PDA

View Full Version : Slappy no more?

chisoxfanatic
09-02-2005, 01:54 AM
I've noticed that Juan Uribe has been much more disciplined at the plate the last few games. He's taking more pitches, not swinging at everything he sees as much as the greater of the 5/6 of the season that has been. Perhaps he's been spending time with Walker or something. Whatever he's been doing, hopefully he can do more of it.

TheOldRoman
09-02-2005, 01:58 AM
I believe Walt Hrniak spent time with Uribe at the request of Frank. Frank seemed to take Uribe under his wing this year while he was here, and it was working for a while. However, Uribe got back to his old habits before Frank left. I said before that I think Uribe had all the talent in the world, and I think it is all about discipline at the plate. I may have had a little too much kool-aid, but I see something special in Uribe. Hopefully working with Hrniak can bring it out in him.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-02-2005, 02:08 AM
I believe Walt Hrniak spent time with Uribe at the request of Frank. Frank seemed to take Uribe under his wing this year while he was here, and it was working for a while. However, Uribe got back to his old habits before Frank left. I said before that I think Uribe had all the talent in the world, and I think it is all about discipline at the plate. I may have had a little too much kool-aid, but I see something special in Uribe. Hopefully working with Hrniak can bring it out in him.

People have been rough on Uribe but he is only 25 and I think re created high expectations after last season. The Sox have him for 2 more years minimum and when all is said and done he will be an asset to the White Sox as he has been (especially 2004).

chuckn98229
09-02-2005, 02:09 AM
I should probably know this, but does anyone know how many walks Uribe has had this season? He seems to swing like a madman at just about any pitch.

Chips
09-02-2005, 02:10 AM
I started to notice this around the time of the losing streak, I like it. Having our number 8 or 9 hitter see more pitches can only help out our team.

ATXBMX
09-02-2005, 03:12 AM
yeah, and he's using right field more.

See: 2 doubles tonight

Banix12
09-02-2005, 03:21 AM
He's historically a streaky hitter so I wouldn't get too happy just yet. Though he has looked better as of late it could just be another streak before he goes on another bad one. Hopefully though he's figuring something out. Just wait and see.

daveeym
09-02-2005, 09:14 AM
yeah, and he's using right field more.

See: 2 doubles tonight That's the big thing. Up the middle and to the right side. His swing looks so much more controlled. And it looks like he's not the only one doing this lately.

All I can say, dem jocks is stubborn and dense as hell.

doublem23
09-02-2005, 09:47 AM
He's historically a streaky hitter so I wouldn't get too happy just yet. Though he has looked better as of late it could just be another streak before he goes on another bad one. Hopefully though he's figuring something out. Just wait and see.

Agreed, but hopefully he can go on a nice, month-long hot streak. Our lineup is much more ferocious with Uribe turning it over with some pop than when he is just an automatic strikeout.

FielderJones
09-02-2005, 09:53 AM
I should probably know this, but does anyone know how many walks Uribe has had this season? He seems to swing like a madman at just about any pitch.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/212040

24 walks in 119 games. Yikes!

harwar
09-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Just stopping him from,swinging at the first pitch no matter what,is a good thing.
Also,his defense at short had been improved from last year.

miker
09-02-2005, 02:42 PM
24 walks in 119 games. Yikes!
Hmmm, reminds of me a Sox shortstop that rarely walked and played steady, if unspectacular defense in from the mid-80s to early 90s...that Guillen guy didn't turn out bad after all...

If Uribe is learning how to control himself at the plate, things will get even more interesting around here. If its just a hot streak, I hope he keeps it up through the end of October!

maurice
09-02-2005, 02:45 PM
24 BB in 119 games would be an outstanding rate for Guillen.
In '96, Guillen had only 10 BB in 150 games.

Huisj
09-02-2005, 06:38 PM
I never really thought of Uribe as a "slappy" hitter. For slappy, watch Mike Caruso's swing, hence that being his nickname. I think Hacky fits Uribe better, because he takes wild hacks at everything. Slap is more wristy and quick, but Uribe takes massive cuts with his entire body flailing around at the ball.

SoxFan76
09-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Whenever he hits a single, it's so deceiving because he swings as hard as he can every time. You would swear the ball was going 500 feet as it falls 3 feet behind the 2nd baseman.

maurice
09-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Uribe hit 23 HR, 31 2B, and 6 3B last year. He's twice had a SLG > .500.
He's got plenty of power. He's just extremely inconsistent. Then again, he's only 26.