PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from a week in Chicago...

Bisco Stu
09-02-2005, 02:45 AM
And I felt the local media was pretty fair to the Sox from what I caught. I read the Times not the Cubune though. But my Mom did have WGN in the car when we drove to my sister's house in the burbs for a mini-family reunion bbq, and even the WGN boring announcers were talking about the Sox.

But I don't scrutinize it as some of you Soxperts do, just my general impression.

Though the Karri Wood "shutdown" story was greatly exaggerated I have to admit, I mean, hasn't he been shutdown all season?

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-02-2005, 07:06 AM
And I felt the local media was pretty fair to the Sox from what I caught. I read the Times not the Cubune though. But my Mom did have WGN in the car when we drove to my sister's house in the burbs for a mini-family reunion bbq, and even the WGN boring announcers were talking about the Sox.

But I don't scrutinize it as some of you Soxperts do, just my general impression.

Though the Karri Wood "shutdown" story was greatly exaggerated I have to admit, I mean, hasn't he been shutdown all season?

Hope you had a good time.

You came at a weird point in the season though - press coverage has increased because the perception of the '69 choke mentality is being trotted out. Had you come to town before the ASB, you would have seen 1/2 the coverage to the Sox that the Cubs were getting. I don't know who said it, but now the Sox remain the "above the fold" story in the Trib, and the only time the Sox aren't back page material is when there's Bear news.

daveeym
09-02-2005, 08:18 AM
The cubs are all but mathematically eliminated now also. There's nothing else to talk about cept the bears and they blow also.

Hangar18
09-03-2005, 11:04 AM

You shoudlve been here in 2003. 2004 was unbelievable ..... as far as cubpoganda and cub coverage goes. Ive gotten some nasty messages from
media types who think I go way overboard pointing out the medias faults in this town, but I said to them, isnt it all still TRUE? (Yes, they were cub fans, purely interested in the status quo is what im thinking)

Just think, it took all the way til SEPTEMBER, before the SOX start getting a
bit more coverage ...... and its mostly because the teams showing signs of choking massively down the stretch. :angry: