PDA

View Full Version : WGN pregame show

Jjav829
09-02-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm surprised this wasn't posted. From Scott Reifort's blog:

WGN-TV
Will debut a White Sox pregame show Saturday at 5:30 pm before televising our game at 6 pm.

That's interesting. I wonder if this will be a permanent thing or just something leading up to the playoffs. Either way, it's nice to see WGN finally giving the Sox some love.

Kogs35
09-02-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm surprised this wasn't posted. From Scott Reifort's blog:

That's interesting. I wonder if this will be a permanent thing or just something leading up to the playoffs. Either way, it's nice to see WGN finally giving the Sox some love.

they started it in 2003 when the sox where in boston for a weekend set and they also did it for the cubs in 03 and 04.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-02-2005, 07:11 PM
:knue
"Excuse me, excuse me, climbing aboard, climbing aboard... excuse me, excuse me..."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Cubune climbing on board the Sox bandwagon

:wink:

chisoxmike
09-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Yeah, the show is called "Push for the playoffs."

santo=dorf
09-02-2005, 11:04 PM
:knue
"Excuse me, excuse me, climbing aboard, climbing aboard... excuse me, excuse me..."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Cubune climbing on board the Sox bandwagon

:wink:

:roflmao:

They did this back in 2003, but sent scrub fan Dan Roan to Fenway Park. He didn't seem to care that the Sox were winning.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2005, 01:02 AM
I've often wondered about this myself.

For decades WGN-TV had the 'Lead-Off' Man show for both the Sox and Cubs. I have the television video for example, from April 10, 1961, when the Sox opened the season at Washington. It was 15-20 minutes long before every game.

Since the Sox signed back on to WGN-TV in 1990, I haven't ever seen it in connection with the Sox. It can't possibly be because they can't get a sponsor.

Lip

fahQ
09-03-2005, 02:06 AM
The program description is as follows,"A look at the White Sox and their upcoming match-ups as playoffs approach." Sounds like a one time cubbie network dealy.

SOXSINCE'70
09-03-2005, 09:11 AM
What??:o: :o: No sCrUBbie wild card pre game show????:roflmao: :roflmao:

P.S.- Saturday night's Sox win will be followed by a
documentary on former Sox outfielder (and current bench coach)
Harold Baines entitled "To Sleep,Perchance To Dream".:rolling: :rolling:

(Anyone who has seen Baines on the bench must know this
is a joke.Hey,if Santo can have "This Old sCrUB",someone on
the Sox should have a worthless documentary of their own).:D: :D:

duke of dorwood
09-03-2005, 09:21 AM
I've often wondered about this myself.

For decades WGN-TV had the 'Lead-Off' Man show for both the Sox and Cubs. I have the television video for example, from April 10, 1961, when the Sox opened the season at Washington. It was 15-20 minutes long before every game.

Since the Sox signed back on to WGN-TV in 1990, I haven't ever seen it in connection with the Sox. It can't possibly be because they can't get a sponsor.

Lip

I'm pretty old and I dont remember "The Lead Off Man" before any night games. That was great filler for daytime TV and also Cub games that had quarter hour start times

harwar
09-03-2005, 09:29 AM
They pretty much have to do this if they want to be a part of this big playoffs run.
Typical,ignore and trash us until the White Sox make the post-season then they are our biggest fans.
Everybody loves a winner.

oldcomiskey
09-03-2005, 11:28 AM
:roflmao:

They did this back in 2003, but sent scrub fan Dan Roan to Fenway Park. He didn't seem to care that the Sox were winning.

Roan is fairly objective as is Rich King so I have no complaints there

Vernam
09-03-2005, 12:17 PM
They did this back in 2003, but sent scrub fan Dan Roan to Fenway Park. He didn't seem to care that the Sox were winning.Is Roan broadly considered anti-Sox? I've never seen it. Among Trib Co. employees, he's always struck me as one who gives the Sox a fair shake. We lived out of state much of the 80s and 90s, and his reports kept us going. Now that fat freak Sid Garcia, he was a complete Trib toady who never missed a chance to slam the Sox. We celebrated the day they hired Rich King, bland though he is.

VC

SouthSide_HitMen
09-03-2005, 01:28 PM
What??:o: :o: No sCrUBbie wild card pre game show????

I am sure there will be a live feed of the Buffett concert. No teal :(:

Lip Man 1
09-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Duke:

Don't know if it was on at night or not. My only point was that the Lead Off Man show was on (at least at times) for both clubs. Since the Sox returned to WGN-TV in 1990, I've never see a 'pre game' show used in connection with them since. And WGN does show Sox day games as well.

It would be perfect say for a weekday afternoon game.

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
09-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Roan is fairly objective as is Rich King so I have no complaints there

Back in May when WGN had that pregame special before the Sox/Scrubs series, Roan said that Rich King grew up and is still a die hard Sox fan. Let's hope it's Rich King hosting tonight and not the unbiased Dan Roan.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Chisoxgirl:

Rich King's interview with WSI:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2435

Lip

santo=dorf
09-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Is Roan broadly considered anti-Sox?
VC

I wouldn't say he's against the Sox, it just seemed he wasn't interested in them during the 2003 stretch run.

The Critic
09-04-2005, 08:24 AM
What??:o: :o: No sCrUBbie wild card pre game show????:roflmao: :roflmao:

P.S.- Saturday night's Sox win will be followed by a
documentary on former Sox outfielder (and current bench coach)
Harold Baines entitled "To Sleep,Perchance To Dream".:rolling: :rolling:

(Anyone who has seen Baines on the bench must know this
is a joke.Hey,if Santo can have "This Old sCrUB",someone on
the Sox should have a worthless documentary of their own).:D: :D:

"Silent But Deadly: The Harold Baines Story"
:redneck

BeeBeeRichard
09-04-2005, 08:56 AM
In the 70s, I recall an on-field/at-park pregame show on Channel 44 called "On Deck"--the equivalent of "Lead-Off Man." It was 15 minutes, so would start at 7:45 or 7:15, etc. Immediately prior to that (at 7:30, 7:00, whatever), I have a very vague recollection of another show, in a studio setting, perhaps live/perhaps not, hosted by (maybe?) Al Lerner. Anyone remember this pregame setup?

Lip Man 1
09-04-2005, 02:48 PM
They also had a show that was called something like 'the second hungry sports fans in America' or 'the hungriest fans in America,' something like that. It was hosted by someone named Dick Gonski.

I know for sure because I was a guest on it. Had to drive down to Marina City. I remember talking about the Sox picking up Eddie Fisher in mid 1972. LOL.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
09-04-2005, 03:52 PM
"Silent But Deadly: The Harold Baines Story"
:redneck

Your idea is better.Touche`!!

:hawk
"Nice goin',kid".

:harold
"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.HUH??WHA??"