PDA

View Full Version : KW comments on Frank's future

Jjav829
09-02-2005, 08:05 AM
"In this particular case and the dollars you're talking about, you have to walk lightly and be mindful," general manager Ken Williams said Thursday. "It's a tough line to walk because you have to separate your personal, emotional and nostalgic interests.

"Again, I'd like to see him get that 500 [homers] in a Sox uniform, but you have to be mindful of what your business responsibilities are."

"Whatever it is you have to pay on a contract might cause you to suffer in other areas of the ballclub," Williams said. "And it has been a couple years since we've had his services. What could you have done with that payroll if you had it available in the off-season to better your team?

"We have to take a look at the whole and make the whole as strong as we possibly can make it. We won't know what direction we're heading until the close of the season."

Those are some telling quotes right there. Reading between the lines, he basically confirms what most of us thought; that the Sox will buy out Frank's contract. But after that, who knows. It seemed possible that maybe the Sox and Frank would work out a new contract. But that 3rd quote would seem to indicate that KW is leaning the other way.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050901soxbits,1,5509932.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Flight #24
09-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Those are some telling quotes right there. Reading between the lines, he basically confirms what most of us thought; that the Sox will buy out Frank's contract. But after that, who knows. It seemed possible that maybe the Sox and Frank would work out a new contract. But that 3rd quote would seem to indicate that KW is leaning the other way.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050901soxbits,1,5509932.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

It's going to depend completely on how willing Frank is to take something almost entirely PT-based. If he takes a $2mil salary with up to $5mil in incentives, he'll stay. If not, barring some ridiculous pay bump, there'll be other ways to spend the $$$.

Or maybe, just maybe, JR gives KW a "Frank allowance" over and above whatever the budget is to keep the big guy around.

34 Inch Stick
09-02-2005, 10:20 AM
If it was up to KW, Frank would have been gone years ago. Hopefully JR will take a personal interest in this negotiation. Hell, he let Paxson pay Pippen a huge amount of money well after Pippen had any real value. Shouldn't Frank be treated in a similar fashion?

Jaffar
09-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Or maybe, just maybe, JR gives KW a "Frank allowance" over and above whatever the budget is to keep the big guy around.

I would like to see something along these lines for the simple fact of the PR move. How dissapointing will it be to see the big guy suiting up with another team for the final years of his career (assuming the ankle heals).

soxfanreggie
09-02-2005, 11:58 AM
I think Frank would be willing to sign for less to retire as a Sox player. I think JR should open up the checkbook to give him a reasonable amount to stay here and finish his career. Obviously, he won't get $10 mil a year...but I could see a 3 year, $6-9 million loaded with incentives. Obviously if he can hit over 25 homers and knock in a bunch, he could make more. I could see the base salary being $2-3 mil per year with incentives that could probably double (a game minimum, certain batting stats) or triple (like 35-40 homers) his base.

I think it is very important to have Frank retire with the Sox. Even if he doesn't dh every day, he still has a great stick. I have a very positive feeling that Frank will retire with the Sox.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-02-2005, 12:24 PM
I don't read much of anything into what Kenny said except:

1.) He hasn't made up his mind what he wants to do, and
2.) He isn't even considering the situation until after this season has ended.

Given that today is September 2 and the team is still in the middle of a championship quest, I would have been surprised if Kenny Williams had said anything different than what he said here.

This is neither the time or place to be talking about Frank Thomas's future with the Sox and he basically said the same thing about Paul Konerko's future with the Sox earlier this summer.

Sorry. There is no news here.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-02-2005, 01:16 PM
If it was up to KW, Frank would have been gone years ago. Hopefully JR will take a personal interest in this negotiation. Hell, he let Paxson pay Pippen a huge amount of money well after Pippen had any real value. Shouldn't Frank be treated in a similar fashion?

The NBA with their salary caps / minimums is a different scenario. JR has a budget with the White Sox and KW must construct a team based on that budget.

I would love Frank to finish here if he infact chooses to rehab and try to comeback from these latest injuries. The problem is we have to prepare for the scenario Frank is unable to return or gets re injured or suffers another injury. We will need a backup like Everett to take over if Frank is unable to pay.

I think JR / KW will take the buyout and offer Frank a contract with incentives so he doesn't cripple the team if he signs and is rewarded if he produces. I don't think many (if any) teams will give Frank a big contract based on his injuries and age so I think we will see Frank end his career here (if he hasn't already done so).

Lip Man 1
09-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Given the nature of Frank's injury it seems likely that the 'market' for him will be small unless he can show perhaps in private workouts, that he can play. So I'd assume the Sox would offer him an incentive laden deal. That puts the 'burden' to use a word, on Frank, to decide if he wants to take a chance that someone else will make him a better offer or stay with the Sox.

Lip

Deadguy
09-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I could see the AL West teams and a few teams in the AL East giving Frank something similar to what the Indians gave Juan Gonzalez this year, but that's about it.

Unless a ML team moves to Las Vegas in 2006, I don't see Frank going anywhere, if he does in fact play again.

It sounds like KW and Frank are getting along better now than they were from 2002-04, so I think something will be worked out.

Optipessimism
09-02-2005, 07:07 PM
I honestly don't think KW wants him back at all, and to some extenet I can't blame him. While I'd love for the Sox to work out an incentive-laden short term deal to remain with the Sox for the rest of his carreer, it just makes for more work for the office, more work for Ozzie, and more money to be spent.

If something gets worked out then we're going to have to go through another season of having to wait around to see if Frank is healthy. If and when he comes back, someone is going to be removed from the lineup and Ozzie is going to have to continue to shuffle the lineup around to make sure someone else gets playing time.

Let's say the Sox retain Paulie at 1B and they choose to keep Everett as a 4th OF/DH. The Sox still need another big bat, preferrably a LH bat, so say they go out and grab Huff or Griffey or something in the offseason. This gives them a formidable lineup, but when Frank comes back, who do you sit? Who do you take out of the lineup for a guy who once was the greatest hitter in team history, but now struggles to stay healthy?

The alternative would probably be resigning Paulie and taking out their option for '06 on Everett, putting them in the same position they are in now and hurt from before in that they don't have enough offense to get through a bad stretch. The hope would be that Thomas would come back and strengthen the team, but what if he doesn't? Or what if he comes back and messes his ankle up again and this time is done for the year? Then KW finds himself having to try to pry another bat away from some other team and finds himself overpaying if he is successful at all.

The bottom line is, keeping Frank here is going to cost the organization much more than money. He could actually become more of a burden than anything else and immediately puts a big question mark on whoever it is that is filling his spot. I think the best course of action, for all involved, would be to see Thomas sign an incentive-laden one year deal with another team. If he is healthy and becomes a FA, bring him back to finish his career here. If not, he'll still go into the Hall in a Sox jersey.

wassagstdu
09-03-2005, 08:53 AM
I do hope the Sox and Thomas will work something out that allows him to retire as a Sox and remain associated in some way after. Looking back on Frank's career it is hard not to feel sad that (a) one of the greatest hitters in the history of the game had his standing diminished by a bunch of cheaters like Giambi, and (b) that the Sox organization could not figure out how to build a winner around him. What if the strike had not happened, the juice era had not happened, and the Sox had built a team like the 2005 one around him instead of trying to clone him and ending up with a team of 8 DHs? We can all see now that the way to enhance Frank's value was to put Pods and Iguchi in front of him, not Belle behind him. (I wonder how many on this board agree with that now vs a few years ago?) What would the 2005 team look like with Frank in his prime?

Anyway, the Sox know who Frank is and was, and that the fact that the team has no championships to show for his monumental career is not his fault.
It would be a shame to see him in any other uniform. More than a shame.