'70
09-03-2005, 08:04 PM
I don't care if Crede sits until October.Let the finger heal.
If all goes well,he should be ready for the playoffs.

:wanne
"AAAAAPPPPP, HE'S GOT A FINGER,HE'LL BE FINE."

Banix12
09-03-2005, 08:42 PM
I don't care if Crede sits until October.Let the finger heal.
If all goes well,he should be ready for the playoffs.

Yeah, it's not like the time off will adversely affect his hitting.

SomebodyToldMe
09-03-2005, 09:23 PM
At this time, he still can't throw a ball or swing a bat.

Well, to be fair, he couldn't swing a bat before the finger thing.

Sorry! I had to!

:duck:

pczarapa
09-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Sep. 3 A second set of X-rays confirmed that Joe Crede (3B) CWS (http://www.rototimes.com/index.php?sport=bsball&type=profile&name=3298) has a slight break in his right index finger, according to the Daily Southtown. At this time, he still can't throw a ball or swing a bat.

Sep. 2 Joe Crede (3B) CWS (http://www.rototimes.com/index.php?sport=bsball&type=profile&name=3298) had another X-ray on the middle finger of his right hand Thursday, according to the Daily Southtown. Last week, Seattle doctors called his injury a hairline fracture in the tip of the finger, but Crede wanted a second opinion because the pain has not gone away. "It's still really sore," Crede said. "There's just no way I can play right now. Plus, it's on the wrong finger. It's on the tip of that middle finger, and that's a big pressure point for throwing. I tried throwing the other day in Texas, and there's no reason to try and go out there and be a tough guy, then all of a sudden I'm throwing balls out of the infield and hurt the team." Crede will learn the results of the X-ray today.

Tough news, Crede was awesome this year on defense, I hope he can come back.

guillen4life13
09-03-2005, 10:49 PM
I've broken my fingers before, honestly, I don't think it will be fully ready in a month. 6 weeks, maybe, but not 4. If he gets jammed, that finger will hurt, and it's possible that his motion will be somewhat restricted with the finger.

I've never had a hairline fracture though, so I don't know much about how that would affect range of motion.

Jerome
09-03-2005, 11:24 PM
O Well, let's see what Pablo can do. We know he can't be any worse offensively.

Crede_Fan
09-04-2005, 07:26 AM
I really hope he's back for the playoffs. The pitchers need his defense behind them. I really like what Pablo brings to the plate and his speed, but Crede's D is a must come playoff time.

doublem23
09-04-2005, 10:32 AM
With still a month to go before the ALDS I tend to think he'll be back in plenty of time.

Lip

Agreed. The division title is all but wrapped up, we just need Joe to rest up come October.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-04-2005, 10:59 AM
O Well, let's see what Pablo can do. We know he can't be any worse offensively.
I agree, at the risk of sounding shoota-esque. I've always supported Crede, through good times and bad, because his defense is stellar and, even when struggling, he was always good for a clutch hit. I was a firm believer that the number of runs he saved with his glove more than made up for his overall ineptitude at the plate.

But there have to be limits! Hitting .103 in August, with his only RBI a solo home run? I know he'd been dealing with the back injury, but that's as close to an automatic out as you can get. If .200 is the Mendoza Line, and .150 is the Borchard Line, what the heck do we call .100? Whatever became of his backyard batting cage, and all the off-season work with Greg Walker on his "new swing"?

It sucks to have to make a choice, but for now I'll take Pablo's hitting and speed (especially since the guys behind him appear ready to start driving in runs again) along with the occasional 3B error, which may or may not lead to opponents' runs. And, as has already been mentioned, perhaps the time off to heal Crede's finger will rest and strengthen his back in time for the postseason.

Ol' No. 2
09-04-2005, 11:15 AM
I agree, at the risk of sounding shoota-esque. I've always supported Crede, through good times and bad, because his defense is stellar and, even when struggling, he was always good for a clutch hit. I was a firm believer that the number of runs he saved with his glove more than made up for his overall ineptitude at the plate.

But there have to be limits! Hitting .103 in August, with his only RBI a solo home run? I know he'd been dealing with the back injury, but that's as close to an automatic out as you can get. If .200 is the Mendoza Line, and .150 is the Borchard Line, what the heck do we call .100? Whatever became of his backyard batting cage, and all the off-season work with Greg Walker on his "new swing"?

It sucks to have to make a choice, but for now I'll take Pablo's hitting and speed (especially since the guys behind him appear ready to start driving in runs again) along with the occasional 3B error, which may or may not lead to opponents' runs. And, as has already been mentioned, perhaps the time off to heal Crede's finger will rest and strengthen his back in time for the postseason.Lots of guys had sucky BA in August. You can't extrapolate that to October.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Lots of guys had sucky BA in August. You can't extrapolate that to October.
I guess I'm basing my opinion on how the rest of the team is playing. When you're not scoring runs (August), you need a Gold Glover at third to keep the other team off the board too. When you're able to mash (September so far), you want a guy out there who can provide a spark and keep the line moving.

IMO, Crede at his best > Ozuna at his best, but since there's nothing we can do about it, we might as well take advantage of the things Pablo brings that Joe does not.

Jerome
09-04-2005, 03:30 PM

It sucks to have to make a choice, but for now I'll take Pablo's hitting and speed (especially since the guys behind him appear ready to start driving in runs again) along with the occasional 3B error, which may or may not lead to opponents' runs. And, as has already been mentioned, perhaps the time off to heal Crede's finger will rest and strengthen his back in time for the postseason.

You are preaching to the choir. I know Credeiocore is good defensively, but he's not so great that he should be excused for not being a major league caliber hitter. I am looking forward to see what Pablo can do.

Ol' No. 2
09-04-2005, 06:22 PM
I guess I'm basing my opinion on how the rest of the team is playing. When you're not scoring runs (August), you need a Gold Glover at third to keep the other team off the board too. When you're able to mash (September so far), you want a guy out there who can provide a spark and keep the line moving.

IMO, Crede at his best > Ozuna at his best, but since there's nothing we can do about it, we might as well take advantage of the things Pablo brings that Joe does not.You can argue that both ways. When you're not scoring runs, you need whatever offensive punch you can muster. I think all you can really do is field the best team you can and win or lose with those guys. It's possible to over-analyze the situation. Don't outsmart yourself.

TFLEM33
09-04-2005, 07:15 PM
When Crede was first called up years ago, all I heard about was his bat. What happened? Now, all you hear about is his glove. I know there is a big difference between Triple-A and MLB pitching, but after a few years, I would think Joe would figure something out. I have always been a huge fan of his, and I think his upside is much greater than his downside, but I just wonder how much longer the Sox will put up with his struggles at the plate. What do you guys think?

SoXPriDe33
09-04-2005, 07:20 PM
I've jammed my finger a long time ago playing basketball and it still hurts to this day and the mobility isn't where it should be but I bet Joe will be fine come playoff time, The Sox need the glove at the Hot Corner.

Get Well Soon Joe!!!

Daver
09-04-2005, 07:42 PM
When Crede was first called up years ago, all I heard about was his bat. What happened? Now, all you hear about is his glove. I know there is a big difference between Triple-A and MLB pitching, but after a few years, I would think Joe would figure something out. I have always been a huge fan of his, and I think his upside is much greater than his downside, but I just wonder how much longer the Sox will put up with his struggles at the plate. What do you guys think?

I think Josh Feilds was drafted high for a reason.

shoota
09-04-2005, 08:33 PM
I really hope he's back for the playoffs. The pitchers need his defense behind them. I really like what Pablo brings to the plate and his speed, but Crede's D is a must come playoff time.

:millslane

MarySwiss
09-04-2005, 09:04 PM

To: hawkanddj@ theiremailaddydujour.com
SUBJECT: What do YOU GUYS think??? :wink:

Sorry, TFLEM33; couldn't resist. But this really is a good question. I for one think they will put up with his struggles at the plate as long as he keeps playing stellar defense. Not that I'm a guy or anything. :rolleyes:

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Suppose Crede isn't ready for the ALDS. Who would you rather have starting at third base, Blum-because defense wins in the playoffs, or Ozuna-to help out the offense and take our chances at his defense at third?

JUribe1989
09-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Suppose Crede isn't ready for the ALDS. Who would you rather have starting at third base, Blum-because defense wins in the playoffs, or Ozuna-to help out the offense and take our chances at his defense at third?

I don't know what Blum has done to assure himself as a better defensive 3B than Ozuna. I actually think Ozuna might have the edge a little.

Banix12
09-05-2005, 07:37 PM

Ozuna finally seems to be making progress on learning the position now that he is getting regular play. He's slowly working his way up to being an average 3b. I would continue giving him starts up till the end of the season just to see if he shows more progress.

Blum is already pretty much an average 3b, just a little better than Ozuna. He has few lapses of judgement out there since he does have more experience out there.

If Crede were out for the playoffs I would start Ozuna but probably insert Blum in late innings.

Though my preferance would be start Ozuna at SS and throw Uribe at third probably.

VivaOzzie
09-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Though my preferance would be start Ozuna at SS and throw Uribe at third probably.

I would agree with you if it wasn't one thing...when Uribe comes up huge in times when a DP is crucial. Our pitchers depend on that at times. I agree with Ozuna at 3B and Blum in late innings (when we're up).

YourWhatHurts
09-05-2005, 07:58 PM

Lip

i hope so...we gotta go back to DEFENSE and pitching to win it all

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-05-2005, 08:19 PM
I personally agree with you guys. I'd love to have Crede back, but if that didn't happen I'd take Pablo as the starter at third and have Blum as the back up for later innings

mikehuff
09-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Joe is eligible to come back on Friday. Now if he doesn't, does that mean he's gone for another 15 days? Or is that just extended to whenever he can return?

Chez
09-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Joe is eligible to come back on Friday. Now if he doesn't, does that mean he's gone for another 15 days? Or is that just extended to whenever he can return?

The 15 days is a minimum. He can come back anytime after that. Maybe this extended rest will help his aching back as well.

maurice
09-06-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't know what Blum has done to assure himself as a better defensive 3B than Ozuna. I actually think Ozuna might have the edge a little.

Blum's edge is experience. Ozuna has gotten better defensively with experience. He certainly has the tools to play 3B.

Tekijawa
09-06-2005, 02:04 PM
I had a Crush Fracture (the bone didn't break, it looked like if you were to slighly crush a can) of my Right Pointer Finger (Pretty sure that's the correct medical terminology) And it hurt every time I shot the ball for about 2-3 weeks and then it just stopped hurting and I was alble to play right away.

DumpJerry
09-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Keep in mind, Joe's agent is Borasssss. Don't be surprised if he goes to the top hand surgeon in Europe for medical attention.

ElevenUp
09-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Apparently JC is feeling better. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050906soxbits,1,131384.story?coll=cs-home-headlines. All along I've been thinking that he'll come up big in the playoffs.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-07-2005, 01:18 AM
Apparently JC is feeling better. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050906soxbits,1,131384.story?coll=cs-home-headlines. All along I've been thinking that he'll come up big in the playoffs.

Glad to hear - I started the thread because as late as last week he couldn't throw / hold a ball. Sounded like the playoffs may have been in jeopardy. Now he has time to work back into the lineup and be up to speed by October.

Yes!!!