PDA

View Full Version : Post-Sept. 1 trade question

mdep524
09-01-2005, 10:58 AM
As we all know, a player acquired or added to the 40-man roster after September 1 is not eligible for the post season roster. But because there are 3 playoff rounds, the roster can be changed for each. On the radio yesterday Levine made it sound like anybody on the 40-man roster becomes available again for the second round, and then again for the third. So my question is can a player who is added to the 40-man roster after Sept. 1 be eligible for the second (ALCS) or third (WS) round of the playoffs?

UofCSoxFan
09-01-2005, 11:06 AM
My understanding is as follows: the only people eligible for ANY playoff round arethose on the 40 man roster as of midnight on September 1. Exemptions are given to those on the 15 day dl...read Crede or Thomas. The playoff rosters are still at 25 men...like they are at the major league level before Sept 1. So what happens before each playoff series is 25 men from the 40 eligible are selected to be on the active playoff roster. So no, no one that is traded for after september 1 is elligible for the playoffs, no matter what round, because they were not on the 40 man roster at mindnight September 1.

Iwritecode
09-01-2005, 12:23 PM
My understanding is as follows: the only people eligible for ANY playoff round arethose on the 40 man roster as of midnight on September 1. Exemptions are given to those on the 15 day dl...read Crede or Thomas. The playoff rosters are still at 25 men...like they are at the major league level before Sept 1. So what happens before each playoff series is 25 men from the 40 eligible are selected to be on the active playoff roster. So no, no one that is traded for after september 1 is elligible for the playoffs, no matter what round, because they were not on the 40 man roster at mindnight September 1.

I believe that is correct.

Also add that it doesn't have to be the same 25 players for each round though.

Ol' No. 2
09-01-2005, 01:12 PM
My understanding is as follows: the only people eligible for ANY playoff round arethose on the 40 man roster as of midnight on September 1. Exemptions are given to those on the 15 day dl...read Crede or Thomas. The playoff rosters are still at 25 men...like they are at the major league level before Sept 1. So what happens before each playoff series is 25 men from the 40 eligible are selected to be on the active playoff roster. So no, no one that is traded for after september 1 is elligible for the playoffs, no matter what round, because they were not on the 40 man roster at mindnight September 1.Not quite. The pool of players from which playoff rosters can be selected is not 40. It includes anyone on the 25 man roster or the 15-day DL on Sept 1. The exception is for players on the 15-day DL who cannot return, they can substitute another player who, I believe, must be on the 40-man roster on Sept 1.

Huisj
09-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Basically, don't players on the DL effectively create "floating" roster spots? In other words, if a team has 2 guys on the DL, it means that those two guys can be replaced by anyone who is on the 40 man roster as of Sept. 1 whether or not they were on the 25 man roster. If a team had no players at all on the DL, then their playoff roster would bet limited to only the 25 players up on August 31, unless a player got hurt between then and the playoffs, in which case they could choose someone else off the 40 man roster for that spot. Am I correct on this?

Didn't the Sox do something like this is 2000 when they left Mark Johnson off the playoff roster and instead went with Josh Paul, or was it that they left someone else off and went with Chad Bradford? I can't exactly remember, but I feel like one of those guys (Paul or Bradford) wasn't with the team until September, but they were taken for the playoff roster because of some floating DL spots, which were actually pretty lame injuries (some relief pitcher who got hurt before the season even started I think).