PDA

View Full Version : Rooney: He gone

NotSince1917
09-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Club announced tonight that Ed Farmer will make the switch to WSCR next year, but John Rooney will not.

HotelWhiteSox
09-02-2005, 06:23 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?!!?

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I heard that MJH were going to announce a major broadcasting shakeup in Chicago and I was hoping it was on the TV side if regarding us at all.

This blows! :whiner: :angry:

soxfan43
09-02-2005, 06:23 PM
ANy reason behind the change?? Doesn't sound too smart to break up the top radio team in the AL

frontrunner3
09-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Hopefully Willsy has an out clause in his contract w/ the d-rays.

winning ugly 72
09-02-2005, 06:27 PM
i hate to hear this rooney and farmer are the best

FJA
09-02-2005, 06:28 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050902rooney,1,4916631.story?coll=cs-home-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

There's the link.

MRKARNO
09-02-2005, 06:30 PM
This is great! Maybe Hawk can multi-task and do both broadcasts. Awesome!

In all honesty, this is just plain awful. Rooney and Farmer are the best and Rooney was a much bigger part of that than Farmer.

JohnBasedowYoda
09-02-2005, 06:30 PM
well what's rooney gonna do at espn? this makes my blood boil man.

Hopefully his last year is a winner

PaleHoseGeorge
09-02-2005, 06:32 PM
This is a sad sad day in White Sox Fandom.

:(:

Rooney is the best.

:rooney
"Share a radio station with that dope in the mornings? You can fergettaboutit!"

:ass
"Bark twice Licorice if you think Papi ought to take Rooney's spot!"

BigEdWalsh
09-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Wow, if this is true I'm really sorry to hear it. Rooney is terrific and I like Farmio teamed up with Rooney. Not too sure how I'd like Farmer sans Rooney.

:whiner:

Kuzman
09-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Honestly, Ed Farmer going on and on about pointless things is worse then Hawk. I'm gonna miss Rooney, a little too much.

halfpricemonday
09-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Crap. Is it too late to move back to AM1000? I'd gladly endure all the pointless hours of Patrick, MJH, and even Rome *shudder* if it meant I could hear Rooney a few more seasons of White Sox winners.

I'm really going to miss Rooney at SoxFest next year.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-02-2005, 06:48 PM
This is terrible news. Rooney is one of the best in the business. We have been spoiled with the best play by play men in the business throughout the history of White Sox radio broadcasts (Bob Elson (through 1970), Harry Caray (1970s) & John Rooney (from the late 1980s)). I hope the Score locates and attracts the same level of play by play announcer.

A :(: day in White Sox history and one more reason to unplug your cable box and tell ESPN to stuff it.

DickAllen72
09-02-2005, 06:48 PM
I just don't get it. :?:

Rooney is by far the best play by play baseball man in the city--radio or TV.

Let's see who they replace him with. It better be somebody better.

halfpricemonday
09-02-2005, 06:50 PM

Let's get Vin Scully on a plane to Chicago.

Daver
09-02-2005, 06:51 PM

Vin Scully has a job, Ernie Harwell is retired, and John Facenda is still dead.

chisoxfan64
09-02-2005, 06:51 PM

Ron Santo!!!!!!:o: :chunks

Optipessimism
09-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optipessimism
09-02-2005, 06:53 PM
We need to start a petition or something. Say it ain't so Rooney!

HotelWhiteSox
09-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Still can't get over this, this blows, the last couple weeks I've been saying what a luxury it is to mute my TV and listen to the best team in baseball, that even the delay doesn't spoil it. The only other guy I like is Dan Schulman who currently does Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN Radio. I just hope this was all Rooney's decision and had nothing to do with the Sox organization, because if they had to do with this, then they truly are idiots.

He's been doing playoff games for past years that I can remember, and he does a lot of college basketball on TV. I don't think the article says anything about espn and the future.

A :(: day in White Sox history and one more reason to unplug your cable box and tell ESPN to stuff it.

I don't think they had anything to do with it?

Whitesox4ever
09-02-2005, 06:58 PM
If Rooney does leave the Sox good luck to him where ever he goes.. Im hoping he changes his mind and stays with the Sox

I wonder who will take his place..

Uncle_Patrick
09-02-2005, 07:00 PM
This really sucks. John Rooney is one of the best in the game. He will be greatly missed.

Mr. White Sox
09-02-2005, 07:00 PM
My reaction, from clicking on the link to reading the thread:

:smile::?::o::mad::(::whiner:

SoxFan76
09-02-2005, 07:02 PM
This is sad sad news. I cannot believe this. The man is hands down one of the best in the busines. There has to be something that can be done to get Rooney on the Score.

Jjav829
09-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Not acceptable. Triple his salary. Do something. They can't let Rooney get away.:whiner:

Honestly, though, I've kind of been expecting this. John Rooney is too good. I figured that one day he would leave to go to a bigger and better job.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-02-2005, 07:05 PM
I don't think they had anything to do with it?

We will have to see if ESPN made John Rooney sign a non compete clause after the switch from ESPN to the Score. I can see ESPN dictating that if he wished to continue to broadcast year round (college basketball, MLB, etc.) on the ESPN network he must remain on in the ESPN family. Time will tell what the facts behind this are. I just hope we get a good replacement. Farmer is OK but Rooney made the broadcast. I already mute the TV - I don't want to have to mute the radio as well during White Sox broadcasts.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Horrible news. I've been listening to Rooney my entire life. I just can't imagine White Sox baseball without Rooney!!! :whiner:

dickallen15
09-02-2005, 07:10 PM
We will have to see if ESPN made John Rooney sign a non compete clause after the switch from ESPN to the Score. I can see ESPN dictating that if he wished to continue to broadcast year round (college basketball, MLB, etc.) on the ESPN network he must remain on in the ESPN family. Time will tell what the facts behind this are. I just hope we get a good replacement. Farmer is OK but Rooney made the broadcast. I already mute the TV - I don't want to have to mute the radio as well during White Sox broadcasts.
Rooney is employed by the White Sox, IIRC, not ESPN radio. So that wouldn't be a factor.

Jjav829
09-02-2005, 07:11 PM
It has been speculated in the past that Hawk could be close to leaving. Maybe Rooney just didn't sign on to broadcast with WSCR because he's going to replace Hawk in the TV booth. :smile:

HotelWhiteSox
09-02-2005, 07:12 PM

I don't think that is the case, he is employed by the Sox, not the Score. If that was possible and Rooney didn't want to lose money from his other jobs, than the Sox should've (and I think would've) upped his salary, but I don't think this is the case. Hopefully more info will be released, but I'm thinking this is Rooney's personal decision.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-02-2005, 07:13 PM
It has been speculated in the past that Hawk could be close to leaving. Maybe Rooney just didn't sign on with WSCR because he's going to replace Hawk in the TV booth. :smile:
That's what I was thinking too. It would be wonderful if Rooney could do the TV broadcasts!

MarySwiss
09-02-2005, 07:14 PM
This is terrible news. Rooney is one of the best in the business. We have been spoiled with the best play by play men in the business throughout the history of White Sox radio broadcasts (Bob Elson (through 1970), Harry Caray (1970s) & John Rooney (from the late 1980s)). I hope the Score locates and attracts the same level of play by play announcer.

I'd agree with everything you said were it not for the Bob Elson reference. HOF to the contrary notwithstanding, did you ever actually HEAR Bob Elson? Because I did, and I wish I could forget his ENDLESS exhortations to Sox fans to dial "friendly" Bob Adams. ("Friendly" Bob was a loan officer at some loan company that I seem to have mercifully blocked out.)

Hey, all you "over 50" Sox fans. Anybody else remember this?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-02-2005, 07:15 PM
That's what I was thinking too. It would be wonderful if Rooney could do the TV broadcasts!

Rooney DID do Sox telecasts back in the late 80s. He is perfect for radio, but I'll gladly take him for TV, too. He would be HUGE upgrade.

:cool:

Malgar 12
09-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Uggh, what a bummer, I'm gonna miss Rooney.

HotelWhiteSox
09-02-2005, 07:17 PM
It has been speculated in the past that Hawk could be close to leaving. Maybe Rooney just didn't sign on with WSCR because he's going to replace Hawk in the TV booth. :smile:

Okay, that would completely make up for it if this was true, I'm sure many Sox fans listen on the radio to avoid the TV, and of course because Rooney is great, I even do it even though I have a delay on most games.

Rooney and Stone doing TV. I won't get my hopes up, but if this was the case, it makes sense to not announce him doing TV until Hawk is officially out.

I hope more info comes out soon. I also had the fear you described of him being too good for us, though I wouldn't fault him if it was completely his decision because he wanted to go to another team or someone else's TV broadcast.

This has really ruined my day. The radio broadcast has a low key/sad feel to it

johnny bench
09-02-2005, 07:18 PM
It sounded like all was well 3 weeks ago...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050808mitchell,1,3252931.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

chisox83
09-02-2005, 07:19 PM
I know there are a lot of Farmer fans here, but I can't say I'm one. His bad puns and endless ramblings have made my ears bleed more than once. Rooney, however, has always eased that pain. He does one hell of a job and I'm going to miss him. I can't imagine a White Sox broadcast without him. :whiner:

Here's to one of the best voices in the game...best of luck to you. :gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-02-2005, 07:22 PM
I know there are a lot of Farmer fans here, but I can't say I'm one. His bad puns and endless ramblings have made my ears bleed more than once. Rooney, however, has always eased that pain. He does one hell of a job and I'm going to miss him. I can't imagine a White Sox broadcast without him.

Actually, the general sentiment is either toleration or outright hostility for Farmer. KingXerxes used to do some wicked parodies of Farmer and I can't ever recall anyone coming to his defense.

I listen to Sox radio all the time (including with the TV volume turned down) and Rooney's calming presence is the sole reason I can tolerate Farmer for nine innings.

Unregistered
09-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Actually, the general sentiment is either toleration or outright hostility for Farmer. KingXerxes used to do some wicked parodies of Farmer and I can't ever recall anyone coming to his defense.

I listen to Sox radio all the time (including with the TV volume turned down) and Rooney's calming presence is the sole reason I can tolerate Farmer for nine innings.
I will say that Farmer wears loafers without sox better and more often than anyone else I know living in Chicago. Does that count as "coming to his defense?" :D:

johnny bench
09-02-2005, 07:26 PM

I can't imagine that it'll be easy to find a replacement for a well-respected broadcaster who is willing to put up with Farmer.

What do the Sox get by keeping Farmer? Continuity?

SouthSide_HitMen
I'd agree with everything you said were it not for the Bob Elson reference. HOF to the contrary notwithstanding, did you ever actually HEAR Bob Elson? Because I did, and I wish I could forget his ENDLESS exhortations to Sox fans to dial "friendly" Bob Adams. ("Friendly" Bob was a loan officer at some loan company that I seem to have mercifully blocked out.)

I've heard Bob Elson broadcasts and I liked him. To be fair he was obligated to air those commercials. It is the same as Sox fans in the 70's hearing American Family Insurance commericals on WSNS (it seemed they were the teams onlysponsor) and current endless Miller Light commericals during broadcasts today. Advertising is part of the package. Too bad John Rooney will no longer be.

As far as John Rooney's employment, I understand he is employed by the White Sox during his radio broadcasts. However, ESPN may have issued an ultimatum (or maybe not) that he can stay with ESPN and work year round or stay with the Sox and move on. I believe the decision was ultimately John's and he will be sorely missed.

3rdgensoxfan
I've grown up on Rooney--next season will be strange. . . . :(:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-02-2005, 07:30 PM

Think of the shock to Tiger fans who lost Ernie Harwell after several decades. Can't beat the real thing.

At least we can enjoy the last 8 or 9 weeks of his broadcasts.

SOXSINCE'70
09-02-2005, 07:33 PM
:rooney

"I have a sick,sick feeling in the pit of my stomach".:(:

-John Rooney at the MetroDoom just before yet another
Sox loss to the Twinkies circa 2003 or 2004.

SABRSox
09-02-2005, 07:40 PM
This is unfortunate. Rooney is, for my money, the best play-by play announcer in baseball right now not named Vin Scully. I understand that he's looking to bigger and better things, and frankly, he's more than earned that kind of success. I wish that the Sox and ESPN could have worked out a deal similar to that of Jon Miller's with the Giants and ESPN. Unfortunately, the move to WSCR sort of killed that.

Listening to his broadcast now, I'm really going to miss Rooney. I bought the MLB Gameday Audio over the video package only because of Rooney. But hopefully this is a springboard for bigger and better things. He's an immense talent, and he should be on a national stage, both radio and television, baseball and other sports.

Huisj
09-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Wow, this is a sad day. I've listened to Rooney my whole life on the radio. When I was a little kid growing up in Lansing, MI, I would try and try to tune my little clock radio in at night when I was in bed to pick up the games, but I had to keep the volume low enough so my mom wouldn't know I was doing it because otherwise she'd tell me to go to sleep and turn it off. If it wasn't for Rooney's familiar voice coming through the AM static, I wouldn't have been able to fine the games.

Who's going to replace him? It better be someone with some real sox passion and some intelligence like Rooney. Wow, I don't know what to say. It's just not going to be the same. :whiner:

Brian26
09-02-2005, 07:56 PM

Rooney is the best play by play guy I've ever heard. I'm in complete and utter shock about this. Absolutely terrible.

Brian26
09-02-2005, 08:00 PM

Rooney's last year with the Twins was '87, then he came to the Sox in '88. He's been with this franchise for a hell of a long time. I hope something can be done to change this.

Johnny Mostil
09-02-2005, 08:03 PM
KingXerxes used to do some wicked parodies of Farmer .

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39334&highlight=pants+rowland

Where is King, anyway?

cbone
09-02-2005, 08:03 PM
No more, "It's a goner!" :whiner:

MarySwiss
09-02-2005, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=SouthSide_HitMen]I've heard Bob Elson broadcasts and I liked him. To be fair he was obligated to air those commercials. It is the same as Sox fans in the 70's hearing American Family Insurance commericals on WSNS (it seemed they were the teams onlysponsor) and current endless Miller Light commericals during broadcasts today. Advertising is part of the package. Too bad John Rooney will no longer be.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, SouthSide, but did you ever hear Elson live? Unedited? As I recall, his "Friendly Bob" commercials were incessant, and they frequently broke in on the action at crucial points of the game, leaving people completely clueless as to what was going on. (This was radio, remember.)

I don't know if you've ever read any of Rich Lindberg's work, but in his book, "Stuck on the Sox," he recounts--and in my opinion accurately--what it was like to listen in to a live Bob Elson broadcast. In a word, frustrating.

I'll miss Rooney, though.

maurice
09-02-2005, 08:18 PM
This is terrible.

Rooney >>> any other current Chicago sports announcer.

SOXSINCE'70
09-02-2005, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=SouthSide_HitMen] It is the same as Sox fans in the 70's hearing American Family Insurance commericals on WSNS (it seemed they were the teams onlysponsor) and current endless Miller Light commericals during broadcasts today. Advertising is part of the package.

What about Falstaff Beer or Chicken Unlimited????:roflmao: :roflmao:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-02-2005, 08:33 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39334&highlight=pants+rowland

Where is King, anyway?

Oh God, that thread still brings tears to my eyes.
:roflmao:

I hope King is okay. He hasn't been here in a long time and his Farmio impersonations were priceless.

BeviBall!
09-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Not good. He probably got sick of Farmer... like we all have. Ever since I saw Farmio in baseball pants during the 2000 clincher, he's been off my radar.

Stroker Ace
09-02-2005, 08:35 PM
NOOOO!!!!!! If something isn't worked out, and Rooney doesn't return, I hope that Dave Wills comes back to do radio, and Rooney replaces (insert random assclown here) broadcasting games for ESPN

Banix12
09-02-2005, 08:46 PM
I hope he does a lot of national games next year just so I can get my rooney fix.

Since he won't be around much longer I kinda hope the sox can put together some kind of John Rooney appreciation day in short order.

Cheers to John Rooney and best of luck in the future. And Good Luck to whoever has to follow him. Trying to replace Rooney is going to be a tough job.

Daver
09-02-2005, 08:50 PM

Where is King, anyway?

Probably one of the best threads ever here.

buehrle4cy05
09-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Could they move Farmer to the play-by-play and get Robin Ventura/Jack McDowell? That might just get rid of some of the sting from losing Rooney.

lths06
09-02-2005, 09:04 PM
How about Steve Stone?

MarySwiss
09-02-2005, 09:12 PM
How about Steve Stone? Well, that might work. There's no question he knows his baseball. I think he's kind of white bread, but if you could get him away from those ESPN guys and put him through some kind of giggle aversion therapy, then maybe.

pudge
09-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Rooney's last year with the Twins was '87, then he came to the Sox in '88. He's been with this franchise for a hell of a long time. I hope something can be done to change this.

Hmm... and what happened to the Twins in their last year with Rooney....?

Brian26
09-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Hmm... and what happened to the Twins in their last year with Rooney....?

I was thinking the same thing when I posted that. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-02-2005, 09:27 PM

This one may have been his best bit ever...

Opening Day, 2004, Sox lose to KC (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=350072#post350072)

The King truly ruled.
:thumbsup:

Johnny Mostil
09-02-2005, 09:55 PM
This one may have been his best bit ever...

Opening Day, 2004, Sox lose to KC (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=350072#post350072)

The King truly ruled.
:thumbsup:

That's hilarious. I don't know what all I'd do to be that funny (intentionally, that is).

CallMeNuts
09-02-2005, 09:57 PM

Yes. I remember:

Household Finance Company (HFC). And their jingle was: "Never borrow money needlessly, but when you need to borrow see HFC."

(A mind is a terrible thing to waste.)

Brian26
09-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Ok, official story just posted on Whitesox.com.

Some of this isn't adding up:

"Obviously, I'm disappointed because I'd love to keep John and Ed together.......I think there are just other things out there that John wants to explore."

Ok, so Rooney wants to do other things?

Boyer said that Rooney informed the station and the team this weekend that he would not be returning to the booth. Boyer said that it was Rooney's decision alone not to come back.

Ok, so Boyer doing some damage control to make sure everyone knows the Sox did ask him back. They apparently made some kind of offer.

This is what disturbs me:

"He said, 'I want to explore other things; I want to do other things. I'm not going to work for what is being offered to me.'"

Whoa. Big difference between Rooney "wanting to do other things" and "wanting to do other things because the offer wasn't good enough or what I deserve."

As for pursuing other options, Rooney has no specific plans about his future after this season ends.

:?: I thought Brooks said Rooney had other plans?

"I don't, not right now"

:?: I hope John's not leaving because the Sox low-balled on the contract offer. This doesn't look very good right now.

lightcloud
09-02-2005, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE

:?: I hope John's not leaving because the Sox low-balled on the contract offer. This doesn't look very good right now.[/QUOTE]

You know that is the reason. Keep in mind that the Sox are not getting anywhere near the rights fees that they received under the deal with WMVP.
Also remember that this is the same organization that did not stand in the way of other popular anouncers... Caray, Paciorek, Wills. Also recall that it was their idea to leave as well.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-02-2005, 10:08 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050902&content_id=1194122&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

A link to the rest of the story.

Contract discussions between WSCR and Rooney's agent, Steve Mandell, had been ongoing since the station and the Sox announced a five-year deal on June 16 to make WSCR the Sox flagship station.

The timing of the announcement, though, seemed to catch Rooney by surprise. "Other people, I guess, knew this before I did," Rooney said when asked about the news. "I don't know why they made the announcement now."

Not good White Sox :angry: .

TornLabrum
09-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Yes. I remember:

Household Finance Company (HFC). And their jingle was: "Never borrow money needlessly, but when you need to borrow see HFC."

(A mind is a terrible thing to waste.)

You're mixing two memories. HFC was the sponsor of Jack Brickhouse's "Tenth Inning" show on Channel 9.

The jingle was:

Never borrow money needlessly,
But when you must,
(I don't remember this line) EDIT: It's coming back...maybe:
Borrow from the oldest company (or largest company)
From folks you trust.
Borrow confidently from H...F...C.

The Sox sponsor was General Finance Co. "Call Friendly Bob Adams at ANdover 3-two-oh-two-oh...That's ANdover 3-twenty-twenty...and he'll have your money ready and waiting. The difference between then and now is nowadays the PBP guys don't do live reads.

The GF commercials were between innings. White Owl Cigars, though, did get in extra plugs with every Sox homer being a White Owl wallop, with the player receiving a box of White Owls.

TornLabrum
09-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Ok, official story just posted on Whitesox.com.

Some of this isn't adding up:

Ok, so Rooney wants to do other things?

Ok, so Boyer doing some damage control to make sure everyone knows the Sox did ask him back. They apparently made some kind of offer.

This is what disturbs me:

Whoa. Big difference between Rooney "wanting to do other things" and "wanting to do other things because the offer wasn't good enough or what I deserve."

:?: I thought Brooks said Rooney had other plans?

:?: I hope John's not leaving because the Sox low-balled on the contract offer. This doesn't look very good right now.

I had heard rumors that Rooney was asking for more money than the Sox were willing to offer, and that the Sox thought his salary demands were unreasonable.

lightcloud
09-02-2005, 10:12 PM
You're mixing two memories. HFC was the sponsor of Jack Brickhouse's "Tenth Inning" show on Channel 9.

The jingle was:

Never borrow money needlessly,
But when you must,
(I don't remember this line)
From folks you trust.
Borrow confidently from H...F...C.

The Sox sponsor was General Finance Co. "Call Friendly Bob Adams at ANdover 3-two-oh-two-oh...That's ANdover 3-twenty-twenty...and he'll have your money ready and waiting. The difference between then and now is nowadays the PBP guys don't do live reads.

The GF commercials were between innings. White Owl Cigars, though, did get in extra plugs with every Sox homer being a White Owl wallop, with the player receiving a box of White Owls.

No, No No!! It went like this... Never borrow money needlessly, but when you need to borrow use HFC! :smile:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-02-2005, 10:13 PM
You know that is the reason. Keep in mind that the Sox are not getting anywhere near the rights fees that they received under the deal with WMVP.
Also remember that this is the same organization that did not stand in the way of other popular anouncers... Caray, Paciorek, Wills. Also recall that it was their idea to leave as well.

What are the facts on this. Any links? Why did the Sox move if they weren't getting more $. Just because JR was pissed at the morning show? Or do they think they will get more exposure at the Score being a local station (vs. ESPN's national format). And if so, why wouldn't they get the same / better deal?

Dumping Rooney and naming Ed Farmer Play by Play is not a good idea. Well at least we will get less going on about nothing as he will have to let the color guy speak. Has Steve Stone already accepted? He is already on the Score and is rumored to be close to JR. Or is he interested in being a GM instead? We did promote our announcer to GM once dontcha know. And we all know how well THAT turned out.

Mercy.

lightcloud
09-02-2005, 10:17 PM
What are thefacts on this. Any links? Why did the Sox move if they weren't getting more $. Just because JR was pissed at the morning show? Or do they think they will get more exposure at the Score being a local station (vs. ESPN's national format). And if so, why wouldn't they get the same / better deal?

Dumping Rooney and naming Ed Farmer Play by Play is not a good idea. Well at least we will get less going on about nothing as he will have to let the color guy speak. Has Steve Stone already accepted? He is already on the Score and is rumored to be close to JR. Or is he interested in being a GM instead. We did promote our announcer to GM once dontcha know.

I don't have any links but prior to the spring when negotiations were ongoing, it was reported how WMVP was complaining how much they had paid for the Bulls and Sox rights fees several years earlier. I also read that WMVP didnt even bid to keep the Sox.

I would also be shocked if Stone took the job as a play by play or color voice. ....Too much work, he doesn't need the money plus he has other gigs.

ChiSoxGirl
09-02-2005, 10:20 PM
As someone who doesn't have cable and resorts to listening to roughly 100 games a season, this is absolutely devastating to me. After saying "Oh my God" and "oh no!" aloud here in this room, I suddenly felt the urge to :whiner:.

I remember Rooney from back in the late 80s when he teamed with Wayne Hagin in the booth. Rooney has a voice like none other on the radio and I can't even begin to list or count the number of times I've commented to many Sox fans how much I love John Rooney, his homerun calls, and other characteristics that make him so unique and such a class act.

Think about this.... In the past 9 months, we've lose Dave Wills and John Rooney on the radio, two of many Sox fans' favorites. If it truly was "all about the money" for Rooney, I'm completely sickened and :angry: over it and the Sox organization should be ashamed of themselves.

For the time being, let's enjoy the last 2 full months of Rooney as part of the #1 Broadcasting Team.

doublem23
09-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Wow...

I was preparing for the worst with Frank, that 2006 would be the first year I remember him officially not a part of the team, but John Rooney. He and Farmer have been the only two radio voices I ever heard call a game day-in, day-out. :(:

Dave Wills would be the only replacement for me that won't be a little bit devastating for me.

tebman
09-02-2005, 10:24 PM
What are thefacts on this. Any links? Why did the Sox move if they weren't getting more $. Just because JR was pissed at the morning show? Or do they think they will get more exposure at the Score being a local station (vs. ESPN's national format). And if so, why wouldn't they get the same / better deal?

Dumping Rooney and naming Ed Farmer Play by Play is not a good idea. Well at least we will get less going on about nothing as he will have to let the color guy speak. Has Steve Stone already accepted? He is already on the Score and is rumored to be close to JR. Or is he interested in being a GM instead. We did promote our announcer to GM once dontcha know.
This is a real shame. Rooney is a real pro, one of those guys you don't get tired of hearing. I suppose this had to come sometime but it's a shame it had to happen this year while things look so good.

My understanding of why the Sox changed stations goes back 10 years. WMVP, under different management that was trying to make a big splash, overpaid for the rights to the Sox and the Bulls. WMVP has been either losing money or breaking even on the Sox broadcasts for years because of the rights fees. The current management of WMVP had to make a decision, and it was to offer the Sox less money. WSCR made a better offer, but it's also owned by a different company that owns more radio stations to cross-promote the Sox, the way the Tribune cross-promotes the Cubs on WGN, WGN-TV, CLTV, and the newspaper. WSCR's corporate bosses could justify paying higher fees than WMVP as part of the bigger corporate picture.

In the end though, the Sox are getting less money from the fees, so it might have come back to haunt us all as we lose John Rooney.

Good luck, John, wherever you go. You're the goods.

Wsoxmike59
09-02-2005, 10:24 PM
I had heard rumors that Rooney was asking for more money than the Sox were willing to offer, and that the Sox thought his salary demands were unreasonable.

Maybe the Sox could see Friendly Bob Adams and get a loan to meet John Rooney's demands. :D:

Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood. I too will miss John Rooney very very much. I agree with the general consensus that's he's hands down one of the finest play by play men in the country.

Maybe he'll go to the National Stage and do network games for ESPN or FOX.

I'm pretty sure the Sox will find a suitable replacement. Hey what's Lorn Brown doing these days???

dickallen15
09-02-2005, 10:27 PM
What are the facts on this. Any links? Why did the Sox move if they weren't getting more $. Just because JR was pissed at the morning show? Or do they think they will get more exposure at the Score being a local station (vs. ESPN's national format). And if so, why wouldn't they get the same / better deal?

Dumping Rooney and naming Ed Farmer Play by Play is not a good idea. Well at least we will get less going on about nothing as he will have to let the color guy speak. Has Steve Stone already accepted? He is already on the Score and is rumored to be close to JR. Or is he interested in being a GM instead? We did promote our announcer to GM once dontcha know. And we all know how well THAT turned out.

Mercy.

The color man who became GM actually didn't do as bad as you would think. He got Bobby Bonilla as a rule 5, wound up trading him for Jose DeLeon, who eventually was traded for Lance Johnson. He traded for Ivan Calderon, who was a pretty good player for the Sox, and he eventually was turned into Tim Raines. His draft was poor, although he did draft Scott Radinsky, many would argue firing La Russa was foolish (I wouldn't, I've never been too impressed with Tony).. He traded Britt Burns, who wound up never pitching again, and Tom Seaver who spent the season crying to be traded to the east coast. Also traded Scott Fletcher and Ron Kittle. The Fletcher deal wasn't good because Fletcher became a pretty pesky player, and Tolleson was a bust at third.

HotelWhiteSox
09-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Okay, jist of it (my viewpoint after reading the articles), Rooney did not like the offer the Sox gave him (not sure if he was low balled or it was a fair offer), after the disputes it was obvious that he wasn't coming back/he won't work for that money and he wants to do something else, Brooks does the damage control and says it was his decision. I'm sure the USA Today article was the icing on the cake for John, trying to get justification for more money.

I don't know the complete story correctly, but I also heard on Mac, Jurko, and Harry that the Sox kept Rooney from going to his dream job of the Cardinals? They were surprised this was happening after that happened.

I've gone out briefly tonight, had dinner, watched the tivoed portion of the game, and still feel a mixture of anger/sadness, there was obviously something off in the tone of the radio broadcast.

The season in going nice, but looking at a different direction, this will be a horrible year for the Sox if they lose both Rooney and Frank Thomas due to money :angry:

I am so bummed right now, almost got the feeling that someone I know passed away

DickAllen72
09-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Dumping Rooney and naming Ed Farmer Play by Play is not a good idea. Well at least we will get less going on about nothing as he will have to let the color guy speak.

Farmer doing the color with Rooney is OK when the Sox are doing well. When the Sox aren't playing well, Farmer is grating on the nerves.

Farmer doing play by play sucks! No ifs ands or buts about it. I don't think I'll be able to bear listening to Farmer doing the play by play.

The only thing I can think of to make this interesting is if they hire Jimmy Piersall to do the color. Like if that would ever happen!

DrCrawdad
09-02-2005, 10:50 PM
I'm a John Rooney fan, NOT A FAN OF FARMIO. Farmio is better than Santo, yes. But so is anyone who can complete a sentence in under 5 minutes.

This move didn't make sense to me, then I saw that Rooney didn't swallow the offer fromt the Sox. Big surprise that the Sox low-balled a fan favorite and a damn good broadcaster.

The Sox never finish finding ways to offend the small group of fans that they have.

:angry:

Best wishes to you, John Rooney. May the road rise to meet you.

:gulp:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-02-2005, 10:51 PM
The color man who became GM actually didn't do as bad as you would think. He got Bobby Bonilla as a rule 5, wound up trading him for Jose DeLeon, who eventually was traded for Lance Johnson. He traded for Ivan Calderon, who was a pretty good player for the Sox, and he eventually was turned into Tim Raines. His draft was poor, although he did draft Scott Radinsky, many would argue firing La Russa was foolish (I wouldn't, I've never been too impressed with Tony).. He traded Britt Burns, who wound up never pitching again, and Tom Seaver who spent the season crying to be traded to the east coast. Also traded Scott Fletcher and Ron Kittle. The Fletcher deal wasn't good because Fletcher became a pretty pesky player, and Tolleson was a bust at third.

You know I just reviewed your post and the transaction log for Hawk's stint as GM: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1986_trans.shtml

I have to agree with you and thanks for refreshing my memory. I thought it was classy to let Tom Seaver go to Boston (though he wasn't on the roster for their World Series run (and collapse). I also didn't like LaRussa and the way he handled the pitching staff and wasn't sad to see him go. We were lucky Himes turned DeLeon into One Dog. I just remember that as a brutal season - 1984, 1986, 1989 & of course the strike year 1994 teams were the most disappointing of JR's stint as managing partner.

Now about his announcing :wink:

DickAllen72
09-02-2005, 10:53 PM
May the road rise to meet you. :gulp:

That happened to me once when I had way too much to drink.

Huisj
09-02-2005, 11:00 PM
No more, "It's a goner!" :whiner:

:winner

No more hearing John say this at the end of games either. So many great things we won't hear anymore.

I wonder what this'll do to the sox radio ratings, both for the rest of this year and for next year. Also, will Rooney have the same excitement in his voice now that all this has come out about him not coming back, or will he just kind of be going through the motions?

soxjim
09-02-2005, 11:02 PM
I herd this on the score this evening. Callers were saying he is from the St. Louis area and the Cards are switching stations as well.

Viva Medias B's
09-02-2005, 11:09 PM
I think John is leaving because he eventually wants to be the voice of the St. Louis Cardinals. A few years ago, when the Cardinals were searching for a new play-by-play voice to be the permanent replacement for Jack Buck, Rooney asked the White Sox if he could explore that opening but the Sox said no.

The Cardinals, as discussed on a previous thread, are ending their 52-year marriage to KMOX-AM (1120) and moving to KTRS-AM (550) starting next season. At the time of the announcement, the Cardinals said that current announcers Wayne Hagin and Mike Shannon would be on KTRS next season. However, I wonder if the Cardinals will find a way to get rid of Hagin and replace him with Rooney. Hagin got in hot water earlier this season for saying that Todd Helton is/was a steriod user.

Huisj
09-02-2005, 11:14 PM
I think John is leaving because he eventually wants to be the voice of the St. Louis Cardinals. A few years ago, when the Cardinals were searching for a new play-by-play voice to be the permanent replacement for Jack Buck, Rooney asked the White Sox if he could explore that opening but the Sox said no.

The Cardinals, as discussed on a previous thread, are ending their 52-year marriage to KMOX-AM (1120) and moving to KTRS-AM (550) starting next season. At the time of the announcement, the Cardinals said that current announcers Wayne Hagin and Mike Shannon would be on KTRS next season. However, I wonder if the Cardinals will find a way to get rid of Hagin and replace him with Rooney. Hagin got in hot water earlier this season for saying that Todd Helton is/was a steriod user.

Interesting that Hagin is there, because Hagin was with the Sox before Farmer. I had heard when Hagin left that part of the reason was because the Sox thought he and Rooney sounded too much alike when they were together.

halfpricemonday
09-02-2005, 11:16 PM
The Trib's Ed Sherman has a story (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050902sherman,1,4986752.column?coll=cs-home-utility) on Rooney's departure. At the end of the story, he guesses that Bill Melton might be a candidate to take John's place.

Hmm...

Madvora
09-02-2005, 11:21 PM
This is terrible news. I don't like Farmer at all. I absolutely love Rooney. He is definitley the greatest and will definitely be missed. Man thats sad.

HotelWhiteSox
09-02-2005, 11:25 PM
With the news that John Rooney will be not with us next season, our first on WSCR-AM (670), who should take his place? According to Ed Sherman's article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050902sherman,1,4986752.column?coll=cs-home-utility) on Rooney's departure, it seems that Ed Farmer will take over as the primary play-by-play voice with Rooney being replaced by an analyst. I don't know if that is the way to go; I think a play-by-play voice should replace Rooney.

Hate to kind of hijack your thread, but that article says that he couldn't reach a deal with WSCR. Wouldn't he be employed directly by the White Sox, and it was their offer he was not happy with?

Anyways, I also don't like the Farmer as PBP route. I'm not even a huge fan of Farmer, but Rooney fixed it and made it work, ended up sounding like a great chemistry to me, not to mention the best I've heard in radio of painting a picture of exactly what was going on. Trailing off again...

I would like them to go for a PBP man as a replacement. I don't really like any national guys except for one, I love Dan Schulman, who currently does PBP for ESPN Radio on Sunday Night Baseball and various other things. I don't know much about other local guys or people on other teams. People in Anaheim hate their TV guys and I heard they might be going but I don't really like them either. This is most likely going to suck as the radio was a great replacement for not having to hear Hawk, even if there was a delay, I liked John that much.

I've heard others suggest Stone. I like him, but isn't he more of an analyst? That would make Farmer move to PBP and I don't like that, them two would sound weird together to me. I've also heard Wills suggested, and I loved him as a pre/post guy, but haven't heard him done radio except when he filled in for a Sox broadcast when I think Rooney was doing college basketball. It was okay, leaves for me to be desired after being used to Rooney. Also, I know I shouldn't use this to measure it or have credence and the team there blows, but didn't the USA Today thing pick the Tampa Bay radio team last in the big leagues?

Viva Medias B's
09-02-2005, 11:29 PM
If Rooney is employed by the White Sox, why does Sherman's article state that it's Rooney and WSCR that cannot come to terms on a contract?

Mickster
09-02-2005, 11:29 PM
Willsy,

COME BACK NOW!!! FORGET THE D-RAYS!

:)

Lip Man 1
09-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Very sad news about John Rooney.

Yes he and Wayne Hagin did sound a lot alike. I can't explain the confusion over this because in fact the Sox do employ the announcers not the radio station (or TV station). Perhaps under the new deal the Sox asked the radio station to pick up part of the announcers deal to offset the loss of revenue from the deal itself which is smaller then WMVP's was.

That's my best guess to explain the difference.

He is very, very good at what he does.

As far as replacements, Sherman's story suggests Melton which would be fine with me. Regarding Stone the story says 'whomever' probably couldn't pay him enough and that he'd be more comfortable on TV.

This will be interesting. I hope the Sox don't get stuck with another mush mouth type like Darrin Jackson. (Uh-Oh!)

Nooooooooo......

Lip

StillMissOzzie
09-03-2005, 12:22 AM
I don't know whether the dispute / seperation is over a lowball offer or an exhorbitant demand, and I really don't care. John Rooney is one of the best at what he does, for whatever sport he's doing PBP for. I think that Melton & Farmer would be a downgrade. I sure hope that John can send the White Sox on to a WS as part of his farewell tour.

Maybe John will register with WSI like Dave Wills did and give us "Core of the Core" fans a farewell.

SMO
:(:

Nellie_Fox
09-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Boy, this is a really bad night to hear this, as far as I'm concerned. Farmer was brutal tonight. I really wanted to hear him take two innings to tell his story about how Earl Weaver dissed him by not making him the closer in the All-Star game. For two innings, after every pitch, it was Farmer "okay, now back to the story about me."

slavko
09-03-2005, 12:31 AM
I can't say this is totally unfamiliar. Longtime Bulls PBP Jim Durham left over $$$ after the team's first championship season (that sounds good) and the team went on to win 5 more (that sounds even better). He's become a PBP on the national basketball scene and I rate him as one of the best ever at that sport. He did some Sox baseball on WGN and I was unimpressed at the time, but I think he's been the Astro's PBP last time I heard. It's a long time ago, but I think he turned down over $800,000 from the Bulls.

So, does Neil Funk replace Rooney as he did Durham? My vote goes to Willsy.

johnnyg83
09-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Man, I think Rooney is the class of announcing. I like Farmer but purely for color. Wihout Rooney it's like Akroyd with Belushi. If I'm the Sox I lock up a "voice of the team" that I can identify with at 30 and at 60 -- like Vin Sculley or Mel Allen or Harry. If you keep switching talent, you dilute the memory, and thus the connection to the team. Can you tell me who did the broadcast before Drysdale? Or Hawk? Or Harry? Or Rooney? Maybe, but do you have the same affection?

HotelWhiteSox
09-03-2005, 12:55 AM
This move stilllllllll surprises me, even though it's happened before with the Sox, but I have a feeling John wants that St. Louis gig...and I would be fine with that, as long as you're honest with me!

paciorek1983
09-03-2005, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE=HotelWhiteSox]
I would like them to go for a PBP man as a replacement. I don't really like any national guys except for one, I love Dan Schulman, who currently does PBP for ESPN Radio on Sunday Night Baseball and various other things.QUOTE]

If Schulman ever became a voice of the White sox, I'd never be able to listen to a game again. He drives me nuts. You and all of the media types just love the guy. Does anyone get how he makes every word sound like it has the letter "d" in it? AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!:angry:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-03-2005, 01:14 AM
I can't say this is totally unfamiliar. Longtime Bulls PBP Jim Durham left over $$$ after the team's first championship season (that sounds good) and the team went on to win 5 more (that sounds even better). He's become a PBP on the national basketball scene and I rate him as one of the best ever at that sport. He did some Sox baseball on WGN and I was unimpressed at the time, but I think he's been the Astro's PBP last time I heard. It's a long time ago, but I think he turned down over $800,000 from the Bulls.

I listened to Durham on radio for the playoffs last year and he was brutal - unprepared. He is excellent at basketball - a sport he knows and loves.

We will have to see who they will name. You can tell they wanted as little publicity as possible (announcing the news on Friday evening Labor Day weekend when many people are out of town / busy for the weekend). Rooney was able to keep a leash on Farmer (as best as possible) so you need someone strong enough to be able to wrestle the mike away. I can see a Steve Stone being able to do it. I don't know if Dave Wills can pull it off. Whoever can limit Farmer's ramblings will be good enough for me.

HotelWhiteSox
09-03-2005, 01:22 AM
[QUOTE=HotelWhiteSox]
I would like them to go for a PBP man as a replacement. I don't really like any national guys except for one, I love Dan Schulman, who currently does PBP for ESPN Radio on Sunday Night Baseball and various other things.QUOTE]

If Schulman ever became a voice of the White sox, I'd never be able to listen to a game again. He drives me nuts. You and all of the media types just love the guy. Does anyone get how he makes every word sound like it has the letter "d" in it? AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!:angry:

Well that's your opinion, just like how you like Wills as a PBP guy and I don't. That's what makes this even worse, everyone like Rooney

SouthSide_HitMen
09-03-2005, 01:24 AM
Man, I think Rooney is the class of announcing. I like Farmer but purely for color. Wihout Rooney it's like Akroyd with Belushi. If I'm the Sox I lock up a "voice of the team" that I can identify with at 30 and at 60 -- like Vin Sculley or Mel Allen or Harry. If you keep switching talent, you dilute the memory, and thus the connection to the team. Can you tell me who did the broadcast before Drysdale? Or Hawk? Or Harry? Or Rooney? Maybe, but do you have the same affection?

Rooney (PBP) / Farmer (C) = Blues Brothers

Farmer (PBP) / ? = Blues Brothers 2000

White Sox have had only five PBP guys in their history - Bob Elson (sorry Mary) & Harry Caray pre JR. Joe McConnell (Our 1983 PBP Guy!), Lorn Brown took over for a few years and then Rooney have been the three in the JR Era.

Caray & Piersall were by far my favorite (they did both radio & TV) team. Rooney is right up there (though Farmer knocks the team down a level).

Man Soo Lee
09-03-2005, 01:34 AM
From the previously linked Trib article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050902sherman,1,4986752.column?coll=cs-home-utility&ctrack=1&cset=true):

It seems as if Rooney, however, wasn't able to get much of an increase from the station. Top radio play-by-play men in the major leagues make upward of $400,000.
"He said he thought about it, talked about it with his wife and he said, 'I want to explore other things, I want to do other things. I'm not going to work for what is being offered to me.'"

If this is just about money, it's a shame they're losing one of the most popular members of the organization over less than half of what Timo Perez makes this year.

"My guess is that Ed will do most of the play-by-play," Boyer said. "Thankfully, we still have Ed for that role. He has done a good job there."

Ugh. This may be worse news than Rooney leaving...

paciorek1983
09-03-2005, 01:39 AM
[QUOTE=paciorek1983]

Well that's your opinion, just like how you like Wills as a PBP guy and I don't. That's what makes this even worse, everyone like Rooney

Yeah we all liked Rooney it's a shame. but haven't you noticed that thing about Shculman with putting "d"s in every word?

skobabe8
09-03-2005, 02:04 AM
Not to weird anybody out, but upon hearing this news I literally felt like I was dumped by the most beautiful girl in the world.

I may never recover from this.

skobabe8 = http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/images/300/baby_crying_closeup.jpg

pinwheels3530
09-03-2005, 02:15 AM
I hope the deal they made with the Score is worth losing John Rooney, who made listening to the Sox on the radio a real treat.

Soxfest
09-03-2005, 02:17 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-home-utility

Farmer on play by play .plzzzzzzzzzzzz:angry: screw WSCR the Score. This is total nonsense.:cuss:

IowaSox1971
09-03-2005, 02:19 AM
I've never been that impressed with Rooney, because he constantly misjudges how far fly balls are hit. Even though I hate the Cubs, I think Pat Hughes is a much better radio announcer.

I would like Stone to be on either the radio or TV team. Probably the best thing would be to put DJ on radio and have Stone work with Hawk on TV.

One other point: I think the stations negotiate and can try to hire the announcers, but the team has final approval over the station's choice. In other words, it's up to the station and Rooney to come to terms, and then the team says yes or no.

Nellie_Fox
09-03-2005, 02:23 AM
Even though I hate the Cubs, I think Pat Hughes is a much better radio announcer.If you hate the Cubs, why are you listening to their radio PBP guy? I have no idea who Pat Hughes is.

I would like Stone to be on either the radio or TV team. Probably the best thing would be to put DJ on radio and have Stone work with Hawk on TV.Yeah, let's have whiney, nasal, Cubby loving Steve Stone competing with Hawk for the microphone. Good Idea.

mdep524
09-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Oh my goodness.. I just got home from work and this is the first thread I see. :(: John Rooney is the best there is, his game-calling, disposition and chemistry with Farmer are all excellent and, IMO, irreplaceable.

I think my brain has no choice but to go in denial about this and hope things will change before April 2006, even though I'm sure that's not the case. :(:

HotelWhiteSox
09-03-2005, 02:41 AM
I've never been that impressed with Rooney, because he constantly misjudges how far fly balls are hit. Even though I hate the Cubs, I think Pat Hughes is a much better radio announcer.

:chunks

FARMEO
09-03-2005, 03:03 AM
I came home from the game happy about the win and now I read this news. I can't believe that the White Sox are letting the best PBP announcer get away!

Muopsies
09-03-2005, 06:03 AM
I agree, I met John last August in KC and he came up to me and my family and had a few words to say. Truly a friendly guy. Later that trip I saw Ed "I'm as good as Cy Young" Farmer in the elevator and he had neither the time nor day for us. Clearly John was the brains and punch of that group. Ed ought to thank his lucky stars for John each day. Ed sucks and if the Sox make him the play by play, God help us. I can't believe the Sox are THIS stupid. Truly a sad day.

TornLabrum
09-03-2005, 06:32 AM
Rooney (PBP) / Farmer (C) = Blues Brothers

Farmer (PBP) / ? = Blues Brothers 2000

White Sox have had only five PBP guys in their history - Bob Elson (sorry Mary) & Harry Caray pre JR. Joe McConnell (Our 1983 PBP Guy!), Lorn Brown took over for a few years and then Rooney have been the three in the JR Era.

Caray & Piersall were by far my favorite (they did both radio & TV) team. Rooney is right up there (though Farmer knocks the team down a level).

You missed Jack Brickhouse, who did radio PBP for the Sox while Elson was in the Navy. Elson was also not the first Sox broadcaster. One of these days I might look up who preceded him.

TornLabrum
09-03-2005, 06:34 AM
If you hate the Cubs, why are you listening to their radio PBP guy? I have no idea who Pat Hughes is.

Yeah, let's have whiney, nasal, Cubby loving Steve Stone competing with Hawk for the microphone. Good Idea.

Steve Stone spent two stints with the Sox as a player. He is every bit as much a Sox personality as he is a Cubs personality.

cbone
09-03-2005, 07:30 AM

That thread predates me, and I am still laughing!!! Funny stuff!!!!

LuvSox
09-03-2005, 07:52 AM
This news blows, Rooney is the best.

duke of dorwood
09-03-2005, 08:17 AM
This is just consistent with the second rate type of personalities, sports commentary and programming the Score has puked at us since its beginning.

As far as broadcasting goes, this city has always been unable to hold on to top talent. Add John to the list that includes guys like Jim Durham, Joe McConnell, Wayne Larivee etc.

SSN721
09-03-2005, 08:28 AM
It truly is a sad day hearing about this, whole day starting off bed, htis is just something else to add to the list. I dont fault John at all for moving on to bigger and better things, we were lucky enough to keep him as long as we did. I hope they find someone close to his level of talent bu thtta will be hard, pairing someone with Farmer will be an interesting task as well. They just seemed to have a good chemistry together and I have to say I actually get a kick out of Farmer and Rooney as a pair alot, they played off eachother and I will mis that an awful lot. Hopefully it is a window for WIllsy and maybe an oportunity for Rooney to get into the TV booth. I guess that is the best I can hope for.

Flight #24
09-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Money seems to be at the heart of the matter. According to industry sources, the Sox's new radio deal with WSCR is substantially less than the current one with WMVP-AM 1000. As part of the new pact, the team reportedly wanted to ensure that neither Rooney nor Farmer would be subjected to pay cuts that could occur with reduced rights.

It seems as if Rooney, however, wasn't able to get much of an increase from the station. Top radio play-by-play men in the major leagues make upward of $400,000.
"He said he thought about it, talked about it with his wife and he said, 'I want to explore other things, I want to do other things. I'm not going to work for what is being offered to me.'"

I have no idea how well or poorly Rooney was compensated, but the above quotes from the Trib article make it seem like the Sox tried to do the right thing by John by ensuring he didn't face a pay cut. In the face of reduced rights fees, getting a sizeable increase seems like an odd expectation, so I can't really fault the Sox in this case.

Regardless, I will miss John on the broadcasts. IMO he's been great, and I wish the best of luck to him. Hopefully they can get Willsy or Stone back in some capacity on one of the 2 broadcast teams.

harwar
09-03-2005, 08:56 AM
John Rooney is one of the most respected broadcasters in the game.
I can't believe these guys are being broken up.
I mean Rooney is the only one who can control Ed Farmer.
The only one who can keep him from getting lost in his own long,boring,stories.
I mean, both of those guys are great and work very well together.
Like an old couple,they can finish each others thoughts.
In a world where everyone,it seems,are taking shots at the White Sox whenever they can,John Rooney stands out as a dedicated,respected,and very well liked broadcaster,who is himself a great fan of the game that he loves.

TornLabrum
09-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Hopefully they can get Willsy or Stone back in some capacity on one of the 2 broadcast teams.

I'm pretty sure Dave signed a multi-year agreement with the D-Rays, so I don't know if he'd even be ablet to apply for the job.

chitownhawkfan
09-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Wow, just wow, I came here to make myself feel better after punishing my body last night with a dirty thirty of Old Style and I awake, head pounding, to this?! This is the worst news I have heard in a long, long time. There shouldnt be any excuses, raise prices, cut willie harris, do something to get rooney the money he needs to stay!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm tearing hear out of my head in anger/disgust.

Cant we start a WSI pledge drive to keep Rooney or something?

hawkjt
09-03-2005, 09:14 AM
This is clearly the Scores call. They did not want to compensate John at a proper level which would mean a minor increase. He wanted to stay but they wanted to go cheaper. Sox clearly wanted him retained but Score had the final decision. I am so pissed.

Farmer is plain bad and just the thought of him being the lead play by play guy makes me sick. First Wimpy and now John. Both broadcasts have been hurt tremendously by these moves.

Clearly the Score has the better signal but they are off to a horrible start as the sox flagship station. Rooney would have been by far the best voice heard on that station for many years. I do think the sox and Brooks know that this is a huge blow and hence should have stepped in to resolve this matter.

doogiec
09-03-2005, 09:20 AM
As much as I enjoy Rooney, I am OK with this move IF (and only if) it opens the doors to Wills returning as PBP.

Having heard him call a handful of games here and a bunch from TB, I believe he will be the better announcer in the long run. His enthusiasm just jumps out of the radio (even for the crap he's calling in TB).

If he is under contract, the Sox should hire a chair warmer until he's available. I think he's the type of announcer that could be extremely popular with the next couple of generations of Sox fans.

Maybe with the money the Sox save on this deal, they can finally afford a couple of flag poles for the 1901 and 1906 championship flags.

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 09:33 AM
I've got it!!! The perfect replacement for Rooney. A former White Sox player with radio experience!!

:santo

Gym Shoe
09-03-2005, 09:41 AM
These two, while at best average at times, were some of the worst announcers I've ever heard. Rooney seemed to know some things, and Farmer, well, I won't even get into him. Any guy that repeats what he says at least 5 times isn't cool with me.

I know people coming into Chicago that became Cub fans because the Sox broadcast was so bad. What's worse is that Farmer is still onboard! Let's just break these guys up and start anew. They were brutal and I don't know who selects any awards they won ... mercy

Gshoe

voodoochile
09-03-2005, 09:43 AM
These two, while at best average at times, were some of the worst announcers I've ever heard. Rooney seemed to know some things, and Farmer, well, I won't even get into him. Any guy that repeats what he says at least 5 times isn't cool with me.

I know people coming into Chicago that became Cub fans because the Sox broadcast was so bad. What's worse is that Farmer is still onboard! Let's just break these guys up and start anew. They were brutal and I don't know who selects any awards they won ... mercy

Gshoe

Not you again...:rolleyes:

kingpin_rcs
09-03-2005, 09:53 AM
I sent John an email via Brooks Boyer. For those interested, here is what I said:

Brooks,
I am a die hard Sox fan and have been for many years. I am saddened by the recent news that John Rooney will not be returning to the Sox radio booth next year. I have many great memories of listening to Sox games. John will be "the voice of the White Sox" to me for a long time. I would like to express my gratitutde to John directly. Can you please forward the following to him.

Mr Rooney,
I, like most Sox fans, am sad to hear that you will not continue to do White Sox broadcasts next season. I have listened to a great many White Sox games over the radio (and more recently the Internet and XM Sattellite). I have fond memories of you doing Sox games with Wayne Hagen and of course Ed Farmer. Back when I was in college I listened to most Sox games on the radio. I will never forget a particular hot, muggy night in my apartment in nortwest indiana in 1991. The Sox were playing the Rangers and they were down by 2 in the bottom of the ninth. Sox had the bases loaded. Goose Gosage was pitching and he had an 0-2 count on Robin Ventura. Ventura blasted the next pitch into the right field seats for a grand slam and a "White Sox Winner!". I will never forget your call on that home run as well as conutless other Sox moments. You do a great job of painting a picture of the action on the field and you are a real pleasure to listed too. Good luck to you in the future. If you end up doing PBP for another baseball team, stop by to the White Sox booth and say hello!

PS. I love your Harry Carry and Mr Haney (from Green Acres) impersonations. Also, remember when the power went out in Fenway?

tebman
09-03-2005, 10:04 AM
I've got it!!! The perfect replacement for Rooney. A former White Sox player with radio experience!!

:santo
:rolling:

But seriously folks, let's play the hand we've been dealt. Suppose it was up to you to choose who would, realistically, be hired to work color with Farmer. Where would you look?

My own choices:

* Dave Wills -- He's been mentioned several times already. He's a real White Sox guy, he's fun to listen to, he knows the game, etc. The limitation is whatever his contract situation is with Tampa Bay.

* Jack McDowell -- His guest stint this summer on TV was terrific (IMHO). He's a former Sox player, he's not afraid to speak his mind, he's articulate, etc. The limitation is the level of commitment he has to his music business.

* Bill Melton -- He's already here doing the post-game thing on TV, he's a former Sox player, etc. The limitation is that he'd need to be replaced on TV.

Those are three names off the top of my head and I know it's wishful thinking. My guess is that WSCR is going to look for some Fox Sports-type guy who feels obligated to talk continuously whether or not there's a reason to speak, though I hope I'm wrong.

What do you all think?

Mark'sBrokenFoot
09-03-2005, 10:20 AM

But seriously folks, let's play the hand we've been dealt. Suppose it was up to you to choose who would, realistically, be hired to work color with Farmer. Where would you look?

My own choices:

* Dave Wills -- He's been mentioned several times already. He's a real White Sox guy, he's fun to listen to, he knows the game, etc. The limitation is whatever his contract situation is with Tampa Bay.

* Jack McDowell -- His guest stint this summer on TV was terrific (IMHO). He's a former Sox player, he's not afraid to speak his mind, he's articulate, etc. The limitation is the level of commitment he has to his music business.

* Bill Melton -- He's already here doing the post-game thing on TV, he's a former Sox player, etc. The limitation is that he'd need to be replaced on TV.

Those are three names off the top of my head and I know it's wishful thinking. My guess is that WSCR is going to look for some Fox Sports-type guy who feels obligated to talk continuously whether or not there's a reason to speak, though I hope I'm wrong.

What do you all think?

Bill Melton is retarded. Do we really want a guy that can't pronounce any of the Latino names on the team? The more I think about this, the more pissed I get. I'm still not over the Wimpy departure. Nothing has been the same for me since. Rooney leaving is just another kick in the groin. *** is so fundamentally wrong with this organization that everything must be second rate?

oldcomiskey
09-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Let's get Vin Scully on a plane to Chicago.

and put everybody to sleep

HITMEN OF 77
09-03-2005, 10:38 AM
I had just talked with Rooney about a week ago and he said he wanted nothing more tan to stay with the Sox, I think the Sox forced him out IMO.

oldcomiskey
09-03-2005, 10:43 AM
I had just talked with Rooney about a week ago and he said he wanted nothing more tan to stay with the Sox, I think the Sox forced him out IMO.
it may have been WMAQ-oops--WSCR didnt want him

Hangar18
09-03-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm a John Rooney fan, NOT A FAN OF FARMIO. Farmio is better than Santo, yes. But so is anyone who can complete a sentence in under 5 minutes.

This move didn't make sense to me, then I saw that Rooney didn't swallow the offer fromt the Sox. Big surprise that the Sox low-balled a fan favorite and a damn good broadcaster.

The Sox never finish finding ways to offend the small group of fans that they have.

:angry:

This is cretainly the way this whole thing looks to me, after reading everything thats out there. This move does not make any sense at all,
the first thing that came to mind ..........$$$$$$$$$.

DickAllen72
09-03-2005, 10:54 AM
The more I think about this, the more :angry: I get.

Why the hell did this have to be announced now??? If the two sides were at an impasse in negotiations, there is still at least five or six months to iron things out.

Rooney obviously was caught off guard by the announcement. It appears as if either WSCR or the White Sox have seized upon the opportunity to force him out, for whatever reason. If they really wanted him to stay, they could have kept this quiet for months yet while trying to come to terms.

Why do I get the feeling that Timo Perez has been given the radio job for next season?

sageofthesox
09-03-2005, 10:56 AM
:o: :o: :o:

Why is it that every time the White Sox show some progress, they shoot themselves in the foot?

John Rooney IS the White Sox MVP.

Please, please say it ain't so!!!

JRIG
09-03-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm pretty sure Dave signed a multi-year agreement with the D-Rays, so I don't know if he'd even be ablet to apply for the job.

I hope he won't mind me saying this. But I talked to him a few weeks ago, and he said he had a two-year deal. So I don't think he can get out of it.

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Doesn't anyone here actually read the facts before posting an opinion?

Hangar18
09-03-2005, 11:16 AM
The more I think about this, the more :angry: I get.

Why the hell did this have to be announced now??? If the two sides were at an impasse in negotiations, there is still at least five or six months to iron things out.

Rooney obviously was caught off guard by the announcement. It appears as if either WSCR or the White Sox have seized upon the opportunity to force him out, for whatever reason. If they really wanted him to stay, they could have kept this quiet for months yet while trying to come to terms.

Why do I get the feeling that Timo Perez has been given the radio job for next season?

These are the exact feelings I had after hearing the news and trying to get as much info on all of this as possible :o: after hearing this, :?: very confused hearing the SOX give their reasons, :(: after reading Rooneys side, and :angry: after realizing they didnt have to declare an impasse right now

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 11:22 AM
These are the exact feelings I had after hearing the news and trying to get as much info on all of this as possible :o: after hearing this, :?: very confused hearing the SOX give their reasons, :(: after reading Rooneys side, and :angry: after realizing they didnt have to declare an impasse right nowFrom the article on the Sox website (and also Teddy Greenstein's article):
Boyer said that Rooney informed the station and the team this weekend that he would not be returning to the booth. Boyer said that it was Rooney's decision alone not to come back.Boy, the timing of the Sox announcement sure is curious.

JimH
09-03-2005, 11:30 AM

Agreed.

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is the White Sox' fault, except in the minds of those who think everything is the White Sox' fault.

Rooney was in negotiations with the Score, not the White Sox. The Score hires the announcers, the Sox merely sign off. Negotiations broke down, Rooney decided to move on.

I find the timing just a bit curious, but since Farmer signed a deal it's very likely that news would've leaked out anyway, via Ed Sherman or Fred Mitchell or Robert Feder, et al. And then everyone would've asked "what about Rooney" and the White Sox would've been barbequed for "withholding" information. I'm sure all parties concerned would've rather held off on these announcements until after the season, but news gets reported when news is made.

Steelrod
09-03-2005, 11:36 AM
We lose another broadcaster that we like, and keep a bunch that we don't. Could this be the opportunity to BRING BACK WIMPY?

SouthSide_HitMen
09-03-2005, 12:37 PM
it may have been WMAQ-oops--WSCR didnt want him

WMAQ is NOT going to make me rich. (Or Rooney either).

DickAllen72
09-03-2005, 12:40 PM
From the article on the Sox website (and also Teddy Greenstein's article):
Boy, the timing of the Sox announcement sure is curious.
Now read Rooney's side of the story (it's always good to get both sides before forming an opinion). This is from Phil Arvia in this morning's Daily Southtown (no link available because his Sept.3rd column is not yet online):

John Rooney looked stunned. Brooks Boyer shrugged and said, "I'm surprised that he was surprised."
The Sox announced Friday that Farmer would move to WSCR, where he will primarily serve as a play by play voice. Rooney and the radio station were unable to come to terms --- though Rooney claimed Friday he had believed negotiations were ongoing.

"Well, it's final with the release, I guess," Rooney said. "Steve (Mandel, Rooney's agent) was still talking with people.

So basically, Rooney was holding out for more money, telling Boyer he wouldn't work for what was being offered. Rooney was under the impression that negotiations were still ongoing, and with six months to go before next Spring Training, he probably was just taking a hard line figuring that there was no hurry to sign next years deal while this season wasn't even over.

It appears that the Sox/WSCR for whatever reason were anxious to announce that Rooney was gone. They still had months to get him to agree to stay, but they chose to announce that he's gone during the last month of a magical season. Seems a bit odd, doesn't it?

As for the part about having other things to pursue, Arvia reports that Brooks said he thinks that's what was on Rooney's mind.

If you only read what the White Sox web site reports, it appears that Rooney wanted to leave the Sox to pursue other opportunities. Clearly, that was not the case.

HotelWhiteSox
09-03-2005, 12:44 PM
From the article on the Sox website (and also Teddy Greenstein's article):
Boy, the timing of the Sox announcement sure is curious.

The article posted above says that others knew about this before Rooney did, implying that it is the other way around. I'm still confused by it, by I don't think anyone knows the facts that you're claiming

soltrain21
09-03-2005, 12:46 PM
This sucks

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Now read Rooney's side of the story (it's always good to get both sides before forming an opinion). This is from Phil Arvia in this morning's Daily Southtown (no link available because his Sept.3rd column is not yet online):

So basically, Rooney was holding out for more money, telling Boyer he wouldn't work for what was being offered. Rooney was under the impression that negotiations were still ongoing, and with six months to go before next Spring Training, he probably was just taking a hard line figuring that there was no hurry to sign next years deal while this season wasn't even over.

It appears that the Sox/WSCR for whatever reason were anxious to announce that Rooney was gone. They still had months to get him to agree to stay, but they chose to announce that he's gone during the last month of a magical season. Seems a bit odd, doesn't it?

As for the part about having other things to pursue, Arvia reports that Brooks said he thinks that's what was on Rooney's mind.

If you only read what the White Sox web site reports, it appears that Rooney wanted to leave the Sox to pursue other opportunities. Clearly, that was not the case.Rooney was the one that informed the station and the Sox that he would not be coming back. How would one interpret that? Not that the negotiations were ongoing. Why would he be surprised that they announced it publicly?

JRIG
09-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Just reading some of the articles now...I'm very disappointed that we'll have 4 ex-baseball players on radio and TV, and exactly ZERO professional broadcasters.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Just reading some of the articles now...I'm very disappointed that we'll have 4 ex-baseball players on radio and TV, and exactly ZERO professional broadcasters.

I'd rather have Baines (dead air) than the three we have. The past decade or so I had the games on mute (TV) and listened to the radio. With Farmer PBP, I may just listen to jazz and glance up at the screen every so often.

The worst part about this is Farmer doing PBP - he talks too much as it is (without saying anything).

DickAllen72
09-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Rooney was the one that informed the station and the Sox that he would not be coming back.

That's what one side said. The other side says something else. Either there was a miscommunication, or one side is lying.

Why would Rooney inform the station he was not coming back, and then deny it when it was announced?

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 02:11 PM
That's what one side said. The other side says something else. Either there was a miscommunication, or one side is lying.

Why would Rooney inform the station he was not coming back, and then deny it when it was announced?I haven't read anywhere that Rooney denies informing the Sox that he wasn't coming back. Only that he was surprised they announced it publicly. Maybe it was a negotiating ploy on Rooney's part that backfired. But I see no reason to think the Sox were giving Rooney the bum's rush.

Brian26
09-03-2005, 02:29 PM
The more I think about this, the more pissed I get. I'm still not over the Wimpy departure. Nothing has been the same for me since. Rooney leaving is just another kick in the groin. *** is so fundamentally wrong with this organization that everything must be second rate?

Same feelings here. I don't want to think about the replacement possibilities. What I WANT is for Reindsorf or The Score to recognize the backlash at this ridiculousness and take an open checkbook over to Rooney's house and sign him to a five-year extension. Rooney is the best in the business, and you don't let the best in the business walk away after 18 years over money. This is absurd. This isn't like an overpaid pitcher asking for a four-million dollar raise when he comes up to free agency. Rooney is a lock in what he does. He's going to deliver every night, and he's part of the face of the organization. This is unacceptable.

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Same feelings here. I don't want to think about the replacement possibilities. What I WANT is for Reindsorf or The Score to recognize the backlash at this ridiculousness and take an open checkbook over to Rooney's house and sign him to a five-year extension. Rooney is the best in the business, and you don't let the best in the business walk away after 18 years over money. This is absurd. This isn't like an overpaid pitcher asking for a four-million dollar raise when he comes up to free agency. Rooney is a lock in what he does. He's going to deliver every night, and he's part of the face of the organization. This is unacceptable.It's real easy to spend other people's money. Why don't YOU take YOUR checkbook over to Rooney's house and write him a check for the difference?

Brian26
09-03-2005, 02:42 PM
It's real easy to spend other people's money. Why don't YOU take YOUR checkbook over to Rooney's house and write him a check for the difference?

Maybe I should just close my checkbook up altogether to the White Sox organization. That would be an easy solution, wouldn't it? They've got enough of my damn money over my lifetime that I can comment on this. Give me a break.

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Maybe I should just close my checkbook up altogether to the White Sox organization. That would be an easy solution, wouldn't it? They've got enough of my damn money over my lifetime that I can comment on this. Give me a break.Umm....Rooney is not a White Sox employee.

Brian26
09-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Umm....Rooney is not a White Sox employee.

Ummm....Yes he is.

TornLabrum
09-03-2005, 02:49 PM
I hope he won't mind me saying this. But I talked to him a few weeks ago, and he said he had a two-year deal. So I don't think he can get out of it.

I guess I'm just more tactful than you about what people tell me! :D:

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Ummm....Yes he is.Umm....No he isn't. But it's only stated in every article on the subject and about 5 times in this thread, so I don't know how you could be expected to know that. Don't let facts get in the way of a good "Cheap and Stupid" rant.

TornLabrum
09-03-2005, 02:52 PM
It's real easy to spend other people's money. Why don't YOU take YOUR checkbook over to Rooney's house and write him a check for the difference?

crector, is that you?

Unregistered
09-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Ummm....Yes he is..
The Sox announced Friday that John Rooney will not be back for the 2006 season. The team wanted the 17-year radio voice to return, but Rooney couldn't agree on a deal with the Sox's new broadcast outlet, WSCR-AM 670. The sports-talk station takes over next year.

TornLabrum
09-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Umm....No he isn't. But it's only stated in every article on the subject and about 5 times in this thread, so I don't know how you could be expected to know that. Don't let facts get in the way of a good "Cheap and Stupid" rant.

Under the current arrangement, the PBP and color announcers were employees of the club. They were paid by the White Sox. Brian Dolgin, on the other hand, was paid by WMVP.

Brian26
09-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Umm....No he isn't. But it's only stated in every article on the subject and about 5 times in this thread, so I don't know how you could be expected to know that. Don't let facts get in the way of a good "Cheap and Stupid" rant.

You're claiming right now that John Rooney isn't employed by the White Sox? You're joking? :?: All of the announcers (except Dolgin, who is employed by AM 1000) are employed directly by the White Sox.

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 02:56 PM
You're claiming right now that John Rooney isn't employed by the White Sox? You're joking? :?: All of the announcers (except Dolgin, who is employed by AM 1000) are employed directly by the White Sox.Peruse two posts above. Unregistered has quoted directly from the article. Although you could have easily done your own homework.

Brian26
09-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Peruse two posts above. Unregistered has quoted directly from the article. Although you could have easily done your own homework.

You're still claiming John Rooney is not an employee of the White Sox?

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 03:03 PM
You're still claiming John Rooney is not an employee of the White Sox?I guess all the news stories are wrong. Everybody is mistaken except you. How does it feel to be so smart?

Brian26
09-03-2005, 03:04 PM
I guess all the news stories are wrong. Everybody is mistaken except you. How does it feel to be so smart?

Is Rooney employed by AM 1000 right now? I don't understand why you won't admit that you made a mistake in what you said. Hal also verified this.

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Is Rooney employed by AM 1000 right now?Why don't you call him and ask him?

Brian26
09-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Why don't you call him and ask him?

Well, I'm just trying to figure out who is sending John his checks right now since he's not an employee of the Sox. :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Well, I'm just trying to figure out who is sending John his checks right now since he's not an employee of the Sox. :rolleyes:It's not that hard to figure out. Reading is a skill.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-03-2005, 03:15 PM
:tomatoaward

:wills

I'll get three Tomato's when they hire me. They better put this drillrod back as color man

:farmer

Stop interupting me Dave. Geez. As I was saying, I was eating guacamole and chips with my good friend Vida Pinson at El Agave in San Diego during our road trip in June.....

Brian26
09-03-2005, 03:15 PM
It's not that hard to figure out. Reading is a skill.

I was hoping you could throw some more personal insults my way, but since you won't admit you're mistake, I'll just end my input here.

Got to head down to the Cell soon anyway.

HotelWhiteSox
09-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Here is a response I got from Brooks after telling him how White Sox fans and I are disappointed about this.

Thanks for your note.

It is disappointing that John will not be on our broadcasts after this season. He is a fantastic broadcaster and I will personally miss the "and that's a White Sox winner" call.

With our new deal with WSCR, they handle the broadcaster negotiations. I do not know any of the details of the conversations between WSCR and John's agent as I was not on the phone or in the room. John and I communicated quite a bit throughout the negotiation process.

I think (and this is my opinion only) that during the process John really thought about what he wanted to do. He is a very talented broadcaster that has a wide range of talents (he has done basketball and baseball play by play as well as hosted call in shows) and I think he wants to explore the next steps in his career. It is a big broadcasting world out there and there may be other TV and radio opportunities that may interest him. I know he loves the White Sox organization, and I cannot blame him for wanting to grow. I personally wish him well. There is no animosity, rather a great mutual respect between John and the entire White Sox organization.

John will move on and pursue his broadcasting passion. We will work diligently with WSCR to bring the best radio broadcast possible for our fans next season.

Dick Allen
09-03-2005, 11:06 PM
More crap from the Score. What a shock. Maybe they could use some of the overpaid big-mouth North's salary to take care of Rooney, or just get rid of Nasal Queen Anne Maxfield. Oh wait, she's married to a Score exec. I may just skip listening to Sox broadcasts next year.

DickAllen72
09-03-2005, 11:27 PM
I haven't read anywhere that Rooney denies informing the Sox that he wasn't coming back. Only that he was surprised they announced it publicly.

Didn't you read this?

Rooney and the radio station were unable to come to terms --- though Rooney claimed Friday he had believed negotiations were ongoing.

"Well, it's final with the release, I guess," Rooney said. "Steve (Mandel, Rooney's agent) was still talking with people."

Ol' No. 2
09-03-2005, 11:40 PM
Didn't you read this?

Rooney and the radio station were unable to come to terms --- though Rooney claimed Friday he had believed negotiations were ongoing.

"Well, it's final with the release, I guess," Rooney said. "Steve (Mandel, Rooney's agent) was still talking with people."Yes, I read it. Didn't you read this?
I haven't read anywhere that Rooney denies informing the Sox that he wasn't coming back. Only that he was surprised they announced it publicly.Rooney told the Sox that he wasn't coming back. He never denies this. "I'm not coming back." Not "I might not be coming back" or "Negotiations are ongoing". If you're the White Sox, "I'm not coming back" sounds pretty final. Why would they NOT announce this?

You're basically implying that the Sox are lying and that they rushed a public announcement out to cut Rooney off. I see absolutely nothing to indicate there's any truth to that.

slavko
09-03-2005, 11:51 PM
If we're looking for a villain here, we might try a troll with a floundering show who's locked into a contract with WSCR at $1.7M per. That would strain any station's budget. His only redeeming virtue is his long-running fued with another media troll who, at least in this case, is not causing a popular PBP to be run off.

DickAllen72
09-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Yes, I read it. Didn't you read this?
Rooney told the Sox that he wasn't coming back. He never denies this.

According to Brooks, what Rooney said was, "I'm not going to work for what is being offered to me.'"

Rooney was stunned by the Sox announcement that he wasn't coming back. Why? Because his agent was still negotiating with WSCR trying to get more money.

If in fact Rooney told the Sox, "I'm not coming back," he wouldn't be stunned that they announced it unless he is a very unreasonable man. Also, he would not claim that he thought negotiations were still taking place unless he was either a liar or delusional.

I don't know Rooney personally, but he never struck me as being a liar, unreasonable or delusional.

On a side note, it's disappointing that they were so quick to name Farmer the play by play guy. They should at least try to find a good play by play guy to take Rooney's spot and let Farmer continue as the color man, since Farmer is not very good at play by play. I'll bet they (WSCR) already have a guy in mind for the color job and so either Rooney or Farmer had to go. Since Farmer signed first (probably cheap too) they were quick to announce Rooney is leaving so they can put their man in. Again, if they really wanted Rooney to stay, they had plenty of time to try to talk him into it.

I guess it's not that big a deal for me anyway, because the only time I listen to the Sox on the radio is when I'm in my car, or listening to a day game at work. Most of the time I'm watching on TV unless I'm at the game. But the radio broadcasts are gonna suck with Farmer doing the play by play.

cheeses_h_rice
09-04-2005, 12:24 AM
If we're looking for a villain here, we might try a troll with a floundering show who's locked into a contract with WSCR at $1.7M per. That would strain any station's budget. His only redeeming virtue is his long-running fued with another media troll who, at least in this case, is not causing a popular PBP to be run off.

My question regarding this political-ignoramus troll you refer to is, do his ratings justify AT ALL his insane salary?

Seriously, the Score morning show is absolutely the worst POS excuse for a sports talk show there could be. The troll who hosts it is no Don Imus, whatever the breadth of his guests and sidekicks.

cheeses_h_rice
09-04-2005, 12:30 AM
*shudder*

I just thought about what it's going to be like having Farmio doing PBP.

"Konerko comes to the plate to face Santana. Not Carlos Santana the guitarist, but Johan Santana. Not Johan Sebastian Bach, either, but he certainly does write symphonies with his slider.

First pitch looks like it's inside, but called a strike by home umpire Dana Demuth. Guess it caught the edge of the plate. Which reminds me of the plate of penne I had before the game...helluva spread they put on here at U.S. Cellular. Great job by the Levy empire. That's Levy and not Chevy, but if you wanted a Chevy, you could come out to the park and watch the Chevy Pride Crew in action. They give away a lot of free T-shirts. Which reminds me of the paint stain I got on my shirt last weekend, while I was trying to patch up the utility room at the ol' abode..."

ChiSoxGirl
09-04-2005, 12:32 AM
*shudder*

"Konerko comes to the plate to face Santana. Not Carlos Santana the guitarist, but Johan Santana. Not Johan Sebastian Bach, either, but he certainly does write symphonies with his slider.

First pitch looks like it's inside, but called a strike by home umpire Dana Demuth. Guess it caught the edge of the plate. Which reminds me of the plate of penne I had before the game...helluva spread they put on here at U.S. Cellular. Great job by the Levy empire. That's Levy and not Chevy, but if you wanted a Chevy, you could come out to the park and watch the Chevy Pride Crew in action. They give away a lot of free T-shirts. Which reminds me of the paint stain I got on my shirt last weekend, while I was trying to patch up the utility room at the ol' abode..."

Truer words have never been spoken. :o:

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-04-2005, 12:35 AM
*shudder*

Has KingXerxes hijacked CHR's account? :wink: Anyways, it's typical of the Score to do this...one step forward(getting the Sox), two steps back(letting Rooney walk and actually paying Mike North) seems to be their motto...

Gearbox
09-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Make way for Mike North. No doubt he'll engage in shameless self promotion to get the job...he and Owner Jerry are tight...

chitownhawkfan
09-04-2005, 01:14 AM
If it is the Score that is keeping us from hearing Rooney next season lets mobilize the Sox Army and bombard their email in boxes. Let them know we will be avoiding their station and skipping their advertisers.

Programming@670thescore.com

Cmon Sox Army lets stop this insanity.

Ol' No. 2
09-04-2005, 09:26 AM
According to Brooks, what Rooney said was, "I'm not going to work for what is being offered to me.'"

Rooney was stunned by the Sox announcement that he wasn't coming back. Why? Because his agent was still negotiating with WSCR trying to get more money.

If in fact Rooney told the Sox, "I'm not coming back," he wouldn't be stunned that they announced it unless he is a very unreasonable man. Also, he would not claim that he thought negotiations were still taking place unless he was either a liar or delusional.

I don't know Rooney personally, but he never struck me as being a liar, unreasonable or delusional.

On a side note, it's disappointing that they were so quick to name Farmer the play by play guy. They should at least try to find a good play by play guy to take Rooney's spot and let Farmer continue as the color man, since Farmer is not very good at play by play. I'll bet they (WSCR) already have a guy in mind for the color job and so either Rooney or Farmer had to go. Since Farmer signed first (probably cheap too) they were quick to announce Rooney is leaving so they can put their man in. Again, if they really wanted Rooney to stay, they had plenty of time to try to talk him into it.

I guess it's not that big a deal for me anyway, because the only time I listen to the Sox on the radio is when I'm in my car, or listening to a day game at work. Most of the time I'm watching on TV unless I'm at the game. But the radio broadcasts are gonna suck with Farmer doing the play by play.He're the full quote from Ed Sherman's article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050902sherman,1,4986752.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility): The Sox learned of Rooney's decision last weekend.

"I called John on Saturday and asked him 'What's going on here?'" said Brooks Boyer, the Sox vice president for marketing and broadcasting. "'I want to hear this from you. Are you really done here? Are you not sticking around?'

The Sox attempted to change his mind this week, but Rooney remained firm.While it might have been true that they were still negotiating with WSCR, nothing there suggests that was the gist of the conversation. It sounds final. Brooks doesn't strike me as being a liar, unreasonable or delusional, either. Maybe Rooney was trying to get some negotiating leverage and it backfired. But don't see any reason to think the Sox gave Rooney the bum's rush.

I agree that Farmer is not a good choice for PBP. I like Farmer, but not in that role. What he brings to the show is an insider's perspective and analysis. I'd much rather see another PBP guy and leave Farmer in the role he's in now. I watch with the sound off and the radio off a lot of times when Hawk forgets there's a game on and goes off on one of his tangents. I'll be very glad when the game is on a station that I can get after 8pm.

slavko
09-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Make way for Mike North. No doubt he'll engage in shameless self promotion to get the job...he and Owner Jerry are tight...

I don't think we have to worry about it, since the last time a Sox job was open he campaigned so hard for it he soiled himself and still didn't get it. JR needs to be loved and North is giving love, but JR can't be gullible enough to want him as a broadcaster, can he? (Pray with me.)

Ol' No. 2
09-04-2005, 10:53 AM
I don't think we have to worry about it, since the last time a Sox job was open he campaigned so hard for it he soiled himself and still didn't get it. JR needs to be loved and North is giving love, but JR can't be gullible enough to want him as a broadcaster, can he? (Pray with me.)Ratings would be so low that he'd get fired before May. Or Farmer would strangle him.

DickAllen72
09-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Brooks doesn't strike me as being a liar, unreasonable or delusional, either. Maybe Rooney was trying to get some negotiating leverage and it backfired.

That's probably what happened. It's a shame the way it turned out.

cheeses_h_rice
09-04-2005, 01:39 PM

There would be a torch-wielding mob at 35th & Shields if they hired Mike North to do anything associated with the White Sox.

Hangar18
09-04-2005, 01:52 PM
The only way I accept John Rooney not being in the Radio Booth
is if Bob Uecker is announced as the new Radio guy. The only way.
Watch for the north side team to fall down running, as they try to get a halloffame caliber talent like Rooney in their booth

(Future Trib Headline)
Cubs continue Hall Of Fame announcing tradition, sign Rooney
Routing Tigers while Hurrican victims suffered was last straw

Rooney loves "tradition"
Says north siders always the best

Nyls Nyman
09-04-2005, 02:03 PM
I can safely say that the biggest reason that I became a White Sox fan is because of John Rooney. I'm not a fan of watching baseball on TV - I prefer to listen to it on the radio so I can get things done while I watch. And John Rooney is one of the best two sub-60yo baseball PBP guys (Jon Miller is the other, for me it's an apples and oranges tie) in the business.

Farmio? He's improved to the point where he's just mediocre, as opposed to being absolutely unlistenable when he first started.

I am afraid that Rooney's going to go to St. Louis to go work for the new station. That'll kill me, I hate the Cardinals with all that is precious to me in this world.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-04-2005, 02:26 PM
(Future Trib Headline)
Cubs continue Hall Of Fame announcing tradition, sign Rooney
Routing Tigers while Hurrican victims suffered was last straw

Never going to happen. Pat Hughes is a very good PBP man - the only person I could listen to on TV or Radio during a cubs game. Santo is a debacle - makes Ed Farmer sound like the best ever.

I could see Rooney sign a national TV contract with ESPN and also do college basketball which they have about 100 games a week to cover. Maybe some College Football as well.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2005, 06:50 PM
John Rooney will be doing play by play for a MLB organization next season. Unfortunately it won't be with the White Sox.

Lip

Medford Bobby
09-05-2005, 03:29 PM
:o: I think this is what happen to Jim Durham when he was the Bulls long time radio guy....he wanted more money after the Bulls won their first championship. Jim thought he was an important part of the Bulls organization.....NOT!!

Maybe this is the final year of Wayne Hagen with the Cardinals and Rooney can go back to his Missouri roots and be the new Jack Buck:(:

slavko
09-05-2005, 03:52 PM
:o: I think this is what happen to Jim Durham when he was the Bulls long time radio guy....he wanted more money after the Bulls won their first championship. Jim thought he was an important part of the Bulls organization.....NOT!!

Yep, he hardballed JR and JR hardballed him. I believe his agent Darcy Bouzeos was part of the problem. I posted on Durham earlier in this thread and left out the fact that he was doing radio/TV simulcasts for the Bulls one year but WGNTV didn't want to run a verbose radio broadcast with its telecasts, so it had Durham do only the TV end of it and the radio outlet had to get another PBP for those games. The substitute PBP was JOHN ROONEY. He wasn't bad, either.

JR is apparently not part of the hardballing here; it seems to be a WSCR affair.

The Dude
09-05-2005, 06:06 PM
I just emailed the score with my take on the situation. I urge the rest of you to show your support for the voice of the Sox, John Rooney.

soxwon
09-05-2005, 06:22 PM

Hopefully his last year is a winner

the last time rooney quit was with the 87 twins, and they won the series that final year with him.

peeonwrigley
09-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Maybe this is the final year of Wayne Hagen with the Cardinals and Rooney can go back to his Missouri roots and be the new Jack Buck:(:

I heard Buehrle wants to go with him.

miker
09-06-2005, 11:32 AM
well what's rooney gonna do at espn?
Maybe he'll occasionally remind them that there is a team in Chicago called the White Sox.

This blows. Rooney rocked.

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm disappointed that Rooney will be gone. However, it would ease the sting if the Sox worked out a "trade" of sorts by getting Wayne Hagin back from the Cardinals if Rooney goes to Saint Louis. IIRC, Hagin's not quite as good as Rooney, but he's pretty damn good and he has experience working with and keeping a leash on Farmer.

billcissell
09-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Rooney was/is outstanding. He keeps the ego of Farmer in check. With the size of Farmer's head, it's hard to imagine him squeezing into the booth.

Why couldn't the Sox wait until the season was over to announce this?

To appreciate the excelllence of Rooney, you would have to endure some of the other Chicago announcers over the years. Brickhouse was pitiful on radio or tv. When he and Kupcinet did the Bear games on radio in the early to mid-70s it was truly humorous. Put the tv on, turn the sound down and listen to these two guys in the radio booth. You'd swear they weren't even watching the same game.

As Sox fans, we've had to endure guys like Jack Dress and Mel Parnell on UHF tv in the late 60s (ugh!) Wasn't there a time when the Sox radio broadcasts were only carried on a LaGrange station (1300AM?)?

Harry left after the '81 season because, in part, the new owners (Jerry and Eddie - cash and carry) didn't want an announcer to be the main focus of the team. And let's face it, Harry had a huge and devoted following, which really bothered Abbott and Costello.

I would be nice to bring back Dave Wills. And after all these years, what's Mary Shane doing? Her and Jimmy could have a reunion in the radio booth.

steff
09-06-2005, 12:36 PM

No.

Brian26
09-06-2005, 02:34 PM
No.

And we must all go to John Rooney's house with open checkbooks to sign him for next year since we've never spent any money on the Sox organization or purchased any of the products that are advertised on commercials on WSCR so that they could afford his contract. We're not allowed to bitch about anything, no matter how unjust it is.

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2005, 02:34 PM
:tomatoaward: :tomatoaward:

mandmandm
09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
I would be nice to bring back Dave Wills. And after all these years, what's Mary Shane doing? Her and Jimmy could have a reunion in the radio booth.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but according to MJH show the Sox management recommended Dave Wills to the Devil Rays becuase they no longer wanted him to have the Pre/post gig because he was over the top in his Cubs hatred. Consider the source but it was Mac who mentioned that there was going to be a big shakeup in the Sox announcement crews a week or two ago.

pczarapa
09-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Club announced tonight that Ed Farmer will make the switch to WSCR next year, but John Rooney will not.

That sucks

mike squires
09-06-2005, 03:32 PM
I'll miss Rooney a lot. i remember many a night in high school laying in bed listening to the games. I used to turn a homerun call up real loud so my dad downstairs could hear it. You can tell not only does he work for the team but he is a Whitesox fan as well. He's got a lot of passion.

steff
09-06-2005, 04:50 PM
And we must all go to John Rooney's house with open checkbooks to sign him for next year since we've never spent any money on the Sox organization or purchased any of the products that are advertised on commercials on WSCR so that they could afford his contract. We're not allowed to bitch about anything, no matter how unjust it is.

Yawn...

steff
09-06-2005, 04:51 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but according to MJH show the Sox management recommended Dave Wills to the Devil Rays becuase they no longer wanted him to have the Pre/post gig because he was over the top in his Cubs hatred. Consider the source but it was Mac who mentioned that there was going to be a big shakeup in the Sox announcement crews a week or two ago.

That made me laugh out loud, very loud.

Fenway
09-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Ronney was offered his dream job by

http://www.ktrs.com/images/550ktrs.gif

Mike Shannon will do color.

Bob Costas turned it down, Rooney was second choice

SouthSide_HitMen
09-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Ronney was offered his dream job by

http://www.ktrs.com/images/550ktrs.gif

Mike Shannon will do color.

Bob Costas turned it down, Rooney was second choice

Source?

Fenway
09-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Source?

that was the story being told at Fenway yesterday.

Rooney is a Missouri guy....outside of a national gig it is probably the only job he would leave Chicago for

http://www.mosportshalloffame.com/inducteebio.asp?inducteeid=317

http://www.mosportshalloffame.com/images/mosports_02.gif

peeonwrigley
09-06-2005, 05:20 PM
that was the story being told at Fenway yesterday.

Rooney is a Missouri guy....outside of a national gig it is probably the only job he would leave Chicago for

http://www.mosportshalloffame.com/inducteebio.asp?inducteeid=317

http://www.mosportshalloffame.com/images/mosports_02.gif

If that's the case more power to him.

Here's to anyone that will shut Farmer up next year.:gulp:

TornLabrum
09-06-2005, 05:24 PM

The story is bull****.

steff
09-07-2005, 05:22 AM
The story is bull****.

Understatement. :wink:

MsSoxVixen22
09-07-2005, 08:31 AM
I can't believe Rooney's gonna be gone. Rooney and Farmio are great t/g. If I was Farmio, I'd be like, if Rooney goes I go! God only knows who they'll pair with Farmio. This is truly a sad day. I can't believe we won't here that's a White Sox winner or it's a goner n e more! :whiner:

slavko
09-08-2005, 05:25 PM

This would require us to believe that it's easier or more direct to ship Dave off to Florida instead of, lets say, stop him in the hall and ask him in a nice way to back just a bit on the Cub bashing (if, indeed, this is what mgmt wanted). MJH have vivid imaginations.

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-08-2005, 06:31 PM
I can't believe Rooney's gonna be gone. Rooney and Farmio are great t/g. If I was Farmio, I'd be like, if Rooney goes I go! God only knows who they'll pair with Farmio. This is truly a sad day. I can't believe we won't here that's a White Sox winner or it's a goner n e more! :whiner:
I hear ya buddy. Not being able to hear that's a White SOx winner anymore is gonna suck. What am I gonna be able to say to annoy my family after the Sox Win? Nobody will ever replace Rooney.

antitwins13
09-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Well, I hope his last words as an announcer are... And that's a World Series WHITE SOX WINNER! WHITE SOX WINNER! WHITE SOX WINNER!

TornLabrum
09-08-2005, 11:30 PM
This would require us to believe that it's easier or more direct to ship Dave off to Florida instead of, lets say, stop him in the hall and ask him in a nice way to back just a bit on the Cub bashing (if, indeed, this is what mgmt wanted). MJH have vivid imaginations.

Yeah. Remember Jurko's comments about "Nothing But Nancy Day"?

slavko
09-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah. Remember Jurko's comments about "Nothing But Nancy Day"?
Distinctly. Why is there no parallel bulljive about the Cubs on their flagship station?

mandmandm
09-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Understatement. :wink:

Neither of my two preivous statements were opinions, just sports talk radio. I am pissed about Rooney leaving more than most. But the issue with JR and JR came down to money. All said in done, If Owner JR does not prodrduce a WS Champion this year it will be a quarter century of bad BASEBALL management(at least WINNING wise), and that can't be agrued!!!

Lip Man 1
09-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Mand:

You have to narrow and define your term 'winning.' If you mean 'championship' baseball you are exactly correct...if you mean 'winning' in the sense that when the season is done you have won more games then you lost, you are incorrect.

The Sox have had 15 'winning' season under current ownership. That's the most since back in the Golden Age of 1951 through 1967 when the Sox were owned by three individuals. (The Comiskey family, Veeck and Art Allyn)

As you know I am no fan of Uncle Jerry but fair is fair. He has fairly consistently produced a 'winner,' he's just never had the brains, the guts or has been willing to pay whatever is needed to buy a title. For that he needs to be held completely accountable.

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
09-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Neither of my two preivous statements were opinions, just sports talk radio. I am pissed about Rooney leaving more than most. But the issue with JR and JR came down to money. All said in done, If Owner JR does not prodrduce a WS Champion this year it will be a quarter century of bad BASEBALL management(at least WINNING wise), and that can't be agrued!!!

WSCR pays the announcers - not the White Sox. White Sox have final approval of the announcers but they are employees of their radio station. Rooney turned down WSCR's offer. Facts people.

Madvora
09-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Article in today's Trib about potential replacements for Rooney.
Mike North is listed as a long shot candidate as is Steve Stone. One name they mentioned would be absolutely perfect and I hope they get him - Jeff Torborg.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050912sherman,1,7808265.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

steff
09-13-2005, 12:47 PM

I wasn't speaking to you.. but since you responded to me I'll clarify that I was referring to your Dave Wills fairytale as TL called it bull****, and I agree with him.

As for this post.. you have no clue what you are talking about as Jerry has no control over what the Score offered John.

Ol' No. 2
09-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah. Remember Jurko's comments about "Nothing But Nancy Day"?I didn't hear them, but I assume they were

1. It was awful
2. They stole it from the Cubs
3. Both of the above:tongue:

DickAllen72
09-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Article in today's Trib about potential replacements for Rooney.
Mike North is listed as a long shot candidate as is Steve Stone. One name they mentioned would be absolutely perfect and I hope they get him - Jeff Torborg.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050912sherman,1,7808265.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Torborg does a good job on the Fox telecasts and I'd love to have him do the color for the Sox. I still can't stand the thought of Farmer doing the play by play, however.

DoItForDanPasqua
09-17-2005, 02:02 AM
Mike North would be the only person, in the entire universe, that could be worse than Hawk. I don't ask much in this world, my baseball team hasn't won a pennant in my lifetime. Please, for the love of God, don't let Mike North be the new Sox announcer.

SweetnesSox
10-09-2005, 04:59 PM
This was inspired by the thread about the ESPN 1000 crew's brilliant 6th inning broadcasting job of game 3:
Is anyone as depressed as I am to have john rooney and ed farmer broken up next year? Farmer's gonna be handling the play by play next year, which will be interesting, but I loved these guys together. I'm only 18, and I grew up on these two. It really depresses me. Do we have a replacement yet? and if not, let's start a petition of this thread and e-mail it.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 05:00 PM
The search function is your friend.

Damer
10-17-2005, 04:30 PM
If I'm correct that Mitch Rosen, the Program Director at WSCR, calls the shots, then I think we can make our voices heard.

This is his email: Mitch_Rosen@670thescore.com (note the underscore b/t mitch and rosen)

Let's let him know that Rooney is the best in the business and that they should make one more attempt at getting him back. (Heck, if Ken Macha can be let go--and then return 2 weeks later--surely we can get Rooney back in the booth.)

lths06
10-17-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm sure we have a chance until another one is named. Has anyone started a petition?