PDA

View Full Version : Petition to Keep John Rooney

Mr. Zero
09-03-2005, 01:11 PM
http://www.petitiononline.com/rooney/petition.html

I know it's a longshot that it'll work, but at least we can say we gave it the major league effort.

Go Sox Fans!

SOXSINCE'70
09-03-2005, 01:26 PM
I signed,although i'm not sure it will do much good.

:wills
"So NOW you leave.Damn!! I wonder if I can get out of this
bogus D-Rays gig.This is broadcast Hell;They suck!!

:rooney
"I have a sick,sick feeling in the pit of my stomach".

-John Rooney before yet ANOTHER Sox loss at the MetroDoom
(er,uh,I mean MetroDome)

PAPChiSox729
09-03-2005, 01:30 PM
I signed. I don't know if it will do much good, but I've got nothing to lose.

HotelWhiteSox
09-03-2005, 01:33 PM
I signed, I think we should get votes together from all the Sox board and send the link to Brooks, he's our best source for fan input (or maybe Reifert's blog as well), so at least they can see what the fans think

Frankfan4life
09-03-2005, 01:40 PM

I know it's a longshot that it'll work, but at least we can say we gave it the major league effort.

Go Sox Fans!It's worth a try, but, Rooney has probably thought long and hard about this decision and will not likely change his mind. This will, at least, it will let him know how we feel about him. Great job on the petiion, Mr. Zero. Thanks for giving us this opportunity.

pinwheels3530
09-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Just Signed!

Mr. Zero
09-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Oh yeah I have posted it on all the message boards so far, and I still need to do it on small ones like ESPN and Yahoo! and any others you guys can think of!

Ventura Fan 23
09-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Signed. It's a big loss...

Palehose13
09-03-2005, 03:25 PM

Go Sox Fans!

Not to discredit your effort, but did you have to write "White Sox Nation" ?

ChiSoxGirl
09-03-2005, 04:26 PM
I just signed it. I don't know how effective it'll be, but at least we're doing all we can as Sox fans to save the greatest voice in MLB broadcast booths.

SouthSideHitman
09-03-2005, 04:32 PM
I signed it. I love Ed and John. There's nothing better than driving back to Chicago at night after a long vacation and getting close enough to pick up AM 1000 and letting those two broadcasters bring you in. Not only are they a great, effective broadcasting team but hearing those two will always bring me home.

graham5
09-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Good job - I've signed up too. At least we can let him know how much he means to us. :(:

Mr. Zero
09-03-2005, 07:12 PM
I made a .tk page to point to the petition, so that we have an easier link.

www.savejohnrooney.tk

Railsplitter
09-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Not to be a wet blanket, but isn't Rooney leaving under his own accord?

FARMEO
09-03-2005, 11:09 PM
Not to be a wet blanket, but isn't Rooney leaving under his own accord?

It appears that Rooney turned down the offer from the Score because it was only a small increase from his current deal. The Score is handling negotiations.

Mr. Zero
09-04-2005, 12:28 AM
****, some *******s ruined the damn thing. I wish petitiononline let you delete crap.

HotelWhiteSox
09-04-2005, 01:18 AM
WHO ARE THE RETARDS THAT TROLLED THE PETITION??? ***!!! IS THERE A WAY TO KEEP THE SIGNATURES WITH THE STUPID COMMENTS DELETED? HOW INAPPROPRIATE! OR CAN YOU REPORT THEM :angry:

ChiSoxGirl
09-04-2005, 01:30 AM
WHO ARE THE RETARDS THAT TROLLED THE PETITION??? ***!!! IS THERE A WAY TO KEEP THE SIGNATURES WITH THE STUPID COMMENTS DELETED? HOW INAPPROPRIATE! OR CAN YOU REPORT THEM :angry:

I'm with you! Who's the :dtroll: that screwed up the ability to view the signatures?! 125 people have signed it since I did this afternoon and I wanted to read everyone's comments. Morons. :angry:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Well it looks like John Rooney's petition is the place to go where WSI banned posters go to post their innermost thoughts and observations. I.e. moronic thoughts. :(:

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2005, 02:25 AM
When I was a kid, the Sox traded away Al Smith. I ran around my neighborhood getting signatures on a petition to keep him. I think I got about thirty signatures, and figured this would be really powerful, since they were mostly from actual grownups.

I sent my petition to the Sox. I never heard a word. I suspect that this petition will be just about as effective as mine was.

I haven't gone to look at it, but I'm sorry that trolls have wrecked your effort.

Steelrod
09-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Rooney joined us in 1988, leaving the Twins immediately after they won the World Series in 1987.
It's a small price to pay, but i'm hoping!

Realist
09-04-2005, 09:14 AM
****, some *******s ruined the damn thing. I wish petitiononline let you delete crap.

Meh... they didn't ruin anything. That crap just makes the legitimate and heartfelt wishes stand out all the stronger.

MinnySoxFan
09-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Typical g-man...
I swear that kid will never get laid...

chaerulez
09-04-2005, 12:27 PM
I think the petition is directed in the wrong way. It should be asking WSCR to offer Rooney a better deal. Rooney has made his mind that he isn't going to work for the pay tha WSCR has offered him, I'm sure he knew that fans would not be happy about it, so I don't think us asking him to stay will do much good. If it does, I'd be great but I don't see this making any sort of difference in the Rooney situation.

Mr. Zero
09-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Well it is possible to send it to everyone. I intend on doing that very soon.

I wish I could delete/report the stuff on there but petitiononline offers no way to contact them at all. That's just crazy.

I'd also like to mention that we're in the petitiononline top 10. If you visit the main page you can see that. That's pretty cool.

MinnySoxFan
09-04-2005, 12:45 PM
I think if WSJ beats up G-man with visual proof...he should be unbanned. He would eliminate the nuisance...

kevingrt
09-04-2005, 01:27 PM
I might die if Rooney leaves the booth. This is oh-so important that we get Rooney back. Right now I feel like I just got divorced with someone I love. Rooney please come back!

Mr. Zero
09-04-2005, 01:32 PM
The goal: 1,000 signatures.

pavletich
09-04-2005, 01:48 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for Reinsdorf to crap on a good season. Why announce this now? Rooney got too popular (voted #1 by USA Today), asked to be compensated for his great work, and was unceremoniously dumped on. Just another in a long line for old Jerry:

-Harry
-Joe Mc Connell (said he'd rather stay home for what they want to pay broadcasters)
-Jim Durham with the Bulls

Makes me almost wish he'd have moved to St Pete so he could be enjoying the paltry crowds the Devil Rays get. We would have had an expansion team by now, played in Old Comiskey where the furthest upper deck seat there was still closer than the closest upper deck seat is now, and then still be able to go to McCuddy's for a beer after a game!

koch44
09-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Rooney got too popular (voted #1 by USA Today), asked to be compensated for his great work, and was unceremoniously dumped on. Just another in a long line for old Jerry:

-Harry
-Joe Mc Connell (said he'd rather stay home for what they want to pay broadcasters)

It's not JR's fault that the Score will offer tons of money to a racist, loud mouthed scumbag to yell in the mornings, and not give enough money to Rooney.

My radio will no longer be on the Score, except for when Sox games are on.:angry:

twsoxfan5
09-04-2005, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=pavletich]I was wondering how long it would take for Reinsdorf to crap on a good season. Why announce this now?

I believe that this would have gotten out no matter what, because these things just have a way of getting out. Also correct me if I am wrong but I do not think that this is Jerry's fault. The negotiations are with the Score and not with the White Sox. In my opinion Rooney and Farmer both deserve more b/c they are the best boradcast team in the game.

BigEdWalsh
09-04-2005, 02:07 PM
I signed. Doubtful it will do any good but it sure doesn't hurt to try.:smile:

Mr. Zero
09-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Good news!

I contacted petitiononline and they gave me admin powers to the petition. The result: I deleted all the garbage by the trolls!

W00t!

pavletich
09-04-2005, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=pavletich]I was wondering how long it would take for Reinsdorf to crap on a good season. Why announce this now?

I believe that this would have gotten out no matter what, because these things just have a way of getting out. Also correct me if I am wrong but I do not think that this is Jerry's fault. The negotiations are with the Score and not with the White Sox. In my opinion Rooney and Farmer both deserve more b/c they are the best boradcast team in the game.

Well then I guess the good news is I can't wait until Mr. Reinsdorf finds out how WSCR is tampering with the best broadcast team in baseball.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-07-26-announcers-al_x.htm

Boy is he going to be ticked off! ;)

Don't believe for a minute that if the Chairman wanted Rooney back he'd let the Score launch him. But if it truly isn't his call, let's see his efforts to reverse a clearly unpopular decision! Your serve Pontius!

HotelWhiteSox
09-04-2005, 02:44 PM

Agreed, looks like a great pace so far! Also, it looks like the trolls stuff got deleted, nice to see

I'm trying to post links everywhere I know White Sox fans are

SouthSide_HitMen
09-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Why announce this now?

The Sox / Score tried to bury this announcing it on a Friday evening before a three day holiday weekend with people going out of town and doing other things (Friday evening is notorious for companies, government and others to announce "bad news" so it is as buried as possible).

My guess is they have a replacement they want to announce sometime before the end of the season or they are trying to bring in people to interview and wanted the prospective prospects to know there is a real job opening and what it is for (unfortunately for the color position Farmer should stay in).

I sent an email to the Score programmers. Maybe if they get enough feedback they will reconsider keeping Rooney (I doubt because that may not be repaired at this point) or at minimum getting a professional announcer to do PBP and keep Farmer yapping at Color (which is bad enough as it is).

SouthSide_HitMen
09-04-2005, 03:20 PM

Well you are over 25% there which is excellent considering it is Labor Day weekend and many people won't log in to see this thread until Tuesday.

Good Luck.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Just signed - 272 as of two minutes ago.

Mr. Zero
09-04-2005, 06:51 PM
This thread is pinned at two other message boards, can we pin it here as well?

It'd be great if all the Sox message boards worked together to show our appreciation for Rooney.

Chips
09-04-2005, 06:57 PM

I thought broadcasters were employeed by the White Sox.

HotelWhiteSox
09-04-2005, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=twsoxfan5]

I thought broadcasters were employeed by the White Sox.

It's been noted in different articles that it's been Rooney and the Score who could not reach a deal

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-05-2005, 09:35 PM
I signed yesterday, ( I also snuck my brothers signature on there-he's a Cubs fan) Although it's a long shot I really hope it works. There's nothing better than Ed and John in the booth and hearing "that's a white sox winner" after a great game.

bludupree
09-05-2005, 10:14 PM
This is terrible news. I think the petition is a nice gesture, but my guess is that we need to target the score. I'm sure they figure that the same people will listen to Sox games no matter who is announcing, so why pay more than they have to. The best bet is to let the score know how much he means to us and that we will boycott the station. A public announcement or petition like that will open the eyes of the people who pay for advertising and hurt the score's wallet.

The Dude
09-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Just signed the petition. I also said in the other Rooney thread that I will not listen to the score anymore and did send an email to them stating just that. Hopefully it's not too late and we can keep John with us on the southside.

Mr. Zero
09-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Can someone PM me with an email address to the Score so I can show them this petition and the progress its making?

SouthBendSox
09-06-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm saddened and shocked by this news

WS baseball just won't be the same...

just another reason to hate WSCR I guess

Mr. Zero
09-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Hey guys I got another idea. We should get as many people as possible to email Hawk and DJ the next couple of games to try and pimp the petition. I've been emailing it, and I've got witesoxfan, Cubssuck1, and whitesoxfan 56789 emailing him tomorrow too. We need your help! http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

iamkoza
09-06-2005, 01:21 AM
When North had JR on to announce this moving to the score, I'm pretty sure JR said Rooney and Ed would both be back, but I guess he madea promise that he doesnt have control over.

zmz723
09-06-2005, 10:45 AM
im #500

DannyCaterFan
09-06-2005, 11:05 AM
I think what we are all missing here is the possibility that John wants to make a change in his life after all these years with the Sox. There are rumors out there suggesting that he may be interested in going back to Missouri, possibly to do Cardinal games on their new flagship station. Maybe with the switch to WSCR next year, he is using this as an opportunity to make the jump, hoping to get a much larger contract from the Score. With that not happening, he possibly is just using this as the right time to leave.
I would love if John would stay. he is great at his job. But he is such a good guy, I just wish him well in whatever he wants to do. Thanks John Rooney for many hours of listening pleasure!

skobabe8
09-06-2005, 12:11 PM
I just signed. There are over 530 right now. Man every time I think about this it makes me sick to my stomach.

PicktoCLick72
09-06-2005, 12:15 PM
AS much as I love Rooney, the reorts are saying he got an offfer from the Sox and turned it down. Maybe he wants to explore more optins in his career.

LauraJ14
09-06-2005, 05:14 PM
AS much as I love Rooney, the reorts are saying he got an offfer from the Sox and turned it down. Maybe he wants to explore more optins in his career.

The offer wasn't from the Sox, it was the Score.

bennyw41
09-06-2005, 05:37 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for Reinsdorf to crap on a good season. Why announce this now? Rooney got too popular (voted #1 by USA Today), asked to be compensated for his great work, and was unceremoniously dumped on. Just another in a long line for old Jerry:

-Harry

Makes me almost wish he'd have moved to St Pete so he could be enjoying the paltry crowds the Devil Rays get. We would have had an expansion team by now, played in Old Comiskey where the furthest upper deck seat there was still closer than the closest upper deck seat is now, and then still be able to go to McCuddy's for a beer after a game!

This is crap, you obviously have some other bias against JR. Its clear this wasn't his call, and you are perpetuating a myth of him being the devil. :dtroll:

bennyw41
09-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Meanwhile, I know your intentions are well in this petition, but

1. What business is going to make a monetary decsion based on 650 people off the internet?
2. When has an online petition worked in anyones favor....ever?
3. Rooney made the decision, perhaps you should petition him personally to change his mind.

I like Rooney a lot, but change is inevitable, he wasn't forced out, its not a scandal, he wants to move on so, lets move on people.

sageofthesox
09-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Rooney is a broadcasting superstar. This is a huge loss.

I hope his last call is a "White Sox winner!" at the end of October.

JohnBasedowYoda
09-06-2005, 06:08 PM
I signed. It's not eloquent but it's ok.

Mr. Zero
09-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Wow we got a serious amount of signatures today, we're over 600 now! Let's keep going Sox fans!

The March to 1,000

Shorty1983
09-06-2005, 07:20 PM
You got my electronic John Hancock, keep it rolling.

This feels like a crime, Free Rooney!

peeonwrigley
09-06-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm not a big-time Rooney fan like most of you guys, but he's done that games for about 90% of my lifetime and I never listen to the games unless its a last resort anyways. Since he's been a part of the Sox for so long and most fans love him, I signed. Like I said, I'm rarely listening on the radio anyhow.

GoGoSox05
09-07-2005, 09:34 AM
sign this petition being sent to john rooney by southsiders.net to keep him on white sox radio!

www.petitiononline.com/rooney (http://www.petitiononline.com/rooney)

Mr. Zero
09-07-2005, 11:42 AM
I recieved an email from Brooks regarding John, thought I'd share with you all:

David,

Thanks for your note.

It is disappointing that John will not be on our broadcasts after this
season. He is a fantastic broadcaster and I will personally miss the
"and that's a White Sox winner" call.

I think (and this is my opinion only) that during the negotiation
process with WSCR, John really thought about what he wanted to do. He
is a very talented broadcaster that has a wide range of talents (he has
done basketball and baseball play by play as well as hosted call in
shows) and I think he wants to explore the next steps in his career. It
is a big broadcasting world out there and there may be other TV and
radio opportunities that may interest him. I know he loves the White
Sox organization, and I cannot blame him for wanting to grow. I
personally wish him well. There is no animosity, rather a great mutual
respect between John and the entire White Sox organization.

John will move on and pursue his broadcasting passion. We will work
diligently with WSCR to bring the best radio broadcast possible for our
fans next season.

Knowing John, I know he will appreciate your efforts and the kind words
that will be shared at the website.

All the best and thanks for being a fan of the White Sox,

Brooks