PDA

View Full Version : A Baseball Prospectus Take on the White Sox.

FloridaSox
09-01-2005, 05:25 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4395

Key points:

1. Month RS/G RA/G
Apr-Jun 4.81 3.71
Jul-Aug 4.41 4.56

Diff .40 -.84

Early on we outscored the oppositon. Since July, oppostion has outscored us.

2. Buerhle, Garland and Garcia have declined in the second half while other pitchers have actually improved:

April-June
Players IP RA HR/9 H/9 K/BB
GGB 342.3 3.15 .74 7.94 3.22
Rest 355.7 4.20 1.14 8.25 1.83

July-August
Players IP RA HR/9 H/9 K/BB
GGB 218.7 5.06 1.15 10.62 2.22
Rest 265.7 4.17 .81 7.76 1.87

Conclusion: "the White Sox are counting on the GGB to make it through to greatest show on Earth (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ps/index.jsp), and in order for them to carry the Sox, they will have to pitch like they did the first three months of the season."

MarySwiss
09-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Oh gosh, negative press!

Well, that's new! :rolleyes:

samram
09-01-2005, 05:42 PM
So their conclusion is that the top of the rotation is key to the Sox playoff chances? Man, is there too high a price to pay for information like that? I think not.

FloridaSox
09-01-2005, 05:43 PM
And are you concerned how the top three of the rotation have pitched since July--Runs Against up by almost two runs? I am.

arbutron
09-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Oh gosh, negative press!

Well, that's new! :rolleyes:

I've not been a boo-bird or naysayer by any means.

but those are cold hard facts, black n' white numbers. Dont call THAT negative press. Mariotti handles that department.

Jjav829
09-01-2005, 05:57 PM
So their conclusion is that the top of the rotation is key to the Sox playoff chances? Man, is there too high a price to pay for information like that? I think not.

So, let me get this straight. If Buehrle, Garcia and Garland are at their best, we have a good chance of winning in the playoffs? If they're not, we have a good chance of going home early? Wow, that's really breaking it down right there. Let me go get my credit card right now! Can I buy two subscriptions? :rolleyes:

OEO Magglio
09-01-2005, 06:04 PM
I never liked BP and I'm sure I never will.

MarySwiss
09-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I've not been a boo-bird or naysayer by any means.
but those are cold hard facts, black n' white numbers. Dont call THAT negative press. Mariotti handles that department.

Excuse me, but did you read the article or just the original post? Facts are facts, but they can be interpreted a whole bunch of different ways.

And you gotta love the spin in this article. Re the part about Buerhle accusing the Rangers of cheating.

The writer says that "nobody" in the press (hot link) agreed, and if you click the link, it takes you to a Dallas Morning News article. Now THAT'S objective!

"Nobody" in the dugout (hot link) agreed either; that links to--surprise--a Tribune article, which quotes Ozzie--and a whole bunch of Rangers.

Next, the writer claims that it's not fair to accuse Buerhle of whining (hot link) and if you click the link, it takes you to a bunch of statements by Carl Everett that have absolutely no bearing on the discussion at hand.

Not to mention that the writer's statement that it's unfair to accuse Buerhle of "making a habit of whining" when he's the one doing it seems kind of, well, disingenuous.

In short, I stand by my original statement.

samram
09-01-2005, 06:41 PM
So, let me get this straight. If Buehrle, Garcia and Garland are at their best, we have a good chance of winning in the playoffs? If they're not, we have a good chance of going home early? Wow, that's really breaking it down right there. Let me go get my credit card right now! Can I buy two subscriptions? :rolleyes:

Well, I'm buying three, so I'll be the smartest man in the world!