PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Take from Scot Gregor in Herald

Flight #24
09-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Taken from: http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=89309

While shielding his players from as much outside pressure as possible, Guillen also has kept everyone fresh heading into the final month of the season.

He let a lot of Augustís lethargic play slide, but now that the Sox are nearing the end of the season, Guillen is prepared to do some serious pushing.

Heís not going to sit back and say nothing if Garcia, Buehrle, Garland and Hernandez continue to get knocked around.

He wonít put up with sloppy defensive efforts like second baseman Tadahito Iguchi and third baseman Geoff Blum delivered in Texas. And when runners are in scoring position with less than two outs, Guillen is going to start demanding that they score.

This seems spot on to me. August is tough regardless, especially when you have a big lead. Injuries hit, forcing some lower-level subs into regular play. Ozzie knows you can't keep the pressure on guys all year without burning them out, and that's especially true when you've got the other factors mentioned above in play.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ozzie gathers the guys today, cracks some joke about "are you all still here? I told that ****in KW to trade all you clowns!", and then gets serious talking about the last month, the execution, and what needs to happen. Add in the schedule lightening up, and I think we're about to see the team playing a lot better.

samram
09-01-2005, 10:34 AM
If this is how Ozzie is going to handle it, this is great news. I was going to start judging them by how they were playing starting September 20, but with the lead being cut somewhat I would say I would like to see them just about full throttle and playing crisply starting around September 15th, if only to clinch a few days earlier, and be well-rested, but still playing well, heading into the postseason.

Frater Perdurabo
09-01-2005, 10:37 AM
:threadrules:
...simply for making me feel better after a rough month.

Even though it's time to get the starters sharp for the playoffs, with the 40-man roster callups, Ozzie still should work decent hitters like Gload and Anderson into platoon situations. These guys consistently have produced at the plate and have earned the opportunity to help spark the offense.

Pods should get one off day per week and one start at DH per week from here on out. Anderson can back up all three OF positions, playing each once per week, giving Dye and Rowand each one day off per week. Konerko should DH twice and sit once per week, with Gload getting three starts at first base each week. Everett should DH the other four game per week, since he seems to hit well even when he has a few days off. This way, Ozuna and Blum can focus on backing up at third, short and second, and Timo can ride the pine (and infrequently pinch-hit) where he belongs.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Great link, great perspective. I see Ozzie doing something like making the clubhouse look like a road clubhouse as a joke...so they feel "at home".

August's over - put 'em on track, and start taking *** and kicking names in September. Or, something like that.

wilburaga
09-01-2005, 11:18 AM
At least we have no more regular season West Coast road trips on the horizon. Our friendly schedulemakers dispatched the Sox 5 separate times to the West Coast this season, which seems excessive to me. Both desultory swings through Texas came immediately following a West Coast gig.

April 25-27 Oakland
May 23-26 Angels
June 6-12 Rockies and San Diego
July 1-3 Oakland
Aug 26-28 Seattle

W

wdelaney72
09-01-2005, 11:35 AM
I'd like to believe this to be the situation. There's only one way to find out.. and that's by seeing how this team plays in September. If it resembles their August performance in any way, we're in for a very abbreviated October.

Like I said, I hope this is an accurate perspective. I'm certainly willing to give the team and Ozzie the benefit of the doubt.

Sxy Mofo
09-01-2005, 12:25 PM
I've said it all along. Ozzie has worked with bobby cox, and has worked on then world series champion marlin's team. He's seen teams win championships and pennants. I think he knows how important being ready for the playoffs as opposed to being burnt out is, which is why he's ok with the losses now as a result of playing backups like regulars..

Part of me wonders if he wishes the lead were a little closer.

RallyBowl
09-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Good perspective. Ozzie will get them going. I predict a great month, with us hitting our stride and playing our best ball by the last homestand.

09-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Its like reading a get well card when your in the hospital...Yesterday was the first game I really got upset with Ozzie (maybe a bit when he was putting Vizcaino in too much beofre he got better), from the lineup (Ozuna, Blum, Harris and Timo) to leaving El Duque in too long, but I trust he will keep the fire lit.

downstairs
09-01-2005, 02:21 PM
I'll buy that. The proof will be in the pudding, but at this point... its fair to grant Ozzie that strategy.

Now, playing devil's advocate here.... many coaches and players, who have had World Series experience, have said that resting players is a bad idea, and that you need to push hard for all 162 games regardless of your lead-- even regardless of already clinching.

Baseball is not basketball or football in terms of "being tired".

Again, not saying I agree 100% with either... but there are dissenting opinions to this strategy.

HotelWhiteSox
09-01-2005, 03:21 PM
This is the way I looked at the August skid, it was tough to sit through, but I think it will really help this long run, there's a reason they're called the Dog Doys. I look at August as Spring Training and September as April again, hopefully they'll be able to put things in overdrive

soxrme
09-01-2005, 03:28 PM
If the same lineup wins two games in a row, take a freaking gamble and go for three:o:

Flight #24
09-01-2005, 03:35 PM
I'll buy that. The proof will be in the pudding, but at this point... its fair to grant Ozzie that strategy.

Now, playing devil's advocate here.... many coaches and players, who have had World Series experience, have said that resting players is a bad idea, and that you need to push hard for all 162 games regardless of your lead-- even regardless of already clinching.

Baseball is not basketball or football in terms of "being tired".

Again, not saying I agree 100% with either... but there are dissenting opinions to this strategy.

IIRC, when I've seen that comment it's usually in terms of resting guys "down the stretch". The thinking being that they're not in gear when the playoffs start. Seems to me that the strategy of resting them more during July/August and playing them more regularly in September would fit very well with keeping guys rolling when they hit the postseason.