PDA

View Full Version : Freddy's my number one

veeter
09-03-2005, 11:53 AM
When the playoffs start, if I were the manager, Freddy would start game one. The rest of the rotation is debatable, based on the match-ups. But for me, I want game one dominated and Freddy's the guy.

buehrle4cy05
09-03-2005, 12:00 PM
I've been thinking the same thing. He's pitched in the playoffs before, and seems to get up for big games.

santo=dorf
09-03-2005, 12:05 PM
I really don't want to see him pitching at home, but if it's a day game......

veeter
09-03-2005, 12:24 PM
I really don't want to see him pitching at home, but if it's a day game...... Trust me you'll want to see him pitching anywhere.

gobears1987
09-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Freddy has pitched the opener of a playoff series at Comiskey. The M's won and the Sox lost. I wish I could forget that series. Let's just say I'm glad Freddy is on our side this time.

Whitesox05
09-05-2005, 12:17 PM
When the playoffs start, if I were the manager, Freddy would start game one. The rest of the rotation is debatable, based on the match-ups. But for me, I want game one dominated and Freddy's the guy.

I agree with you! I said that on this board and I basically got lynched! The bottom line is that our top 3 big game pitchers (in no order): Garcia, Contreras, and El Duque. I feel very confident with them in the playoffs. It all depends on matchups and if it is the A's, Red Sox, Angels or Yankees....Buehrle is not my ace for those series. Freddy is. If it is against those teams mentioned, then I roll with those 3 pitchers as my top rotation. Buehrle would maybe be #4.

Foulke You
09-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Sorry guys, I have to disagree. I'm about as big a Freddy fan as there is, but I have to play the numbers here. Freddy pitches a hell of a lot better on the road. Therefore, he should pitch game 3 on the road.

Buehrle is my #1. You gotta go with the guy who has been the rock of this pitching staff for the past 4 years in Game 1. Game 2, I'd go with Garland. Game 4, El Duque or Contreras. That is my rotation.

lths06
09-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Sorry guys, I have to disagree. I'm about as big a Freddy fan as there is, but I have to play the numbers here. Freddy pitches a hell of a lot better on the road. Therefore, he should pitch game 3 on the road.

Buehrle is my #1. You gotta go with the guy who has been the rock of this pitching staff for the past 4 years in Game 1. Game 2, I'd go with Garland. Game 4, El Duque or Contreras. That is my rotation.

I have to agree. I want Freddy pitching the first road game.

spanishwhite
09-05-2005, 02:37 PM

It really depends on the match up and if it is a day or night game. The Sox are really blessed in the fact that they have 4 pitchers they can count on depending on the matchup.

VivaOzzie
09-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Freddy seems to throw everything hes got when he needs to most, against an ace (ie Santana recently). I think you figure out what pitcher will give us the most trouble, and throw Freddy out there against him.

Chips
09-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Freddy is 3-2 with a 3.71 ERA in the playoff including 2 ALCS wins over the Yankmees.

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-05-2005, 03:52 PM
With Freddy being the big game pitcher that he is there is no question that I would like him pitching the first game of the playoffs in front of a packed house at the cell

Ol' No. 2
09-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Freddy is 3-2 with a 3.71 ERA in the playoff including 2 ALCS wins over the Yankmees.Hernandez' postseason numbers are much better than that. Shouldn't he be starting game one of the playoffs?

Dibbs
09-05-2005, 03:59 PM
I am surprised it took someone so long to say Buehrle. He is no question the game 1 starter....I love Garcia but lets get real.

Chips
09-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Hernandez' postseason numbers are much better than that. Shouldn't he be starting game one of the playoffs?

I like Mark to start game one, I was just posting Freddy's numbers. Game 2 to Garland, Game 3 to Garcia.

Ol' No. 2
09-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I like Mark to start game one, I was just posting Freddy's numbers. Game 2 to Garland, Game 3 to Garcia.I'm with you there. Right now the rotation is set up Garcia, Buehrle, Garland and Hernandez. Garcia would start his last regular season game on 9/29, which would line him up up to start the first playoff game on 10/4 on normal rest. Either Ozzie is planning on starting Garcia first or he's got some juggling to do.

Daver
09-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Hernandez' postseason numbers are much better than that. Shouldn't he be starting game one of the playoffs?

In my opinion, absolutely. If he is on it is an easy win no matter the opponent, and if he isn't, you are running Mark, Jon and Freddy out there to back him up in consecutive games.

SOXSINCE'70
09-05-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm with you there. Right now the rotation is set up Garcia, Buehrle, Garland and Hernandez. Garcia would start his last regular season game on 9/29, which would line him up up to start the first playoff game on 10/4 on normal rest. Either Ozzie is planning on starting Garcia first or he's got some juggling to do.

Shouldn't Brandon McCarthy get a few more starts??:dunno: :dunno:
Just asking.I also agree about El Duque.With 3 WS rings and an
8-3 post season record,he's my #1 if he's throwing well.
If not,Garcia's the man.

Whitesox05
09-05-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm with you there. Right now the rotation is set up Garcia, Buehrle, Garland and Hernandez. Garcia would start his last regular season game on 9/29, which would line him up up to start the first playoff game on 10/4 on normal rest. Either Ozzie is planning on starting Garcia first or he's got some juggling to do.

Ummmm....it all depends on who we are facing. Mark would not be my ace against Oakland and Boston. That would be stupid....he has gotten ripped by those 2 teams this year. Be smart about the situation. If it is against those 2 teams and the yankees and angels, I might start Garcia. It just depends! It is blind to say that Buehrle should be our #1 regardless of who we play. Oakland dominates him and if we play them, should should be our #2 or #3. I like Mark just as much as everyone else here, but I am just being realistic here though.

Ol' No. 2
09-05-2005, 05:49 PM
In my opinion, absolutely. If he is on it is an easy win no matter the opponent, and if he isn't, you are running Mark, Jon and Freddy out there to back him up in consecutive games.The problem with Hernandez is that his best years are in the rearview mirror. He started one game last year in post-season, lasting 5 innings and giving up 3 runs. Before that he pitched 6.1 innings in two relief appearances in the 2002 ALDS. I'm not sure I'd put the big bet on Hernandez to start the first game. IMO, he's here to be the fourth starter.

Daver
09-05-2005, 06:00 PM
The problem with Hernandez is that his best years are in the rearview mirror. He started one game last year in post-season, lasting 5 innings and giving up 3 runs. Before that he pitched 6.1 innings in two relief appearances in the 2002 ALDS. I'm not sure I'd put the big bet on Hernandez to start the first game. IMO, he's here to be the fourth starter.

My idea is a gamble, a calculated gamble, in his two starts off the DL this year, Orlando was unhittable, use McCarthy to give him plenty of rest in Sept. and start him in game one with ten to fouteen days rest. If he remains true to form, the Sox win game one with their three BEST pitchers still available for the rest of the series, and Contreas in the pen. I like their chance of making it to the ALCS that way.

Ol' No. 2
09-05-2005, 06:07 PM
My idea is a gamble, a calculated gamble, in his two starts off the DL this year, Orlando was unhittable, use McCarthy to give him plenty of rest in Sept. and start him in game one with ten to fouteen days rest. If he remains true to form, the Sox win game one with their three BEST pitchers still available for the rest of the series, and Contreas in the pen. I like their chance of making it to the ALCS that way.I agree with you about giving him a lot of rest. He's starting tomorrow and would be due to start again next Sunday. I'd start McCarthy in his place on Sunday and continue to space his starts out. But I don't think I'd take that big a gamble to start him in Game 1. I have enough confidence in Buehrle, Garland and Garcia. And I'd feel pretty good about having Hernandez set up for Game 4 (if necessary).

veeter
09-05-2005, 10:21 PM
This is a good problem to have, which stud do we choose. But in '93 McDowell was a bad match up with Toronto and the Sox paid big time. Buerhle's my favorite player on the team but I just think Freddy is the right guy.

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2005, 08:59 AM
My idea is a gamble, a calculated gamble, in his two starts off the DL this year, Orlando was unhittable, use McCarthy to give him plenty of rest in Sept. and start him in game one with ten to fouteen days rest. If he remains true to form, the Sox win game one with their three BEST pitchers still available for the rest of the series, and Contreas in the pen. I like their chance of making it to the ALCS that way.

That's it. You've convinced me.:bandance:

Ol' No. 2
09-06-2005, 09:33 AM
This is a good problem to have, which stud do we choose. But in '93 McDowell was a bad match up with Toronto and the Sox paid big time. Buerhle's my favorite player on the team but I just think Freddy is the right guy.McDowell wasn't a bad matchup. He was tipping his pitches.

Rooney4Prez56
09-06-2005, 10:04 AM

Yep, but if its to clinch the ALDS, I want El Duque pitching.

chopperjc
09-06-2005, 10:12 AM
With 6 starters this is a good problem to have. I want el duque comming in from the pen.

elrod
09-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Depends on the opponent. If it's Oakland, I say: Garland #1, Buehrle #2, Freddy #3 on the road. If it's Boston, I say same thing. If it's New York, I say Buehrle #1, Garland #2, Garcia #3. If it's the Angels, then Buehrle #1, Garcia #2, Garland #3.

elrod
09-06-2005, 03:32 PM
The only problem with Buehrle pitching is that the fielders might take a vacation...