PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Man It's Great to Play the Tigers Postgame Thread 9/2/05

cheeses_h_rice
09-02-2005, 10:38 PM
9-1.

Dominance.

ChiWhiteSox1337
YES! Nice win! It even had the rare Willie Harris HR!

:bandance:

bestkosher
great game great pitching great hitting, and shot off the butt of Jenks, the offical sponsor for mullet night.

mccoydp
09-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Frickin' awesome.

Good game tonight; even Wee Willy had a homer!

Gotta love the 2-hitter thrown by Garcia!

Is it me, or was Jenks bringing it on in the 9th? Awesome.

Brian26
09-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Magic Number = 22
AL Central Lead = 8.0 (pending Indians final, then it will be 7.5).

PaleHoseGeorge
09-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Any chance we can get Detroit into the wild card?

:wink:

FielderJones
:winner

Let the hit parade continue. The Tiggers are truly our get well card.

Another game off the schedule, and nothing the trailers can do about it.

I predict more two more days of sunshine. :cool:

delben91

Last pitch to Pena was at 100mph on the TV's gun.

Great pitching. Slick fielding. And hitting the ball the other way when it was pitched there, and turning on it hard when they grooved one. This is the White Sox baseball I've grown to love over the past 5 months. Let's keep it going for another 2. :cool:

PeteWard
09-02-2005, 10:42 PM

That would have been Jenks, I think. :D:

Great night and it looks like we could get another 4 game sweep--:bandance: considering the pitching match-ups.

TornLabrum
09-02-2005, 10:42 PM
The collapse of the Sox continues.

RadioheadRocks
09-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Bring on the 'nanas!!!

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-02-2005, 10:50 PM

Don't be so negative - we still have a chance of catching Cleveland.

Soxfanspcu11
09-02-2005, 10:50 PM
I guess its just a matter of time before Willie's positive steroid results come in!!

At any rate, in a sox beatdown like this it was nice to see some garbage time for the Sept callups to get some major league work, at least to be familiar with it at any rate.

Is anyone else subscribing to the Ozzie's shaving theory???

THIS.IS.HOW.WE.DO

GO SOX!!!

tebman
09-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Okay, Willie...I take back some of the things I said about you, but I'd still like to see you bunt. :D:

Great game all the way around! This is how they got here, and I hope this is the way they finish it out!

DickAllen72
09-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Ozzie should stick with this lineup until we lose a game. Play the hot hands and give Iguchi some rest for the playoffs.

Cowhead418
09-02-2005, 10:52 PM
All this means is that it's no longer possible to have anything but a winning record.:tongue: :redneck

JB98
09-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Two dominant wins in a row. Let's get on a roll and put this division away once and for all.

:supernana: :supernana:

Johnny Mostil
09-02-2005, 10:57 PM

A dozen runs last night, only nine tonight . . . how long can this decline continue?

PeteWard
09-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Gained a game on Boston tonight for home field (sorry Jay-Jay, I am NOT worried about Cleveland even though they are the better team ) which, given Boston's record at home, is going to be important I think.

noquitter
09-02-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. It used to seem like you had to hate the Sox or something to post around here. I couldn't believe the nightly vitriol against the team and players. They have the best record in the AL! Everybody else is jealous of our team. Anyway, it looks like things are changing around here and it's safe to pull for the Sox. Go Sox!!

PeteWard
09-02-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. It used to seem like you had to hate the Sox or something to post around here. I couldn't believe the nightly vitriol against the team and players. They have the best record in the AL! Everybody else is jealous of our team. Anyway, it looks like things are changing around here and it's safe to pull for the Sox. Go Sox!!

Suggest you take a look at a Yankees board. This is nothing.

noquitter
09-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Suggest you take a look at a Yankees board. This is nothing.Hell, I'd be pissed too if the Sox had a $225 million payroll and sucked. :D:

Jurr
09-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeah...and Oakland is going a long way towards proving that point currently. Last time I turned on the game it was 10-0 in the second with NO OUTS.

Frankfan4life
09-02-2005, 11:17 PM
This is such a welcome respite from the nail-biters. I'm lovin it. Carry on, White Sox, carry on!

tebman
09-02-2005, 11:34 PM
:welcome: Hop on board, my friend! Enjoy the ride!

NSSoxFan
09-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Geez, only two pages, what a surprise.

Anyways, the march to a championship continues...

BigEdWalsh
09-02-2005, 11:44 PM
This is such a welcome respite from the nail-biters. I'm lovin it. Carry on, White Sox, carry on!

Man, you got that right! How cool has it been to not only have the Sox come home and win but to win easily? The last 2 nights have been awesome. Keep on keepin' on!!

Soxfanspcu11
09-02-2005, 11:48 PM
That really was a great game tonite, 2 in a row which is a great start to september!

Slightly off the subject though, how come the A's are slapping around the yankees to the tune of 11-0 in the 4th?????

I dont understand this. I know flukes can happen but didnt they have Leiter starting for them tonite?? Who is suposedly there savior or something??

Hmmm, Red Sox lose AT HOME to the lowly orioles and yankees are getting it handed to them, anyone want to make bets about how ESPN is going to spin doctor this into being a "positive" thing for the BoSox and yanks. Also, our offense got lucky again tonite right? And the pitching staff has just been lucky that the Mighty tigers offense hasnt lit them up. Does the Tribune have some sort of printing or publishing center in Bristol?

Anyway too not go off the topic, Freddy looked great tonite and he had a no hitter into the fourth. Yes the offense has been incredible the last two games but how come no one is mentioning that the last two starting pitchers (conteras and Garcia) have pitched no hitters into the 5th and 4th innings respectively???

bafiarocks03
09-03-2005, 12:17 AM
YAH!!!!!!!!!! OH YEAH!!! See people..I think from now on...you keep your negative Willie Harris comments to yourself!!! Cuz he was 2-3 the past 2 nights and was what 2-4 today with A HOME RUN!!!!!! And WIllie Harris hitting a home run is huge!!!! :D: Yay WILLIE!!!!!

SOX ADDICT '73
09-03-2005, 12:25 AM
YAH!!!!!!!!!! OH YEAH!!! See people..I think from now on...you keep your negative Willie Harris comments to yourself!!! Cuz he was 2-3 the past 2 nights and was what 2-4 today with A HOME RUN!!!!!! And WIllie Harris hitting a home run is huge!!!! :D: Yay WILLIE!!!!!
*Sigh*...It was only a matter of time. :wink:

The first thing I thought when that ball cleared the fence was, "Bafiarocks has to be going nuts right now."

Actually, that was the second thing I thought - the first was, "Holy crap! Willie Harris just hit a home run!?!"

Who would have thought that on Sept. 2, Wee Willie would have more HR than Barry Bonds? :tongue:

BigEdWalsh
09-03-2005, 12:30 AM

Forgive us, Bafiarocks!! I love the new and improved Willie!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH YEAH!!!!

C-Dawg
09-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Who would have thought that on Sept. 2, Wee Willie would have more HR than Barry Bonds? :tongue:

And is this more than he hit in all of 2004?

Anyway, I just got home from the game. Great bunt by Rowand in the 2nd, and great stuff from Freddy for all 7 innings. Awesome game overall! The only down side to it all was listening to Levine on AM1000 afterwards complaining about Sox' attendance woes.

SOecks
09-03-2005, 12:38 AM
And is this more than he hit in all of 2004?

Anyway, I just got home from the game. Great bunt by Rowand in the 2nd, and great stuff from Freddy for all 7 innings. Awesome game overall! The only down side to it all was listening to Levine on AM1000 afterwards complaining about Sox' attendance woes.

Wait a minute, you can't be serious. What was that clown complaining about? Can you give any more detail, because we've been coming out in droves this year. Either way, great win even though I wasn't able to see the whole thing. Bittersweet though with the news on Rooney but the team played well tonight and it's great to be 2-0 in September.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Nice win, nice to see some hits striung together taking the pressure off the pitching. By the way, Ozzie in the post game presser said the park is starting to play like it was in April / May (i.e. cooler weather...) That can only be great news for the pitching staff.

Lip

Soxfanspcu11
09-03-2005, 12:49 AM
I was there yesterday (thursday) and it looked dead, the official attendance annoucement was 20,700 or something and tonite it didnt look very full either. But thats just two games. But I do know a few people who were planning on going to this series this weekend but were upset by the sox overall poor play of late(last 2 weeks) and wanted to save their money for the playoffs.(yes sox fans have these weird things to do in the day-time called jobs that dont offer unlimited money). At any rate lets keep in mind that gas prices are through the roof and many people dont want to or dont feel comfortable taking public transit there. I freakin love the sox and I would be there every game but I just do not have the money for that! I ALWAYS watch the game on TV though if i cant be there in person. Does this make me not loyal? No, just not a spoiled bastard from Schaumburg(no offense to sox fans in shaumburgh) but you know what Im hinting at.

C-Dawg
09-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Wait a minute, you can't be serious. What was that clown complaining about? Can you give any more detail, because we've been coming out in droves this year.

I stopped in for a diet Pepsi and missed a caller who started the attendance thing; Levine responded by saying "Why does attendance always nosedive in September just because school has started? It should be 30,000 at least given they still have the best record in the AL".

I dunno, he may have hit the nail on the head - the Sox attract a lot of families and its difficult to drag the kids down there on a weeknight for that very reason! But Levine must think that's a knock against Sox fans.

Anyway, I'll be there Sunday too; these Fridays are nice but I have to pull strings to leave work early to get there on time (you know, if we didn't have to work we could go to ALL the games and then we'd have 3 million attendance).

ChiSoxlukes
09-03-2005, 01:13 AM
Fear not Sox fans: WE ARE BACK! AND READY FOR OCT!

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2005, 04:19 AM
Wait a minute, you can't be serious. What was that clown complaining about? Can you give any more detail, because we've been coming out in droves this year. Either way, great win even though I wasn't able to see the whole thing. Bittersweet though with the news on Rooney but the team played well tonight and it's great to be 2-0 in September.

Could it possibly be because tons of people are glued to their TV sets watching CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc... for coverage of the American disaster on the Gulf Coast for the past four days?

Anyways, did not get to watch this one, as I was visiting at my parents' house tonight for the little sister's birthday. After reading the TBGR, it looks like we totally dominated Detroit...AGAIN! That makes us 10-3 against the *****cats this season. Chicago is really beating up on Detroit!

TaylorStSox
09-03-2005, 05:42 AM
I feel some bans coming. We play really well for 2 games. So, the dark clouds bring up ummmmm.....I'm scared to say it.

Good game by everyone who played. It's nice to see Juan put it together. He's going to start taking the pressure off the middle of the order.

Also, Willie's a major league player. It won't be with us, but he'll land somewhere and play well.

cbone
09-03-2005, 08:49 AM
I love the momentum. Keep it going all weekend. I know it's the Tigers but everything feels like it's coming together again. I sense a great September and carry that into the playoffs!

Dan H
09-03-2005, 08:50 AM
I stopped in for a diet Pepsi and missed a caller who started the attendance thing; Levine responded by saying "Why does attendance always nosedive in September just because school has started? It should be 30,000 at least given they still have the best record in the AL".

I dunno, he may have hit the nail on the head - the Sox attract a lot of families and its difficult to drag the kids down there on a weeknight for that very reason! But Levine must think that's a knock against Sox fans.

Anyway, I'll be there Sunday too; these Fridays are nice but I have to pull strings to leave work early to get there on time (you know, if we didn't have to work we could go to ALL the games and then we'd have 3 million attendance).

Actually the Sox are not completely out of the woods with the attendance problem. The fallout of the '90's really hurt the franchise.

However, this will be their best attendance in over 10 years and if they keep it up, they can truly rebuild their fan base. Regardless, I am sick of the media harping on attendance. It comes across as a slap in the face to the die hard fan and comes across as senseless whining. If these critics really want fans to come out, they wouldn't use their media pulpit to bash fans over the head. It is getting old and every time I hear on the radio, I turn the dial. If I read in the paper, I turn the page.

wassagstdu
09-03-2005, 09:13 AM
So Maggs was out because of having been drilled by Contreras in the 9th inning Thursday. Was that payback for something that happened before the break? Sorry, I've lost track.

TornLabrum
09-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Actually the Sox are not completely out of the woods with the attendance problem. The fallout of the '90's really hurt the franchise.

However, this will be their best attendance in over 10 years and if they keep it up, they can truly rebuild their fan base. Regardless, I am sick of the media harping on attendance. It comes across as a slap in the face to the die hard fan and comes across as senseless whining. If these critics really want fans to come out, they wouldn't use their media pulpit to bash fans over the head. It is getting old and every time I hear on the radio, I turn the dial. If I read in the paper, I turn the page.

Dan, read my columns. Attendance falls after school starts, especially weeknights. We've been in session since a week ago Wednesday. Joliet schools started on Aug. 19. Colleges have been in sesson since sometime during the last road trip.

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Forgive us, Bafiarocks!! I love the new and improved Willie!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH YEAH!!!!:weewillie That Scott Podsednik is SO overrated. I've got more homers than him.

hawkjt
09-03-2005, 10:21 AM
I see no reason why Willie cannot be a future utility infielder for the Sox. I really think the kid has some talent and just needs to learn to relax in his role. He was hitting .325 last year before Robbie A. was acquired and he got few AB's. Strictly as a utility guy he has value to the Sox. Pablo and him can fill that role as both also can play the OF.

Love the run production. Go Sox.

voodoochile
09-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Could it possibly be because tons of people are glued to their TV sets watching CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc... for coverage of the American disaster on the Gulf Coast for the past four days?

Anyways, did not get to watch this one, as I was visiting at my parents' house tonight for the little sister's birthday. After reading the TBGR, it looks like we totally dominated Detroit...AGAIN! That makes us 10-3 against the *****cats this season. Chicago is really beating up on Detroit!

Yes, that has a lot to do with it. Our restaurant is dead too as is the one I trained at.

In times of trouble people hunker down and save their money. Right now there is so much up for grabs (gasoline prices, etc.) that people are not going out as much as they were just last week. It's also Labor Day weekend and a lot of people take their final vacation. With the division all but sewed up and the Bears playing on Thursday night, it isn't surprising to see a bit of a drop off, IMO.

I bet they do fine tonight with the fireworks display.

:winner

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

MRKARNO
09-03-2005, 10:49 AM
By the way, Ozzie in the post game presser said the park is starting to play like it was in April / May (i.e. cooler weather...) That can only be great news for the pitching staff.

Yes, this is excellent news. Maybe a month of play like this will lead folks around here and around the halls of sports outlets everywhere to believe that we really are the top AL World Series contender again. We won because of the starting pitching early on, especially from Buehrle, Garland and Garcia. A return to dominance of the big three will inevitably mean good things for the White Sox.

Red Barchetta
09-03-2005, 10:59 AM
9-1.

Dominance.

Wow! 9-1. Amazing considering the Tigers have so much more "talent" and are "Better or Paper". :tongue:

doublem23
09-03-2005, 12:04 PM
I see no reason why Willie cannot be a future utility infielder for the Sox.

Here's why

:weewillie
I'm starting material, baby. Chicks don't dig benchwarmers.

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Here's why

I'm starting material, baby. Chicks don't dig benchwarmers.Find me one bench player in the major leagues who doesn't think he's starter material. It would be far worse if he DIDN'T think he was starter material.

MisterB
09-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Here's why

I'm starting material, baby. Chicks don't dig benchwarmers.

...or the fact he can only play one position. Not much 'utility' there....